• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 10, 2019, 09:36:26 am


If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Paris in November?

Started by Susan in Saint John, December 01, 2019, 04:36:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Susan in Saint John

The theme of my proposed SWAP is 11 garments suitable for a real or imaginary visit to Paris in November 2020.  The inspiration is a garment that I made almost 20 years ago which is a bit of an orphan.  It is a Chanel styled jacket made in a Susan Khalje "Little French Jacket" course in Halifax in 2005.  And yes, it still fits me!  It's a wool tweed/boucle in various warm browns [dark chocolate to caramel] with some red in it.

This jacket will be a garment made before the start of SWAP 2020.  My plan is that it will go with all of the other garments in the SWAP.

The second garment made before the start of SWAP will be a Loes Hinse Italian Blouse made from the same fabric as the lining of the jacket.  I am planning on changing the buttons on this blouse to self-covered as I'm not happy with the current plastic buttons.  This blouse was made several years ago and it is also a bit of an orphan.

The remaining 9 garments will be a combination of trousers and tops.  Although a dress and/or a second jacket/vest are possibilities.

I plan to sew from stash.  The coordinating fabrics that I have on hand include 2 pieces of menswear suiting for trousers.  One is the darkest brown in the jacket and the other is a medium brown.  I do have another rusty brown which would work for trousers but it is heavier and would need to be lined as it's a bit scratchy.  This might work for winter at home but would be too hot for Paris.  I also have some linen.  I have several pieces of silk dupioni for tops or perhaps trousers.  I have a piece of caramel silk charmeuse and a piece of caramel Thai silk for tops/shirts.  I have a length of kind of striped Bali Batik rayon which could work for tops or a dress.  I also have a piece of red flecked with peach wool blend which could be a jacket.  I do have some RTW in my closet which coordinate.

The available fabrics would be dressier than I'd usually wear at home but would work for a big city trip or for some activities at home.

Susan in Saint John

A lot of what I wear is lagenlook.  This doesn't necessarily work so well with the theme jacket. However, trousers with bottom details like some of the Sewing Workshop patterns or Marcy Tilton patterns will work.  Mostly elastic waist and pockets are essential features.  As this will be a travel wardrobe, I'll be making security pockets copied from some Tilley men's pants.  I don't have a TNT pant pattern so some trouser muslins will be required.

I think that knee length tunics with hem interest may work with the jacket and trousers.  I made a Lynn Mizono https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/designer/lynn-mizono test garment and I think I can morph the skirt onto the Springfield top [add sleeves?]

I am going to build on my TNT Springfield Top as the jacket is warm enough that sleeveless tops will work and some of the pieces of fabric from stash may not be long enough for sleeves.  Developing a TNT top with sleeves is one of my priorities and SWAP will be an incentive to do this.  I would also like to make the Harrison Shirt [another Cashmerette pattern].

Susan in Saint John

Now the tough question is what will I do for a new technique?  As I've been sewing for decades, there is not a whole lot I haven't tried.  I would like to improve my bias facings as I haven't mastered getting them to lay perfectly flat.  Welt pockets with a zipper in trousers is something that I've not tried so that may be my new technique.  As I work away on SWAP, I may come up with something else.

The extent of my plan is to basically make bottoms and tops from a group of fabrics from stash which coordinate with my LFJ and develop a TNT trouser pattern and a TNT top pattern with sleeves.  Completing that by April 30 would make me very happy as would a trip to Paris in November.

Susan in Saint John

I have some leather that coordinates nicely with my fabrics.  I've never sewn real leather so I might find a place where I can use some in this SWAP.