Author Topic: Twill tape ties -finish the ends?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Penwalk

Twill tape ties -finish the ends?
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
I am sewing the Silhouette Pattern #4509 Run Away Dress: http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/patterns/p_4509.htm. It has string ties at the waist for closures. I will use a cotton twill tape for the ties. How would you finish/hem the ends of the twill tape ties?
Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.  ~Epictetus

Offline Pina

Re: Twill tape ties -finish the ends?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Nice dress ! I think I would make short sample string ties.Cut the twill tape at an angle,apply fray check to prevent fraying and knot the ends,or fold each end back twice and topstitch it to see if I like it.

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
I recently used cotton twill tapes as belt ties- I turned the ends under twice and machine stitched it.
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Offline Penwalk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Pina's suggestion to make some samples to try the different methods is such good advice for sewers for any time we try a new technique. Buy extra notions or fabrics for samples.

I used the turn the ends twice and stitch method. I stitched back and forth about 3 times (just to make sure it held). My stitching was not neat; however, the black thread on the black twill tape hid my mistakes.

The difficulties I had were...

• to keep the side edges even when positioning it for sewing. When I was already done, I thought to use a glue stick or the iron on seam tape would be good to hold it in a neat fold.
  • to start the sewing on the edge of the thick fold and to sew the thickness of such a narrow band. Several times, I had to lift the needle and the presser foot to move the fabric slightly over manually.

I need to buy some Fray Check and experiment with it for future projects. So many sewers use it that it must be a good product to have in my sewing box.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
    • to start the sewing on the edge of the thick fold and to sew the thickness of such a narrow band. Several times, I had to lift the needle and the presser foot to move the fabric slightly over manually.

Instead of starting at the edge start in the centre - stitch to, but not over the edge, then reverse back to the other side, before stitching forward to overlap the start point.
    If you're not happy about stitching backwards you can turn your work. with the needle down, at each edge. I aways work tiny hems like this.

Offline Penwalk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »
    Ann, of course that is the answer. There is no arrow that says, you must start here. A perfect solution. I will remember it and use in other situations.

My next ties will be the best ties ever sewn, thanks to the advice in this thread. I hope other new sewers will find it years from now and practice the skills I learned this week.

Offline Karla

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
    In tie ends that are under 3/4" wide, I tie an overhand knot a few inches from the end of the tape, and tug on it mercilessly until it's as tight as possible.  Then I trim the end close to the knot and dab Fray Block on it.   I think in all the years I've taken the easy way out, only one knot has ever loosened after a few years of use, and it was easy to fix by repeating the procedure.   

Offline Penwalk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
    Another brilliant idea. Thank you, Karla.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics