• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 02, 2020, 08:55:03 am

News:

Much of the forum is now hidden unless you are registered, subscribed and logged in. 

Towanda's On The Job Wardrobe

Started by Towanda, November 11, 2019, 09:28:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Towanda

November 11, 2019, 09:28:57 pm Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:32:38 pm by Towanda
I've been inspired by the people participating and the plans under development so I'm throwing my hat in the ring. This month I developed a sudden urge to add more black to my wardrobe including replacing my black pants. Black is one of my favorite colors. I'm one of those folks that can comfortably wear all black. I have had a couple of pictures of capsule wardrobes on my bulletin board for a while. I pulled them off the board and sat them where I can see them everyday. The color scheme is black, red and white. This would work well because everything would integrate with clothes already in the wardrobe and help with orphan garments.

The first capsule includes six garments:
White draped neck shell
Black wrap top
Red sleeveless shell
Black boot cut pants - will probably make a pair of slim legged pants instead
Red pencil skirt
White cardigan

The second capsule includes:
Black blazer - my new technique would be making a tailored lined jacket
Black pants
White pants
White button front shirt
Red button front shirt
Black pea coat - I would substitute a black raincoat
Black pencil skirt
Black and white print blouse

I plan to use a few TNT patterns. I have to work on a few patterns for garments such as the wrap top, raincoat and blazer. I want to make a black ponte knit pencil skirt using the Taylor knit skirt pattern from Style Arc. I made one in navy blue and love the way it turned out.

I need to whittle down the list with a goal of keeping everything simple. I might start a 6Pac early in December for the garments that will not be included in the swap.

Towanda

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hPKpyg]capsule by Life is sew sew good, on Flickr[/url]

These pictures are the source of my inspiration. I'm still undecided about how the final collection will turn out. I'm not copying all of the garments just using the picture for a general idea. I can't wear double-breasted garments so the pea coat will end up as a raincoat. I have a fabric similar to the giraffe print that will end up as a sleeveless dress because it has a border print. I want to make a black jacket, pants and skirt out of the same fabric.

Before I can start sewing, I need to finish the sewing room re-do. In my current sewing room, the cutting table is against the wall. I miss walking around the table. This house has lousy closets so we took a bedroom and turned it into a closet & stash storage space. Now, I'm moving the cutting table into the closet room and the fabric into the sewing room. We are putting down a new floor in the sewing room at the same time.

Once I started moving fabric, I realized that I had a lot of black fabric. Of course, I realized this after I ordered more black fabric. I've banned myself from buying any more solid black fabric. DS is teasing me that I could open a fabric store. After seeing the fabric in the temporary storage area, I kind of agree, lol. I love having a stash especially when I want to start a new project at night. I think that everything that I need for the collection will come from the stash.

I did get one thing accomplished today, I re-covered my dress form. The immediate goal is to finish the re-do before the end of next week. When I start putting fabric away, I'll set aside the potential swap fabrics. 

Towanda

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i3WwdX]fabric wall by Life is sew sew good, on Flickr[/url]

I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. When I started the project to re-do my sewing room, I didn't think about the ripple effect of what I thought was a simple project. In order to move the cutting table, I ended up having to move my jewelry storage to my bedroom. The snowball effect started. Every time, I thought a project was done, I found something else that needed attention. At times, it felt overwhelming and I was sorry that I started. At the end I'm glad that I made the changes.

The cutting table was moved to the closet room. I can walk around both sides and it makes cutting out much easier. The cutting area works so much better and I'm very happy with the new setup. I finished setting up the shelves in the sewing room and reloaded them with fabric last night. This is the first time, I've had fabric storage in this room. It actually works better because I have more room to move around. I didn't realized how much room the cutting table used up.

I got tired of looking at fabric once I started putting it on the new shelves. But at the same time, I found pieces that I forgot I owned. I went over the lining fabric that I had just tossed into bins. I found some silk mixed in that got put in the right location. All of the lining fabric was folded and part of it was stored in a plastic shelving unit. I did find 4 pieces of fabric to give away.

Projects for the cold months:
Fold the 10 pieces of remaining fabric on to cardboard bolts (complete by end of weekend)
Buy more shelving units to store the remaining lining fabric and some patterns (complete by end of year)
Sort out and re-organize patterns. Give away ones that I'm not going to use
Sort out the bins of fabric in the basement. Clean out second closet and move fabric bins to upstairs closet
Limit new fabric purchases, lol
Sew more. I'm going to finish a dress that I started last week.