• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 11, 2019, 02:49:22 pm

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Treefrog's Diamond Firetail SWAP

Started by treefrog, October 30, 2019, 10:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

treefrog

October 30, 2019, 10:07:41 pm Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:16:29 pm by treefrog
This year's SWAP is inspired by the colours of the Diamond Firetail.  They are a gorgeous little finch, endangered in my area, but I'm lucky enough to have a pair breeding at our place the last few years.  Even managed to see the chicks take their first awkward flying lesson last year.  Most of the year they are normally hard to see, but during the summer they are closer to the house, bathing in the small pond outside my office window or feeding on seeds in the grass.  Always a joy to see them.

The plan so far, is to use mainly linen fabrics, a couple of silks and cottons.

Shirtings (L to R): Floral linen/cotton, dot inlay cotton, print rayon, print silk 

Optional shirt: Jaquard cotton.  The print reminds me of feathers

Bottomweight :  black linen, chilli linen, taupe silk/cotton, sand silk faille, stretch linen denim

• 2 shirts and 2 tops from the shirtings. 
  • white knit shell
  • black silk cami with lace (my challenge piece)
  • 3 pants and 2 shorts (or the other way around) from these bottom-weights

The plan doesn't have one piece which goes with everything but ticks a lot of the boxes for a summer wardrobe.  The shell and cami will be able to be worn under the shirts in the cooler months, but won't work for the tops.  The styles I'm thinking about for one those, and possibly one of the shirts, may not be suitable for wearing under a jacket.

Toward the end of SWAP, I may rejig this to add in a layering item, and take advantage of a pre-made garment and RTW item to make it fit the rules, but for now I'm happy to sew along[/list]

treefrog

I did a quick doodle yesterday to try to figure out which styles to put with the fabrics. 

The linen and cotton shirts, I'm thinking of making long sleeves, even though it is for summer.  I find the extra sun protection is helpful, and I can always roll up the sleeves if it is too hot.  For the black silk, I'm thinking of going for a wrap style.  The orange/black print will be short sleeved, possible with a cap or flouncy type sleeve. 

The pants still need more thought.  I started with what styles I needed and then tried to assign a colour too them (colouring isn't very accurate).  It gives me an idea about the waist heights and lenghts, and how they will work with the tops.  I do like the style of the black shorts, but will need to do a test pair to see if the style likes me.  I see them being for around the house on those 40C+ days, which may be a bit of a waste to use that particilar fabric on them. The black linen is a really good quality and I had originally bought it to make a jacket and pants with.  So I may end up doing that.