Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Author Topic: Free Quilting Tutorials and Patterns  (Read 1829 times)

Pina

Free Quilting Tutorials and Patterns
« on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:15 AM »

Hi,I never paper-pieced and bookmarked - Never Tear Out Stitches Again ! How to Make Paper-Piecing Easy.

“Now let’s say you’ve already pieced the first three pieces in your four-piece unit (as shown above). So far, so good!

But check out that where that next little piece needs to go. You’ve got a tricky angle, and the area you need to cover is offset. That’s a bad combination in paper-piecing! Nine times out of ten, beginners will place that next piece wrong, and as a result, when the piece is sewn, they’ll flip it into place and find that they “missed” the tip of the triangle. That means tearing out stitches (which is never fun, but it’s really not fun when you’re paper piecing), and making another blind attempt to place the piece correctly (and maybe another, and another …). This is a prime example of the kind of seam that makes people tear their hair out and swear off paper-piecing FOREVER.

But guess what? I have an insanely easy way to avoid all of that. Get ready to love paper-piecing again! (Or maybe for the first time.)”

Other quilting tutorials here and here.

Pina

Re: Free Quilting Tutorials and Patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »

The Shamrock - No other symbol combines thoughts of melting snow and imminent springtime with the legendary luck of the Irish. Warm up your St. Patty’s Day celebrations with a festive,scrappy runner for your table. Images are too large to show here.  ;)

And if you love scrappy 9-patches,click here gather up an extra special bonus “Breakfast Place Mats” pattern—it’s free.

Pina

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »

Here and here are many free quilt patterns. Free pattern archive,including aprons,baby quilts and more.

pinemeadows

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:16 PM »

Thank you, Pina!  Love your recommendations and appreciate the sharing.  :)

Pina

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 05:03:12 AM »

pinemeadows,you're very welcome !   :)

Sashiko Quilting Tutorial: How to Make a Japanese Embroidery Cushion.

Materials
I've designed this sashiko embroidery pattern so it can be be adapted to any pillow size. But for your reference, my pillow is 50cm x 50cm (20″ x 20″).

For the embroidered panel:

55cm x 55cm (22″ x 22″) of dark natural fabric (eg. linen, hemp, organic cotton)
Contrasting embroidery thread and needle
To complete the pillow:

55cm x 55cm (22″ x 22″) of fabric for the back of the cushion (I used a gingham check fabric for contrast)
45cm (17.5″) Zipper

Sashiko Quilting Turorial
Step 1: Draw the Guidelines
Draw a square at the centre of your fabric, which is 5cm (2″) smaller than the finished pillow size. For my 55cm x 55cm  (22″x22″) pillow, I drew a 50cm x 50cm (20″x20″) square (see Image A). Draw vertical guidelines as per Image A, at 1/2, 1/4 and then 1/12 of the width. Then, draw horizontal guidelines, at 1/2 and then 1/6 of the vertical length. More in the link,other free patterns and tutorials can be found at top.  ;)

Pina

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »

No-Waste Flying Geese tutorial..........."Flying geese are a really common element in both modern and traditional quilts but they can be tricky. There are so many different ways to piece them and it seems like no matter what you do, you end up wasting fabric or sewing stretchy bias cut edges (which always leaves room for error). I’m excited to share this tip which has made my projects with flying geese so much easier."

Pina

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »

Freebies and fun games for quilters.  ;) Click on image
NOTE: You may need to turn off your pop-up blocker to play "The Right Tools Game".  ;)

And "In Stitches Game"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:06:57 AM by Pina »

Pina

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »

Appliqué Tips and Tricks from WeAllSew – most of the tips and tricks can be used with several other brand/model sewing machines,(my older Brother and other brand models have decorative blanket and other appliqué stitches.  ;)  I have a similar looking Pfaff circular embroidery attachment too  ;)).  OT - (I always wanted one,in my neck of the woods is a rarely used Baby Lock BLQK Sashiko machine in original box with instructions available,( $ 300 (I don't have),the price is firm.)

One lucky WeAllSew reader will win this set of appliqué tools including one pair of Tula Pink Hardwary Appliqué scissors, one box of appliqué pins, and a  handy appliqué pressing sheet ! Please note ..... Comment must be submitted to the WeAllSew.com blog by Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Central Time.Winner will be chosen randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to contact to claim the prize.

If you use fusible webbing (iron on double-sided glue) to hold your appliqué pieces down, you want to use the right needle. Read up on this Needle Tip for Fused Appliqué. When it comes time to add free-motion stitching to the quilt top, there can be a problem. Fusible web may gum up your sewing machine needle as you sew. The friction during the stitch process heats up the needle which melts the glue onto the needle. This  gummy residue on the needle may cause uneven stitching and breaking threads.  Even an old fuser can learn new tricks.  :grinning:

Embellishing the Blanket Stitch.                           Circular embroidery attachment 

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here