Author Topic: fabric shops in Mexico City??  (Read 747 times)

Offline luz clara

fabric shops in Mexico City??
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:07 AM »
I have been on a decade long quest for lovely fabrics in Mexico City. There are a few chains of stores (like Telas Parisina) that offer polyester and polyester blends but nothing great. Michaels craft stores (aka Miguels) also have some fabrics but not much. And not great.

But here is what I'd like to know. Is there any store in Mexico City that could match Al Puerto de Veracruz in Guadalajara?? APDV is a magnificent store w/lots of Italian silks and linens and wools to go with the polyesters. And nice cottons. And a magnificent room of really fancy silks.

There are at least as many fancy elegant women in the DF as in GDL so where do they and their seamstresses buy fabrics. They can't all be heading to NY, LA, Paris, and Milan to do their fabric shopping!

I look and ask around every time I visit but no luck to date. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be grateful for any advice!

thanks y mil gracias in advance!

Luz Clara

Offline luz clara

Re: fabric shops in Mexico City??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
I found the answer to one of my questions. A friend asked her upstairs neighbor, who used to be a professional seamstress. Her sad reply was that there used to be a high end fabric store near the Zocalo (where the cathedral and presidential offices are). And to be honest I remember it too, from I'd say 15 years ago. But they closed it and nothing took its place. So the answer to "Is there one in the DF?" is no.

But that does not answer my question about where the fancy ladies and their fancy sewists and tailors get their fabrics. (Not wool - there is a whole street of stores - Isabel la Catolica that sell wools and "casimires ingleses" near the Zocalo. These guys are the vendors to tailors who make mens' suits. Not to say there isn't anything for me there. But the fancy evening gear I see in the paper (ahem society pages) is not made from "casimir"

That's all I know about fabric stores in Mexico City. Maybe ladies who need fashions make annual trips to Guadalajara to the fine fabric shops up there.

Luz Clara

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics