• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 03, 2020, 03:51:50 pm

News:

A big Thank-You to all of you for your continuing support of Stitcher's Guild. :)

SWAP 2020 - what is 'finished' and thoughts about photos

Started by Sew Ruthie Sews, July 03, 2020, 08:13:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sew Ruthie Sews

Hi everyone,

What are the thoughts about the SWAP photos this year?
Not sure how many folks have finished as per the official rules, so rather than not have many entries I would love if this year anyone who has sewn part of their SWAP can take photos and share them with us.
That would allow us all to enjoy and celebrate what has been sewn, and the makers involved.

If the weather holds up I hope to do some photos this weekend, then post them to my blog and share them here as links.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

warpjr1965

Ruthie I agree, I would love to see everything people have been working on. It has been such a crazy year with so many disruptive events, some celebration would be a nice distraction.

Hoping also to get photos ready this weekend, although it will be 90 F here, and much of what I made is suitable for winter,  ::)
Wendy

stephaniecan

Oh my gosh I would love that. To be honest, I really don't care to compete at all and would be happy just to share my collection for the fun of it and not be part of the voting at all. I would love to see what everyone else has done. In fact, I would love that as a permanent aspect of SWAP.

Wendy, I hear you on the hot temperatures! I put on my sweater a couple of weekends ago when it was 38 C and I think I gave myself heatstroke! Stay cool!
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

Melinda_B

I like that idea.  I didn't finish (ok, haven't actually counted, but I'm certain I didn't do nine tops!) but do plan to blog them.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

indigotiger

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that DragonLady has set up a gallery for SWAP, and I will be putting up my suggestions for photo rules, which will basically be the same as they are every year... one photo of the whole grouping (taken all together, not a composite), and photos of the individual garments, plus at least one showing clothing "as worn" on whoever the SWAP is for... It might be good to show a photo of what the new thing you learned is... I know I plan on taking a photo of my "tower placket"  We don't have to vote if none of the participants want to have that happen; in my personal opinion, we are all winners, since we have been participating, have been surviving, and as far as I have been able to discern, our SWAP clothing has been doing exactly what it is intended to do, to become part of our wardrobes! I would love to see pictures of what the folks who didn't make 11 garments did make, because the purpose of SWAP is to inspire thinking about making clothing that combines well
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

CCL

Ruthie, what a super idea!  I would really love to see what others have made.  I only got 6 items done, but since social distancing, my clothing needs are radically different and I kind of lost heart. (and of course, not that I need any clothing.)

It's not really SWAP related, but yesterday, after using an embroidery design on my machine as part of patching the busted out knees on some old jeans - I thought a 6-PAC (though it probably should be named something like 6-GRUNT (Garments Really Using New Techniques) based entirely on new techniques (or never explored sewing machine features) would be interesting.  Adding that  "R"  is so that saying the acronym would mimic the sound made when working on the new tool/technique.

I have been thinking I'd like to invest in a pin tucking presser foot, for example, and could see a 6-GRUNT that would include a couple of pin-tucked items, maybe a corded button hole using the button hole attachment, several garments an embroidery stitch, that kind of thing.  Maybe 6 is too ambitious and it should be a 3-GRUNT.

It might be fun, or not.

stephaniecan

@CCL I like the 6-GRUNT idea, although it could end up being gruelling. :) It's a neat idea.

@indigotiger I am happy with either voting or no voting, so I don't want to influence others' preferences, but am simply happy to make stuff that I'll wear. It might be easier on everyone to skip voting this year.

As for the new techniques...mine ended up being working with knits, which I did in a perfunctory and not entirely successful way, so am I allowed to blur the photos? :D
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

Helen M

A great idea Ruthie!

I bowed out early on but would be happy post my meagre 4 items + 1RTW.
Sewing in Cheshire

indigotiger

I tried to set up a poll to ask if folks were wanting to vote for a SWAP winner, or not, but could not make the interface let me do that... My opinion is that it would be easier and more fun to just to a show and tell via the gallery here. I am going to set a deadline for photos to be posted by the end of the last weekend in July (26th) which gives everyone at least two weeks to get images they like...

As I mentioned earlier, the photo guidelines are: one photo of the whole grouping (taken all together, not a composite), at least one showing clothing "as worn" on whoever the SWAP is for, and a photo showing what the new thing you learned is, if it is a technique or detail, (if it is a particular fabric new to you, then maybe a photo of just the garment(s) using that fabric. You can have between 6 to 12 photos. Dragonlady has asked that you "name the images with their own username, the name of their SWAP, and preferably a number showing how they want them to appear in the category.  For instance: LuzClara10wildcard.jpg"
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

dementedfairy

Hi all!  I sort of bowed out as I knew I wouldn't get finished...then popped back to see I'm not alone.  The Bell's palsy has made me reluctant to get on with photos [not to mention hair horror] but I think I can cope with taking some for sharing purposes...maybe with a mask on! [I've made some cute ones lol]

Looking forward to sharing
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

stephaniecan

That sounds great, @indigotiger

I'm not really competitive at the best of times, so I am happy to just have a show and tell.

We had such a heat wave this week that I couldn't put on my garments, but will make a point of taking the photos this week.

@dementedfairy Would love to see your work! And the masks! I am starting to acclimate to wearing a mask and it just feels like my civic duty, but there is still a tinge of depressing associated with the mask wearing...

Melinda_B

Quote from: stephaniecan on July 11, 2020, 07:09:59 pmWe had such a heat wave this week that I couldn't put on my garments, but will make a point of taking the photos this week.

Whereas I'll be taking photos inside with the heating turned up!   ;D
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

stephaniecan

@Melinda_B I know how unappealing it can be to change clothes when it is chilly! :)

mahgret

I think I am not meant to do SWAP.  I sewed all the items and then just over 2 weeks ago I became terribly ill with pulmonary emboli in each lung and a serious infection in one lung requiring surgery. I spent one week in the ICU, just got home a day ago.  Photos are not happening, todays big event was my niece coming over to wash my hair.

Cheriecz

Mahgret, what an ordeal! So happy to hear you are home and better! Bless you, hope you recover well.
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert

warpjr1965

Oh Mahgret! I am so glad you are back at home, what an ordeal. Healing hugs coming your way.
Wendy

Sewbroidery

Mahgret that is a terrible thing to go through. Hope you are doing well now. Best wishes to you

sewsy

God Bless You, Mahgret. Sending you cyberhugs and prayers.

dementedfairy

Oh Mahgret hope you're feeling a bit brighter now.
My Bell's is much improved, mainly [we think] due to the amount of smiles and laughs our new kitten provokes.
I still haven't taken any photos though, or felt like finishing up my supplies of fabric bought for scrubs, or sewing up any of the things I hopefully cut out...or even making my masks ready for returning to work.
Returning to work is in fact consuming all of my thoughts right now, not in a good way.  The re opening of schools is not going to be pretty, despite every possible precaution, and the government's prevaricating makes it even more worrying.
I think sewing will go back to being therapy very soon...
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

fzxdoc

Mahgret, what a terrible ordeal you've been through. I hope you're feeling better and continue to do well on the road back to being completely healthy again. It's a long and arduous journey. I wish you well.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

CCL

Mahgret -- just saw your news... so sorry to hear this;  I hope you are doing better now and continuing to heal.