• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2020, 07:32:11 am

News:

Gift yourself or a friend with a subscription to Stitcher's Guild!  Only $35.00 for a year of sewing advice, discussions, contests, inspiration, sew-a-longs, and so much more!

SWAP 2020 general discussion thread

Started by Lisanne, October 30, 2019, 05:35:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warpjr1965

Oh no Mahgret!! I'm glad it was only a few stitches and not worse!

I finished one item waiting for hems, and got going on finishing another. Should be able to start the Farrow dress today, and am re-working some simple ideas to get some more mustard in the collection, even if it is only one piece.
Wendy

indigotiger

warpjr1965 - you are making great progress, keep up the good work!

Mahgret - I am so sorry that you were injured, that must have been really scary! Glad that you will be healing without further issues, and hope that you have good pain medicine and get your fingers back as good as new!

KathrynT
- while I am sad that you won't be a "finalist" it sounds as if you are already a winner in that the SWAP has given you good additions to your wardrobe..

Melinda - as my friends here would say to me "just keep sewing, just keep sewing..."

Ruthie - I'm really looking forward to seeing your whole SWAP put together in one place...

I finished my teal/turquoise pinafore, and aside from it being rather more loosely fitting than I'd prefer, it is a good addition to my wardrobe. Next up will be either a grey linen pinafore, or a very simple floral popover top...

I also realised that I can frankenpattern my way into a chore coat, by using my TNT straight front blouse pattern to get the crucial shoulder/armsceye zone correct, and simply increase the length, and make sure that the sleeves are wide enough to wear over other garments. This feels much more doable than starting with an entirely new to me pattern. I can however, use all the pocketing details etc to get the chore coat "look". I just might be able to finish SWAP in time
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

June 20, 2020, 04:30:59 am #422 Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:40:27 am by Sew Ruthie Sews
I've not caught up on all the other threads sorry, but decided to have a last push on a few extra pieces.
I've made a plain grey top from the Style Arc Molly pattern, which makes it an interesting basic.
The plus of a plain top is I can include my tartan trousers in the SWAP as I can make an outfit.

@indigotiger, great news on your pinafore. I too am looking forward to seeing all my pieces together as they've been sewn over such a long time frame I'm not quite sure what I've actually got!

If I finish everything I've got cut out then I have 16 garments (including the previously sewn jacket), but will have to see how things go together to make outfits as some things don't play together well.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

warpjr1965

Planning to cut and sew a few items today, one might be a toss away as the fabric is just meh, the others will work well with everything I've done so far.

Like Ruthie, I am going to have to rework my plan, as my original "go with everything" will not be finished in time at this rate. I have plenty to work with right now, which is unusual for me.
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

The challenges are different silhouettes (ie loose shirt, but peplum jacket) and too many things which are print/pattern, plus all the layers need to go under the coat.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

warpjr1965

Yes Ruthie, getting it all to match, and then for you does it fit under the coat!  That would have been my dilemma, except my coat will not be done. Sewing faux fur in June? Not for me.

I have managed to get one item cut and nearly sewn, I think I can finish it tonight if all goes well, then I'll cut the second.

I realized that maybe if I get my Farrow dress done I can have 2 go-with-everythings, since those 2 items don't have to be worn together. I could use one of my t-shirts (but only one) or my Elle pants. I'll have to think a bit about that.
Wendy

stephaniecan

You guys are all great! Mahgret, thinking of you and hoping you are healing up nicely!

I am within striking distance but I have been suffering in the heat wave without AC and admit I just couldn't bring myself to sew this weekend. I did trace a pattern, however, so will try to whip up one or two of those this week (and then can push through to finish my shorts and (cut out) pants next weekend. We'll see how it goes!
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

warpjr1965

Stephanie, I hope you can get some sewing done, would love to see what you put together!  But take care of yourself above all.

I've had a think about my 2 items, and I do believe I can get it to work out.  I muslined the Farrow dress and it looks good as is, even the length, so this week sometime I will cut the fabric out.

I need to find some type of pullover pattern for the yellow fleece, but I only have 1.25 yards to work with, so that will be challenging. Tonight I'll take a stroll through the pattern stash and see what I come up with.
Wendy

Lisanne

June 23, 2020, 02:39:53 am #428 Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:58:41 am by Lisanne
Quote from: Susan in Saint John on May 31, 2020, 09:50:23 am
Quote from: Lisanne on May 20, 2020, 02:27:02 amSusan in St John - I am very interested by your mention of the Alexandra Morgan fitting class
https://www.inhousepatternsstudio.com/designed-to-fit-the-bodice-block
I have a successful bodice from Brooks Ann Camper's Top Class, but I do need to add some sleeves for it to be useful - and I have unusual armholes.
Does the Alexandra Morgan class deal with that, or assume armholes are a standard shape ?
Thanks.

The armholes start out as a standard shape but by the time you totally customize the pattern, you have custom armholes and custom sleeves to fit them. It may take a couple of samples to work this out.  I have to say that this is absolutely the best course I have ever taken on fitting and I highly recommend it.  It is well worth $300 CAD. 

Many thanks for your reply Susan.  Sorry for taking so long to react, I haven't been keeping up with SWAP recently (for some reason I've been into embroidery during shut-down), and at $300 I though it was birthday-present-worthy - but I now see the course is $130cad  :D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - opinions on style, wardrobes, patterns
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lisannebainbrid/ - useful style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - links to good technique advice
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - listing of Peggy Sagers' sew-alongs
https://usingmybernina500e.wordpress.com - instructions for using my embroidery machine

indigotiger

dementedfairy - I hope that you heal well and completely, and that your ability and desire to sew return... your baking looks delectable, and you have done a lot of sewing of selfless service in addition to your creative SWAP components

So, we all have about a week left for sewing in our much extended SWAP 2020, and I must say that everyone, whether or not SWAP is completed, are all winners at heart, at least in my heart! Even if all that is accomplished is a nicely coordinated addition to your wardrobe, or the enjoyment of planning, it is all good...

This might be my own last year of doing SWAP, as I do not foresee a future when I need to add another eleven garments to my wardrobe all at one time, but I am going to make a real attempt to complete the last two on my list for this year. I cut out the grey linen pinafore, and am going to cut out the canvas jacket this afternoon...

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

sewsy

CCL! I was just thinking about you! So glad to see you posting! Love the boatneck top, super cute! As is the plaid shirt. I'm with your niece on the button color. Purple, definitely. :)

Sew Ruthie Sews

I think I have my final selection made but will need to do photos of me wearing the items.
The weather was very hot, and now is very variable so a nice dry (but not too hot) day at the weekend for photos looks like next Sunday might be doable - what's the plan about photo rules/posting etc?

I am quite happy to post my photos to my blog and link them here for ease (saves having to upload them).

I think this might be my last year for SWAP as like @indigotiger I don't really need to sew 11 pieces for my wardrobe and predicting clothing needs into the future is very hard at the moment.

Due to menopause and lockdown eating I've gained weight and changed shape. Due to months of home working (I have an office job) I have favoured comfort and practicality. We only do voice + computer screen share calls not video conferencing.
Going forwards the company I work for is going to be heavily cutting 'backroom staff' which includes IT, though they start with senior management and work down so will be a while before they get to my level - perhaps Christmas. So my job could either change a lot or I might be looking for new work.
It difficult to plan ahead with sewing without knowing what will be happening on the work front.
So small seasonal capsules, filling wardrobe holes and sewing things that bring me joy are likely to be my future plans (set of rainbow cushions anyone?)
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

warpjr1965

Well done Ruthie! I love your collection!

I hear you about the comfort clothing. It's pretty much all I wear both for work and home. I am still going in to the office, so I do need presentable clothing, but with social distancing my clothing needs have changed also.

I do have enough sewn to have a full collection, but I really want to get the Farrow dress in there, so I am pushing to complete it over the next few days. It will be challenging, but I think I can do it if I just take it step by step. It is a pretty simple dress with minimal fitting, the most complex part is the pocket construction, and the facings.
Wendy

sewsy

I love your collection as well, Ruthie! Kudos!

stephaniecan

Thanks for your encouragement, Wendy!

I've found interesting the comments of others (indigotiger, Ruthie) about not completing a SWAP next year. I find the SWAP process so much fun as an organizing principle, but I also wonder about making 11 garments - or nine, as the case might be.

I'm not sure that I'm going to make it. I'm quite close, so I am hopeful that I can do it. If I include one previously made garment and one RTW, as well as the garments I have made to this point, I am currently at 9 pieces. My tenth in theory would actually be the coat I was working on early in the winter, as it is nearly finished and just needs to have the pockets sewn on and the lining in. I decided to exclude it, however, as my collection has veered towards a more summery one. I have a shirt half-way made and so if I finish it up tonight and make one more simple thing (maybe a t-shirt or tank) tomorrow, I will be done. We'll see if I have the concentration to do it.

In any case, I have enjoyed participating and thank indigotiger very much for her wonderful leadership.

Maybe next year I will also focus on capsules. Perhaps the SWAP concept could transition, too.

@Sew Ruthie Sews Sorry to hear about the uncertainty around work. That must be stressful.

A big hug to everyone!
That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. ― Willa Cather, My Ántonia

indigotiger

just wanted to let everyone know that I am starting to think about what the photo requirements will be, and I have messaged Dragon Lady about if we can set up a Gallery here for images. (I know that I myself would be okay with simply posting my photos on my blog, but not everyone has a blog...)

I am down to the wire on having eleven pieces for my SWAP... if I finish my current sewing project, the grey linen pinafore, and somehow manage to make a final item tomorrow!

warpjr1965

Indigotiger, I have a blog that I would be happy to post pictures on and link to here.

Last push today for a few of us, I am glad there are others who either got busy, or like me are master procrastinators!  I got quite a lot of the Farrow dress sewn up yesterday, but there is still a lot to go. here is a line drawing https://grainlinestudio.com/blogs/blog/farrow-sew-along-cutting and you can see all the bias in each pattern piece. Careful as I was it still grew in places. I should be able to finish tonight after work.

Good luck everyone, and congrats to Ruthie for finishing!
Wendy

Melinda_B

Well, it's 9.15pm on the 30th here.  I'll count up my makes tomorrow (or possibly the weekend) and post them.  I don't think I made enough for a SWAP, but have loved working towards it and I've achieved my goal of having more clothes to wear to work.

I've also tried several new techniques, some I'll use again, some I may not.  I think I've learned something from every garment I've made this year!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

stephaniecan

I'm going to make it!! I just completed a top and I completed a blue shirt last night. I just need to make the buttonholes now and sew on the buttons and I'm done!! Whee!! (Although I had best go through the rules again and double check everything, but I think I'm OK.

indigotiger

June 30, 2020, 09:24:03 pm #439 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:04:14 pm by indigotiger
I might will not make it... I finished my grey linen pinafore sometime after 9PM, and while I had decided this morning that the try-to-get-SWAP-done item would be a pair of dark grey knit loose leggings, probably the quickest item in my TNT list, I decided that 10PM was not the best time to begin a new project, however easy. I am quite happy with all my SWAP components, all of which went into immediate rotation in my daily wardrobe, and will certainly share them here anyway.

stephaniecan

@indigotiger Your sewing is so beautiful, so I have enjoyed seeing everything (but am sorry that you didn't quite make it in the end as I would love to see the whole collection together).

I didn't think I would make it and I only made it because I (for a change) made a sensible decision and whipped up a scoop neck top in a pretty colour right after I finished work yesterday. I thereby also managed to get the buttons on the woven shirt I had finished the day before. Finishing isn't important, but in this context it gave me a boost and reminded me how much I enjoy sewing and want to do more of it (and have an ample stash to accommodate that desire!).

Now to the photos, which will be challenging for me. I'll try to come up with an innovative solution to get better shots than usual even though I am alone.

CCL

July 01, 2020, 07:10:55 am #441 Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:09:57 pm by CCL
All - so impressed by everyone's stick-to-it attitude - through injury, isolation, change in clothing needs, and new, COVID- related responsibilities.

Your garments are lovely. Congratulations to everyone, thank you to IndigoTiger for hosting, Mahgret for her wonderful FiestaWare and joy inspiration, Demented Faery, Stephanie, Wendy, Melinda, Susan, Lianne - and everyone else who is particiating - for their dedication to our shared love of sewing - I have enjoyed seeing everyone's progress and comments.

I have had a hard time actually sewing garments this year - for various reasons - but have been so inspired by everyone's persistence and creative wardrobe additions.

Like many, the SWAP I had planned and my evolving clothing needs are no longer a match.   I was going to plug along as I usually do, sticking with my plan but with sewing stretched out over the year(s).   However, I think I need to be more honest with myself, ditch my plan and sew comfortable clothes for "home." 

Edited to Add:  Enjoyed seeing Medea's thoughts and Ruthie's entire collection as well - any one else I missed.  In past years I so enjoyed the camaraderie of all the folks sewing along.  Hope that it can again happen in future years.

Medea

I didn't finish this year but I will make the garments and use them in my wardrobe even if it takes a little longer.
I'll love to see your finished garments and congrats to everyone who made it!  :applause2:
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

stephaniecan

Sorry to hear that you have not been able to sew as much as you would have liked, @CCL. The recent sewing you have shared is beautiful, as always. Sorry to hear, too, @Medea that you have not completed your collection, as I love to see your work!

warpjr1965

Well, I am done as well! The Farrow dress will not make an appearance, as I had some issues with the fabric stretching on the bias, which threw off the Geometry of the front seams. I believe I can fix it, but it is not hemmed, and therefore, not done.

I did some serious sewing this time and have more than 11 garments, which is great. I'll do some mixing and matching and come up with a grouping I like.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Too bad about the delay with the Farrow dress, Wendy, but congrats on getting so much quality sewing done. I look forward to seeing your collection!!

Sew Ruthie Sews

No progress on photos, maybe I should just wear an outfit each day and get a quick shot taken.
So perhaps today I hang everything on the fence and take a photo.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

I took my SWAP photos this morning and they are truly awful! It was too hot to iron so I am clean but kind of wrinkled. I figure they will be good to give everyone a laugh. We can use a laugh. I just need to take one with all garments together.

stephaniecan

This has been such a terrible year so far, but I'd like to say thank you to indigotiger for her excellent leadership of SWAP, in spite of how things turned out. I hope that we will all be able to gather in future to celebrate our making more fully.

Stephanie