• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 11, 2019, 02:49:20 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Stephanie's wool, silk and kitchen sink sew along (comments in main thread pls)

Started by stephaniecan, November 02, 2019, 05:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniecan

November 02, 2019, 05:29:34 pm Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:57:27 am by stephaniecan Reason: grammar!
My plan had been to not put together a SWAP collection for competition this year, but indigotiger has made rules that are so accommodating...one never knows. (And thank you to mudcat for her wonderful rules and moderating last year.) Although I don't necessarily plan to finish this year, I thought I'd put up a sew along board anyhow, hoping that magic will occur and I will sew through my stash this year, which is my eternal fantasy!

(I almost had a mind to call this "I have not been binge watching Outlander SWAP", because I had been thinking of combining the fabrics below in a wardrobe, and then I started actually binge watching Outlander (I normally never watch TV) and I thought, "these combinations are vaguely reminiscent of the costuming of that show - all layers and wools and plaids and so on." My ancestors came over to Canada from Scotland and England largely in the 18th and 19th centuries and so something clearly stuck! I love all things wool - the woolier the better. My stash is largely moody wools and I suspect I am somewhat afraid to cut into them for fear of diminishing their beauty.

There's nothing that can actually explain the yellow and the insect fabrics, or how I fathom that they could be a part of the same wardrobe, but I'll figure out a rationalization. The garments are roughly these, combined with some rustic knits:

This is going to be fun. I enjoy sewing along with others and seeing what they get up to. My goals this year are to improve my fitting, undertake a bit of self-drafting (am planning to take a course in the spring as well), and finally sew up that brown corduroy. Sewing with cord and dealing with nap is my new-to-me challenge. I hope there won't be a lot of screwing up as I really like that brown cord.

The plain shirt and upper left corner dress I've made before and so are more or less TNTs. The dress is an old vintage pattern I used for SWAP in 2016. I'm planning to use the wool-silk "tree" fabric for that, as well as the plaid silk for a second version. The skirt is pretty straightforward. The bottom heavier-weight wool has a story behind it and I am hoping the piece will be big enough to make a slim coat. The jackets are new and the yellow dress pattern a vintage pattern I've had forever. No purchases will be made for this collection as I have everything I need, except perhaps some thread, buttons and zips. I'm hoping to play a bit and add some embellishment, maybe adding contrast fabric to the trim on the yellow dress.   

Have fun, everyone!

stephaniecan

I was lying in bed last night thinking about this "collection" and I realized that I plan to make the insect shirt and the yellow skirt right away, and also would be very happy to make the brown corduroy jacket for Christmas (for CCL's jacket sew along). Provided that the jacket could still be included in SWAP as the thing that goes with everything, the yellow skirt and the insect shirt would not fit in this collection as a "SWAP" collection. The yellow dress would still be there. Already breaking the rules!

Oh well. I have plenty of moody wool in the house to make substitutes?

Are one's ancestors coming over to carve farms out of forests and to wear lots of woolen things sufficient for a source of inspiration?

stephaniecan

I have been so inspired by this process that I feel a collection actually in the works. I am in the process of making the insect shirt and will make the yellow skirt later this week, I hope, so these are likely not going to end up as SWAP items. Instead, I am thinking that what I need is a couple of pairs of workhorse trousers - maybe a cigarette or stovepipe style in dark grey or dark brown. Coincidentally :), I saw a gorgeous herringbone tweed in brown over the weekend at my local fabric store (which I should be banned from entering...was very proud that I exited on Sat having only spent $17).