• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 05, 2020, 01:23:19 am

News:

A big Thank-You to all of you for your continuing support of Stitcher's Guild. :)

LillieT's Celebrations! SWAP

Started by LillieT, January 24, 2020, 11:06:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LillieT

I have decided to participate (better late than never) in SWAP 2020 as the rules are flexible enough to fit my needs.  The title of my SWAP 2020 is Celebrations!!  My SWAP will include the following items: 
1.   Cream Wool cardigan - machine knit, self-drafted pattern.  Knee length, v-neck with crocheted button band and crocheted hems. This sweater will go with everything else in my SWAP.
2.   patchwork tunic - turquoise, navy and cream and maybe purple, upcycled tee shirt knits, Butterick #  with elbow length sleeves
3.   Turquoise acetate/rayon tee with elbow length sleeves - CJ Patterns "Basewear 2"
4.   Trousers - Brown twill - Marcy Tilton's 9374, version 'D'
5.   Cream wool elbow length sleeve Henley tee - Seamworks Elli.
6.   Blood Orange ponté straight skirt - CJ patterns Basewear 2
7.   Button down shirt, navy/turquoise/purple cotton print - Seamworks Rachel
8.   Turquoise Denim Jean Skirt - Seamworks Leonora - pockets modified to jean pockets
9.   Turquoise Denim Vest - Modified Cutting Lines "My Hearts a Flutter" modified to lower neckline and add a button band. 
10.   Blood orange ponté shell - Seamworks Astoria, lengthened 3 inches.  Previously sewn
11.   Turquoise print zip front cardigan - Turquoise cotton jersey lined with turquoise animal print French terry.  Nancy Ericksons cardigan (1960) altered to a round neck with self-neckband, front zipper and diagonal welt pockets.  This cardigan will also go with everything else although the button down shirt might be a bit of a stretch.  Will know better once they are both constructed. 

LillieT

January 24, 2020, 02:05:56 pm #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:22:56 pm by LillieT Reason: My attempt to insert an image didn't work.
This is a collage of the fabrics I'll be using, some of the swatches are approximate, I either haven't received them or  haven't ordered them yet.  There aren't many fabric shops in the area where I live and most of those are basically quilt shops - so most of my fabric purchases are online, which can be tricky. 

It has been awhile since I have posted in this forum, I may or may not remember how to post pics.  We shall see.......

LillieT

My progress so far:

• 1.   Cream Wool cardigan
      2.   patchwork tunic
      3.   Turquoise acetate/spandex tee with elbow length sleeves
      4.   Brown twill Trousers - muslin done
      5.   Cream wool elbow length sleeve Henley tee 
      6.   Blood Orange ponté straight skirt - cut out, need matching thread to finish
      7.   Button down shirt, navy/turquoise/purple cotton print
      8.   Turquoise Denim Jean Skirt
      9.   Turquoise Denim Vest
      10.   Blood orange ponté shell - Previously sewn
      11.   Turquoise print zip front cardigan - done
    I finished the Turquoise print jersey cardigan yesterday - took a bit of googling to figure out the process to bag the sleeve lining but once I figured it out it went really slick.  I will get some pics when it's lighter outside. 
    I plan to go to town today and purchase matching thread for the blood orange ponté straight skirt which is already cut out.  It will be a quick sew. 
    I muslined the Marcy Tilton trousers earlier this month in an indigo denim that I purchased online and wasn't really pleased with when I received it.  The fit is great but the denim is a bit too stiff for the pattern.  I have ordered a twill from Emma Ones Sock that I hope will have more drape.  I will probably wear the denim around the house and it may soften up some with washing.  I might try Peggy Sager's recommendation to soften denim - washing them in Coke. 

LillieT

Thanks for the kind comment Ruthie.  Yes, my inspiration for my SWAP is the several Celebrations I will be attending this spring and summer.
My upcoming celebrations will include three of my granddaughters graduating from various medical schools, the first is graduating from Reiki massage school in April, the second will be graduating with a PTA (physical therapy assistant) in early June, and the third will graduate in late June with a doctorate in Naturopathy.  The last celebration will be in late July when I will fly to North Carolina to welcome my 19th great-grandchild into the world. I am very proud of each of these grandchildren and will celebrate with bright colors and "bells on".   

LillieT

On the main thread I rambled on and on this morning.  I was able to get the needle and it fixed my skipped stitches problem.  Turquoise patchwork tunic finished.  I used 5 different thrift shop tees and Katherine Tilton's OOP Vogue 8817, chopped up even more.  I wanted it to be a bit longer than the original pattern and some of the pattern pieces wouldn't fit on a tee when I extended them 4 inches.  I also wanted to add pockets.   I'll get pics of the back after it's washed, I marked one piece in the back with washable marker in the wrong place so need to wash that out. 

LillieT

This jacket pattern was based on CJ Patterns Basewear 2, enlarged it and added a front zipper and slash welt pockets.  The main fabric is a cotton/lycra, a dream to work with.  It is lined with a french terry.  The new technique I used was baggin this jacket.  Should have taken pics during the process, I had a devil of a time figuring out the sleeves.  Finally found a You Tube video that made it clear.  It is completely done on the machine except for the turning opening I closed by hand.  I had inserted a lot of linings, but never used this technique, pretty slick.You cannot see attachments on this board.  The second photo shows the inside welt pocket, handy for ID and credit card if not using a purse.  You cannot see attachments on this board.

LillieT

I almost finished the turquoise denim jean skirt when I tried it on and realized something was terribly wrong.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it is a wadder for sure.  So, to replace it in my collection, I decided to make a jeans skirt from a brown denim stripe I've had sitting in my stash for a long time.  It is fairly heavy but should do nicely for a jeans skirt. 
I can't figure out what went wrong with the jean skirt.  I had cut it out the beginning of February and set it aside to work on bazaar stuff.  I must have cut something incorrectly, I know I added length to the back but not the front - so another mistake would not be surprising.  It juts out in the back, not at all like the first skirt I made from that pattern.  I thought the only thing I had changed was the pockets and added slightly to the width.  Oh well, glad I didn't pay a lot for the fabric, found it on sale at fabric.com.
I like the turquoise denim vest, but think it will need to be replaced in my SWAP collection, time will tell when I get more of the garments made.