• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 11, 2019, 02:49:40 pm

News:

What does SG do with $35.00 per year?
-Brings together people from all walks of life who share a common love of sewing.
-Pays the bills without selling or sharing any of your personal information.
-Provides an ad-free experience for everyone.
-Provides an up-to-date cross-platform venue that works on all your favorite devices.
-Stores, protects and allows you to share your messages, posts, photos and tutorials.
-Helps keep the community active and supports its growth.

The pre-2020 SWAP jacket challenge

Started by CCL, October 12, 2019, 12:40:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Turquoise

@indigotiger I love how you have repeated motifs and materials - lovely work and can't wait to see the whole garment  :)

VWG

I came out of the woodwork, fell off the wagon and took the bait! Thank you for sharing that pattern, CCL!  How wonderful to see a flange built into the shoulder! I've collected old patterns with that feature, half looking for something like the Pendleton, never quite finding it and here it is!

I would love to see Gram's old jacket, moth eaten or not.

If I get around to sewing it, I may try either a hong kong finish or flat fell the seams with a felling foot as my "new to me" skill stretch.

Whether I participate in the full SWAP remains a debate. I keep sketching and sketching, trying to find a theme and color connections, trying to find my way back to sewing but my head's not here yet.

My parents died 2 weeks ago. 15 hours apart. Both in the same hospice. Each knew the other was there, in spite of her cancer and his dementia. 67 years of marriage so it was a good, long run. Mom went first and Dad died while looking at Mom's photo.

They lived and left this world together.

Mom and I shared a love of sewing. She sewed quilts. I sew garments. She enjoyed my handwork as I stitched the running stitches on my silk screen designs at her bedside.

She lives on in my sewing. Just like her mother and her grandmother before her.

The long threads bind us together.

Turquoise

Quote from: VWG on November 08, 2019, 09:39:44 pmThe long threads bind us together.

That's a wonderful sentiment to hold on to. 

My condolences on the loss of your Mom and Dad.

Take care and I hope to see posts of your sewing when you are ready.

CCL

November 09, 2019, 05:50:31 am #73 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:16:27 am by CCL
VWG, holding you in the light, I am so sorry. 

Sewing was my salvation when my mother died (quite suddenly, when I had just graduated college). I sewed every day for months - it let me feel connected to her and helped me with my grieving.

Re: Pendleton jacket.
It was actually Theresa in Tucson who spotted the pattern in a post on bluemooney's blog...Like you, I was so excited to see it.  Called Pendleton and ordered it immediately.  It came pretty fast even though I am on the East Coast, couple of days, I think?

Thank you for the idea of seam finishes; Gram's are just turned and stitched.  I am also thinking of removing the buttons from it and the old Pendelton label and putting them on/in the new jacket.   With you, me and Marcia's wanting to try it...maybe we should start a 49'er jacket topic in this thread as well - what do you all think?   Is the conversation about it interesting enough to others here, or would it be better to start its own topic?

I will try to get photos and post.  I literally wore it out - in addition Gram's years of hard wear - it's pretty battered.  Then the moths finished it off.  I kept it because I always wanted to trace it off and make another.

sewsy

My condolences for your loss, VWG. What a lovely testament to your parents love for one another.

VWG

My folks didn't want services so the condolences and pausing to indulge in a sewing reflection allows me to honor memories with a little story. Thank you for the space.

I'm happy to participate here or in a subset topic on the Pendleton jacket. Sewing organizes me in a defined, simple way and I know the stitching will soothe me. A bit of Pendleton fabric shipped with the pattern---sewing with beautiful textiles brings me such joy--and sewing in community would help anchor me when loss casts one adrift.

At first glance: the design of a pocket piece surprised me--a long folded shape which makes the pocket doubled in fabric.  Is that post war exuberance with fabric?

warpjr1965

VWG please add my condolences to the others. I'll be thinking of you.
Wendy

indigotiger

VWG - my condolences on your loss, and may sewing bring you the consolation you hope for. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your world, and their love
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn