• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
January 16, 2021, 02:24:27 pm

News:

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75ยข per week for all-you-can-eat access for an entire year. :)

Autumn 2020 Loosey Goosey Be Nice to Yourself 6-Pac Thread

Started by kowgiirl.up, September 17, 2020, 12:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan in Saint John

All I've managed to do is to complete my winter coat.  But that makes me happy and I'm wearing it.

Turquoise

@Susan in Saint John - finishing a coat is a big deal  :applause2: even better that you are getting so much pleasure from it.

As @kowgiirl.up said this 6-PAC was all about getting sewing again and I think collectively we've had a lot of success with that.  Even if we just got fabrics out of the stash and started planning or started thinking about sewing that's a start  :)

I definitely feel better having got back in the sewing room and seeing other people in the group sewing.

Turquoise

I just realised I did actually sew 6 things in the time frame, I think that's a first for me. I've put them together in a collage.

kowgiirl.up

Yippee @Turquoise. There was no grass growing under your feet for sure with you getting all 6 done and done very well! I do love how you were able to "salvage" that one top. I'm thinking I might try my hand at salvaging the flutter sleeve top.

@Susan in Saint John, how cool err, warm to have a coat you made and actually wear. I feel that is a huge accomplishment. I'm little jealous!

Let's sew on ladies!  :applause2:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

sliderule

I signed up for 3 T shirts, 2 pairs of pants, and a jacket.  I have done 1 T shirt and cut out the second one.  I have been slowed down a bit by fabric shortage and a cat demolishing most of the matching thread, but that's really no excuse.  There are workarounds.  I'm going to keep working on the list; and I have enjoyed watching everyone's progress.

CCL

Quote from: sliderule on December 03, 2020, 07:19:50 amI signed up for 3 T shirts, 2 pairs of pants, and a jacket.  I have done 1 T shirt and cut out the second one.  I have been slowed down a bit by fabric shortage and a cat demolishing most of the matching thread, but that's really no excuse.  There are workarounds.  I'm going to keep working on the list; and I have enjoyed watching everyone's progress.

You sound like me, Sliderule.   I signed up for 6 items, started one, stalled out on the buttons I had to order and which have not arrived yet.  I am pretty much a "sew one thing at a time" type of seamstress.  I get all messed up if I try to move mentally back and forth between projects.   So my solution was to move my entire Loosey Goosey 6 PAC plan to a half Monty in TreeFrog's SWAP!

sliderule

That's a good idea, CCL.  Maybe I'll do that too.

fzxdoc

@Turquoise , congratulations on completing your 6Pac. It looks wonderful--a nice collection of easy-wearing styles that go with so much.

@Susan in Saint John , a winter coat is no mean feat. It counts for 6 garments in my book! :)

@kowgiirl.up , two tops is a nice accomplishment in as many months, especially since both were good learning experiences for you. I'd say your 6 Pac sewing was a success.

Like others, I got derailed from the intended sewing. This time, it was by a visit to the grandbaby/grandtoddler in October. The toddler, actually 4 years old, put in an order for "another Belle dress, a Cinderella dress, and a wedding dress because I'm going to marry Martian Mickey." (from a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cartoon).

Consequently I've spent much of the time since then procuring fabrics--not an easy thing to do in these online-only driven Covid times. If only I had felt comfortable to go into a JoAnns store! But we only go to doctors' appointments and out for groceries until we are both vaccinated.

One Cinderella dress fabric is yet to arrive. But the Beauty and the Beast Belle dress (the second I've made for that little one) is finished and the wedding dress just got a hoop underskirt made for it this week. Not sure if I'll get the Cinderella gown made in time for the Xmas shipping/traveling deadline though. It may get there for a Valentine's gift instead. That would give me plenty of time.

Back to ordering fabrics, I've ordered many, many things for my sewing emporium (as @sewsy calls it) over the years without a hitch. But ordering in these Covid times is a real crapshoot. Low inventories, long waits for deliveries, and then, when the fabrics don't coordinate as shown on the computer monitor, another round of the same make it really difficult to source things for specific projects. Plus it's costly. I have an entire matched set of fabrics from JoAnns online that are completely the wrong color. $60 down the drain. Well, not really. The fabrics will get made into a princess dress at some point, they're just not suitable for the on-deck Cinderella dress. But it would have been soooo easy to have been able to pop into the JoAnns store in the nearby town and get exactly what I needed! Not worth the risk, though, I keep telling myself.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

CCL

Quote from: fzxdoc on December 10, 2020, 06:24:00 amBut ordering in these Covid times is a real crapshoot. Low inventories, long waits for deliveries, and then, when the fabrics don't coordinate as shown on the computer monitor, another round of the same make it really difficult to source things for specific projects. Plus it's costly. /snip/ But it would have been soooo easy to have been able to pop into the JoAnns store in the nearby town and get exactly what I needed! Not worth the risk, though, I keep telling myself.

Kathryn

Kathryn - I am getting derailed by the same thing!  I ordered buttons to finish up my shirtdress way back on Oct 30.   When they had not arrived by mid-November - I emailed to ask if perhaps my order had been lost in the mail.  Nope, they replied, they are just 6 weeks behind on shipping.

So, still no buttons. I haven't been able to finish up the dress (only buttons, button-holes and hem needed - and I am not putting in buttonholes until I have the buttons.)  The buttons aren't anything fancy and I could probably find something at the nearest Joann's (40 minutes away), but I am not at all eager to go into commercial spaces right now.

For lots of folks this wouldn't be a problem, but I tend to burrow in and focus and it's difficult for me to jump between projects, although I am sort of doing that now.  Tentatively working on a skirt.

Susan in Saint John

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: kowgiirl.up on December 01, 2020, 01:45:29 pm@Susan in Saint John, how cool err, warm to have a coat you made and actually wear. I feel that is a huge accomplishment. I'm little jealous!

Let's sew on ladies!  :applause2:

The coat is a Linton wool boucle lined with a silk crepe de chine a la Channel.  So it's warm enough for a lot of our winter.  I deliberately made it large enough that I can wear a Channel style jacket under it when it's really cold.  I've warn it a couple of times.  I'd deliberately made it lower calf length for warmth but I noticed that the hem was picking up dirt from possibly the floor of the car.

kowgiirl.up

I loooooong for the days when I can go back to the Mill End store. I vow to browse, browse, browse and all without a mask or a computer. That day is coming soon so we just need to keep on sewing forward :)

I think we all did good with the 6pac. It did exactly as we all had hoped, got us sewing (or thinking about it) and conversing here << win, win in my book. Yay for us! :thumbsup:
Theresa

Runs with scissors