• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 10, 2019, 08:58:55 am

News:

To access all of our great topics, and use all the terrific features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription. 
Visit this thread: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,1849 For more information
If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

The pre-2020 SWAP jacket challenge

Started by CCL, October 12, 2019, 12:40:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Turquoise

@indigotiger I love how you have repeated motifs and materials - lovely work and can't wait to see the whole garment  :)

VWG

I came out of the woodwork, fell off the wagon and took the bait! Thank you for sharing that pattern, CCL!  How wonderful to see a flange built into the shoulder! I've collected old patterns with that feature, half looking for something like the Pendleton, never quite finding it and here it is!

I would love to see Gram's old jacket, moth eaten or not.

If I get around to sewing it, I may try either a hong kong finish or flat fell the seams with a felling foot as my "new to me" skill stretch.

Whether I participate in the full SWAP remains a debate. I keep sketching and sketching, trying to find a theme and color connections, trying to find my way back to sewing but my head's not here yet.

My parents died 2 weeks ago. 15 hours apart. Both in the same hospice. Each knew the other was there, in spite of her cancer and his dementia. 67 years of marriage so it was a good, long run. Mom went first and Dad died while looking at Mom's photo.

They lived and left this world together.

Mom and I shared a love of sewing. She sewed quilts. I sew garments. She enjoyed my handwork as I stitched the running stitches on my silk screen designs at her bedside.

She lives on in my sewing. Just like her mother and her grandmother before her.

The long threads bind us together.

Turquoise

Quote from: VWG on November 08, 2019, 09:39:44 pmThe long threads bind us together.

That's a wonderful sentiment to hold on to. 

My condolences on the loss of your Mom and Dad.

Take care and I hope to see posts of your sewing when you are ready.

CCL

November 09, 2019, 05:50:31 am #73 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:16:27 am by CCL
VWG, holding you in the light, I am so sorry. 

Sewing was my salvation when my mother died (quite suddenly, when I had just graduated college). I sewed every day for months - it let me feel connected to her and helped me with my grieving.

Re: Pendleton jacket.
It was actually Theresa in Tucson who spotted the pattern in a post on bluemooney's blog...Like you, I was so excited to see it.  Called Pendleton and ordered it immediately.  It came pretty fast even though I am on the East Coast, couple of days, I think?

Thank you for the idea of seam finishes; Gram's are just turned and stitched.  I am also thinking of removing the buttons from it and the old Pendelton label and putting them on/in the new jacket.   With you, me and Marcia's wanting to try it...maybe we should start a 49'er jacket topic in this thread as well - what do you all think?   Is the conversation about it interesting enough to others here, or would it be better to start its own topic?

I will try to get photos and post.  I literally wore it out - in addition Gram's years of hard wear - it's pretty battered.  Then the moths finished it off.  I kept it because I always wanted to trace it off and make another.

sewsy

My condolences for your loss, VWG. What a lovely testament to your parents love for one another.

VWG

My folks didn't want services so the condolences and pausing to indulge in a sewing reflection allows me to honor memories with a little story. Thank you for the space.

I'm happy to participate here or in a subset topic on the Pendleton jacket. Sewing organizes me in a defined, simple way and I know the stitching will soothe me. A bit of Pendleton fabric shipped with the pattern---sewing with beautiful textiles brings me such joy--and sewing in community would help anchor me when loss casts one adrift.

At first glance: the design of a pocket piece surprised me--a long folded shape which makes the pocket doubled in fabric.  Is that post war exuberance with fabric?

warpjr1965

VWG please add my condolences to the others. I'll be thinking of you.
Wendy

indigotiger

VWG - my condolences on your loss, and may sewing bring you the consolation you hope for. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your world, and their love
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

November 12, 2019, 04:54:29 pm #78 Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:34:40 pm by indigotiger
I've finished my scrappy/collage cardigan... and am pretty happy with the results:
It is very comfy to wear, being like a double layer knit fabric top, with snaps down the front. It was fun to make, combining various leftover pieces from former garments, and tying the whole thing together using stenciled motifs. The shaping is minimal, and the loose fit will allow it to be easily worn over multiple layers in the wintertime, and the layered construction of the cardigan itself means that it is warmer than the light weight would imply. I call this a win. I know I'll have to take some side and back view photos before 26 December.

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Lisanne

Indigotiger - that looks like an exciting and rewarding garment full of inspiring ideas   :heart:
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

indigotiger

It feels really good to be using up scraps from former garments, which means that the cardigan will coordinate with those, as well as with the cloud-collar top I am currently working on, using some of the remaining scraps, which will form a kind of "art teacher twinset", and also be part of my SWAP 2020.

The new thing for me in this project is piecing various fabrics together to form a harmonious whole. I used eight different scrap fabrics, and five different stencils. While I often use fabric other than the main body of a garment as trim, I have never done this sort of artsy patchwork/colorwork, which I so admire in the Tilton sisters, the Ericsons, and Koos Van Den Akker... The other new thing I did with this garment is that it is primarily stitched with the zig zag stitch with raw edges overlapped, sometimes using multiple rows to hold the pieces and seam allowances in place. Sort of a funky edge finish technique inspired by Pearl Red Moon Art's Zambeesi Jacket.   

Turquoise

JenSaCan

indigotiger your cardigan is absolutely beautiful.

kowgiirl.up

November 13, 2019, 03:48:22 pm #83 Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:53:04 am by kowgiirl.up
Quote from: VWG on November 08, 2019, 09:39:44 pmThe long threads bind us together.

How true that is. I'm so sorry your loss your folks but am glad that you are able to move forward with something that you and your family have enjoyed for generations. Good for you!
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

@indigotiger , you did it again! You just keep cranking out all these cool outfits. Well done!
Theresa

Runs with scissors

kowgiirl.up

I can't compete but I did find this jacket that I would like to sew one day. This isn't a pattern, I found it on FaceTube and did a snip :)) . This is something I would for sure wear.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

VWG

indigotiger- Bravo! The stencil ties it together to make it your own. Way to play with an idea! Thank you for sharing the up-front thought process through to execution!

BinMI

indigotiger - you bring "scrappy" to a new level. Beautiful cardigan!

CCL

November 14, 2019, 03:07:01 pm #88 Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:57:04 am by CCL
Kowgirrl.up - I love that jacket! Reminds me of my western roots.  I bet someone could find something that approximated it (I am terrible at finding patterns, but maybe others who are whizzes at that could!).

BinMI - I have been meaning to compliment you on such a lovely avatar - you look radiant! - Hope your leg is healing quickly.

IndigoTiger - Expert? Artiste?  What can I say, your skills defy all categorizing.  Beautiful jacket and it looks so perfect with that outfit - are those bloomers?

VWG - I finally got around to pressing up a little Gram's jacket and will try to get photos of key parts if we have any sun in the near future.  I did write up some notes and start a new topic The Pendleton 49're Jacket - Notes on my Gram's vintage garment in case any one is interested, has questions, compare notes on construction or just post progress.   ETA:  Updated with photos.

BinMI

November 14, 2019, 04:42:00 pm #89 Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:55:27 pm by BinMI
I really want to do this challenge, but am not sure I can pull it off...I will just try to do a little every day as I'm able.

CCL, thank you for your kind words...off topic, but I acquired a second dog to train in Search & Rescue tracking, so I'm outside and active all the time. (That's how I broke my leg two weeks ago.)
You cannot see attachments on this board.

BinMI

November 14, 2019, 04:45:07 pm #90 Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:54:39 pm by BinMI
Deleted post

indigotiger

November 14, 2019, 05:03:44 pm #91 Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:42:39 pm by indigotiger
BinMI - what a gorgeous and alert dog! I hope that your leg heals quickly.

kowgiirl.up - I like the detailing on the jacket... is it a combination of leather and wool plaid?

CCL - Good eye... it is cold enough that I am wearing what I describe as "loose leggings" underneath my everyday clothing, they aren't at all lacey or frilly, which is how I think of bloomers.

kowgiirl.up

@indigotiger, I have no idea but I would guess you're right. I would love to have one for winter.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

BinMI

Making a jackets has been a goal of mine for a long time...this discussion is moving me forward.

I've been tracing off pattern pieces moving towards the muslin process...who knows, I might be able to pull this off.

luz clara

Indigotiger your cardigan is an inspiration! It is just beautiful. It's the essence of "art to wear" too!

Luz Clara

Morzel

chiming in late...

@VWG I am truly sorry for your loss... the fact that they left together brought tears to my eyes.

@indigotiger your cardigan is wonderful! Again, I am in awe of your creativity:applause2: (as an aside, it made me remember my much-loved patchwork velvet bomber jacket I wore constantly during mid-80s. It looked completely different, but whatever stirs memories...)

@CCL interested to read about the Pendleton jacket details. Thanks for sharing! Never heard of the jacket before, even though it seems to have been widely popular back then - but in a different corner of the planet from mine. Looking forward to a newly sewn one!

@kowgiirl.up I am another one liking that jacket. Great inspiration.
Eva

CCL

November 16, 2019, 03:22:03 am #96 Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:34:11 am by CCL
Quote from: BinMI on November 15, 2019, 09:33:22 amMaking a jackets has been a goal of mine for a long time...this discussion is moving me forward.

I've been tracing off pattern pieces moving towards the muslin process...who knows, I might be able to pull this off.

BinMI That would be lovely!
Morsel - Pendleton wool and Pendleton garments may be a western (south and north) USA thing. They have a rugged outdoor kind of vibe.

It seems on the East coast Pendleton is not as well known. I am pretty jazzed about the pattern as I have had Gram's saved all these years in hopes that someday I would be able to recreate it. 

IndigoTiger . I can't get over how fabulous that cardigan is.  Just a work of art.  Bloomers, hummm, I don't think of them as frilly at all - historically weren't they  the more the sensible solution for women who rode bikes? And highly practical.. Maybe the victorians  gave em a frilly connotation and the lagen look continues the tradition?  I dunno, I am definitely not a fashion historian, but I really like yours; they are so attractive and really complete the outfit.

warpjr1965

Indigotiger, that is simply stunning, and pulls your whole look together, Bravo!

So glad others are joining in!

Me, I'm still plodding along with DDs jacket first, but I'd better get cracking or I'll run out of time. I may start tissue fitting soon, and I'll see about ditching the back pleat. I'll also likely have to grade out the hips, but this is a Palmer-Pletsch pattern so should have good instructions.
Wendy

warpjr1965

I pulled out the pattern and checked for size. I am in-between 2, naturally. I'll re-measure before I cut the pattern. If it is loose fitting I may opt for the smaller, although I'll likely check the finished garment size as well.
I'll have to get this one going soon if I hope to finish in a month.  :o
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

Hope progress on the jackets is going well.

I have not even traced the pattern for mine, and its going to be black which isn't great for sewing on dark Nov/Dec evenings. So plan to get started on that very soon.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

warpjr1965

I did manage to cut the pattern this weekend. Next up is the tissue fitting process, which will take another weekend to do. Then I really should muslin. I hope I can finish, but this is not something i want to rush!
Wendy

stephaniecan

Yay Wendy!

I have done absolutely nothing and am feeling rather guilty, but this always happens to me at this time of year and I had the added distraction of my partner being here over the last week and a half. I have no excuse not to get started this weekend, although my eye started to wander and I am having a hard time not starting a pair of pants I want!

@indigotiger, I have no idea how I missed that stunning jacket, but I am in awe! I love it! I am so impressed.

Sew Ruthie Sews

I have traced one piece of my pattern. It is now 1st December. I have a few choir events and Christmas parties, plus working and getting people Christmas presents so not sure how much sewing time there will be. Hmmm.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

stephaniecan

@Sew Ruthie Sews we're in the same boat. I just started making my jacket. I cut out my toile today and started sewing it up, but I am not sure how the fitting will go as I am already undecided about exactly which changes to make. I may not have the jacket done before Christmas but I will consider it an achievement if I have the toile done in the next week or so, so it has not all been for naught. I'm going to wait and see. :)

warpjr1965

Me too! Felled by a cold, and the Thanksgiving holiday. I am determined to finish however. Any thoughts on laundering/pre treating a rayon woven? Its a relatively loose weave, likely with a little cotton too.
Wendy