Author Topic: Claire Shaeffer's Vogue custom couture patterns  (Read 7672 times)

Offline AnnikainSweden

• My Sewcial World
Claire Shaeffer's Vogue custom couture patterns
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »
Right now I'm obsessed with couture sewing techniques and especially Claire Shaeffer's Vogue custom couture patterns. I did some research yesterday and could find that 29 patterns have been released over time in that series. And I want them all!!! For now I only have one - V8804 - and I know some of them can be VERY hard to find on the second hand market. Hm, what a nice challange.   ;D 

Anyone else collecting Claire Shaeffer's Vogue patterns? How many of them do you have?

Offline sewsy

Re: Claire Shaeffer's Vogue custom couture patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
Yep. I've got about ten or eleven of 'em. ;D

Offline Cocokat

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
I've been wanting to get my hands on CS 7908 for quite some time...don't feel like paying $50 for it on ebay though  :P
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vogue-7908-Claire-Shaeffer-Custom-Couture-Jacket-Sewing-Pattern-Size-12-14-16-/380638730501?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=489302219676&vectorid=229529
Heather

Online sewvt

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
Different size (6-10), but it's just under $30 in Canada, for anyone interested http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.com/shopcart/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1775  >:D

Offline Cocokat

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
I wish  :),  I would need size 14, not into grading this one.
Good find for someone Sewvt 8)
Heather

Offline AnnikainSweden

• My Sewcial World
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Mmm, I'm actually considering the $50 one. It's yummy. Reminds me of a vintage Dior jacket. I also like the 7467 that is listed from the same seller.

Online sewvt

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:30 PM »
Don't blame you - I do enough grading for myself and I sure wouldn't be eager to do this one! 

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:59 AM »
Who started this thread? ...now I NEED Vogue 7966 (semi-fitted dress).

Is there a symbol for "enabler"  :groucho:

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
Annika, I have 7908 in the right size, you can borrow and trace if you like.  Of course, that's not COLLECTING...
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline AnnikainSweden

• My Sewcial World
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
Annika, I have 7908 in the right size, you can borrow and trace if you like.  Of course, that's not COLLECTING...

Haha, no that would not be collecting. But I'm curious to hear whether you think it is worth having. Have you ever made the jacket?

Offline AnnikainSweden

• My Sewcial World
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
Who started this thread? ...now I NEED Vogue 7966 (semi-fitted dress).

Is there a symbol for "enabler"  :groucho:

;D

Offline Threads

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
The 7908 pockets look gorgeous.  Although my mind is boggling at the thought of how to finish them AND get that smooth line.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
I was thrilled recently to pick up this CS swing coat from SG member Sandra.  Thanks again Sandra.

I don't know when I'll get around to making it, but I just love it!
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Spring!

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
The 7908 pockets look gorgeous.  Although my mind is boggling at the thought of how to finish them AND get that smooth line.
I wonder if the pockets are meant to sit flush with the garment. If you look at an enlarged photo of the pattern on ebay, doesn't it seem like the right pocket sits slightly away from the garment? A good resource for pocket sewing instructions (and ideas) is the book, "Just Pockets" by Patricia Moyes, which is oop, but available inexpensively at Amazon. It covers curved inset pockets such as those on the 7908 jacket.
The most enriching good habit is complimenting others.

Offline Moley

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
The pockets on couture garments usually have a small amount of "give" in them, even up to half an inch, so that they stand away from the garment a little. That is, unless they are designed as purely decorative.
If you don't already have her "Basics" DVD that is well worth getting as is her newer book on Couture Tailoring Techniques, which comes with a DVD and includes a section on this very question. I have not long returned from a week's course with her, having done my first one two years ago, and it has revolutionised my attitude to sewing. I have now incorporated so many more traditional techniques into my sewing and it is also quite relaxing to do so much basting and handstitching.

Offline aisling

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
I have nearly all of them.
I'm missing the blue dress, the red dress, the pleated front pants, and the last jacket released.
The red dress is an absolute pain to find.

I did have at one point an up to date list of what patterns had been released with the description from the back, picture of the envelope and technical drawing. For a couple of the patterns I also have notes on errata and/or original garments.  I haven't updated in about 18 months though. If anybody is interested in me putting up the full list online, I'm happy to do it. It will at least give me the incentive to update the list.

Just might take a week or so as I'm still tidying up loose ends from moving.

Offline AnnikainSweden

• My Sewcial World
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
aisling, please do post your full list. Than we can compare notes :)

I recently saw the red dress being soled on eBay. Unfortunatly not in my size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncut-Butterick-3132-Claire-Shaeffers-7540-Patterns-Sizes-6-10-/111092184691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dd9c3673

The blue dress is listed on etsy.com, but the seller don't ship to Sweden.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/116083878/claire-shaeffer-custom-couture

Do you have experience in sewing any of the patterns as well? If so, what is your experience of the sizes? Smaller or larger than Vogue patterns in general?

Offline Lilibet

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
Janis, I love the swing coat.  Easy to wear, a classic forever.  Do you know when it was released?

Does anyone know if Vogue ever re-releases Claire Schaeffer patterns? 

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »
Lilibet, I read on someone's blog that it was printed in 2002.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline aisling

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »
aisling, please do post your full list. Than we can compare notes :)

Do you have experience in sewing any of the patterns as well? If so, what is your experience of the sizes? Smaller or larger than Vogue patterns in general?

I'll post the full list on Tuesday or Wednesday as I will have the internet at home, finally.

Interesting that the seller of the red dress labelled it butterick which is probably why my ebay saved searches didn't work. The seller of the blue dress does post to the UK but the postage is ridiculously high.

I don't have any experience in sewing them  :-[ I keep accumalating them in the hope my fitting will improve to the point that it is worth me putting in the hours of work on them.

Lilibet, I've never known Vogue to reissue Claire Shaeffer patterns. There has been a couple of patterns which where in the books for a long long time but that's it.

I think Janis is correct on the print date of the swing coat as my copy of the coat has copyright 2002 on it

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
I counted 34 patterns printed after trawling blogs and ebay.  I have five.  Another six are available at Vogue.  So, only 23 to go...

Most of them are jackets, but there are a cheerful number of trousers.  I like a line where the number of trousers is more than the number of dresses.  I treasure my 7881 trouser pattern, which is a straight-leg no-frills version.  There are also 3 pleated trousers (8652, 7468, and 8498) and another with a contour yoke 8156.  Actually I lie there are five dress patterns as well, plus a skirt pattern. 

Offline aisling

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
I counted 34 patterns printed after trawling blogs and ebay.  I have five.  Another six are available at Vogue.  So, only 23 to go...
You missed out the tunic shirt

I'm counting only 30 on my list. What numbers am I missing?
2 Coats
7539, 7634
1 Blouse /Tunic
5 Dresses
7540, 7658, 7966, 8449, 8578
1 Skirt
5 Trousers
7468, 7881, 8156 8498, 8652,
16 Jackets
7467 , 7908, 8087, 8259, 8333, 8369, 8400, 8428, 8481, 8519, 8621, 8692, 8732,8804, 8845, 8893

I'll put the list with envelope scans, notes and the like up next week on the web. I just think photos are more useful then a list of numbers.

edited for numerous typos
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:20:15 AM by aisling »

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Hi Aisling, didn't forget the tunic but DID write down several jackets twice -- your list tallies with mine.  Much better to have pictures, I agree!

Offline aisling

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
Sorry, just assumed that as you didn't mention the shirt that you had forgotten it. And hooray for lists matching.

I'm currently tidying up the list instead of unpacking boxes and have been foiled by the fact that patterns did not get put back in the folders before they were packed. I guess that's a sign I should go unpack some more boxes.

Offline aisling

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
 Back to procastinating with the list and I'm curious about Vogue practice of using diamonds. I know that at least three Claire Shaeffer patterns have had errors and if vogue releases a corrected version, that version is marked by diamonds on the back. The thing is I've just checked the rest of the Claire Shaeffer patterns I have, and 7908, 8259, and 8449 are marked with diamonds. Now do those diamonds mean that those patterns also have errors? Or do the mean something else?

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
I really wanted to see these pattern envelopes...a visual is better than the pattern number. The only place I could find good pictures, all together, was this blog A  Seam A Day The blog has about 20 of the patterns...so there are another 15 or so to add. Anyone know if there's a visual listing anywhere else on-line? Or good project for someone with a blog, hint hint. ;) ;)

Offline aisling

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
Anyone know if there's a visual listing anywhere else on-line? Or good project for someone with a blog, hint hint. ;) ;)

I'll be putting up photos of the envelopes and tech drawing on flickr and as a pdf download with on either Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll post a link once I've done it. If I get time I'll make a webpage as well next week, if not it'll be done at some point in the next 3 weeks.

Offline Lilibet

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »
I have only a few of the more recent Claire Schaeffer patterns and so far haven't sewn any, although I did read through the instructions for the Chanel style jacket.  I"ll tackle it later this year when I hope to have more free time.
I'll leave the collecting to others and just enjoy seeing pictures.

Offline aisling

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
Alright.

I converted the document I have from word to pdf. It's available here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2YgQB8DU1ShOWZJa2lFU3kyYXM/edit?usp=sharing

I decided to only include images I scanned so the 5 patterns I don't have are missing images. The document is sorted according to garment type. If there is a better way of organising it please let me know. The written description is still there though. I decided that it would be better to err on the side of caution regarding using other peoples photos for professional reasons. The images are in that document are not nesting as nicely in the pdf as in the word document but I don't think it's too bad.

I have started uploading the images I have to flickr. I have uploaded all the envelopes here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagealternative/sets/72157634216976088/

Please let me know if there are any errors or mistakes or ways I could make the document better.

I will add  the drawings at some point to flickr and then code the webpage. The webpage is a perfect excuse to see how much of the CSS and html I have been learning has actually stuck in my brain.

I'm definitely not going to get the webpage done before I leave for a week's fieldwork on Saturday. I'm still tidying up loose ends from moving. :(

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 12:25:27 AM »
Thank you, aisling! I think I have the red sheath dress, and can scan and send that to you if you like. Back when they were new, I really wanted a suit with the sheath dress and the swing coat. I doubt that will ever actually get made.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
aisling, thank you so much! The pdf is very impressive...  :applause2: :applause2: :applause2:

I'm so pleased you included (and researched) the release dates...I really wanted to know when the pattens first came out. Now it's easy to do a good comparison of all the jackets and see the variations in the other patterns, too.

And you even mention corrections and how to find them...wow, really great piece of work!

Offline aisling

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
Robyn, if you could send me a scan that would be great.

Bessie, release dates are mostly easy on the modern vogue. They are usually on the back of the envelope as the copyright date. The only time the release year may not coincide with copyright is if the has been a correction or a second print run.

I'm not 100% sure if I have all the corrections as there are three other patterns with diamonds next to their numbers on the backs and I'm wondering why. I'm not completely clear with the the wheres and whys of Vogue's diamond usage.

Oh and I meant to say that pdf I know prints to A4. I hope I have it within the margins of the US paper size. If I don't please tell me so I can tweak it.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Aisling, thanks so much for your efforts.  What a great reference for the CS collector! ;)

My Blog

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
Aisling, thank you so much for a fantastic resource!

Offline sewnow1004

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
Aisling - thank you so much for this resource - pdf and photos. Especially appreciate knowing how/where I can get corrections to patterns.

I am especially interested in knowing how you created this document - you mentioned css/html. If there's an easy answer, please share. If not, please don't go through a lot of trouble explaining but direct me to a tutorial website if you know of one.

Thanks again. I'm always amazed at the talents shared on Stitcher's Guild.

Linda

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics