• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
February 21, 2020, 11:55:04 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Demented Fairy's A-Lister collection

Started by dementedfairy, January 01, 2020, 06:39:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dementedfairy

Inspiration- Gentleman Jack
[Anne Lister- get it?]

Challenge element- using my two fabric embellishment books at last

This will be mostly a variety of shirts and tops, with interesting sleeves,  with a corset-style waistcoat as my unifying item.  A couple of pairs of trousers [another challenge, I really can't seem to get a good fit these days] and a gored long-ish skirt should comply with all of the requirements.

My collection of images and ideas is in my blog post here.  Now I need to get on with it, and finally tidy up the bomb site which is my sewing room.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

dementedfairy

Right- I've tackled the horrible, much-delayed job of blitzing my sewing room and clearing away all the costume-making debris I've accumulated this year.  I gained another bin bag full of scraps to stuff another Closet Case Files pouffe, and had plenty of chances to think over which patterns I want to use for my SWAP, and to locate some of the fabrics I KNEW I had lol
I plan to make
plain black skirt and trousers.  The skirt will be a copy of a  much-loved, but noe deceased, linen panelled and tucked skirt from Per Una.  I have ordered the requisite black linen, so that will be underway fairly soon.
There are several contenders for the trousers, and I may end up making more than one pair, assuming my battles to get a good fit don't make me fizzle out in despair.
lightly boned waistcoat, inspired by Prior Attire's riding corsets.  Several contenders for fabrics, ranging from a greenish tweed remnant to a deep purple velvet.  This will be one of the items that goes with everything, which is why most of the rest of the collection will be monochrome.
For the rest, I will be making tops in black and white, with interesting sleeve details/embellishment.
Plain white shirt x 2
Plain black shirt x 2
Black polo neck
White polo neck

That makes 9 in total, with the option to flex a little for more trousers or tops.

I've ordered a waistcoat pattern to start me off, but hope most of the rest will be from existing patterns, or from Franken-patterning a little.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

dementedfairy

I finished my tidy up, got a huge pile of fabrics sorted out, and started getting some patterns assigned.  Blog Post Here

dementedfairy

...the sewing room is finally cleared, and I got to my massive cutting out project.  So far, 7 tops and a skirt...
blog post here

teaser pic

dementedfairy

Two linen skirts are sewn, all bar the hems [they are very flared so I'm letting them hang for  a couple of days to droooooop before hemming.
Today I cracked on with two fast easy makes [HA!] and ran up a couple of black polo necks, one with plain sleeves, one with punky/goth sleeves from a random fabric that's loitered in stash for several years, and proved to be a slight pain in the making.  Before I could completely finish them off, my overlocker decided to sulk.  It does this occasionally, and has to be re-threaded, brushed and sworn out several times before it will deign to continue.  I gave up for today.
It's looking good so far though.  2 shirts will be next, then I can re-thread everything to white and get the next batch underway.

dementedfairy

This weekend is hemming time!
The two linen skirts have been hanging all week so I will level those off tomorrow.  Not sure yet if I'm going to hand-hem [which I like, especially accompanied by a talking book] or to go with a tiny machine stitched hem.
I managed a little sewing this week and knocked up 2 black polo tops.  I'm very pleased with them, but my overlocker decided to throw one of its regular sulks before I finished the hems and cuffs, so they ALSO need finishing.
I would like to get started on at least one shirt too- they are cut out and interfaced already, and the machines are both threaded up in black, so it makes sense to crack on.
I got a bit side tracked and started planning the non-SWAP World Book Day adaptation of my Anne Lister look- the pelisse/spencer which will go over skirt, shirt and wasitcoat.  Pattern and fabrics are on order...

dementedfairy

I tickled the overlocker with a soft brush, blew in its ear, and it deigned to start up again.  Bloody thing.  Skirts are now hemmed and hand-finished, and so are the two tops.  Shirt time tomorrow.

dementedfairy

Both linen skirts and both black polo tops have been worn a couple of times each.  BOTH skirts then had to be altered as I seem to have somehow shrunk an inch round the middle.  As I have nothing much in the  way of bum and hips, my waistbands need to be quite snug or everything travels south.
One had to have the zip removed, and re-inserted with a smaller waistline, with the other I snuck a bit of wide elastic onto the seam allowances at the top edge, which should do the trick [not tested yet!]
One top is absolutely fine [the punky-sleeved one] the other needed the sleeves slimming down rather a lot, and also shortening.  Strange eh?
Two shirts are underway, but I'm only doing very bitty sewing right now...and OFSTED are in tomorrow...

dementedfairy

I survived OFSTED- although I did get sent home after my observation as I am in huge pain- my right hip [resurfaced and then replaced] seems to have abruptly deteriorated badly.  I can barely walk, so can only sew between painkillers...
Anyway, today I got back to work and finished the plain black shirt.  I had planned to embellish the sleeves, and found various options for trim...then decided I love it absolutely plain but with very fancy silver buttons.
I'm now partway through the Donna Karan V2813 shirt, all concealed buttons and fancy touches.  The sleeves are in a fab Alexander Henry tattoo print, which I've wanted to use for ages.
Looks like the embellishment techniques will be on the white tops instead!

dementedfairy

2nd shirt completed.  Still no pics of me wearing any of it, the weather is just too horrible, but a couple of hanger shots of the shirts at least.  More pics of the internal bits and bobs on the blog here

dementedfairy

Both shirts have had a couple of wears this week, and all was good, apart from the fact that before being washed, the collar on the tattoo-shirt is VERY stiff, so I prefer it unbuttoned and lying flat.
Got both machines re-threaded in white/ivory, and started the soft white drop-shoulder top, with French seams...but stalled.  I decided it would be very useful plain, but that I wanted some embellishment, and after much rummaging managed to dig out 2 beautiful cherry blossom appliques that have been in stash for quite a while.  The are the perfect length to place along the sleeves, so that's what I'm going to do.  A bit of quiet hand-sewing...and for once, I caught myself before completing the garment, so the sleeve seams are still open.  Much easier!
I'm waiting to hear from the doc about my aches and pains- looks like there's some knee damage from a fall in January, although they SAY my hips look fine.  Yeah right, feel this pain matey and tell me again!
Ah well, half term to rest and recuperate a bit...

dementedfairy

The blouse with cherry blossom appliqu├ęs is done, and I just ran up another polo top, white this time, with crinkle jersey sleeves.  Simple, but effective.  I'll get round to some pictures eventually!
Now back to the machine for white/cream polo neck #2