• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2020, 08:20:45 am

News:

If the login link isn't  appearing on the top of the front page, use these links to access it:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=login 

Subscription Model Side of the forum

Started by kowgiirl.up, August 26, 2020, 11:12:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kowgiirl.up

I don't know if it's me but it seems like we are getting less and less activity on the subscription side of the forum. Is the new model working @DragonLady?

I don't mean to poke the bees nest here and I am nervous about venturing into this type of topic but, it does concern me as we seem to be losing "longtime" members.

PS. Please move to the appropriate place if needed :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Lisa Laree

I think a lot of it has to do with the general craziness of the world right now;  sewing has kind of taken a back burner for me...except for sewing masks, which is not much fun to talk about.  And I'm really not even doing much of that, but I'm determined to sew up the fabric I bought for it and give away as many as possible.  But the masks are easier to find at retail now, so it's not so much of a demand for the homesewn variety.  Still...it's nice to have enough to rotate through them.

DragonLady

I struggle right now to find anything to talk about. :(  The world is so upside down and there's so much crazy goin' 'round that I just find myself feeling a bit "silenced" by it all.

Also, while I did make myself a few items a while back, I haven't been sewing much.  I've been doing a lot of cooking, painting, and spending time in Second Life.  I keep thinking I should be learning some new skills or something (cake decorating, maybe?) but nothing has really made me feel very enthusiastic.

The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

sliderule

I don't post much, but I'm having the same experience.  I'm only sewing masks (plus a sleeping cushion for a sick cat).  I'm hoping my motivation will come back, but right now I don't seem to want to think about anything. 

kowgiirl.up

Quote from: DragonLady on August 26, 2020, 08:24:01 pmI keep thinking I should be learning some new skills or something (cake decorating, maybe?) but nothing has really made me feel very enthusiastic.

I say go for it! I've always wanted to try cake decorating but I have too many irons in the fire as it is.

For me, keeping busy helps keep my mind from dwelling on things I can't do much about anyhow.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

LynnH

Life has been very crazy and I've just been sewing masks for the family.  So nothing exciting to add.
Lynn

fzxdoc

I have been suffering from a lack of sewing motivation as well, unless it's for newborn or toddler clothing. This Covid thing and the scary state of affairs in the US (forest fires and unrest) have poked a hole in my creativity.

Mostly I plod along on a neverending knitted afghan (size 2 needles, what was I thinking) and binge on Netflix. I also do a ton of cooking, so there's creativity there. :)

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

sdBev

My creativity is limited by my illness. I simply cant sew as often and Im limited to 1 hr at a time. But I can enjoy sewing relates posts like Sewsy's Just Bloggin Around.

fzxdoc

Agreed, Bev. @sewsy is a treasure to this forum.

Kathryn

sewsy

Ann C

Goodness, its been a long time since I've been on here!  I wasn't even sure if it would let me in or not.  Things have been crazy/bad here in the interim, however long it has been.  Good to see everyone. 

Helen M

Good to see names from ages ago as Ann C has said. Miss seeing you all!

I'm not sewing much but having said that did manage some today.
Sewing in Cheshire

indigotiger

I just stopped in for the first time in months... Garment sewing has basically stopped here at Acorn Cottage. I spent some time, early on in my isolation, sewing masks for people in my assorted circles, which was helpful for them but dreadful for me. (sewing and crying are not a good combination, plus production sewing causes me terrible wrist and hand pain) Since I am totally isolated here since early March, I have no need to create new clothing, and mostly my other creative activities are also mostly in a slump, aside from a strange return to my former childhood enjoyement of miniature dollhouse scale creating.

Nandina is 5" tall, made from Ann Wood's Tiny Rag Doll pattern

The local/regional fires and severe dense smoke have intensified my isolation, as now it is no longer even safe to step outside for a walk. My external doors are taped closed against the toxic smoke, and it has been days since I set foot outdoors, and that only to bring the trash bins from the street to the carport, which took less than five minutes but left my throat raw and burning. This situation has given me a bit of inspiration for sewing however, as I considered my options should evacuation be necessary... (fortuntately we are not within the evacuation zone currently) I am going to make myself a pair of overalls, with extra "cargo pockets" on the legs. It occurred to me that should I need to become a refugee, having something like pants would be more practical than my beloved pinafores!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

dunno why it posted twice, so I tried to delete the doubled post
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

kowgiirl.up

Theresa

Runs with scissors

Susan in Saint John

I'm not sewing either and not even thinking about it much.  I'm in the Atlantic Canada "bubble"--just over 2 million people, lots of land and sea/ocean/lakes, almost no active cases of Covid-19.  Any travel outside this bubble means 2 weeks of isolation upon your return which is a sufficient deterrent to going anywhere.  As people are not travelling, those who have secure jobs are doing renovation projects.  In fact some materials like lumber are in short supply.  The price of a sheet of plywood has doubled!

In many ways day to day life for me has not changed so much now as we've settled into a "new normal" of physical distancing and wearing masks in public when we can't.  The line ups for grocery shopping have disappeared and most retailers have reopened.  As the risk of community spread at the moment is almost zero, some people are questioning the need for masks and distancing.  But as we've seen here and elsewhere all it takes is a super spreader event to change things.

Mentally, I am learning new things like studying opera and watching 60 or 70 that The Met streamed, learning German for when I next get to visit Europe, taking a university level course in Philosophy, spending a few minutes on the free Elevate app every morning to sharpen my mental math, grammar and spelling.  Physically, I am not doing as well since Tai Chi classes have been cancelled.  A lot of people are practicing on their own but I find I need the motivation from a class and it's not something that works well on Zoom.

The wild fires on the west coast of the US are scary and are having an impact up into Canada too.  Now, there are hurricanes coming ashore and each season some of these make their way up the eastern seaboard into Atlantic Canada leaving behind them massive destruction. And on top of a pandemic!  To say nothing of election season south of our border.

I do actually need to make some clothes for fall and winter, especially trousers.  I have to remember the pleasure that actually making something nice for myself to see if it will motivate me to start sewing again.  Autumn 6pac anyone?

Helen M

Quote from: Susan in Saint John on September 16, 2020, 12:41:34 pmI do actually need to make some clothes for fall and winter, especially trousers.  I have to remember the pleasure that actually making something nice for myself to see if it will motivate me to start sewing again.  Autumn 6pac anyone?

Autumn 6-PAC why not? Good idea!

I've started to wear my 'better clothes' when I'm at home, something I always used to do, but got out of the habit a little while ago. I feel much better for it!
Sewing in Cheshire

DragonLady

I think an autumn 6-Pac is a great idea, and I think it needs to be in one of the non-subscription areas so anyone/everyone who feels up to sewing along may do so.

If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Towanda

Quote from: DragonLady on September 16, 2020, 03:38:22 pmI think an autumn 6-Pac is a great idea, and I think it needs to be in one of the non-subscription areas so anyone/everyone who feels up to sewing along may do so.

I think it is a good idea. I'm still working so I need to expand my fall/winter wardrobe. Monday morning when I came outside to leave for work it was 53 degrees. Where did the summer go? I was in a state of shock, I'm not ready for cooler mornings yet, lol.

I have a plan and need to get started as soon as I stop dragging my feet about cutting out fabric. I'm going to go cut out some tops since the knit has been resting on the cutting table since last night.

sewsy

Each season I'm in. Each season I get one, maybe two pieces done. I've already done a fall sewing plan. Pulled most of the fabrics for the pieces I have in mind. Just have to get started. Also, I've unraveled a pullover sweater back (will be doing the same to the front) the yarn of which I'm repurposing for a boyfriend style cardigan.

I may wind up getting more yarn in order to make one or more tee shirt pullovers to match.

Again with the twinsets.

DragonLady

If someone wants to start the autumn 2020 6-pack thread, I'll move it to a place where it will be open to everyone.  A new project might be just what is needed for a great many people right now.

kowgiirl.up

I'll do it. I won't compete but I'll get'er going. We need this :)

Done. Here: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?board=7.0
Theresa

Runs with scissors

DragonLady

I've made a "sew alongs" section and moved it there.  We need a description for the board but nothing comes to mind at the moment...I'll work on it a bit later; but if anyone has ideas in the meantime I'm all ears.

sewsy

Hi Indigotiger. So glad you've posted. I was getting a bit concerned. You're not alone. We're with you in spirit. Stay safe.

fzxdoc

Quote from: indigotiger on September 15, 2020, 02:53:43 pmI just stopped in for the first time in months... Garment sewing has basically stopped here at Acorn Cottage. I spent some time, early on in my isolation, sewing masks for people in my assorted circles, which was helpful for them but dreadful for me. (sewing and crying are not a good combination, plus production sewing causes me terrible wrist and hand pain) Since I am totally isolated here since early March, I have no need to create new clothing, and mostly my other creative activities are also mostly in a slump, aside from a strange return to my former childhood enjoyement of miniature dollhouse scale creating.

Nandina is 5" tall, made from Ann Wood's Tiny Rag Doll pattern

The local/regional fires and severe dense smoke have intensified my isolation, as now it is no longer even safe to step outside for a walk. My external doors are taped closed against the toxic smoke, and it has been days since I set foot outdoors, and that only to bring the trash bins from the street to the carport, which took less than five minutes but left my throat raw and burning. This situation has given me a bit of inspiration for sewing however, as I considered my options should evacuation be necessary... (fortuntately we are not within the evacuation zone currently) I am going to make myself a pair of overalls, with extra "cargo pockets" on the legs. It occurred to me that should I need to become a refugee, having something like pants would be more practical than my beloved pinafores!

Oh dear. I so enjoy reading your 'blog, @indigotiger . I completely sympathize with you, and hope that the wildfires soon abate and that your spark of creativity and salt-of-the-earth wisdom will again manifest itself with even more posts there. I really love seeing those pinafores. Hopefully you'll be sewing them before long.

Sadly, my reversion to childhood enjoyments has involved mostly empty carbs. You know those little Frito-Lay snack packs? Guilty as charged.  :D   Fortunately my weight has stayed in my "happy place" but I really have to readjust my food brain.  :applause2:

In the meanwhile, I wish you well.

Kathryn

luz clara

My dear Indigo Tiger - Yesterday the smoke returned to Seattle, not quite as horrid and toxic as it was earlier.I know Portland had it worse than we did, too. Like you I am way over the isolation - but I am not alone since I have a dog and a spousal - unit. And my sister lives nearby so we have a quarantine bubble. I also had thoughts about evacuation - no fires were near us, but I think a lot about the "big" earthquake and got an emergency kit set up. Mostly I am exhausted by the chaos of this year. And I never have a very big wardrobe b/c I give away things when I make new garments. But I haven't made a thing for months and my small set of clothes has actual holes in them. . . I'm really trying to get it together to sew some replacement clothes - no taking up residence in France in 2020, alas, so I get to make clothes for living in Seattle. I'm looking forward to welcoming you to the Viking museum whenever it's ok to be a traveling Viking! Luz Clara