Author Topic: McCalls Raggedy Ann pattern 2531 - help!  (Read 6308 times)

Offline DustyLane

McCalls Raggedy Ann pattern 2531 - help!
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Hi everybody!!
I am new to this forum and actually sewing too. I happen to pick up an old sewing machine at a garage sale last summer that seems to work really well. It's got me interested in learning how to sew. But mostly all I want to do is make a rag dol, not just any rag doll, but Raggedy Ann and not the kind that you needle sculpture but the kind that is sewn on a sewing machine lrom the Raggedy Ann pattern that I got with the sewing machine the day I bought it. I kept looking at that pattern for months trying to figure it out and I must say I haven't made much progress there. I started this doll twice (made the bodys and arms) and so far all I am doing is ripping out what I do because I am uncertain as when to sew what to where and how. I don't understand these patterns. Would it kill them to say things like, "cut all pieces out at once and sew them all together at once with one seam running down all" or something like that, not that I know what I am talking about there, just an example. But no...they just show diagrams I don't understand. I got so mad yesterday, I threw both stuffed dolls I made in the trash.

I had no room left on the shoulders to connect the arms and no idea how to attach the feet. I think these sewing patterns assume you know some things because they sure aren't telling you much. My grand daughter loves my knitted dolls but I want to make a sewn Raggedy Ann for her because as a child I remember how much I loved the one my mother made for me. I sure wish that lady from the garage sale kept her Raggedy Ann pattern because now it's haunting me, or is that taunting me? Any help you can give me will greatly appreciated. thank you all so much in advance. Hope you have a better day than me!
Dusty
Does anyone here have better written out instructions for the McCalls pattern #2531? I am trying to make the 25 inch doll.  I will gladly pay you for it if you have or if you are willing to write it up for me. I watched all the rag doll and Raggedy Ann videos I could find on you tube and I notice that here too they skip over certain "little" things that to them they already know and kind've do it subconsciously, but for a novice that "little" thing they don't show is important! I am going to give this doll one last shot then the McCalls pattern is going to follow the sewed up dolls into the trash as well!  Help! One  more time!
Dusty 

Online sdBev

• sdBev
Re: McCalls Raggedy Ann pattern 2531 - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
Hi Dusty
Welcome to the board
Apparently McCalls assigned that number to two different patterns.  I did find a review for the dolls at PR   I think I saw that the Raggedy Ann pattern is from the 1970's, that's 40 years old. Most of those earlier patterns assumed you knew how to sew and only needed the pattern shape.  I"m not really a toy maker and can't help much.  Hopefully someone else on this board will have some tips for you and of course one of the Admins will be along shortly to give you more information about us, Stitchers Guild.

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
Thanks for replying! Are there newer Raggedy Ann patterns out there that are better?

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
I've just typed "Raggedy Ann pattern" into Google and found a good selection.  ;D

This is the one from Simplicity.

I think you#ll get on much better with a modern pattern  - good luck and welcome to Stitcher's Guild!

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
If you are using the Raggedy Ann McCalls pattern from the 70s, I made that doll a couple of times.  I don't still have the doll or the pattern, but I was in high school and made it for gifts.  I was a tenacious and experienced sewist with lots of time, and I recall the first one being pretty wicked trying to get it all together.  I made the biggest doll first (I think it had maybe three sizes), so the pieces were easier to put together, and it still was challenging.  I loved embroidering the heart on her chest, but doing the yarn hair was a pain.  It was a great doll, though.  I don't know if I would trash it if you really like Raggedy Ann, it's a great doll, but I would look for one of the newer patterns to try first.  They do have much simpler instructions, and newer terminology. 

If you want to give that doll pattern a shot, make really sure you have all the pieces and that they are labeled correctly.  I remember it having a ton of pieces, some flesh colored, some white, the red striped legs, the black shoes.....  be very painstaking about comparing the pieces you have with the list on the pattern, and make sure you aren't mixing up pieces from different doll sizes.  Use pinned or sticky notes to keep straight the right and wrong sides of the fabrics and the piece numbers, as well as any little markings or notches or letters, and then one piece at a time match up the edges in the order they tell you.  Those patterns have wedges and rims and things that don't just "match all up together and sew up the back."  Good luck.  K

Offline Pina

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:24 PM »
Hi DustyLane,welcome to Stitcher's Guild !  :)

Here is a free rag doll tutorial,I hope it helps you create a cute Raggedy Ann doll.Please come back and show us pictures of the Raggedy Ann doll you created !  ;)

And here are other free Raggedy Ann Patterns,I hope you find a freebie you like.  ;)

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:12:03 AM »
Thanks Pina, I will save these!! If I ever get something together that remotely resembles a rag doll, I will post it here, LOL! I am still trying!
Dusty

Online kaaren

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
Dusty, I can surely help!  I have the 25in couple made some 50 years ago.  I think it is the pattern before the one you have!  My pattern had a dress with real sleeves and a waist.  However, the body went together the same, at one time I had both patterns.  The arms come out of the side body, sl lower than the shoulders.  I made and stuffed the arms and legs separately and then sort of inserted them into the body.  If needed you can scrunch them.  Stitch the elbow and knee seam lines before you insert the appendages into the body.  Since the dolls can be real treasures, I actually changed the thread to black for the "feet" and made sure to match the leg stripes.

I hope you have the transfers for the face and the "I love you heart".  Since the dolls are both loved and examined, I was pleased to see that I actually made matching bias tape for the neck edge, it encloses the rick rack!  I must have been out of control, but the dolls were loved and admired by lots of new in-laws.  And I was a graduate student wife who taught, with more time than money!  So take a deep breath, collect the findings and make those treasures.  Kaaren

Offline spookietoo

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
Dusty- Like Karent-I made the same dolls when I was in high-school with lots of time and already years of sewing, embroidery, knitting, etc. I had intended to make both Ann & Andy for 2girls I sat for regularly, but they only each received an Ann!

Perhaps if you started over or post here as you go, everyone can help out. Someone may even be interested in a sew-along.
-Tina

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Tina,
That would be great to have a sew-a-long for this Raggedy Ann doll!!! Especially this pattern. Is that allowed? You know I really hate to give in to a couple of sheets of tissue paper that is doing a wonderful job of whipping my butt. I for one would be jumping with joy if such were to take place!! Before I retired I guess I would not of become so frustrated with things so easily as I do now...guess it's because I had the money to fritter away on materials before. Now I don't. And so I am forced to be frugal and careful with the little materials I have. I think there is only so many times you can rip out sticthes before that edge is beyond redemption and I have to use a new slice of material. 

Btw, I got back that mess I made (the first 2 Annie attempts). I trashed them by putting them in a plastic grocery bag and flinging them out the back window (boy was I mad). I watched gleefully as the wind kicked the bag all over the yard.  I smacked my hands together and said, "that's that!" Next day my son said "Hey Mom, look what I found in the yard. This yours?" I snapped the bag with my 2 failed attempts in it out of his hand and leered at him. I groaned a mumbled "thanks" with no further explanantion offered. I am sure he was expecting a joyful response for the good deed he had done in retrieving Mama's lost work, but I was (and still am) pretty mad at this project for taking up so much of my time and material then having the nerve to go all weird on me. One semi finished doll was totally unredeemable, but the other one is still ok to work with (I think). But I doubt if I will because I think it is out of proportion or something...just looks weird to me. I will post pictures of it here as soon as I figure out how to post pictures that is. And I will post pictures of the other pieces I cut out and sewed together that I also think are destined for the toilet. I will try to explain what I did and what it is I don't understand as I go.
Thanks guys for all your input in advance...I can't wait to hear your replies to this mess!
Dusty

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Karen,

I sure envy you your sewing savy. Sure wish I had it!! I almost added, maybe I am too old to learn new tricks and should have started waaaay earlier in my life, but then that's not me; I don't give in that easily. Guess that's why I am so mad at this pattern because brought me to my knees and it ws very humbling to say the least. You think you can help me lick this thing? Boy I can't wait to get over on it!!!
LOL!
Dusty

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
...just testing to see if a picture shows up. First time trying.
Gosh, I LOVE these two!! Hope they show up!
Dusty

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »
Now that I got a pciture to show up...here is my mess:

Those legs look way long and wider thanthey should be. The tops of them overlap when trying to attach to the bottom of the body. The feet? No clue how to stick them on. The shoulders? Don't seem to be there tho it looked like they are there in the pattern???
Do you sew the upper leg piece to the lower leg piece and the foot all at once with the piece spread open flat and not yet sewn?  I sewed the foot to one of the legs just to see how it looked, this prior to my tossing the doll out as I knew at that point my patience was nearing an end. It too looked to wide to fit the foot. Oy!
Dusty

Online kaaren

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »
Well, lost my long response!  Another try.  Dusty, do not give up.  However, first get out your seam ripper.  On my 25 in Ann, the finished arms are 9 in and the long legs are about 13 1/2 inches.  Remove the stuffing from the upper arms, make the lower arms and hands quite full.  Stitch a horizontal line 5 inches from the hand.  Now loosely stuff the upper arms.  Open a small area under the one inch shoulder, on the body side.  I sort of scrunched my arms into the area.  Try to make sure the thumbs are pointing up!  I would machine stitch securely, especially if the dolls are for young children.

Now for those legs, Stitch the black foot together, leaving about a one inch area of the heel unstitched.   Attach the striped piece to the black foot.  You will probably need to baste so that the stripe looks neat where it is attached to the foot.  Attach upper leg to lower stripes.  Now stitch the back seam from foot  to end of upper leg, match those stripes.  It will be like an old nylon seam!  Firmly stuff the foot and striped leg portion.  Stitch a horizontal line about one inch above the end of the stripes.  Finish stuffing the legs.  Now undo the lower doll closed body and insert the legs.  My legs exactly fit the opening.  I did not scrunch them.  I forgot to notice:  did you embroider the heart on her chest?  I assume the face has been embroidered before stuffing. 

I know they will turn out fine.  Hope this helps.  Kaaren

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
Ok Kaaren, I will give it another go. But I have to say my heart is shrinking at the thought of it. Funny thing is I can knit fabulous dolls like mad but this sewing business is getting the best of me. At least now I have some very helpful information you typed up here to give me a leg up on it. I shall report back soon. Girl, I LOVE YOU!
BTW, I also have the Simplicity pattern # 9447. Ann Rowley mentioned it before which made me go look and see what that other pattern I had was. It sort've rung a bell with me. I am wondering if that one easier to follow. Well, I may get a chance to find ouit if this one bombs out on me again...LOL! I will post more when I have made some progress, I hope, I hope, I hope!
Thanks girl...you're great!!!
Dusty 

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »
....oh forgot to mention that Simplicity pattern number 9447 is for raggedy Ann. I seem to have Raggedy Ann fetish these days! I sure hope I can get her done. Like I said, that Raggedy Ann doll my mother gave me when I was a kid literally just came apart I carried it around so much. I was always poking the stuffing back in.

this is one of my knitted dolls; she's 23 inches and quite sassy. You'd think I could sew something, right? I know...I AM ashamed!
Dusty

Offline tcinsatx

• Terry in San Antonio
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
Wow, Dusty, that knitted doll is just incredible! I'm in awe.

I'm certain you'll get your Ann finished and she'll be just as lovely.
Terry

Incidentally, in Seattle they say you haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running! -- Jeff Bezos

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:54 AM »
Thank You TC, yes these dolls are too cute, but they take a bunch of time to make - 3 ot 4 weeks!  As for getting one sewn up, well, I am starting to believe I AM going to get it done. Why? Because I stopped trying to figure out that McCall pattern and started working the Simplicity pattern. WOW, what a difference! I actually understand what they are talking about. Now I know why they call them "Simplicity" patterns because they really are pretty easy to follow. At least so far I am moving right along with it. Leave to me to pick the McCall pattern to start with. My head throbs just typing the word "McCall." I will never touch another McCall pattern again! That was a nightmare. I got the legs all worked up going by the Simplicity pattern which I couldn't get anywhere near done using the McCall pattern. Who knew?
I also printed out what Kaaran wrote and I have that going for me too. So...looks like I am on my way!! Thanks everybody!!!!!
Dusty 

Offline DustyLane

Raggedy Ann - body completed
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »
I don't believe it. I finally was able to follow an honest to goodness pattern - Raggedy Ann. I failed miserably with the first pattern I tried to follow which was McCall's pattern #2531 (very poorly written instructions) but I was successful when I switched to Simplicity pattern #9447. I just finished the body last night; I am not that happy with it because I think I messed up with the leg attachments, but considering I am new to all this I think it turned out better than expected. This first one, as is all my first attempts, is a mock-up, the one I generally make ALL MY MISTAKES on. But corrections have been noted in the margins of the pattern for future reference to avoid repeating them. I don't understand how I messed up attaching the legs yet but makes no difference at this point because I think what I did for this first doll (to solve that issue) I will probably just keep doing.  I see I have a tendency to over stuff too. Well that's another issue I'll need to address.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:28:29 AM by DustyLane »

Offline WendyW

Re: Raggedy Ann - body completed
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:38 PM »
Looks like you did a GREAT job! Amazing what a difference a well-written set of instructions makes. One thing you might note for future dolls: it's usually easier to embroider the face before sewing the doll together. 

I still have the Raggedy Ann and Andy my mom made for me when I was in Kindergarten. They got new clothes last year for Christmas.

DSC02022 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:34:40 PM by WendyW »
Homeschool Mom and lifetime lover of sewing and crafts.

Online kaaren

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Dusty, so proud of you for never giving up.  They look great.  Kaaren

Offline DustyLane

Why is this shaped like this?
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I'm a newbie too and trying my hand at making a rag doll (Raggedy Ann pattern Simplicity # 9447). I sewed up and stuffed the whole body after much trial and tribulation and am now starting in on the doll's clothes.  Here is a drawing I made of the part of the pattern dealing with the doll's dress that I don't get. I copied it from the pattern as it is shown in the pattern. And mainly it is this top part I don't get.

I just don't understand why the right side (see letter C) of the dress's top is to be sewn differently than the left side (letter D).  Letter "C" shows it to be cut out way different than "D." Also the right side of the dress has a pleat, but the left side doesn't? And what's going on with the left sleeve side? See where letter "B" is pointing to. There is a portion cut away at the top of that sleeve and not on the right sleeve? Why is that? The pattern directions don't say what's up with that.
Thank you for any help you can give me,
Dusty

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
Thanks Kaaren. There were moments tho!! LOL!

Now I have another problem. Here is a drawing I made - a quick copy from Simplicity pattern 9447 for Raggedy Ann's dress. Ok, here I go again. I don't get why some parts of the upper part of this dress are to be sewn the way the pattern shows it. First there is a "pleat" on the right sleeve side but not on the left sleeve side? That certainly doesn't compute for me. The pattern doesn't show a pleat there! You would think what you do on one side, you would do on the other, no? Also, the neck line: the right side of it is cut weird (see letter C) while the left side (letter D) falls straight down. And what's going on with the left sleeve (letter B)? it's missing a piece. It starts out at the same height as right hand shoulder but then dips down till the end of the fabric while the right sleeve side does not? I always stop when something doesn't make send to me.  So...I'm off to make some tea for now!
Dusty

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Kaaren,

Those dolls sure do bring back memories. They are to be cherished FOREVER! They are just beautiful!
Dusty

oh...know what? I just discovered pictures can be viewed larger just by clicking on them and then clicking on them again to shrink them.  I was wondering if anyone could see these small pcitures. Great feature.

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
Looks like you did a GREAT job! Amazing what a difference a well-written set of instructions makes. One thing you might note for future dolls: it's usually easier to embroider the face before sewing the doll together. 

I still have the Raggedy Ann and Andy my mom made for me when I was in Kindergarten. They got new clothes last year for Christmas.

DSC02022 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Sorry Wendy! My last post was meant for you!! But bares repeating..."CHERISH" your dolls your Mama made for you! I'd give anything to still have mine.
Dusty

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
Re: Why is this shaped like this?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
It's difficult to tell from the partial pattern piece that I can see, but I think that D and C are the front and back of the dress and the part pointing towards us in the photo is the sleeve.  Turn the piece 90 and see if that makes more sense.
Can you take a photo of the entire pattern piece? That would be a help...

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Now I have another problem. Here is a drawing I made - a quick copy from Simplicity pattern 9447 for Raggedy Ann's dress. Ok, here I go again. I don't get why some parts of the upper part of this dress are to be sewn the way the pattern shows it. First there is a "pleat" on the right sleeve side but not on the left sleeve side? That certainly doesn't compute for me. The pattern doesn't show a pleat there! You would think what you do on one side, you would do on the other, no? Also, the neck line: the right side of it is cut weird (see letter C) while the left side (letter D) falls straight down. And what's going on with the left sleeve (letter B)? it's missing a piece. It starts out at the same height as right hand shoulder but then dips down till the end of the fabric while the right sleeve side does not? I always stop when something doesn't make send to me.  So...I'm off to make some tea for now!
Dusty
I've answered this post elsewhere Dusty.
I think it would be better if you keep all of the discussion here, it will make it easier for us all.

Online kaaren

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
I think Ann is right.  Over the years the clothing patterns have changed more than the doll pattern.  The first ones I made for the first born of good friends more than 40 years ago, had a dress with a separate gathered skirt and separate sleeves with elastic about one inch from the lower sleeve hems.  Later when I made sets for DH's nieces and even nephews, the doll dress was all one piece.  Ann had little snaps sewn down the back with cotton rick rack around the neck and I even used matching bias tape to hold down the rick rack.

I think when you are making keepsakes for in law's you really aim for perfection!  I was always known as the person who could sew anything!  That is because nobody could even shorten a hem! 

Dusty, you might want to find an older dress pattern for Ann.  However, the pinafore will give her a waist.  Keep us posted.  Kaaren

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
Here is the whole picture; it's Raggedy Ann's dress.

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
Sure thing Ann...no problem. I didn't see the "beginner" section as I hiit on the doll section way before it else I probably would've started there. But here is fine too.

I also posted this picture at the other place but in the future I'll just do all the postings here if it's easier that way.
Here is the full drawing of Raggedy Ann's dress. The shape of it is exactly as it is in the pattern and apparently that is the way it is supposed to be cut out. And yes, there is a front and a back. So do I just pleat the front and do the that drop down thing shown under "B" for the left side??

Offline misschris

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
Is the right sewn differently to allow for an opening to go over the dolls head?
Melbourne, Australia

Offline sewvt

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
I agree with Ann's post that your dress pattern probably has 2 pleats down the front of the dress, and that rectangle on the other side is meant to be folded in to make an opening at the neck in the back.  In that case, the real sleeve is the triangular part at the bottom of your picture.  If you cut 2 of these pieces, you would sew them (right sides together) along the part with the notch ("B" in your drawing) until you get to the area that sticks out.  Stop there.  Don't sew the "stuck out" part because you will fold it to the inside of the dress when you press the seam open.  This area will probably have a fastener at the top, so the neck opening is larger for putting it on, then it is buttoned or closed with a snap or velcro or whatever.

The front will be sewn all the way along the front edge from neck to hem, right sides together.  One pleat will fall on either side of this seam when they are folded along the pleat lines and stitched down.  Then each sleeve will probably have elastic attached at the wrist and the side seams sewn up, again, right sides together.

Does that seem as though it fits with the instructions in your pattern?  I've left out sleeve hems and skirt hem and neck finishing.  I've made a Raggedy Ann and other dolls, and there is a bit of work involved.  Doing the face first is crucial.  It's very hard to do any embroidery on a stuffed figure and manage to keep it all lined up properly.

I hope I haven't confused this even more. :-\  It's just how this looks to me in the photo.  You did a very nice job on the doll body!  Keep trying things out by basting them together either by hand or machine.  You can always take the basting out if it isn't right.

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Sewt,
I don't even know enough to be confused just yet.  But if what I DO understand is true, that being what Ann said about the picture showing both the front and back of the dress, then I sure wish they would have just shown 2 separate diagrams rather them mish mash them into the one picture. Now THAT was/is confusing! I am trying to get what you're saying but you know how a piece of wood slowly sinks in mud, well...need I say more?
Let me take a stab at it anyway:

The front piece of the dress will have that pleat (the one shown in my drawing) on BOTH sides of the front of the dress, right? Is that what you are saying? And as for the back piece, I am to just replicate that "rectangle" on both sides of the back piece, right? Of course I have no clue what you are referring to when you say the "the real sleeve is the bottom part of the picture."  ???
PS I would draw the 2 separate pcs of the dress if I knew what I was talking about  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:30:14 AM by DustyLane »

Offline WendyW

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »

The front piece of the dress will have that pleat (the one shown in my drawing) on BOTH sides of the front of the dress, right? Is that what you are saying? And as for the back piece, I am to just replicate that "rectangle" on both sides of the back piece, right?
That is correct.

Of course I have no clue what you are referring to when you say the "the real sleeve is the bottom part of the picture."  ???
PS I would draw the 2 separate pcs of the dress if I knew what I was talking about  ;D

In your drawing, if the whole pattern is a "T", the portion that looks like the stem of the "T" is the sleeve. You were thinking that the bottom was the skirt and the two sides were the sleeves. Actually the left side is the back, and the right side of your drawing is the front. 

I believe this is intended to be cut with the center front on a fold of fabric, so that the entire dress will be one piece when it is cut out.
Homeschool Mom and lifetime lover of sewing and crafts.

Offline DustyLane

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »
You know, I just came on just now because I am so excited that I figured out what Sewvt meant when she said the bottom was the sleeves, and here you are backing it up. Yup! That's it!!

I cut the fabric on the fold as called for by the pattern. After about ten minutes of staring at it trying to make sense of it all...for some strange reason I decided to flip the already cut out fabric on it's right side, then I began to fold it sideways which lo and behold presented to me a much better looking dress. That's when the "duh" moment hit me. THAT is the way it is supposed to be!! Now everything began to made sense. But I have to say the pattern diagram really threw me off.

I only had one problem after that; I decided the next thing to do was the "pleat" thing. So I basted it in, looked really nice, too.  I don't like the pins; I'd rather baste. Here's the problem: there is NO marking for a pleat on the opposite side...I mean there just can't be one pleat on the left side and not on the right. The pleats btw are on the BACK of the dress  or is that front? Oh well I'll find out soon enough. Anyway, the pleat is shown only on one side of the dress which looks unbalanced and tells me the dress needs a second pleat. There is no written instructions on this at all in the pattern. So since there was no marking for it, I just eyeballed it in and basted it up like that. Now there are these absolutely two adorable little pleats on the dress and it really makes the dress look like a little girl's totally too cute dress.

Oh happy dance...happy dance....happy dance...I'm doing my happy dance...LOL!

Ok dance over, down to earth time. One quick question here. I can't find anything on it in books. When the pattern saids "cut on fold"...I understand that to mean to double the fabric, generally with the right sides facing and placing the pattern ON the fold. This pattern asks you to do that too with the dress, but when I do I see that the sleeves start to slope a little ways away from the fold line. Is that fold line part of the dress or can I remove parts of the fold line that falls or drifts away from the drawn line of the actual pattern? Did I say that right? So far I haven't cut it...yet.

I'm still hanging in here!  :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:31:56 AM by DustyLane »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics