• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
October 25, 2020, 09:36:09 pm

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

Autumn 2020 Loosey Goosey Be Nice to Yourself 6-Pac Thread

Started by kowgiirl.up, September 17, 2020, 12:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

boppingbeth

Yesterday I made a tester garment--an Alabama Chanin 4 gore skirt.  I used a well loved cotton jersey sheet,
some wide fold over elastic, serged and cover stitched the whole thing. I know, really not in the spirit of AC's slow sewing lol but I wanted to start with does it fit? and go from there.  It is actually pretty comfortable over leggings.  Not exciting but it fits into the wardrobe I have now so that is a win. 

Beading adds weight to these garments.  I don't know if the fit at the waist and hips is tight enough to keep it up if I add beads around the bottom.   I guess we will see. I kind of want to make a black full length skirt, all over beaded and embroidered, as choir wear.  It is something that would get a fair bit of use in my wardrobe (well, once we can sing in public again). I might even have it finished by the time we can sing again.

kowgiirl.up

@Grasshopper , I'm trying to do that too, just sneaking up on it LOL.

@boppingbeth you and @Towanda are power sewers! Gosh, cutting, sewing and hemming oh my!

I managed to get the muslin for my first top fitted more or less to my liking. I could keep tweaking it but why? I think it will be good enough for now. So, I started cutting the "real" fabric this morning (the sneaking up part). I did discover that the fabric has a few issues that I never noticed before. It's rippley along the selvage. I am not sure if this happened when I washed it or what. I think it will be ok. If the pattern works out I plan on making at least one more.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

boppingbeth

And for fun, I restarted my sewing blog since I cannot get into the previous version.  Gotta love password fail combined with I'm not at that email address anymore. 
If you are interested, check it out here.

kowgiirl.up

I have the first top almost done and I do not like it. I suspected I may not when I made the muslin up but I convinced myself to move forward with it. It has butterfly (?) sleeves that I thought I would just love them dang it! I'll get it hemmed up and the top may have to live in the closet for the rest of it's days LOL. There is a sleeveless version that I might make up but I'm going to put the pattern on the back burner to let it simmer for now and move on to something else.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Turquoise

I've sewn up the second knit top.  This is the "Moved to Tiers Tunic" from So Sew Easy - a pattern that I had in my Craftsy library and saved before bluprint finished.  It's quite a long top which is fine for me as I'm fairly tall but if you're petite you might want to fold out some length from the pieces.  It's drafted well and has good instructions if you need them.

fzxdoc

I love your top, @Turquoise .

I saw we can purchase the Moved to Tiers pattern and pay for it via PayPal here:

https://so-sew-easy.com/moved-tiers-tunic-potm/

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

kowgiirl.up

Very cute top @Turquoise The colors look nice together. Thanks for the link @fzxdoc. I'm heading there now :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: kowgiirl.up on October 15, 2020, 10:53:37 amI have the first top almost done and I do not like it. I suspected I may not when I made the muslin up but I convinced myself to move forward with it. It has butterfly (?) sleeves that I thought I would just love them dang it! I'll get it hemmed up and the top may have to live in the closet for the rest of it's days LOL. There is a sleeveless version that I might make up but I'm going to put the pattern on the back burner to let it simmer for now and move on to something else.

Sometimes you have to trust your instincts.  I'm not quite sure what a "butterfly" sleeve is.  Is there some way to sew the butterfly flat or together that would make you happier?  It might be a weird looking seam -- just call it a design element.

kowgiirl.up

Quote from: Susan in Saint John on October 22, 2020, 08:18:02 amSometimes you have to trust your instincts.  I'm not quite sure what a "butterfly" sleeve is.  Is there some way to sew the butterfly flat or together that would make you happier?  It might be a weird looking seam -- just call it a design element.

True, I do need to trust them. To be honest, I'm not used to seeing myself in fancy clothes. I normally wear tees, tanks and jeans so to see me in this throws me "off". Kinda weird I know LOL.

Here's a pic of the top Susan.

I made several alterations to the pattern. The top had gathers at center back that I didn't like. I added more room below the breast point front and back so I could get more airflow. I also made the butterfly sleeves longer. I would've liked the top or cap of the sleeve to lay flat against my shoulder instead of poofing up but the way the pattern calls for the sleeve/armhole to be finished there was no way to do that that I knew of.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Turquoise

Your top looks great @kowgiirl.up but I know what it's like when you're not sure about something.  Maybe hiding it in the cupboard for a while will help you see it with fresh eyes.

I want to sew up a few more knit tops and I've bought some sweater knit fabrics to have a go at making some cardigans - I need more layering pieces now the weather is changing.  I've washed and dried the sweater knit fabrics but still haven't totally decided on patterns. 

I fancied knitting a sweater as it's nice to have something I can pick up and put down and to keep me away from too much screen time in the evenings and I've started this one (James C Brett JB453) - it's a chunky wool so should be good for a slow knitter like me  :)

kowgiirl.up

@Turquoise , I LOVE that sweater. What colors are you doing???

I admire all of you knitters and crocheters out there. I could use a nice warm sweater as I am freezing in my office today. I'm ready for summer again. :))
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Turquoise

@kowgiirl.up I'm knitting it up in the wool used on the cover photo.  I'm not sure the colours look exactly the same as that photo but they are lovely.  I have some green jeans I've been wearing all summer and I'm keen to make some tops to wear with them in the autumn and winter.

The knitting shop where I bought the pattern didn't have that colour in stock but pointed me to another shop they thought did - they were so nice about it that I bought another pattern and some wool from them.  I really don't want to lose the small shops because of all the current problems with lockdowns etc.  I haven't knitted in ages so it was nice to see some patterns with designs more like ones I would buy in the shops.