• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 07, 2019, 11:36:57 am

News:

Remember:  Finalizing a subscription is a manual process, so be patient; your account will be updated ASAP.

SWAP 2020 - Official Rules

Started by indigotiger, October 29, 2019, 10:35:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan in Saint John

Thank you indigotiger, this is a great set of rules with a lot of flexibility.  Perhaps I'll actually participate this time. 

I've been sewing for decades and there's not much that I haven't tried in the way of techniques and fabrics.  I am wondering if getting better or perfecting a technique might be acceptable as a challenge rather than something new.  For example, I have made bound buttonholes in the past but not often and not recently.  That might be something that I'd like to do better.  Another example would be a perfect narrow bias facing that was even in width and shaped exactly as it should be.  These are techniques [and there are others] which elevate the quality of a garment and take practice.  Would you consider this sort of challenge?

Helen M

Indigo I'm still deciding whether to sew along with the possibility of entering 'for real', but wondering if I do the 1 pant, 1 skirt + 9 tops option can one of the 2 items be, for now at least, the one RTW item? 
Sewing in Cheshire

Turquoise

I'm hoping so @Helen M as that way I can concentrate on making tops and jackets, which is what I really need to fill gaps in my current wardrobe, and use a RTW pair of jeans as the item that just go with everything.

indigotiger

Helen asked:
Quotewondering if I do the 1 pant, 1 skirt + 9 tops option can one of the 2 items be, for now at least, the one RTW item?
and Turquoise asked:
QuoteI'm hoping...[to] use a RTW pair of jeans as the item that just go with everything.
Yes, the one, or one of two "goes with everything" item may also be your one chosen RTW item...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

QuoteI've been sewing for decades and there's not much that I haven't tried in the way of techniques and fabrics.  I am wondering if getting better or perfecting a technique might be acceptable as a challenge rather than something new.  For example, I have made bound buttonholes in the past but not often and not recently.  That might be something that I'd like to do better.  Another example would be a perfect narrow bias facing that was even in width and shaped exactly as it should be.  These are techniques [and there are others] which elevate the quality of a garment and take practice.  Would you consider this sort of challenge?
Yes, that would definitely be in the spirit of the "new to you" challenge, and I am going to think of how best to phrase the rules to make that more clear. Just as IMHO someone shouldn't have to sew garments of a type they don't wear to meet SWAP critera, I also think that people shouldn't have to use a new technique that isn't appropriate to their personal style. I do think that more experienced folks may find it hard to find something entirely new that is also appealing. It would be a great and helpful idea if you also document your starting attempt, showing how you are dissatisfied with your results, and compare it to your final more successful results, since my purpose with the new-to-you challenge is specifically to grow our skills...

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

When writing my response to Susan in Saint John, I realised that I had forgotten to reply to Lisanne's comment last week
QuoteNot entirely meant as a joke - perhaps if people can give good evidence they have tried hard with a new technique but never got good enough results to use it for a garment - they should still be allowed to count it as their new technique
If that is the case, and goodness knows I have been there myself from time to time over the years, then I would agree that was a good faith attempt at a "new-to-you" technique, and acceptable. I would like to, as I mentioned in the prior post, see you document your intial attempt, showing why you were not happy with it, and some of the subsequent attempts... not to cause stress, but because by seeing and reading about what people try to do, and how it works or doesn't work, we all learn more...

Helen M

Thank you Indigo that will help. I may substitute a 'me made' garment depending on the time scale.
Sewing in Cheshire

kowgiirl.up

Quote from: indigotiger on October 29, 2019, 10:35:50 pmNo purchase necessary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.

Bravo for stepping up and putting this deal together. I can't imagine how much thought and time is spent coming up with all the little tidbits that goes into these SWAPS.  :applause2:
Theresa

Runs with scissors

luz clara

Oh my - here I was thinking that I wouldn't do SWAP this time around. And now, of course, I want to take a stab at it b/c it looks so much fun! And b/c YOU Indigo Tiger are the one roaring and swishing your tail as our leader! What to do? What to do???? 

Luz Clara

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: indigotiger on November 13, 2019, 01:33:44 pmquote]I've been sewing for decades and there's not much that I haven't tried in the way of techniques and fabrics.  I am wondering if getting better or perfecting a technique m in width and shaped exactly as it should be.  These are techniques [and there are others] which elevate the quality of a garment and take practice.  Would you consider this sort of challenge?
Yes, that would definitely be in the spirit of the "new to you" challenge, and I am going to think of how best to phrase the rules to make that more clear. Just as IMHO someone shouldn't have to sew garments of a type they don't wear to meet SWAP critera, I also think that people shouldn't have to use a new technique that isn't appropriate to their personal style. I do think that more experienced folks may find it hard to find something entirely new that is also appealing. It would be a great and helpful idea if you also document your starting attempt, showing how you are dissatisfied with your results, and compare it to your final more successful results, since my purpose with the new-to-you challenge is specifically to grow our skills...
[/quote]
Quote from: indigotiger on November 13, 2019, 01:47:45 pmWhen writing my response to Susan in Saint John, I realised that I had forgotten to reply to Lisanne's comment last week
QuoteNot entirely meant as a joke - perhaps if people can give good evidence they have tried hard with a new technique but never got good enough results to use it for a garment - they should still be allowed to count it as their new technique
If that is the case, and goodness knows I have been there myself from time to time over the years, then I would agree that was a good faith attempt at a "new-to-you" technique, and acceptable. I would like to, as I mentioned in the prior post, see you document your intial attempt, showing why you were not happy with it, and some of the subsequent attempts... not to cause stress, but because by seeing and reading about what people try to do, and how it works or doesn't work, we all learn more...

I don't know about other people but I've never kept my unsuccessful attempts. 

CCL

November 14, 2019, 07:25:58 am #45 Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:29:49 am by CCL
Quote from: Susan in Saint John on November 14, 2019, 05:35:24 amI don't know about other people but I've never kept my unsuccessful attempts.

LOL - I often do as it helps me dissect what I might not be doing correctly and, later on in my sewing journey, helps me see that I do progress and eventually get better if I just keep at it. 

I still have my first attempt at a double-welt practice pocket - because I am  definitely not feeling confident about the double-welt versions.  Though I am more bold about single welts these days.

Luz Clara

Quote from: luz clara on November 14, 2019, 03:49:03 amOh my - here I was thinking that I wouldn't do SWAP this time around. And now, of course, I want to take a stab at it b/c it looks so much fun! And b/c YOU Indigo Tiger are the one roaring and swishing your tail as our leader! What to do? What to do???? 

What to do?  Come sit by me on the "sew-along bench"!   I have been muddling over a plan because these are such great rules - I think I have come up with a plan - a slow sewing plan - that lets me sew up some of the many projects I have wanted to do and even have fabric for, but in no way will be done by the deadline.  2 dresses, 1 coat, and 8 jackets - that will take at least a year.

sewsy

Quote from: CCL on November 14, 2019, 07:25:58 am
Quote from: Susan in Saint John on November 14, 2019, 05:35:24 amI don't know about other people but I've never kept my unsuccessful attempts.

LOL - I often do as it helps me dissect what I might not be doing correctly and, later on in my sewing journey, helps me see that I do progress and eventually get better if I just keep at it. 

I still have my first attempt at a double-welt practice pocket - because I am  definitely not feeling confident about the double-welt versions.  Though I am more bold about single welts these days.

Luz Clara

Quote from: luz clara on November 14, 2019, 03:49:03 amOh my - here I was thinking that I wouldn't do SWAP this time around. And now, of course, I want to take a stab at it b/c it looks so much fun! And b/c YOU Indigo Tiger are the one roaring and swishing your tail as our leader! What to do? What to do???? 

What to do?  Come sit by me on the "sew-along bench"!   I have been muddling over a plan because these are such great rules - I think I have come up with a plan - a slow sewing plan - that lets me sew up some of the many projects I have wanted to do and even have fabric for, but in no way will be done by the deadline.  2 dresses, 1 coat, and 8 jackets - that will take at least a year.

I'm here on the "sew-along bench" too, Luz Clara! Please join us! I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to be doing as yet. Still ruminatin' about the "French Woman's Uniform" as described by a YouTuber. Those pieces being listed as 1. Black blazer 2. White tee 3. Jeans 4.Ballet Flats 5. Woven (market basket type) bag.

Not really sure I want a black blazer, so I'm trying to decide about the color. AND whether or not I want it to be woven or knit. Once I get that part figured out, I think that the remaining pieces should fall into place.

Melinda_B

If I make a toile (was meant to be the early garment) and use a new technique, when I make the garment that is officially in SWAP can I still claim the new technique?

I made a knit top intending it to be the "after rules before start" garment.  But it needs to have the pattern adjusted to make it work acceptable.  I used a new binding technique.  I'll wear this top, just not to work.  When I remake this pattern, can I still say the binding is a new technique even though I've used it on the toile?  I'm hoping yes, as the intention was for the garment to be a SWAP inclusion.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

indigotiger

Melinda_B asked:
QuoteIf I make a toile (was meant to be the early garment) and use a new technique, when I make the garment that is officially in SWAP can I still claim the new technique?
THe short answer - YES. Using your "new technique" in a toile, and as a way of practicing it is entirely acceptable

mudcat

I've been mulling over the new to me technique.  It needs to be something I'm sure I've never done as well as being something I'd actually wear. I'm thinking of using one of my embroidery stitches for the hem and possibly sleeves of a tunic. I'm certain I've never done that since it's not usually my style but I have a JJill tunic that has something like that and I don't mind it.  Would that work?

indigotiger

mudcat - if adding embroidery to a garment is a new thing for you, then it counts as a new-to-you technique.

You don't sound very enthused about the idea, though it does fit the  rules. My intent with that "requirement" is to encourage folks to stretch a little and maybe learn a new skill, not to force anyone to make a garment that won't be a pleasure to wear.

Maybe there is some other possibility that you have tried once before and would like to improve/perfect? I too am struggling to figure out what new thing to choose for my own SWAP sewing, and hope it will become clear to me before next April.

theresa in tucson

Some interesting discussion on the 2020 SWAP.  I certainly don't need any more clothes so I'm not going to participate except to pull together a coordinating wardrobe and fill in the holes.  I'm cheering on the participants though. :applause2:

sharonspils

Hi Indigotiger, earlier this year I cut out 2 half circle skirts and then in August the fabric was pleated for me.

Is this classed as fabric or it is partially made?

indigotiger

sharonspils - that was a bit of a stumper... I think I am going to call it as fabric, since cutting out pieces prior to the 26th is okay, and since it is possible to purchase pre-pleated fabric, I think that getting your own fabric pleated still counts as "fabric"...

sharonspils

Thank you so much Indigotiger, it was a stumper for me, so that is why I thought I would run it past you.