• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2020, 07:45:11 am

News:

Much of the forum is now hidden unless you are registered, subscribed and logged in. 

Ginger's "She looks so put together" SWAP

Started by Ginger-sews, November 05, 2019, 04:17:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger-sews

My theme? "She looks so put together"

That's what my man says when he sees a girl/lady/woman that looks really... um... well... put together! lol  He says it when he sees someone who's dressed nicely - usually boots or nice heels (he's got a foot thing), jeans, jacket, scarf, nice accessories, hat, jewelry -- you know -- just has a "look" going on. Maybe "intentional" dressing? Or just really caring about what she looks like and being thoughtful about her look.  Here's a pinterest board I put together Ginger's inspiration board

Anywho... I want to be that girl... not that I'm intimidated or jealous... just that I like that look myself and realize I dress fairly dumpy sometimes.

So, I'm thinking of denim, chambray, plaid, flannel -- and get this color scheme - Blue and Carhartt brown (Carhartt brown). Not the black color - the brown. The Carhartt thing is kind of a wink to the fact that he's a carpenter and that's the kind of jacket he wears for work in the winter.

My plan so far:
    Bottoms:
    • Denim patchwork skirt
    • Plaid asymmetric wrap skirt (self-drafted)
    • Denim jeggings
    • Denim jumper dress (York Pinafore from Helen's Closet)
    Tops
    • Carhartt brown henley tunic
    • Medium dark chambray button up
    • Carhartt brown sweatshirt style - maybe in velvet panne or some other lux fabric
    • Plaid woven T or simple button up style in same plaid as skirt
    • Knitted chunky sweater in Carhartt brown

For the two 'match everything' pieces - I have a nice corduroy chore jacket in the aforementioned Carhartt brown color (just by chance a recent new purchase) and plan to make a light tan or off-white sort of puffy vest type thing - maybe Grainline Studio Tamarack Jacket without sleeves. Both of these would go over any of the other pieces.

The key to making it all look "put together" will be the accessories... just bought a new pair of camel/Carhartt colored boots (they weren't called that - just happen to be that). I also have some Timberland shooties in that color. Need some nice belts to wear over the shirts untucked, maybe a nice new warm golden tan (Carhartt brown) leather purse. Scarves to bundle up in.  Chunky bracelets -- on and on. Maybe knit a nice golden brown slouchy hat.

My challenge piece will be drafting the asymmetrical plaid skirt - I've got a draped front finish I want to do. And, it's plaid. Enough said, lol.  I'm also thinking at the end I might sew up a jean jacket using aforementioned man's beat up bluejeans. I've made tote bags, pieced picnic blankets and even a bucket hat using them. Putting them together in a jean jacket would be the challenge with all the topstitching, bulk and hardware.

I have a lot of the fabric in stock - the denim patchwork fabric in blue/brown pieced stripes; the plaid flannel in brown/navy plaid, a nice heavy dark denim to give the pinafore some structure.  I'll need to pick up something for jeggings, the chambray and then some luxury type sweatshirt material and a sueded shirt-weight fabric for 2 tops. And, yes, both of those need to be in the Carhartt color. And chunky yarn in that color, too.

So... lots of plans - headed to my local sewing guild meeting tonight and might have to do a little shopping around the store where it's held.

This is gonna be fun!
Ginger

sewist, artist, quilter, musician, computer programmer, girlfriend, Grandfriend to one sweet baby, mom, gym rat

Ginger-sews

Here are 2 pieces of fabric that are kind of the inspiration for the colors -- denim patchwork with all the right colors and the plaid flannel.

The patchwork was purchased this way (Joann) and I'm planning to use the stripes horizontally in a straight skirt - with the front and back divided into thirds - either 1/3 stripe and 2/3 plain denim or 1/3 plain and 2/3 stripe. For the solid denim piece, I'm going through my stash of blue jeans that I use for upcycling. I have a gianormus pair I got at Goodwill that I think will be big enough to piece in with the other for a skirt. Used my TNT skirt pattern this morning and drafted the front out as a full piece (not 1/2 on the fold) so that I can figure out exactly where I'm going to add a seam to color block. I think for the back piece, I'm going to draft that as one piece as well, then split it into the color blocks and put the zipper on the side instead of center back. Will have to think about where to put a walking slit - maybe at one of the color block seams. I'm planning to make this up in some other fabric before cutting into the denim for the official swap piece. hmmm... just thought... Maybe I should insert a metal separating zipper in the color block seam to use as a closure.... hmmmm...

With the flannel, I plan to make a shirt (probably button up) and a skirt. The skirt is going to use the same base pattern as above except I'm going to make it a faux wrap and have the front wrap piece draped up into some uneven folds probably held in place with buttons. I tried to find a picture online that sort of matched the picture in my head but couldn't. I did find a LOT of wrap skirts with price tags > $500... so...

And, I found chunky yarn and have started knitting a chunky sweater in mustard and denim blue stripes. That's going to be my piece made after the rules were announced but before sewing can start. It will take me that long to knit a sweater anyway! :)

Also bought some golden colored stretch panne and a really pretty piece of navy rayon challis that may turn into something in this collection. Or, just a pretty dress or top.

Trying to use what's in my stash and shopping, too... typical! :)
Ginger

sewist, artist, quilter, musician, computer programmer, girlfriend, Grandfriend to one sweet baby, mom, gym rat

Ginger-sews

Here are my pre-swap Thanksgiving sews.  The tops are 3/4 sleeve tunic length tees. Made all on the serger with coverstitch neckline and hems. The skirt is a simple pullon I've made before - all serger, too.

The pictures aren't the greatest (not great light to sew under either) - the colors are brighter and not so yellow. But, you get the idea. :)

I have some nice golden colored stretch panne to make a nice dressier tee for the swap using this top pattern.

Making progress!
Ginger
Ginger

Ginger-sews

Ginger

Ginger-sews

December 24, 2019, 03:00:47 pm #4 Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:17:03 pm by Ginger-sews
So excited to get to start sewing. I cut and started one of my pieces after the rules were announced but got distracted by 4 pairs of pajama pants for my adult sons and their girlfriends... so... sew

As a presewing task, I made a stretch panne top with the pullover pattern I plan to use. It's the same as all the other tees I posted and it's in panne that I haven't sewn much with so it was a good practice. We had an ugly sweater contest but I didn't want to make that, so I made a red top and wore ugly leggings!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158031806223680&set=a.86143693679&type=3&theater#

Merry Christmas!
Ginger

Ginger-sews

So excited to get to start sewing. I cut and started one of my pieces after the rules were announced but got distracted by 4 pairs of pajama pants for my adult sons and their girlfriends... so... sew

As a presewing task, I made a stretch panne top with the pullover pattern I plan to use. It's the same as all the other tees I posted and it's in panne that I haven't sewn much with so it was a good practice. We had an ugly sweater contest but I didn't want to make that, so I made a red top and wore ugly leggings!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158031806223680&set=a.86143693679&type=3&theater#
Ginger