• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
March 05, 2021, 06:02:54 am

News:

If the login link isn't  appearing on the top of the front page, use these links to access it:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=login 

SWAP 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:05:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CCL

January 16, 2021, 09:08:54 am #175 Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:59:05 am by CCL
@Medea - you inspired me to go look at the Ginger Jeans pattern again.  I haven't ever made jeans, but this pattern might be an easier start on jeans making for me.  I was in awe of the SWAP @treefrog did a number of years ago with cargo pants, bras, jeans...so professional!

@Turquoise - you have the secret of online shopping - I have learned the hard way not to be too disappointed when fabric arrives and it's not really suitable for the vision I had.  The better reaction is "oh, an opportunity to keep on looking.  Now, what will this be a good fabric for???"  Course, easier said than done.

@stephaniecan - I love love that waistcoat.  Would you mind if I copycat you?  I have enough of the blue check/plaid fabric left over from the skirt for a vest and was planning to use a tried-n-true pattern, but also thinking of using a traditional vest pattern recently purchased.  Like the one you are using so much better!  Can't wait to see it made up.

@kowgiirl.up  - The hat.  Thanks for the compliment.  After Christmas 1/2 off sale Pendleton present to myself.  I love it. I need a hat with a brim and this one does the trick for winter (warmer).

@warpjr1965 - what worked to get my sewing juices going for me was to start with a pattern I had made before and knew what to expect... reduced one of those mental barriers. Actually, I am still sort of in that place (disregarding what I just wrote about wanting to try new patterns).  Sticking with the TNTs heightens the possibility of success and I think that helps keep me going.  When times are more settled, I am more open to experimenting.  Of course, different folks have different motivators.

@Grasshopper - waving - hope real life settles down a bit so you can get back to the sewing machine soon.

@sharonspils - I forgot to comment how much I liked your orange (?) dress.  More pictures of your recent makes, please? 

@Melinda_B - Hope you were able to finish the tights sewing for a friend and get on with some SWAP sewing.  I am about to dust off the Madeira Applique technique you shared several years ago to finish off a poncho a friend asked me to finish up for her daughter.  Thankyou for exposing me to that!

@indigotiger - Print turtle necks.  Love them...love both fabrics. I was so happy to find the Style Arc Alexi pattern a couple of years ago. 

@Karamiel - such a comfortable looking dress - nice shoes!

@Pagog - Nice pattern and fabric for the window pane check shirt.  Looks so comfortable.

I hope I didn't miss anyone's progress to date.  And apologies to those if I did.  Thanks again @treefrog for starting the SWAP. It's definitely the respite from the events of the real world and a huge incentive to get back in the sewing room.  Today I am working on the black polartec fleece jacket.

Turquoise

@kowgiirl.up - I've gone back and looked through my emails and can't find a record for the light green viscose jersey so I must have purchased that in one of my local sewing shops that has now sadly closed due to the repeated lockdowns.  It's such a shame as it was a treasure trove with lovely, helpful staff who all sewed and was in old medieval building with some exposed beams poking out amongst the racks of fabric bolts.

I do buy a lot of my fabrics online and I think for those flutter sleeves the fabric needs to have good drape.  Lightweight viscose jersey always seems to work well for patterns I've made like this.  Hope you find a good fabric - I do find a lot of fabric from fabric stores on eBay but I'm in the UK so I'm sure you would probably find better options than the ones I use.  Some of the stores offer samples or are good at answering questions about the weight of fabric or drape if you ask them, especially sellers that run a Bricks and Mortar fabric store as well as their eBay one. 

I started trying out using the serging and topstitch techniques after seeing that a lot of my more expensive RTW clothes used this in certain situations and then when I started buying patterns from Peggy at Silhouette Patterns and watching her webcasts where she recommends the same finish.  I don't use it on everything but it's a good option sometimes and the serging makes it really easy to turn an even, narrow hem for topstitching and it's easy to follow the curves of necklines as it's only a 3/8" or less hem.

stephaniecan

@CCL What a great round up of comments. Of course - thanks for the compliment and I would love to see your waistcoat. It's a new object for me and right now I am thinking that I will need a jacket to wear over mine, so I'm thinking about potential patterns to use for that.

I agree that this SWAP is a welcome respite from...everything else.
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

CCL

Quote from: stephaniecan on January 16, 2021, 12:52:23 pmwaistcoat (is) a new object for me and right now I am thinking that I will need a jacket to wear over mine, so I'm thinking about potential patterns to use for that.
I love that waistcoat - just my opinion, but I'd wear it all by itself - over a dress or maybe a blouse that would make it standout. I don't think it needs a jacket - my fear would be that a jacket in the same fabric would really dilute the impact of the waistcoat - or even take away the spotlight.  The waistcoat's lines are so great, I am not sure I would want to cover it up. As I said, just my opinion.  I know you are considering a contrasting collar - though I really also like the version you posted in your thread of the floral - just stunning.

And to repeat... your shirt is a stunner...love the red buttons .  I am guessing lots of folks wish they could turn out such a great garment!  Be heartened, Stephanie, you  have some wonderful ideas churning in your plan.

I am sewing up a very pedestrian fleece jacket, one I have made several times before, and which doesn't need a lot of thought or careful work.  I am actually finding it quite relaxing before I tackle something a little more challenging.

stephaniecan

@CCL Thank you! That is very kind.

I agree with you that the waistcoat is a style that can be worn alone beautifully. I was also thinking of wearing it over a dress. I was thinking about a jacket only because I get cold. I have a knitted vest I love and whenever I wear it over a shirt alone my arms end up getting cold. It's a dilemma. Perhaps if I make a heavy version of the vest that can be worn over a sweater and then a lighter version that can be worn in the springtime or summertime, I will be OK.

I know what you mean about the comfort of working on something familiar, and better yet if it is something that you find to be useful and comfortable. I am about to pick up my knitting for the same reasons. I made a toile of a pair of trousers this afternoon and although there is nothing wrong with them and I know what fitting changes need to be made, I'm not feeling any excitement. I might do something different for me and make a whole bunch of toiles first before sewing anything up. That would give me an opportunity to see how different garments could work together before committing. We'll see.

Happy sewing, everyone!
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

stephaniecan

January 18, 2021, 09:20:49 pm #180 Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:25:14 pm by stephaniecan
@Diniecita What a great looking SWAP! I look forward to seeing your garments as you go along. You have a good mix there and the colours sound wonderful!

The title of your SWAP made me smile. My grandfather was a farmer before the war. When he returned from Europe in 1945, he married my grandmother, who was a big city girl. They moved to the farm after the wedding at Christmas, 1945, and within a few years my grandmother insisted that my grandfather go back to school/university so that they could leave the farm. (She wasn't too keen on the lack of indoor plumbing. She also loved a ball gown or two, so I am guessing that the farm wardrobe wasn't up her alley either. :) ) To each her own.

@mahgret I loved your pants story. I have done something similar! And the hoodie looks great. It's always so nice to wrestle a difficult sew to the ground and to be able to enjoy the final product.

@anna.wahnsinn I loved your story of the midnight snack! For photos, the easiest thing is to have them hosted elsewhere - flickr, a blog, and then to post the link using some simple code. I know there are threads here to show how to post photos, but a number of people here can explainin greater detail. When I post photos, I just post the link to another site between the code in square brackets: square bracket  img width=400 close square bracket insert web address square bracket /img close square bracket

That may confuse you more, but you can search for the thread here that shows different options.

kowgiirl.up

Theresa

Runs with scissors

warpjr1965

Just a quick check in. Looks like folks are getting along nicely with their SWAPs!  I have still done nothing on either my SWAP, or DH's shirt. Really there are too many other things going on right now that are taking my attention. We'll see what happens next week: my hours are being reduced to 32 from 40 per week, which is actually just fine and may give me that little bit of space to get back behind the machine.
Wendy

Turquoise

@CCL  - Your fleece looks really cozy :)

@warpjr1965  - Hope you do get some time to sew but more especially I hope you get some time for yourself to do whatever makes you feel peaceful.  It sounds like you've been having a hectic time lately.

@stephaniecan - trying lots of toiles sounds a good idea.  Even if you don't want to make all of them for this SWAP you'll have a really great resource for future makes.

I'm hoping to get some sewing time tomorrow - I seem to have finally brushed off the cold symptoms and think I could trust myself again with my jacket.

CCL

Nice to see fellow travelers - @Hilda Rose, @Hen, @Diniecita (love that farmer's wife theme and those beautiful styles), @Upstate Linda, @anna.wahnsinn -

@Melinda_B - great to be getting underway - thanks for re-posting the rules in your thread - reading through them helped me focus a bit.
@mahgret - love that color of the cozy hoodie and it looks perfect to cuddle up in- Today it's 10 degrees Farenheit, so finishing my fleece jacket was timely. 

@Sew Ruthie Sews - can't wait to see photos of your three-piece outfit.

Wendy, hope you get some space for sewing with those 8 extra hours a week and that it brings you joy.   

stephaniecan

@Turquoise Thanks! I'm glad I started some toiles. I hadn't thought of the fact that I'd be adding those to my repertoire as as SWAP outcome. Makes sense!

@CCL I'm impressed that you got the fleece jacket done. Looks great (and also with the other pieces).

@warpjr1965: Wendy, I think I understand, as for me work has been the huge distraction. I had easily a 60 hour week (not even counting anymore). Today I mostly sat semi-comatose in a chair. I took a nap in my reading chair and I was thinking that I'm starting to resemble my grandfather who always did that after dinner!! I did read a book afterwards though. Hoping I can start fresh and do some sewing tomorrow.

Time to refocus..Off to read some threads.

sharonspils

Well I think my shorts are a fail due to the fabric being off grain (how??) but will wear them and see if they are a complete disaster, no pictures yet.

Not much other sewing going on as we have been away but plenty of knitting swatches as Customfit is disappearing on 16 February and I want to get as many patterns generated as I can for the large amount of yarn for garments that has accumulated in my stash.

@Medea I got caught out with the pocket stay as well and as the jeans were finished and we were heading overseas I had to go with it.  First wear after washing is a bit tight but as the days go it gets better.

@stephaniecan just noticed the pockets on your flannel shirt, they are great.

@Sew Ruthie Sews your ivory top will go with so many items in your wardrobe.

@mahgret great looking hoodie and frustrating about the pants.

@Diniecita welcome to the SWAP and love your style and patterns.

@kowgiirl.up I've been caught with a Jalie Cardigan the sleeves were so slim that I could wear a long sleeve top underneath.

@Hilda Rose welcome to SWAP and you have some great plans and a brides dress as well, you will be busy.

@Karamiel briliant jumpsuit and it looks pretty good from here but it always how you feel.

@CCL Your Polartech Fleece jacket sounds perfect for your cold weather.  Thank you for the comment on my orange dress, I am enjoying wearing this new style.

kowgiirl.up

Well done everyone for moving forward with your SWAP. So much progress is being made here, such a positive thing that makes me smile.

I'm just going to tag everyone and give you this >>>  :applause2:  @CCL , @Sew Ruthie Sews , @Karamiel , @Grasshopper , who else did I forget! Oh, @Upstate Linda
Theresa

Runs with scissors

stephaniecan

January 25, 2021, 05:56:50 pm #188 Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:27:15 pm by stephaniecan
@LillieT You are right on trend with this year's Pantone colours. I love that combo - great set of clothes!

@Grasshopper It's so great to have someone help you with measuring sometimes. I had a friend do that for me a few years ago and take some photos so I could make a self-croquis and also set up all of the measurements I need for designing knitted garments. Was great. I hope you can get started on your pretty-sounding clothes.

@CCL YOu are going to laugh at me but when I read your first word "Rats!" I was thinking you were going to say you had rats and I thought "Oh NOOOO!"

@kowgiirl.up I Love the pink jacket on you! So cheerful! And PS can you come over and topstitch for me? I always get stressed about top-stitching as I hate it when it's not perfectly even!

Oh yes, @Karamiel I smiled so much at your photos and your fabulous jumpsuit. Perfect style and fun posing! I love it.

I think a few others are getting started, such as Linda and Hilda Rose. Isn't it great to see so much activity this year?!
I feel as though my memory has short-circuited on me already, so I apologize if I am missing someone who has posted something new.

stephaniecan

@sharonspils Thanks for the compliment re the pockets. That's exactly what I like about the pattern - a very unusual pocket angle/shape.

sharonspils

@kowgiirl.up with a knit I always press those serged seams and then topstitch them down, this is why we sew, we can do whatever technique we want to and I love topstitching so don't hesitate to use it.  When I did a course a few years ago with a knit cardigan the teacher got us to use a stabiliser along those long edges and they tend to stretch and I was putting a zipper in mine and was very glad I did.

@LillieT you should be the Pantone representative with your gorgeous wardrobe plans.  I am off to checkout the Lotti as I have some fabric pieces that could be perfect for it since you have given me the idea of colour blocking it.

LillieT

stephaniecan and sharonspils - I knew the yellow and grey were Pantone's colors for 2021 - thought it a nice coincidence that my thrifted shirts fit their colors.  I am fortunate that I can wear yellow - it isn't flattering on everybody.  sharonspils - I fell in love with the Lotti when I run across it on Pinterest.  I hope it turns out as nice as I am envisioning.  I often have odd bits and pieces left over from other projects and anticipate using this pattern again.

stephaniecan

Quote from: LillieT on January 25, 2021, 09:42:22 pmstephaniecan and sharonspils - I knew the yellow and grey were Pantone's colors for 2021 - thought it a nice coincidence that my thrifted shirts fit their colors.  I am fortunate that I can wear yellow - it isn't flattering on everybody.  sharonspils - I fell in love with the Lotti when I run across it on Pinterest.  I hope it turns out as nice as I am envisioning.  I often have odd bits and pieces left over from other projects and anticipate using this pattern again.

You are so right, Lillie - if you can wear that nice lemon yellow you are indeed fortunate! I probably look best in more of a green-gold (there's probably a yellow that suits everyone - one just has to find it), but I'm still planning an ill-advised bright yellow coat for spring. I will probably have to wear a navy blue scarf at the neck to distract from how not suited I am to school bus yellow! :)

LillieT

stephaniecan - I can wear yellows from clear lemon to orange, however, towards the greener side? Not so much.  I imagine you are right - there is a yellow for everyone.  BTW - I love the pairing of the beautiful wool plaid and the print - they are perfect together! 

kowgiirl.up

@LillieT your SWAP color choices is going to be so much fun for me to follow. I often over look yellow as a choice for me but I think I should consider changing my thoughts about it. Thank you for joining in the fun.

Hello @stephaniecan !  More plaids?? Very cool- I love it.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

stephaniecan

Thanks @LillieT , @kowgiirl.up I may be slightly crazy at the moment, so the mix of plaids and colours may get more wild as I go along. :)

Turquoise

Well done @CCL - you've done a great job getting the pieces out of the fabric despite the problems.  I know how frustrating that is as I've had a similar experience in the past with an expensive fabric but in the end it turned out to be a favourite piece.  Hopefully the same will happen for you  :)

Hilda Rose

Great to see lots going on!

@CCL - good job persevering to get it cut on the grain-line. There's nothing more frustrating than warped fabric, especially if you paid top $ for it! I hope it sews up & fits for you!

@Sew Ruthie Sews - beautiful jacket  :applause2: ! Fantastic flecked fabric (try saying that 3 times really fast  :D )

@LillieT - great plan. Have you made a SA Lottie Top before? I love the design & my mum made one & it's lovely. I made one last month, but the pleats don't sit right on me... they're much higher up towards the neck than in the pattern picture. I think it may be because I'm 5'10" & usually need extra length shoulder to bust. Mum is 5'2". I just don't know how to move the whole pleated section down as it's on quite an angle to the neck. Anyway I hope it works for you!

@indigotiger - can't wait to see the rain capelet... intriguing 🧐. I too fail to save notes & get annoyed with myself when I go to make a pattern again knowing changes were made but can't find where I wrote them down, if at all. It's a habit I'm trying to change.
@stephaniecan - lovely plaid placement. Beautiful Liberty print...they don't do many prints that aren't gorgeous in my opinion  :heart_smilie:

LillieT

@Hilda Rose - thanks for the heads up on the Lotti - I plan to start cutting it out this afternoon.  I am 5'4", closer to your mother's size so am hoping it will lay right. 

@CCL - so frustrating to pay for expensive fabric and find it has issues.  You should be ok with the way you went about cutting it.  While knits are generally pretty forgiving - grain is really important for everything to lay right. 

@indigotiger - When I was younger I had almost a photographic memory - wonder where it went?  I'm sure you will figure it out, you are pretty clever, but would have been easier with notes.  Who knows?  You may discover a better way of doing it anyway. 

@Sew Ruthie Sews - Love the jacket!  I wish I could wear black - washes me out.  I know you will look stunning in it. 

CCL

January 29, 2021, 11:23:32 am #199 Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:26:50 am by CCL
Wow, so much eye-candy and sewing going on!

@indigotiger - Oh my gosh and goodness - Wawak is my terrible addiction.  Made worse by the fact that since we are both east-coast, Wawak and I, if I order by the afternoon, I get my order next day.  Wicked.  I think it was Kathryn that turned me on to them.

@stephaniecan - that beautiful plaid for the waistcoat!  Drooling over here and I love the match with the liberty print lawn.  After seeing your vest pattern, my planned vest seems so bland and dull.  I am really off to see what I can find similar to the Burda.  Thanks for letting me be a copycat.

@sharonspils - Your skills are so top notch that I hope you recover quickly from the shorts fail - depending on the particulars, it might be worth putting it aside and then re-assessing later. A number of times something I thought was a complete fail turned out to be a favorite wear, especially if I put it in the back of the closet for a length of time. 

@LillieT, I love those colors - such a soft hopeful palette.  Now that you are home and can begin sewing in little spurts, I can't wait to see what you make.

@Hilda Rose, Sad that your first sewing has to be a dress for a funeral. Too much of that this year.  @boppingbeth, thinking of you and hoping some sewing can bring you some respite.

@Upstate Linda,  I keep meaning to mention that I like your swatch board.  Another black dress.

@Turquoise - Again, I forgot to comment on your  "Kendosa's Top" - I love the floweyness of it (is that a word?) and the fabric is gorgeous.  Thanks for your kind words on my scatterwampus fabric - I have spent more for nice fabrics - especially beautiful wools, but this was a bamboo sweatshirt knit and $20 a yard.  Eeeek.  I bought it because of the color and I was curious.

@Sew Ruthie Sews - that jacket is wonderful.  Is this the same pattern that you made that dress coat out of back last year - I believe it was a maroon knee length that you wore over a matching dress - for a wedding?  Love the jacket version.

@kowgiirl.up - Great cardigan!  Wonderful color, but I must confess, I most in awe of your gorgeous gorgeous hair!  Good luck with the buttons.  I have been over-buying buttons (my collection propagates in the dark, I swear) - because of not being able to shop in person.

@Hen - It looks as if you are a time management wiz!  Looking forward to see your garments.

As always, I am sure I missed several folks and their progress... apologies!

LillieT

@Hilda Rose - as I was cutting the Lotti out I wondered if you could trace the neck and shoulder of the right front (with the pleats) and drop it down 1" or whatever length you need to put the pleats in the right spot, then either take the length away at the bottom, or leave it - with your height you may need that extra length anyway.  You would also have to add the same amount to the other 3 top pieces.  Just a thought.   

stephaniecan

@LillieT I just love your plan to mix those prints!

@CCL I can sympathize with your efforts to get the most out of that fabric. I would have done the same. I hope it turns out better than you expect. Fingers crossed! And PS I greatly look forward to seeing your waistcoat! I don't know why, but I feel a bit worried ex ante about how mine is going to turn out. I need to just bite the bullet and sew it this weekend - I'm being silly.

@Sew Ruthie Sews Wow! The jacket looks fabulous! What a dream to be even half as productive as you are!

@indigotiger I hope you find your notes. I can relate as I always think I am making notes when I create a sweater design and then I realize that my notes are random calculations on graph paper, which are mixed in with other random counts that I decided against, and so I can never figure out ex post what I did. I think I have a belief that I will remember things after the fact...big mistake! Good luck!

So much inspiring stuff going on.

I've decided that February is going to be "February frenzy" so that I can catch up with some sewing. I've been dawdling.

sharonspils

@CCL oh I'm ☺️ thank you very much for the compliment.

@LillieT and @Hilda Rose interesting about the Lotti top and the pleats,the fabric for that panel will need to have great drape.

@indigotiger I have a pattern at home from Green Pepper at home for an anorak with the zipper shield not sure if that would be any help, I am away from home until tomorrow but happy to check it out for you if you want.

indigotiger

I'm still sorting out how to do things with my new laptop and new phone, so I have missed catching up on what is happening here (plus there have been major health issues with my 86 year old mom that involved a hospital trip, a month in rehab, Covid (fortunately and amazingly asymptomatic!) and finally her returning home to my dad, but now with a live-in caregiver and a diagnosis of dementia :'( ... I really haven't been able to focus on sewing over the last month or so).

After looking through all my notebooks from the last year, there is absolutely nothing about the steps I took to create the rain capelet, so I am going to go slowly, do a number of sketches and actually make some sample "swatches" of how to put layers together. (it would all be really easy if I was using any fabric other than the supplex/goretex for the outer layer and the vintage Polartec for the lining, but neither of those can be ironed, and my whole idea is "rain protection" so putting extra layers of holes in the fabric is not the best practice)

If I really get lost, I will definitely take up the offer from sharonspils:
Quote from: sharonspils on January 29, 2021, 10:03:59 pmI have a pattern at home from Green Pepper at home for an anorak with the zipper shield not sure if that would be any help, I am away from home until tomorrow but happy to check it out for you if you want.

I also finally began working on my handknit cardigan, though the pattern for Mandelbrot proved to be more than I wanted to struggle with. Instead I am using the same yarns and colorway to create my own lopapeysa, using a combination of traditional and original motifs and a gauge of knitting that I am comfortable with.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

stephaniecan

@indigotiger Sorry to hear about the issues of the last month, but they seem to have turned out with some silver linings. Phew re. the COVID. It's amazing, isn't it?

Lovely work on the lopapeysa! I am sure it will be gorgeous, as always.

stephaniecan

January 30, 2021, 10:37:07 am #205 Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:46:05 am by stephaniecan Reason: another link
@CCL  I just read your dilemma in terms of a vest. The pattern is in the October 2019 Burda magazine. I wonder if it would be possible to borrow the magazine from somone? Burdastyle's site is not easy to navigate right now, but I found this one that has some similar lines, although with more cut out shoulders and a notched collar, if you happen to have a printer: https://www.burdastyle.com/cotton-waistcoat-105-06-17.html. I rather love that one, actually!

Under normal circumstances I would immediately offer to trace and send to you but the truth is that I haven't been in my local post office in eleven months, as it is smack dab in the middle of a giant supermarket pharmacy. I'm a little bit paranoid, I suppose, as an asthmatic, so have been keeping a low profile. My magazine is also in Italian, but that is a minor hiccup.

Let me keep on looking. If not I could try to find a friend who is going to the post office. :)

I've never ordered anything from the Ukraine before, but I guess that's a possibility? (It has been years since I last ordered from Ebay so not sure about that either.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burda-Style-Magazine-October-NEW-in-russian-10-2019/152422587948?hash=item237d181e2c:g:5gcAAOSwQQ1djw--

This one is pricier but ships from the US: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/741308069/2019-10-burda-style-magazine-fashion?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_ca_en_ca_b-books_movies_and_music-other&utm_custom1=_k_EAIaIQobChMIo7eNtJrE7gIVUr7ACh3z0QTIEAQYCCABEgJPbfD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_319629045_19444450485_75295234245_pla-106552219955_c__741308069enca_279696170&utm_custom2=319629045&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo7eNtJrE7gIVUr7ACh3z0QTIEAQYCCABEgJPbfD_BwE

CCL

Thanks, @stephaniecan - Burda Oct 2019 on its way to me!

Hilda Rose

January 30, 2021, 08:07:48 pm #207 Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:39:38 pm by Hilda Rose
@CCL - Although you've bought the 10/2019 Burda magazine, this may help next time... I've often been able to buy & download Burda magazine patterns from the German Burda site (burdastyle.de) that don't appear on burdastyle.com  The patterns also don't always appear in a normal google / safari search. Eg. the waistcoat pattern can be found at https://www.burdastyle.de/produkt/magazin-schnitt/weste-10-2019-112a_112A-102019-DL

Hilda Rose

@LillieT - thanks for your encouragement, I will give Lotti another go when I have the headspace to think it through! Years ago I successfully redrafted it to suit a woven fabric, taking out the lower panel & managed to lower the pleats. Made it up in a cotton voile & wore it until the fabric died! Sadly this was 2 sizes smaller than I am now & like @indigotiger I didn't make a record of how I changed the original pattern. Grrr 😖 It's occurred to me that I should have done an FBA on the latest version too - no wonder it doesn't fit!
Notes to self: 1) You aren't 20 anymore & can't expect to just add 1" in length above the bust, cut & sew a pattern and have it fit! The hassles of getting old and wide  :'(
2) Don't try to quickly sew something when distracted by children home (tired, grumpy & fighting) on holidays, Christmas shopping & packing for 2 weeks vacation  :o 
What WAS I thinking - oh wait, clearly I was not thinking! Anyhow, best wishes for your Lotti  ^-^

Melinda_B

I'm now in lockdown for five days...  Masks are first on the list, then on to some SWAP sewing.  Yay for unexpected time off?  We've had ten months of no community transmission here, but it had to happen sometime...
Melinda<br /><br />Perth, Australia<br />Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/