• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
November 18, 2019, 05:44:53 pm

News:

To reply to a private message, you must login to the forums and use the messaging system.  If you attempt to answer the email notification, it just bounces to me.

Pre-rules discussion SWAP 2020

Started by indigotiger, October 07, 2019, 04:10:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

Melinda asked:
Quoteis there an actual date that the rules are posted?  Or just sometime between now and December?
I checked back with when the rules have been posted in the past, and an overwhelming majority are posted between October 29 and November 6. So that is when I will be planning to put the rules up for 2020.

Susan commented:
QuoteI remember the first SWAP I tried which was basically 4 bottoms, 6 tops that went with all the bottoms, and a jacket that went with everything.
just for fun I went back and looked at my own earliest SWAP, from 2005, which also met those critera:
I remember how much I struggled to get the "jean jacket" pattern to fit me. It took five toiles to make the pattern alterations to get the shoulders and armscye shapes to match the disparity between my very narrow shoulder width and my far too bodacious bosom! That aside, the wardrobe I made that year was one where every single top could be worn with any of the four bottoms, and the jean jacket could be worn over any of them. My goal that year was to make a casual transition season wardrobe, and it was very successful. All those pieces were worn frequently until they were too worn out to be mended, which took a few years
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Sew Ruthie Sews

On the fabric co-ordination I side I offer several possible approaches

1 - keep the print to one garment type, e.g tops in various different print knits, everything else a plain solid colour which picks out the colours of the tops.

2 - have one print (and potentially one plaid/tweed/boucle) which have multiple colours then have everything else in a plain colour found in the print/tweed, but then can use the print/tweed in different garments e.g. skirt and blouse or jacket and trousers.

3 - buy a long length of fabric and make a 6 yard wardrobe then add other pieces to co-ordinate.
Kate Mathews' "6 yard wardrobe" : jacket, dress, skirt, pants from 6 yards of the same fabric. This idea comes from her book "Sewing a Travel Wardrobe".

4 - sew a core four (Nancy Nix Rice) top, layer, 2 bottoms all in the same colourway (not necessarily the same fabric length) as a base
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Lisa Laree

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on October 11, 2019, 12:51:27 amLisa's made it even harder! The original SWAP was only 11 pieces (not 13) but they were specific
LOL!  I realized I typed in the wrong number when I logged back in...after being away for the weekend.  Yeah, it was eleven.  Egg on face.

Noum

3x3 + 2

I've been exploring a system that recommends thinking in head to toe outfits instead of separate recombinable pieces, and I'm finding that it ensures that I wear what I make often. The idea is that you first imagine and describe a situation you can find yourself in, including how you want to feel and what impression you want to give. Then you imagine an outfit that would be appropriate, including the accessories that make it complete.

What I would propose for rules would be a 3x3 + 2. After describing a situation in this way, you create an outfit that has at least 3 components. In total there would be 3 3-piece outfits and 2 wildcards that can either stand on their own or be combined with the other outfits. You could use 3 different situations with different needs, or create more than one outfit for the same kind of situation.

I know that accessories have traditionally been excluded from the SWAP, but as their play such a large role in pulling an outfit together, I think they should be allowed, and it would make it pretty easy to create a stunning outfit by adding a hat, or scarf or bag that coordinates with your garments. If it's useful to your wardrobe, uses fabric and requires sewing, it counts! Plus, it would be a fun change for people who want to do this, but if someone is not interested they can just make more garments.

If the elements of your outfits can be recombined it's great, but I wouldn't make it an absolute requirement. Maybe that way it can encourage us to try something we haven't tried before, and become more stylish in the process!

You could include some color rules that make it look like a collection, like using at least one neutral element in each outfit and have that neutral be the same for all outfits, or have an overall palettes that works together even if the individual outfit pieces don't all work together, but overallI would just focus on creating at least 3 outfits that make us feel confident, beautiful, or whatever floats your boat.

indigotiger

Noum - I will add your comments to my list of ideas to think about. The model you are describing is basically what was chosen for SWAP 2014 aka Blue Mooney's "Algebra SWAP". Many of the strategies you describe can work for a number of different types of SWAP rules; that (3x3)+2 is one way to organise wardrobe sewing, if it works for your climate and lifestyle. Indeed, that is one of the great challenges of figuring out the SWAP rules - since we all live in different places around the world, with very different climates, different levels of formality, and different wardrobe needs, it is quite challenging to come up with rules that are flexible enough to suit everyone.

I am sure that while I will do my best to come up with guidelines to try and take all those things into account, that each and every one here will then have questions and aspects you want to change. How do I know: I've seen it every year, myself included!

As far as allowing "accessories", while there is no reason to not use accessories when photographing for SWAP, the focus of Sewing With A Plan has always been on garments, as they are the basic building blocks of a wardrobe (the "cake" as it were, for which the accessories are the "frosting"). Also, as someone who personally sews a number of my own accessories such as hats and bags, I also know that accessories are a lot faster to make than garments, and require significantly less in the way of "fitting".

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Noum

Thank you for considering my suggestions Indigotiger! I looked at the rules for 2014 and it is indeed pretty much the same thing. I would like to argue in favour of accessories nevertheless, as they don't always take less time than garments. A one seam knit skirt would not take much longer and possibly less time than a simple scarf with a nice rolled hem. Some bags are very involved and take as much time as a pair of pants or a fitted shirt. A felted hat would also take a lot of time. Knitting a scarf is way more involved than sewing a pair of leggings or a t-shirt.

In most SWAPs that I've seen, there were 1-2 slots that could be filled by previously sewn or purchased items. Maybe allowing 1-2 accessories instead of previously sewn or purchased would not be such a different thing? I don't think that many people would choose that option, but it would be nice to have it. So a maximum of 2 items could be a) purchased (max 1) b) previously sewn (max 1) c)sewn accessories (max 2). This would also make a 3x3 formula easier to apply in warmer climates that don't need much layering but still want to find ways to look pulled together.

I'd be curious to hear what other people have to say about this. I'm returning to sewing a lot more after a few years of hardly any sewing, and I find myself aiming for a completely self sewn wardrobe including accessories, so obviously I'd be excited to be able to include this in the SWAP, but sewing accessories is a completely new area for me.

Grasshopper

Quote from: indigotiger on October 14, 2019, 02:55:49 pmSusan commented:
Quote from: undefinedI remember the first SWAP I tried which was basically 4 bottoms, 6 tops that went with all the bottoms, and a jacket that went with everything.

just for fun I went back and looked at my own earliest SWAP, from 2005, which also met those critera:
I remember how much I struggled to get the "jean jacket" pattern to fit me. It took five toiles to make the pattern alterations to get the shoulders and armscye shapes to match the disparity between my very narrow shoulder width and my far too bodacious bosom! That aside, the wardrobe I made that year was one where every single top could be worn with any of the four bottoms, and the jean jacket could be worn over any of them. My goal that year was to make a casual transition season wardrobe, and it was very successful. All those pieces were worn frequently until they were too worn out to be mended, which took a few years

I actually really like the idea of doing a SWAP where every top goes with every bottom.  This is always in the back of my mind, but it seldom happens in real life.  As you have indicated, Indigotiger, pieces do get worn a lot more when they interchange easily within the wardrobe.  I also really appreciate the encouragement to take the time to assess wardrobe gaps prior to planning for SWAP.  I just went on a couple of job interviews and figuring out what to wear from my current closet was a little tricky.  Clearly, I need some more dressy pieces.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

sdBev

Quote from: Grasshopper on October 15, 2019, 08:40:09 am...

I actually really like the idea of doing a SWAP where every top goes with every bottom.  This is always in the back of my mind, but it seldom happens in real life.  ...

You have to be really disciplined. Also disciplined about replacing those pieces as they become worn. It is a challenge that will reward you with a wardrobe that meets your lifestyle needs.
No more CHEMO! Working on recovering from the cancer, chemo and long period of restricted activity with unrestricted eating. Periodic updates with more detail will be on my site.  Www.sdbev.wordpress.com

Joyce P

Note, too, that part of the discipline involved regards fabric purchasing! If you want to make your SWAP garments 'from stash' the Everything with Everything approach could be difficult.

That said, it's an attractive concept. I'm just not sure of my discipline level  ::)

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: Joyce P on October 15, 2019, 05:04:10 pmNote, too, that part of the discipline involved regards fabric purchasing! If you want to make your SWAP garments 'from stash' the Everything with Everything approach could be difficult.

That said, it's an attractive concept. I'm just not sure of my discipline level  ::)

Even if our budgets allowed it, most of us don't live close enough to a real fabric store where we could go and purchase 11 garments worth of coordinated fabrics at one time.  I am fairly disciplined in my fabric purchasing so I may be able to do a SWAP from stash.  If I do need to purchase something, that would be a challenge as my online purchasing skills are deficient.

While I don't want to prepare kits of cut out and prepped garments, I would definitely want to have all my fabrics in hand before I started my SWAP.  In some respects, I really do enjoy the planning -- perhaps more than the making, or at least the fitting.

Sew Ruthie Sews

I also like the appeal of every top goes with every bottom, as it gives options when getting dressed.
My stash is quite large and I have a couple of local options to buy fabrics in person (though rather variable).
In some colourways existing fabric resources are plentiful :-)
I could sew a wardrobe of black basics with red highlights/prints no problem. Ditto navy, dark brown, teal, burgundy.
I've also bought a few fabrics which incorporate multiple colours e.g tweeds etc with SWAP in mind.
So bring it on.

@Susan in Saint John I love the planning too!

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Joyce P

I think I've excelled at planning for most of the years-o-SWAP  ::)

My follow-through with actual sewing can be counted on one hand and my completed SWAPs don't take any hand at all to count  ;D

But my stash is in good shape and, like Ruthie, I could sew quite a lot using a black base! Or navy. Or even red, if I'd consider red linen slacks - festive holiday sewing!

I'm already noodling around with a plan for our holiday trip to Georgia, where it won't be very cold and where my BIL traditionally keeps the house "hotter than the hinges of hell" as my late friend Edna would say. Layers, layers. No handy turtlenecks a la The Vivienne Files, either! Probably Sewing Workshop or Cutting Line tops, as they can be "airy". I have to spend time considering my silhouette if using those tops, as I'm short-ish and stout. My ASG friends can help with this, as can my camera.

Love the planning!! Although I am realizing that my Holiday in the South wardrobe can't be SWAP, as it has to be completed for me by Dec 22 ;-) More planning to come!

JenSaCan

This is exciting!! I've always loved the challenge of SWAP. Though I've never finished, each time I participated I came away with a few much needed additions to my wardrobe.
As far as rules go, I'm open to try anything, though it would be nice to have the option to include a dress or two. I love sewing and wearing dresses.
I've been back sewing for a few months now and have been working on getting the fit right for a sleeveless blouse pattern, so that will likely get featured in a few versions. I need to reduce my stash in a big way and have organized it by colour, so it makes it much easier to coordinate and pick fabrics.

indigotiger

Susan wrote:
QuoteI really do enjoy the planning -- perhaps more than the making, or at least the fitting.
... and apparently she speaks for a number of us, certainly I feel that way! That is part of what I am currently enjoying about coming up with the rules for SWAP 2020, in that I need to do a LOT of planning to try and figure out rules that will work for various sorts of wardrobes and styles (as opposed to what I usually do to figure out how to adapt "the rules" to my own quirky personal wardrobe needs). I am glad to read that people are starting to look at their current clothing and think about what will be useful to fill gaps or to take care of a previously unmet need, such as a vacation/travel wardrobe, or refurbished professional clothing, or simply replacing now worn out favorites.

For those of you interested in wardrobe planning -

Janice over at the Vivienne Files has been posting her Weekly Timeless Wardrobe posts, which gradually build into a wardrobe that is very SWAP friendly. In addition, this past week she posted her year-long plan for the timeless wardrobe posts, which seems to me to be a good potential guideline for someone either uncertain about what components might work well together, or curious about what might be some possible wardrobe gaps and how to fill them.

and Lisanne shared a link to Threads article that seems also to be of use for those planning to SWAP, the article discusses Nancy Nix-Rice's ideas of how to choose the most flattering print fabrics, based on colors, warmth/coolness, print scale and shape, and how those interact with each person. I found the article helpful in explaining why some of my beloved print fabrics look better than others, when I am wearing them...

Sew Ruthie Sews

Earlier in the year I made a jacket for the second round of PR Sewing Bee. I didn't progress further in the contest, but was pleased with my garment. However I don't actually wear it much.

I have a whole bunch of co-ordinating fabrics so it would be fun to make it into a SWAP.
I used 3 fabrics in the jacket (and 2 for the lining) and have more of all 3 of those fabrics, plus prints and other plains.
I do need to wear red lipstick with it but it is in my colour palette (just)
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

marciae

Quote from: indigotiger on October 14, 2019, 10:31:19 pmNoum -
As far as allowing "accessories", while there is no reason to not use accessories when photographing for SWAP, the focus of Sewing With A Plan has always been on garments, as they are the basic building blocks of a wardrobe (the "cake" as it were, for which the accessories are the "frosting"). Also, as someone who personally sews a number of my own accessories such as hats and bags, I also know that accessories are a lot faster to make than garments, and require significantly less in the way of "fitting".

I have to agree with Indigotiger about the accessories.  Well stated.  I've never joined a SWAP and don't intend to.  I do, However, follow closely, get inspired and order every new pattern that I see!  I've been sewing "forever".  Accessories add a 'touch' to an outfit.  But, you can wear an outfit without accessories.  You can not (or shouldn't!!) use accessories without the clothes. :D

Joyce P

Ruthie, that bee-you-tiful jacket would make a lovely jumping off point for SWAP! And then you'd have the opportunity to wear it more often, although I can see the challenge in doing so. It's so special that maybe you think it could only be worn for special occasions? I would have that hurdle to jump.

But planning a work-wear, or a going-out-to-dinner-wear SWAP might help the jacket fit in with the closet cousins!

indigotiger

Ruthie - I'd love to see you include that stunning jacket as part of your future SWAP, particularly as you have coordinating fabrics.

I'm still mulling over my own possible SWAP directions (once I have the rules in their final form, which I am still working on) I'm pretty sure I will be including grey in my SWAP wardrobe this year, since it has been several years since I began craving a replacement grey pinafore. With the thought of grey in mind, I have been playing around with a potential "funky" cardigan jacket in an assortment of grey scrap knits and silks. Not sure where I am going with that one, and hopefully it will turn out wearable!

Susan in Saint John

Ruthie, your jacket is lovely and just the piece to pull a SWAP together.  So often there are pieces of fabric left when you cut something out.  With some advance planning, I could cut jacket pieces at the same time -- more planning.

Sew Ruthie Sews

The jacket might be just the starting point for a SWAP. It could be the inspiration and be worn with some of the pieces but not actually part of the collection.
I have a few black and red fabrics and the more my hair goes grey the less well they work for me, so the time is now to make and wear them I feel! Lots of red lipstick helps :-)
I'm getting excited, just need to keep the excitement going through to next year!
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

sdBev

Ruthie
I follow blog where the author recently said nearly the same thing. Her's was red lipstick and bright colored glasses.
No more CHEMO! Working on recovering from the cancer, chemo and long period of restricted activity with unrestricted eating. Periodic updates with more detail will be on my site.  Www.sdbev.wordpress.com

Sew Ruthie Sews

I have got distracted by the possibilities of a maybe SWAP and pulled out lots of red/black based pieces which I can imagine as various different garments. I have already developed an outline plan which contains 17 pieces including a coat, a silk blouse, jeans, trousers, a long skirt and all sorts of other things. Need to remind myself SWAP doesn't start for over 2 months. (and even when it does its not a very realistic plan, even for me)

This is not helping my current sewing queue which involves a pink knit top, and lots of mending and alteration type jobs.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

indigotiger

QuoteNeed to remind myself SWAP doesn't start for over 2 months. (and even when it does its not a very realistic plan, even for me) ... This is not helping my current sewing queue
My suggestion, if you like and enjoy the red and black jacket, would be to at the very least plan a 6PAC around it, and then if you feel like taking it further, it may be possible to drop some of that sewing into SWAP...

I love the planning aspect of SWAP almost more than the sewing. I don't think that I am giving anything away by declaring that this years rules will not require 17 items! Over the years, though, even when I don't finish a SWAP, I've found that sewing coordinated pieces makes a huge difference in how easy it is to get dressed every day. Not that I need to remind Ruthie of that, since she is the queen of coordination in my book!

Sew Ruthie Sews

Aww thanks for the compliment :-)

Quote from: indigotiger on October 21, 2019, 09:41:11 pmMy suggestion, if you like and enjoy the red and black jacket, would be to at the very least plan a 6PAC around it, and then if you feel like taking it further, it may be possible to drop some of that sewing into SWAP...

I think you are definitely onto something there Alison, and I've got enough ideas to still sew an entire SWAP afterwards if necessary/desired/inspired!
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Grasshopper

Popping in to say that I am getting antsy to see the rules!!!  :)) I just received a job offer from my interviews and am thinking about what type of clothes will best suit my new work environment, an equipment manufacturing facility.  I expect to be switching back and forth from an office to being out on the shop floor multiple times daily, so I'm thinking that the "Rugged Chic" addendum to my style recipe will likely be the best fit.  Skirts and dresses won't likely be the best options and I will need to wear closed-toe shoes that I can change out with my steel-toed boots quickly, so casual trousers or jeans will probably be best.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

indigotiger

Congratulations Lyneisa, on your new job! If all goes well I should have the rules ready by the end of next week, so you won't have that long to wait. I've been pretty busy with finishing up a huge sewing commission lately, and putting together a slide presentation on the History of Vitreous Enameling, but both of those projects are either complete or almost there, so I can focus on my personal sewing, and planning for SWAP...

Lisanne

October 25, 2019, 02:09:55 am #61 Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:13:47 am by Lisanne
Quote from: Grasshopper on October 24, 2019, 03:39:09 pmSkirts and dresses won't likely be the best options

Well done on your new job  ;D
I can remember visiting factories in the 60s, walking up and down the sort of metal staircases and walkways which have many holes in them, in the days before it was acceptable for women to wear pants, and pantyhose hadn't yet been invented either. . .  :(   (the working women could wear overalls, but not senior women !)
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Sew Ruthie Sews

Congrats on the new job @Grasshopper.

I've pulled out lots of possible fabrics for the black/red concept plus added a few more. Of course not all reds are the same but I do have plenty of options.
If I needed a print to base everything round then the lovely printed silk in black, red, dark red, grey and white I unearthed would be great.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Grasshopper

October 25, 2019, 06:54:31 am #63 Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:58:40 am by Grasshopper
Quote from: Lisanne on October 25, 2019, 02:09:55 amI can remember visiting factories in the 60s, walking up and down the sort of metal staircases and walkways which have many holes in them, in the days before it was acceptable for women to wear pants, and pantyhose hadn't yet been invented either. . .  :(  (the working women could wear overalls, but not senior women !)

Yes, grating is terrible to walk on with dress shoes!  Thankfully, companies have taken better notice of safety concerns in work environments and more practical clothing is now acceptable and even required.  My current job is at a chemical plant and my office is located in the main office building, so while I do sometimes have to go out into the plant, it isn't every day and we have fire retardant clothing that we have to change into or put on over our clothes when we go out into the plant area.  I have been able to ride the line between sometimes wearing dressier clothes, such as dress slacks and skirts with heels, and casual jeans outfits, which has made it difficult to really pin down a signature work style.  Now, my new job is actually forcing me to choose one primary level of dress for work, which should help a lot with wardrobe planning.  I do still want to sew some dressier pieces and maybe create some small collections similar to @Sew Ruthie Sews, possibly around existing pieces in the closet to help get more mileage out of them.  These clothes would work well for church, date nights, company events, or the occasional sales trips to client office locations.  But, for SWAP 2020, I think I want to focus on creating an every day collection for my new job.  And, thank you to everyone for the congrats and well wishes!  I've been wanting to make a change for awhile and this will be an amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth.

And no pressure @indigotiger!  Take all the time you need to create the rules!
Lyneisa

Lisanne

Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Sew Ruthie Sews

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

stephaniecan

October 28, 2019, 11:13:49 am #66 Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:19:19 pm by stephaniecan
Ahh..indigotiger will make a wonderful co-ordinator!

I think I am going to sit SWAP out this year as am trying to reinvigorate my sewing with some special projects. I think I'll have a higher probability of success if I don't try to mash my desires into the rules. I will be cheering everyone on from the sidelines though!

Lisanne - Your story reminded me of a tour I took of our Parliament years ago. There is a stunning library in which women were not allowed to work for many decades as the stairs to the stacks were glass-bottomed, I believe, and since women were expected to wear skirts...Always struck me as ridiculous!

Congrats on the job, Grasshopper. I remember that Burda did a neat spread on factory-inspired clothes years ago. Will have to look up the issue but many of the items were really cool and I loved the use of traditional work wear fabrics to make feminine pieces: canvas, moleskin, etc.

stephaniecan

PS Ruthie, Your jacket is gorgeous! Love the mix of fabrics.

indigotiger

Thanks Lisanne for the link to that article. While I don't agree* with all the "rules" that blogger set out, I do like her idea "#5 Act As If" ... When in doubt, my most effective print mixing trick (and one every woman has at her disposal) is to act as if my outfit works" To me the most important thing about my sewing garments is to feel like what I make works for me, for it to feel comfortable both physically and stylistically.

stephaniecan - I totally understand about not wanting to "mash my desires into the rules"! That is usually the most difficult thing for me each year about committing to SWAP. I'm hoping, this year, that the rules I put together will ameliorate that as much as possible...

CCL

Quote from: stephaniecan on October 28, 2019, 11:13:49 amAhh..indigotiger will make a wonderful co-ordinator!

I think I am going to sit SWAP out this year as am trying to reinvigorate my sewing with some special projects. I think I'll have a higher probability of success if I don't try to mash my desires into the rules. I will be cheering everyone on from the sidelines though!

I think I will probably be in the same boat as you, Stephaniecan.  I have a lot of one-offs on my to-do project list - lots of jackets to finish off outfits, dresses, etc. made previously.  But I know I will enjoy watching everyone else's planning and progress.  So I will probably be right beside you on the sidelines, cheering.