• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
May 29, 2020, 04:44:48 pm

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2020 general discussion thread

Started by Lisanne, October 30, 2019, 05:35:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sew Ruthie Sews

Oh dear I find myself suffering from a complete lack of motivation for SWAP.
I think I need to recap what I've sewn already and see what the gaps are.

How is everyone else doing?
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

indigotiger

Ruthie, you are not alone in "struggling with SWAP" right now. I am as well...

I had a carefully thought out and planned idea about what I was going to make, but somehow the things I wanted to wear for wintertime into early spring have both morphed in color to a springtime teal, don't quite gel into a coherent SWAP any more, and also seem less "necessary" since I am basically not leaving my house. I have not even started on my grey canvas chore coat, and that is the "coordinating" piece that "can be worn with everything" and also the new to me pattern which will require the most focused attention to get it to fit acceptably.

There are six more weeks for SWAP sewing. Surely I could manage to sew another three garments in that time, even if one is a pattern I have never made before? Although I am a bit tempted to dig out my former TNT denim jean jacket pattern instead, since I *might* have lost enough weight that it would fit me again?
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

IndigoTiger, you may have solved my dilemma by reminding me that only one item has to be able to be worn with everything, and I already made a quilted coat. It is quite roomy, so as long as things will fit under it and make outfits with one another, I may be good!
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

warpjr1965

Ruthie and Indigotiger, I am in the same boat. I was very productive this weekend, and have spiraled down into a slump again.  I have a blue top on the sewing table that I really could get done quickly, but my more interesting pieces have not even been cut yet. 6 weeks sounds like a long time, but I know it will go fast, and my go-with-everything piece is not done!  I may have to do a reworking.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Wendy, indigotiger, Ruthie...I've wobbled, too. I may need to go back to my original plan in order to get something done. In that case at least my "go with everything" item would be almost done (coat). We'll see how I get on this weekend. Good luck everyone! !:)

Melinda_B

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on May 13, 2020, 04:04:33 amIndigoTiger, you may have solved my dilemma by reminding me that only one item has to be able to be worn with everything,

I thought that two items had to go with everything else, except for each other?  IE: two skirts, or a skirt and pants for example, and they had to go with all of the other nine items?
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

warpjr1965

Mel, I am sure our trusty leader will chime in, but I believe we are basically sewing 2 groups of items: 9-10 separates that may, but do not have to coordinate, 1-2 items that MUST coordinate with everything else. I actually read that as implying they must also coordinate with each other, but Indigotiger please correct if I am wrong!

I got myself off my sorry duff the other day and sewed up the entirety of that blue shirt. It is really an overshirt, and I am in love with it. My family hates it but too bad!! I am actually going to wear it to work with 2 other SWAP items, and I will (finally) snap a picture and post it here.

This weekend I need to finish up the remaining already sewn items before I will allow myself to move on, There are 4: turtleneck sweater, dress, 2 shirts. If I get far enough along I may pause and start working on fitting and cutting one of the other dresses, but we'll see.
Wendy

stephaniecan

As I had understood it, we can have one item that goes with everything else, or if we choose two items that have to co-ordinate with everything else in the collection, these two don't have to go with each other (e.g. it could be two jackets that can't be layered), but the two jackets would have to individually go with each of the other nine items in the collection (which don't necessarily all have to go together individually, e.g. there could be several dresses that of course would not be worn together).

Maybe I'm off the mark though! I'm currently trying to decide if I keep my coat as my go with everything item or if I sew a new jacket to do that (or use the sweater I am knitting). I want to put some summery clothes in the sewing pile but I am not sure how credible my coat will be as a go with shorts item. :) Maybe I will be forgive for this combination in that the current collection is a season-spanning one and also since I never need to leave the house anymore in fact I *could* wear shorts with a coat overtop in my liivng room. :)

@warpjr1965 Your overshirt has me fired up to get going, too! Good for yoU!

Sew Ruthie Sews

@stephaniecan I'm sure you are spot on.
So either 1 or 2 things have to go with everything else.

I oscillate between wanting to wear my SWAP pieces and wanting to save them for the photos.
I have been wearing some of them from which I have learned
- I love the black bengaline trousers
- The animal print viscose (rayon) blouse was lovely but has shrunk a lot after 2 washes. I can still wear it but its not as comfortable. If it shrinks anymore I don't think it will be wearable.
- The red cardigan is too bright a red for me and although I wear it I don't love it.
- The black cardigan is great and washes and dries well.
- The tartan trousers are a lot of look and not that versatile, because tartan.

So I think another red cardigan is on the agenda (I do have more fabric!)
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

indigotiger

warpjr1965 -
QuoteMel, I am sure our trusty leader will chime in, but I believe we are basically sewing 2 groups of items: 9-10 separates that may, but do not have to coordinate, 1-2 items that MUST coordinate with everything else. I actually read that as implying they must also coordinate with each other, but Indigotiger please correct if I am wrong!
"1-2 items that MUST coordinate with everything else. I actually read that as implying they must also coordinate with each other"... ummm they need not coordinate with each other, as long as they each are wearable with and coordinate with the rest of the wardrobe you create.

MelindaB -
QuoteI thought that two items had to go with everything else, except for each other?  IE: two skirts, or a skirt and pants for example, and they had to go with all of the other nine items?
If you choose two "go with everything" items then yes, they must be wearable with all the rest of the wardrobe ie nine items... but if you choose to have only one "go with everything item", then you need to have one more coordinate ie ten items. It just depends on what works best for each persons clothing style...

stephaniecan -
QuoteAs I had understood it, we can have one item that goes with everything else, or if we choose two items that have to co-ordinate with everything else in the collection, these two don't have to go with each other (e.g. it could be two jackets that can't be layered), but the two jackets would have to individually go with each of the other nine items in the collection (which don't necessarily all have to go together individually, e.g. there could be several dresses that of course would not be worn together).
You have this exactly correct, as I had intended it to function.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Melinda_B

Sorry for causing confusion, I reread the rules and I was wrong....  Not that it makes any difference to my own SWAP, thankfully.  I do need to get a move on to get the rest of my garments finished.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Morzel

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on May 12, 2020, 08:17:45 amOh dear I find myself suffering from a complete lack of motivation for SWAP.

That is exactly the state of affairs here - I don't need a set of 'smart clothes' in times like these...

The first day that little shops were allowed to open up here, I brought in my machines for servicing. They haven't been checked for years, as the shop needs up to 5 weeks - I figured, I can't live without the machines for that period of time! But with the shops closed, the mechanic still working his way through the 'pile', I figured the service time could have reduced. So I am stuck without my overlocker and using my previous Brother machine. It works well, as long as I don't intend any buttonholes. No buttonholes, no overlocker - I started piecing a quilt. My mother really is the family's quilter, but she just recently stopped sewing due to medical issues. I really need a new quilt for summer, so I started a scrappy quilt made from leftovers from mask making and other little fabric pieces. And to practise machine quilting, I pieces another simple lap quilt from stash fabric, which is now my trial quilting run. So - no SWAP sewing here. Will not happen.
Eva

warpjr1965

adding some photos of completed items:

Pink pants are from last year's SWAP. White hoodie, white T, blue shirt no 1, and black Elle pants.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Nicely done, Wendy! The white hoodie looks great with the pink pants, and I like the bright blue with the white and black.

Susan in Saint John

I had a successful sewing day yesterday.  The 2nd muslin of my In House patterns Kayla Shirt has sleeves that work and a banded collar that also works.  I am ready to move on to a real garment.  I am not using one of my SWAP fabrics just yet.

Lisanne

Susan in St John - I am very interested by your mention of the Alexandra Morgan fitting class
https://www.inhousepatternsstudio.com/designed-to-fit-the-bodice-block
I have a successful bodice from Brooks Ann Camper's Top Class, but I do need to add some sleeves for it to be useful - and I have unusual armholes.
Does the Alexandra Morgan class deal with that, or assume armholes are a standard shape ?
Thanks.
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - opinions on style, wardrobes, patterns
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - useful style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - links to good technique advice
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - listing of Peggy Sagers' sew-alongs
https://usingmybernina500e.wordpress.com - instructions for using my embroidery machine

stephaniecan

@indigotiger The blouse is gorgeous! (not twee at all)! Lovely to see. I have floral blouses but none with any added emphasis.

dementedfairy

Hello all!  I'll be working my way slowly through everyone's progress, but I've done nothing myself for SWAP for so long I can't remember!  I can't even get myself motivated to take proper pics of the finished items which I was wearing regularly up til school closure started.  I'm flopping around, usually in pyjamas, and communicating with kids online.  Typing maths is a PAIN.
I've kept going with my scrubs sewing though, and just finished another batch for delivery to a healthcare centre, bringing my total up to 74.  Not bad!  I've got about 100m of fabric still to use too, but it's half term now, I'm bored with scrubs, so I want to clear the last bits of my SWAP which may get my mojo going again.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Sew Ruthie Sews

@indigotiger, beautiful blouse
@Susan in Saint John, sounds like you've upped your knowledge of techniques and fitting even if it doesn't result in a finished SWAP.
@boppingbeth ingbeth, I hear you on the sewing comfort clothing.
@warpjr1965 Wendy sounds like great progress being made.
@stephaniecan, I too love the things I've made myself

I haven't been sewing clothing.
I made bunting for VE day, some blinds for the conservatory, a few cloth masks.
I could do with longer shorts/culottes for the summer and some very lightweight cotton PJs.
None of this is very SWAP.
However we have until end of June, so still 5 weeks to get things finalised.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

@Sew Ruthie Sews: That is exactly my feeling. I haven't been sewing in a logical way for SWAP, but there are still five weeks left so who knows! :)

warpjr1965

5 weeks!
I spent the weekend in the garden, much needed. We have monday off here in the US, so maybe i'll get a few things completed. I would really like to finish the Farrow dress before the end of SWAP, but i'm really feeling unmotivated to cut and fit.
Wendy

stephaniecan

I hope you do make the Farrow dress, Wendy. It's lovely!

I had a revelation that my new denim skirt is not that lightweight, so I could certainly wear it in the fall with a sweater and tights and boots, so why not match with my coat! I don't think I'll have time to make another tailored jacket, so I am going to go with that approach and focus on making some more blouses and trousers that are multi-seasonal. It will be a bit of a hybrid SWAP, but weather in Canada is fickle anyhow so I will forgive myself for that. An American friend always says that a summer sweater is a "very Canadian concept" and really there is some truth to that. One never knows what will happen.