• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 18, 2019, 04:26:55 pm

News:

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75ยข per week for all-you-can-eat access for an entire year. :)

Indigotiger's Misty Morning SWAP (comments in discussion thread please)

Started by indigotiger, October 30, 2019, 05:31:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

I seem to be currently craving grey in my wardrobe, so am going to focus my SWAP efforts in that direction, probably accented with the darker colors from my palette. I've been poking about on the resource shelves seeing what I have that can work. There's a bit of black/grey tiny gingham flannel which will make a nice shirt, a conversational print of brown and white ponies on pale blue that will make a playful blouse, some medium heavy grey linen for a new pinafore, and some grey wool herringbone earmarked for a gollar/capelet. I've ordered some heavier dark grey canvas to make a chore coat.
I will probably use this years new black/grey/blue stripey dress as my "sewn previous to SWAP" garment, and if my current experimental collaged cardigan I'm working on turns out wearable, that will also be included. There are a number of possiblities in the made before the rules section. For made after the rules, but before 26 December, I will probably make the gollar (I made one for my friend Maeva, when I made her a set of 16th century German clothing for a special event she was attending.) The gollar seems like an incredibly practical garment to wear around my chilly house this winter!

I don't have a specific image for inspiration, but rather have been using this Steeleye Span song (which I first heard them play live when they toured the USA back in the early 70's):
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

A bit more thinking about interpreting my theme: The most obvious choices are colors - mostly grey foggy misty colors, maybe with some dark blue for just before sunrise, and maybe some light blue as the sun could be peeping through the mist... . Since my original impetus for this theme was the desire for a grey pinafore, this will help fill out that section of my wardrobe. I've had several grey pinafores over the years, and they always wear out, as they are always a favorite.

possible motifs to be used: clouds first come to mind; perhaps a knit top embellished with a cloud collar design, or maybe block printed clouds as an edging... maybe floral/foliage motifs "a-sitting in the bower", maybe some horses for the "ride on Roan and Dobbin to celebrate the day"

overall feel: rustic rather than polished, country rather than city; some wool, maybe even some leather as trimming?

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Ginger-sews

Sounds interesting... can't wait to see how this evolves!
Ginger
Ginger

sewist, artist, quilter, musician, computer programmer, girlfriend, Grandfriend to one sweet baby, mom, gym rat

indigotiger

SWAP plans are solidifying for what garments will work together well and I'm getting a clearer idea of what I hope to make (always subject to change...) My two garments that will be wearable with each outfit will be a grey chore coat and a grey wool herringbone capelet.

I'm going to make a grey linen pinafore, and my other pinafore will be my "already made" black corduroy pinafore. My other "already made" garment will be my stripey black/grey/blue everyday dress.

I'll make two more dresses, one in a black/cream mini-stripe, and one in a black/white chambray. (Both will be overdyed, one in grey and one in brown). All three of the dresses can be worn with either of the pinafores.

In addition, a shirt from grey/black gingham flannel, a scrappy/collaged grey knit top with cloud collar embellishment, and a light blue print with horses in cream/brown will get turned into a blouse. All the tops can be worn with either of the pinafores. The last of the eleven is waiting on further inspiration/clarity... could be grey knit top (not sure about that one, as my drawer for knit tops is getting pretty full!), or grey leggings, or a grey Polartech pullover, or even a pair of grey denim overalls if I feel adventurous in both senses of the word. (I've not made overalls in at least ten years, and my prior pair is long worn out...)

indigotiger

Now that my scrappy collage cardigan has been completed, I've been working on the long sleeve knit top to go with it. The cardigan won't be part of SWAP, but the knit top will coordinate with all my other planned sewing. The "cloud collar" embellishment is being done in the Alabama Chanin hand stitched reverse applique technique.
It took a bit of time cogitating on the best way to end up with an easy to see stitchable motif from the scrap of black interlock... I finally realised that a sort of "reverse stencil" that reserved the black lines, but painted the background would work. Freezer paper stenciling gives a very crisp result, and by folding the freezer paper in half before cutting out the design, a perfectly symmetrical stencil is created.

The cut freezer paper is ironed to the fabric, and the background is painted with some pewter fabric paint, (which will mostly all be cut away in the end, though perhaps just a bit of the sparkle will show along the cut edges)

The painted interlock is basted to a scrap of the lighter black/cream marled hemp knit fabric, and then lots of overcast stitching along the motif lines is the next step. This phase took about five hours of spare time on transit and waiting for appointments. In the photo, the right half shows the painted layer cut away where the stitching is completed, and the left side is still to be completed.

This shows most of the completed effect, as I added some striped knit strips as outlining the cloud motif, and then stitched the collar to the body. This has four different fabric scraps, the completed knit top will have six, as there is also the floral front/back fabric, and the additional stripey ribbing that will bind the neckline and cuff edges