• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 11, 2019, 03:34:43 pm

News:

The gallery still isn't working right now.  I'm working on it.

The Guidelines, deadlines and such stuff

Started by CCL, October 17, 2019, 07:07:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CCL

October 17, 2019, 07:07:59 am Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:49:26 am by CCL
Dear Stitchers' Guild Friends:

I am posting the Guidelines for the Pre-2020 SWAP jacket challenge.

There are two separate categories - Beginner to Intermediate and Intermediate to Advanced.  More thoughts about how you might decide which category you want to enter into are listed at the end of this message.  The important thing is that there'd be two "winners."

The Challenge:
Make a garment that can be worn as a jacket (long or short) between October 15th and December 26th 2019.  The jacket can be for anyone above age 14 years - so it can be for yourself, your guy, your son, a friend, your sister, a daughter.  Other items I think should qualify are: boleros, shirt jackets, coats. I am also thinking this might even include Sewsy's coat dress, if it opens fully.

The jacket must incorporate one thing new to you.  This could be a new type of fabric - if you have never sewn velvet and you want to make a velvet smoking jacket, velvet could be the new "thing."  It could be a pattern you've never made before - such as this kimono pattern that I have in my stash and would love to make :eyelashes:

or a technique that you haven't attempted - such as welt pockets, underlining, invisible zipper installation -  the idea is really to grow your skills - so whatever the new thing is, it will probably involve some practice or a muslin.

The Timeframe:
This is a pre-SWAP sew, so the start date was Oct. 15th 2019 and the final date for sewing is December 26th, 2019.  We can vote while munching on holiday cookies.  Final details of voting still to be worked out.

Submitting your entry.
Three photos (Front, Back, and Side) of the finished garment on the intended recipient (this may cause some difficulties if one is sewing for someone at considerable distance).  DragonLady will be helping set this up - but ideally we did for last year's Pre-SWAP 2018 Dress Challenge.  Stay tuned for the details.

More about The Categories:
I think the skill level determinations last year worked reasonably well.  You need to self categorize using the following suggestions: If you can check off all five of the major bullets below, then you can self-define as Intermediate to Advanced and enter in that category. If you cannot check off all five, then you can self-define as Beginner to Intermediate.  It would be up to each entrant to decide, so this list is offered as a guideline.  Maybe next year we can add an Advanced to Expert category, but I thought that again for this year, we could create some more level playing ground.
  • Made over 50 garments
  • Made more than 3 of the following types of garments:
    • Jacket
    • Shirt with stand and front band
    • Coat
    • Fitted dress
    • Pants with fly front zipper
    • Lined garment
  • Sewn garments out of more than 3 of the following:
    • Lace
    • Leather or faux suede
    • Chiffon
    • Silk Duponi
    • Boucle
    • Wool coating
    • Fake or real fur
    • Taffeta
    • Satin
  • Successfully used more than 4 of the following techniques:
    • Invisible zipper
    • Hong Kong seams
    • Welt pockets
    • Underlining
    • Bias binding for neck or armhole finish
    • Set in sleeves
    • Bound or hand made buttonholes
    • Calculated for turn of the cloth
  • Used at least 3 of the following hand stitches
    • Slip stitch
    • Back stitch
    • Catch stitch
    • Pad stitch
    • Whip stitch
    • Blanket stitch

Questions about the Guidelines?  Post them here or in the other thread, I will try to check in.  Most of all, I would like this to be fun for folks and give us an excuse to develop our skills - and also to encourage the newer sewers by having the two categories.

Finally, MODs, if I didn't do this correctly, please move my post to where is more appropriate or make other corrections as necessary.

stephaniecan

Hi CCL,
Just a quick reaction. I would clearly land in the intermediate to advanced category, as I have done just about everything in each of the categories except one (the one with the different fabric types). This is only because I have a particular bias towards natural fibres and classic dressing, live in a cold country and never go to fancy events! I suspect that the categories might be slightly stringent and will push most people into the beginner to intermediate. I know they are offered as guidelines so I will feel free to self-identify!

CCL

Hi Stephaniecan!  Good point. 

Maybe next year we can have three levels.  My original thought last year was to level the playing field a little for beginners/intermediate folks who loved to sew but maybe were a little shy about being lumped in with some very experienced sewists. 

But like you, I continue to struggle with that Intermediate to Advanced grouping and often thought of separating out Advanced into a third category.  I have resisted my impulse so far because (1) I am not sure I can sponsor a third "prize"; (2) but more importantly, I am not sure how many of us would feel comfortable classifying ourselves as Advanced, though I am sure we'd classify our Stitchers' Guild friends that way (here's looking at you, IndigoTiger and Fzxdoc - among many others I could name).   Personally, I wouldn't ever classify myself as advanced.

I want it to be fun, so I think everyone should categorize themselves where they feel they are... I guffawed last year when IndigoTiger struggled a bit between the two categories because to me, she's clearly on the high end, but really, it's up to you.

Sew Ruthie Sews

I'm definitely the beginner side of intermediate because although I sew a lot of things they are pretty simple makes, lots of elastic waists, knits and stretch wovens.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

indigotiger

I'm hoping to use this challenge and SWAP to encourage myself to try and learn some techniques I have never done. Maybe welt pockets, or Hong Kong seam finishing... the things I do know how to do, I have loads of experience with, but there are a lot of things I have never done (or done once and said "never again"!)
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

stephaniecan

CCL: That makes perfect sense. If you do decide to split categories at some point, I'd be happy to sponsor the prize. That said, your logic makes perfect sense as I doubt that many people would want to self-style as advanced! I wouldn't. :) Intermediate provides a nice buffer.

CCL

Quote from: stephaniecan on October 30, 2019, 06:59:31 pmCCL: That said, your logic makes perfect sense as I doubt that many people would want to self-style as advanced! I wouldn't. :) Intermediate provides a nice buffer

Oh, I so truly agree!!!
...I have so many holes in my skill sets... I have never used a serger, just recently started sewing knits, could never do the Alabama chanin stuff, don't do any of the cool embellishment that SDBev does...the list goes on!  But I do enjoy trying to get better...and am really pleased when I can see improvement. Right there with you.