• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 18, 2019, 05:13:26 pm

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2020 - Official Rules

Started by indigotiger, October 29, 2019, 10:35:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

October 29, 2019, 10:35:50 pm Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:21:15 pm by indigotiger
No purchase necessary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.  You are encouraged to start a thread to announce your intention to participate as a contestant or to sew along, and keep track of and share your progress, and encouraged to join in the "general discussion" thread for kudos, queries, and advice...

RULES:
Your Perfect Vision - SWAP 2020
11 pieces, in two groups:
  • 9 or 10 that may coordinate (be worn together) to form outfits
  • 1 or 2 that MUST coordinate (be able to be worn with all of the others)  (1 if you make 10 other pieces, 2 if you make 9)
  • no required garments
  • no required colors
  • You may include one garment that is knitted, crocheted, or handwoven

SWAP sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2010. Pattern fitting and cutting may be done whenever you're ready.

You may include 1 garment you had already sewn prior to the rules announcement and 1 purchased ready-to-wear garment, or 2 pre-sewn garments made prior to the rules announcement. (I encourage either of these options, as integrating your SWAP sewing with your current wardrobe increases how versatile your self-sewn clothing will be). In addition, you may include one additional garment that is sewn after the rules have been posted and before the official start SWAP sewing date of December 26. If you include these three garments, that gives a total of eight more to be sewn before SWAP ends, for a fairly reasonable 2 per month.

You must choose a theme for your collection to act as a focal point -  something that inspires you and will help give your SWAP wardrobe a cohesive "feel"; it could be a verbal phrase, a photo, a location, an artifact, or even an accessory (like a scarf). You must post what you have chosen as your theme.

You must include, as part of making one (or more) garments, a technique that both stretches your skill set and is something you have been wanting to learn. For example: someone who is a beginner might choose zippers, someone who is further along on their sewing journey might choose Hong Kong seam finishing or welt pockets, someone who loves embellishment might try making an Alabama Chanin style reverse applique garment, etc....

For the purposes of this SWAP, a sewn "garment" is one that consists of more than one pattern piece, stitched together. A poncho (one piece with a hole for the neckline), or a wrap (one piece of fabric) are not. Some knitted or crocheted garments are made in one piece, but involve careful shaping, so they count as garments.

SUGGESTIONS:

It often helps to choose a limited set of colors as well, that relate to your theme. While I myself like to choose from the palette of colors already in my wardrobe; that certainly isn't required, though it does make your SWAP sewing more versatile if the new pieces will coordinate not only with each other, but with previously sewn or purchased garments. The original SWAP concept had a very limited group of colors and a very limited number of simple-to-sew patterns, in order to get the maximum useful combinations with a minimum amount of difficulty and sewing time. For some, that will still be an ideal way to approach SWAP, while others may wish to really dive into a challenge instead. Both approaches are commendable.

The more separates you include in your SWAP, the more combinations you will be able to create, but if your wardrobe preference is single garments such as dresses (or jumpsuits?) you can still participate.

Using simple patterns, or TNT patterns, will increase the likelihood you will complete a whole SWAP. That said, choosing to also add a challenging pattern or technique can allow you to stretch your sewing skills - I chose the rules this year to encourage a mixture of both in your SWAP, as simple patterns in quality fabrics can be great building blocks for wardrobe versatility, and improving your sewing skills and vocabulary will gradually increase what you are comfortable sewing.

Here are a few, but certainly not the only, possible examples of "recipes" for groups of garments that all fit this years SWAP criteria
  • 9 knit tops + skirt + pants
  • 5 tops/shirts + 2 pants + 2 skirts + jacket + cardigan
  • 6 tops/tee + 2 pants + dress + jean jacket + hoodie
  • 9 dresses + jacket + cardigan
  • 5 tops + 2 tunics + 3 pants + vest
  • 4 tops/shirts + 3 pinafores + 2 leggings + vest + cardigan
The purpose of SWAP has always been Sewing With A Plan... to spend your sewing time creating clothing that suits your life and personal style, and that works together as a functional addition to your wardrobe. Rather than just sewing garments at random you will create a group of eleven garments that will add at least 18 or more new "looks" to your daily life.

Hopefully these rules will allow everyone to find a grouping that will fit their wardrobe needs, their personal style, and their sewing skills and available time. Please let me know if there are aspects of this years rules that are unclear, and we can sort them out together
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

treefrog

:applause2: Looks like a great set of rules @indigotiger.  I've been working on on a plan that should fit into the rules. 

I'm assuming from the second recipe that you gave, that the item(s) that must co-ordinate, don't necessarily need to be able to be worn with all the other pieces, but look like they belong to the set.  This would be really helpful for me as I'm planning only tops and pants/shorts for a summer wardrobe

Lisanne

October 30, 2019, 04:59:58 am #2 Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:48:12 am by Lisanne
What great freedom Indigotiger, interesting to see.
There is one non-freedom - every one who is thinking they might participate needs to start an individual thread before December 26th, with their theme.
So everyone must post an individual thread ? and no-one can decide after December 26th to join in ? or change their mind about their theme ?

I hope that as usual, discussion will be on a main general discussion thread, so we're not skipping around all over the place to try to keep track. . .

Best Wishes to all  :heart_smilie:
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

stephaniecan

Wow, What great rules, indigotiger! You are making it difficult to not participate this year!! I suspect this year's competition will be fierce and fun.

With apologies to mods - feel free to delete or move to discussion as noy specifically a question.

Melinda_B

Wow, that's a brilliant set of rules IndigoTiger!  I love the flexibility.  Need to put some deep thought into the two that have to go with everything from the first set.  A pair of jeans comes to mind here......
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

CCL

Totally agree with everyone above, I truly thought I wouldn't even able to sew along because my project list is "lots of jackets" but I could actually see how even my scattershot project plan could fit into the rules.  Of course, I will be slow sewing as usual, but it's nice to see that I could have a plan as well! 

Bravo, IndigoTiger.

Turquoise

Great rules @indigotiger  :)

I could have written exactly what  @CCL wrote above for myself.  My sewing project list contains a lot of jackets but I also need some new knit tops, which will be a lot quicker than jackets so who knows...  I'm certainly going to join in with planning though even if I don't complete SWAP - it's such a great, fun way to get focus and get some stuff done and it's always wonderful to see what everyone else is up to.

sewsy

I love these rules, Indigotiger! I've never wanted to enter, and don't plan on doing so now; but I may just "sewalong on the sidelines" this time 'round. I am letting the rules marinate. I plan to come up with something soon. Thanks so much for volunteering. This is gonna be fun.

indigotiger

October 30, 2019, 01:13:25 pm #8 Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:18:21 pm by indigotiger
I knew for sure that there would be questions, so I will do my best to answer/clarify what my intention is and possibly if needed go back to my original post of the rules and amend the wording slightly to better reflect my meaning.

treefrog
asked:
Quote from: undefinedI'm assuming from the second recipe that you gave, that the item(s) that must co-ordinate, don't necessarily need to be able to be worn with all the other pieces, but look like they belong to the set.
I think that I should have written "be worn together" rather than "coordinate"... My intention was for the 2 (if with 9) or 1 (if with 10) garments that must coordinate is that they be able to be worn with ALL of the other 9 or 10 garments, not simply look like they belong in the same wardrobe. If there are 2, they need not be worn together, but each must be able to be worn with all the group 1 garments.

For the examples I gave:
    9 knit tops + skirt + pants
The skirt and pants can each be worn with any of the 9 knit tops
    5 tops/shirts + 2 pants + 2 skirts + jacket + cardigan
The tops/shirts and the pants/skirts mix and match, the jacket and the cardigan each can be worn with all of the outfits
    6 tops/tee + 2 pants + dress + jean jacket + hoodie
Either of the pants can be worn with any of the tops, the jacket and the hoodie can be worn with all possible outfits and also with the dress
    9 dresses + jacket + cardigan
The jacket and the cardigan can each be worn with any of the dresses
    5 tops + 2 tunics + 3 pants + vest
The tops, tunics and pants all can combine to form various outfits, the vest can be worn with all possible outfits
    4 tops/shirts + 3 pinafores + 2 leggings + vest + cardigan
The tops, pinafores, and leggings can be combined to form various outfits, the vest and the cardigan can be worn with all possible outfits

Having a garment or two that can be used as part of multiple outfits really exponentially increases the number of "looks" one can get from a limited wardrobe. Figuring out what that or those garments should be, what style, what colors, what type of fabric, etc can be a challenge, but is very worthwhile.

Melinda_B mentioned:
QuoteNeed to put some deep thought into the two that have to go with everything from the first set.
You can have either one or two that must work with everything else

Lisanne asked
Quote from: undefinedThere is one non-freedom - every one who is thinking they might participate needs to start an individual thread before December 26th, with their theme. So everyone must post an individual thread ? and no-one can decide after December 26th to join in ? or change their mind about their theme ?
while my intent was to encourage people to plan ahead, and think about their collection as a whole, before firing up their sewing machines, I didn't mean to exclude those who may want to either change their minds as their sewing progressed, or to start after December 26... I shall rewrite that sentence to remove the time constraint of when to make that decision.

I do want to ask encourage people to start an individual thread once they begin, as a place to set down what their theme is, even if they don't want to continue posting individual posts, as that makes it easier to find again later on, rather than scrolling through the general discussion thread

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

treefrog

Thanks for the clarification IndigoTiger.  I like your reasoning but I'm not sure I can make it work for my current needs. 9 tops and 2 shorts are an option, but it's a lot of tops. 

If it's OK,I would still like to sew-along for the time being.  My current plan gives me 60 potential outfits, mostly linen with a touch of silk.  Perhaps when April comes around and the temps get below 30C again, I might be able to rejig it to work. 

warpjr1965

Rules!!! So excited, and feeling very challenged too!  I'll have a think and then open my own thread to post my ruminations. Thanks indigotiger!
Wendy

sharonspils

Great rules @indigotiger as I need tops badly so I can see this working for me in a number of ways. 

Off to think about my"theme"

mahgret

I have some classes on Bluprint about drafting my own patterns which I have yet to tackle and am wondering if drafting my own pattern could be my challenging technique?

indigotiger

mahgret - if pattern drafting is a new skill for you, or even one that you tried but wish to improve, there is no reason why that wouldn't be an excellent choice.

mudcat

So if I understand this correctly, I could make 1-2 pants/skirts in black and then 9-10 tops in prints (or solids) that work with black.  Or am I missing something here.

Alternatively, I could make a black cardigan and 10 dresses of various prints/colors that work with black.

Melinda_B

Quote from: mudcat on November 01, 2019, 01:27:26 amSo if I understand this correctly, I could make 1-2 pants/skirts in black and then 9-10 tops in prints (or solids) that work with black.  Or am I missing something here.

Alternatively, I could make a black cardigan and 10 dresses of various prints/colors that work with black. 

That's how I understood it.  The challenge here is to use new techniques, and advance or stretch our skills.  And to have a theme for the collection.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Sew Ruthie Sews

Or you could make a lightweight raincoat and a shrug. Then a dress, 1 pr shorts, 1 pair jeans, 1 pair leggings, a walking skirt, a camp shirt, a tunic, a tee and a sleeveless top.
As long as you can make outfits with the latter items and wear either layer with them you are good.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

angelsweb

The biggest stumbling block for me right now is trying to figure out a new technique to try. I'm having trouble coming up with something I'd like that I've never tried. I tend to go for really classic styles and use jewelry in lieu of embellishments. I've tried out a bunch of embellishment and dying techniques over the years that i've Never actually used in a garment. Maybe one of those will inspire me ...

And after nearly 50 years of sewing, I've tried most major techniques from basic garments to traditional tailoring, to sewing with fabrics I wove myself.

I guess I need to go to the library and do some research.

indigotiger

QuoteThe biggest stumbling block for me right now is trying to figure out a new technique to try. I'm having trouble coming up with something I'd like that I've never tried.
I can relate to this, though from a slightly different direction... I am considering learning how to add a tower placket to sleeves, since that is something I've not done

In your case, maybe there are some classic garment embellishments, like oh, say, hand-picked zippers, or arrowhead tacks, or some other kind of couture detail that you haven't tried that might fit with your style? Bias or flat piping? Rouleaux? Hemstitching either by machine or by hand?

CCL

Indigotiger, two questions.  1.  Would a fabric type we've never sewn before count as a new technique?  For example, I've never worked with silk charmeuse.   2. Would a garment that can be worn as an undergarment or garment be our one thing that goes with everything else?   

If I make a silk camisole that can be worn as a top with skirts / jackets, but under dresses as an under garment, is that allowable?

indigotiger

Quote1.  Would a fabric type we've never sewn before count as a new technique?  For example, I've never worked with silk charmeuse.
Working with a fabric type that one hasn't sewn before would definitely count as a new technique. Often new types of fabric require learning new ways of handling fabric in order to get good results...

Quote2. Would a garment that can be worn as an undergarment or garment be our one thing that goes with everything else?... If I make a silk camisole that can be worn as a top with skirts / jackets, but under dresses as an under garment, is that allowable?
While a garment that is worn only as underwear (such as a bra) would not be acceptable, a garment (such as a camisole) that can and will be worn as outerwear with multiple other garments (ie skirts/jackets) in your SWAP as well as an underlayer with other garments (ie dresses) in your SWAP is acceptable for a "garment that is worn with every outfit".

mahgret

I have a pattern for a crossfront top, which includes a little tank for modesty.  I was planning to count that as one garment, since I would not wear either piece without the other.  Is this ok?

indigotiger

Quote from: mahgret on November 02, 2019, 01:41:32 pmI have a pattern for a crossfront top, which includes a little tank for modesty.  I was planning to count that as one garment, since I would not wear either piece without the other.  Is this ok?
Two garments that are always worn together as in this description would indeed count as one garment. A little extra work for you, but surely worth it for something you will enjoy wearing...

indigotiger

Kushami asked:
Quote...with this SWAP is that I can make multiples of one item (I think?)...
There is no ban on making multiples of a particular garment, using the same pattern, if that is what works for your wardrobe. We each get to choose what we want to challenge ourselves with. I myself use TNT patterns over and over again, though sometimes changing parts like sleeves or pockets or collars adds variety...

Melinda_B

Clarification - do we need to use a new technique/fabric/methodology for every single garment?  Because I think that might be rather difficult to do it to that extreme.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Melinda_B

And....  could I use 'buy nothing' as my theme?  Or is that too vague?
Melinda

Perth, Australia

indigotiger

November 05, 2019, 12:11:07 am #26 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:17:58 am by indigotiger
Quote from: undefinedClarification - do we need to use a new technique/fabric/methodology for every single garment?  Because I think that might be rather difficult to do it to that extreme.
Oh gosh certainly not!! While if someone wanted to use something new-to-them in every garment that would not be forbidden, I specifically phrased it as "in one (or more)" to try and make it clear that the "stretch your skills" aspect need only apply to one garment. My intention was to gently encourage folks to try something new, or to improve something they had maybe tried but wanted better results 

Quote from: undefinedcould I use 'buy nothing' as my theme?  Or is that too vague?
Hmmm... I actually don't think that works as a "theme", since that as a guideline would not necessarily end up with a wardrobe with any internal cohesion. Part of the intention of SWAP is thinking and sewing a collection of garments that work together as a wardrobe, and the "theme" is sort of like a vision statement or a mission statement for your SWAP.

I know that a number of us are trying to use the fabrics we have on hand to create our SWAP plans, and while I could certainly and easily make eleven garments pulling fabric from my "resource" shelves, they wouldn't necessarily coordinate at all, hence my "theme" requirement. A theme need not be anything esoteric or complicated, it could be "casual clothes for hot weather", or "textured warm colors", or "I need new work clothes", or "blue is my favorite color"... for examples.  Does that help at all?

edited to add: also, you don't need to have decided on and posted your theme before you begin planning and/or sewing, though you do need to have posted it before the end of SWAP. Having a theme at the beginning is very helpful, though...

Melinda_B

Quote from: indigotiger on November 05, 2019, 12:11:07 amOh gosh certainly not!! While if someone wanted to use something new-to-them in every garment that would not be forbidden, I specifically phrased it as "in one (or more)" to try and make it clear that the "stretch your skills" aspect need only apply to one garment. My intention was to gently encourage folks to try something new, or to improve something they had maybe tried but wanted better results 

I'm sorry, I totally missed seeing the one or more!  And thank you for the clarification re theme - at this point it's "things I could wear to work" which is also not really unifying!  I'll get there....
Melinda

Perth, Australia

KayoticSewing

:applause2: This is a wonderful set of rules!!! Great job, Indigotiger!  :thumbsup:

BinMI

My idea was to make 4-jackets/cardigans, 4-Tee shirts, and 3-pants/jeans....if I wanted to use two pants/jeans for the must be able to wear with anything, what happens to the third pant/jean, I can't wear them with the "two"...but I may be able to wear them with all the tops and toppers. On the other hand, if I choose two jackets that must go with everything, I would never wear a jacket with another jacket...It seems as if the must item has to be limited to two only, in order to make the rules work...is this correct, or am I overthinking?

CCL

November 09, 2019, 07:24:16 am #30 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:55:18 am by CCL
BinMI
That's why I am doing a silk Cami - I couldn't figure how to get one garment that could be worn with everything - So I thought of the cami as a top with pants, under jackets, and as an undergarment for dresses. Would something like that work for you.??

If it wasn't red, my coat would have worked, but the color will not of work with some of my other choices.

mahgret

November 09, 2019, 08:48:25 am #31 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:51:47 am by mahgret
When I read Indigotiger's examples, it seemed like the two go with everything items didn't have to go with each other.  The examples with two bottoms say something like either can be worn with any of the tops.

indigotiger

November 09, 2019, 02:32:13 pm #32 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:03:37 pm by indigotiger
Indeed mahgret, you are correct in that interpretation, and I will think of how to best alter the wording to reflect that. Obviously, if someone made a skirt and a pair of pants to wear with 9 different tops, the skirt and pants need not be worn together; ditto for, say, if someone made two different jackets, etc...

indigotiger

BinMI asked:
QuoteIt seems as if the must item has to be limited to two only, in order to make the rules work...is this correct,
I am afraid that you are in fact correct... the one or two "must be able to wear with any of the other outfits" are not going to work well in this plan if they have duplicates among the other nine or ten garments. You could still sew your desired group of clothing, but perhaps you could add an additional tee shirt to your planned sewing, in order to have a suitable mix, and simply not include the "extra" pair of jeans, or cardigan/jacket in your SWAP? Far be it for me to discourage you from sewing up your hoped for wardrobe additions - it is always a challenge to come up with how to best match sewing needs with chosen rules of a particular year

BinMI

Thanks for the timely reply, my plan isn't set yet so it will be easy to revise.