• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2020, 12:53:56 am

News:

A big Thank-You to all of you for your continuing support of Stitcher's Guild. :)

SWAP 2021 - Official Rules

Started by treefrog, November 16, 2020, 05:00:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

treefrog

Welcome to SWAP 2021  - The theme for this year's contest is "Choose Your Own Adventure"

I hope you will join in.  It is so much fun to watch your planning process and see your wardrobe come together.  I'm in Australia so there may be a delay in answering questions for our European and American friends.

2020 has had an impact on most of us and changed the way we do some things.  Our wardrobe needs may have changed too. In previous years, the SWAP has been a self-contained wardrobe, but this year, you are encouraged to build on your existing wardrobe.   Use what you have, plan what you need, make it last.

MAKE YOUR PLAN   

Create a wardrobe collection of 11 garments. How you put them together is up to you.  These garments may or may not co-ordinate with each other, but should dovetail into your existing wardrobe.  Perhaps bring in a new colour; filling gaps; replace items that are wearing out; maybe a project that you've been hankering to do; it could be a mix of work , leisure, exercise or sleepwear.

You  have the option to do either..
    • FULL MONTY - make all 11 garments.  One garment may be previously sewn, one may be purchased, and one may be sewn up before the official sewing start date.
    • HALF MONTY - make 6 of the 11 garments.  One may be sewn up before the official sewing start date.  Make up the remaining items from your existing wardrobe; one may be purchased.   

Bonus points items - If make a time consuming garment, you may count it was double points.  Limit of 2.  These garments are typically ones that you would work on over a month. Examples of this would be couture garments, Alabama Chanin style garments, handknitted garments etc.  If in doubt, just ask.

SHOW & TELL
      Max 13 photos
      • one of your original plan - this may just be a screen shot of what you posted in your discussion thread, a photo your handwritten/drawn plan or mood board, collage of your patterns etc.  The caption will describe how you made you plan
      • one of all items together - caption to describle how close this matched your plan.  What changed and why (this is meant in a good way, things change, but it is helpful to review your planning process)
      • one of each garment - This may be worn, on a dressform, as a flatlay or a composite photo to show sewing details. The caption to describe what "need" it fills, the pattern used and any notes on the project (kind of a mini pattern review).  If this is a made before or purchased item, please indicate that.  I encourage you to take the photos as you go along, rather than wait until the end

VOTING
       The Full Monty and Half Monty will be voted on separately.

You are encouraged to start a thread to announce your intention to participate as a contestant or to sew along, and keep track of and share your progress, and encouraged to join in the "general discussion" thread for kudos, queries, and advice...

treefrog

Placeholder for FAQ.  I'll update this post with any clarifications to the rules so they are all in one place

Grasshopper

Quote from: treefrog on November 16, 2020, 05:00:23 pmYou  have the option to do either..

• FULL MONTY - make all 11 garments.  One garment may be previously sewn, one may be purchased, and one may be sewn up before the official sewing start date.
    • HALF MONTY - make 6 of the 11 garments.  One may be sewn up before the official sewing start date.  Make up the remaining items from your existing wardrobe; one may be purchased.

On the garment sewn up before the official sewing start date, is there a date before which we cannot start sewing on this item?
    Lyneisa
    Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

treefrog

Quote from: Grasshopper on November 17, 2020, 11:57:38 amOn the garment sewn up before the official sewing start date, is there a date before which we cannot start sewing on this item?

Hi Grasshopper,  normally it would be between when the rules are posted and the start date.  But since the rules are so late this year,  you can include any projects you are currently working on ( started by not complete).

Grasshopper

Lyneisa
    Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

mudcat

I haven't logged on here for a long time and had forgotten all about it being SWAP time of year. I retired a couple of months ago so I now have plenty of time to sew.  I like the idea of two half Montys. 

Sew Ruthie Sews

November 18, 2020, 05:49:27 am #6 Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:57:16 am by Sew Ruthie Sews
    thanks for the rules and being the moderator this year
    Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
    http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

stephaniecan

Great rules! Yes, thanks for doing this and for being the moderator. It is very generous of you.
    That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

indigotiger

Thank you treefrog - I am quite impressed with how you have adapted our beloved SWAP to suit the conditions we all find ourselves in these days... I just might be able to participate, with the "half-monty" option
    The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

luz clara

Treefrog, thank you for taking on the invention and guidance of this year's SWAP. I love the rules, and I'm plotting my SWAP.
    Luz Clara

sharonspils

Treefrog thank you for the very flexible rules.  I realise I need to sew to a plan more than ever, as I officially retired in August and now have the time but the focus is all over the place.

Now to plan as mine will be a trip away, probably the same SWAP as last year as our trip was postponed but so far we are all go for The Kimberley's in June next year and I am in great need of clothes for this very active trip.

CCL

Lovely rules, Treefrog.  They are truly flexible, which, of course, requires me to do a whole lot more thinking about:  what I wear nowadays; why I wear what I wear; what gaps I have to fill; and what I want to make just for the sheer joy of making. 

I had already started last year reviewing my existing me-made wardrobe and separating out:
            ...what I truly love and often wear
            ...from what I truly love but don't often wear (because of ???)
            ...from what I truly loved "making" but don't love wearing
            ...from what I didn't enjoy that much making, but truly love wearing

Add in all those patterns in stash I am itching to try.

And also add into all that the seasonal changes, wanting to sew from stash and not purchase any new fabric and I have something of a crossword puzzle to determine what I want to make. 

So I have now made the planning part of SWAP probably the biggest part of the challenge!

Pagog

I love that the moderator gets switched around.  More creative ideas surface.  Thank you to all moderators.  Quick question - Is a dress considered a top and bottom like last year, or is a dress considered a top or a bottom like previous SWAPS?

treefrog

@Pagog For this SWAP, it i whatever you want it to be.  There are no requirements to make a particular number of tops or bottoms.   You may make 11 dresses if that is what you need.  :) 

If you are using the rules from a previous SWAP as your guide, you a free to tweak them to suit you.