• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 18, 2019, 04:26:43 pm

News:

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access for an entire year. :)

Mahgret's Choose Joy Fiesta SWAP

Started by mahgret, November 02, 2019, 01:28:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mahgret

November 02, 2019, 01:28:09 pm Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:39:10 pm by mahgret
I typed a big huge message and lost it so I will post in pieces!

I am announcing my intention to participate in SWAP 2020.  I moved back to my home town in NJ this year after the death of my husband.  My mantra since my move has been choose joy.  I always try to find the good in situations and also to find the happiness in little things.

For example, when I moved I abandoned my old sad chipped grey dishes from the 80s, and bought Fiesta ware.  My brother calls them widow dishes.  I mostly have these 6 colors.

IMG_4311 by Maggie, on Flickr

I do admit I tend to get a little wave of happiness just eating my cereal out of a cheerful bowl.  I seem to be using pops of these colors throughout my new home.

SO that is my theme.  Choose joy, through pops of Fiesta colors.

mahgret

My daily uniform is black or denim pants and an informal style top.  My SWAP will include black ponte and black or blue denim pants, and then a large assortment of tops.  I'm hoping to perfect the button-down shirt, and I have a few Stylearc patterns to work with on that. 

Here is my fabric pull, which includes some fabrics with pops of Fiesta ware colors.

IMG_4320 by Maggie, on Flickr

I will probably only buy one or two new pieces in order to incorporate the green and yellow.  I need to work out how to do this as these are not my best colors. I found some prints where the green and yellow are prominent but the background color is one that is better on me.

mahgret

At the moment my plan for the challenge aspect is to finally work with my Bluprint classes by Suzy Furrer and make my bodice sloper and use it to create a pattern for a top.  I started watching the classes again yesterday.  I will work on this in earnest as soon as I finish my family's matching pj pants for Christmas.  I have traced off all the patterns, just need to cut and sew 3 more pairs.

mahgret

As a backup new technique I plan to make a vneck top with a binding instead of a facing, which I have been avoiding for many years.

LyndaC

You are off to a great start, Maghret! 
I am in awe of your attitude! 
You will find the binding much easier and more ready-to-wear looking than a facing.  Here is how I do mine:

Measure the complete length of the neck opening.

Cut a piece of binding 1 ½ inch shorter than the neck opening.
Sew the raw ends together, right sides together, creating a circle.
Press the seam open, then press the seam folded flat.

Divide and mark your neckline opening into 4 sections.
Divide and mark your binding strip into 4 sections.

(The binding strip should be shorter than the neckline to allow it to stretch and lie flat against the body.  This is why you cut it on the bias unless it is a stretch fabric.)

Match the neckline marks with your binding marks. 
Put the seam on the left shoulder or center back - your choice.

Stitch the binding, matching your quarter marks on the garment to the quarter marks on the binding.
(As you become more confident, you will skip this step.)

(Some put the binding seam at center back, some put the seam on the left shoulder.  The garment does not care.)

This is fun and quick and always looks great!