• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 13, 2019, 06:43:41 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Pre-rules discussion SWAP 2020

Started by indigotiger, October 07, 2019, 04:10:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

thought I would dip my toes in the SWAP water and start the discussion, since I am already thinking about what I need/want to sew, and hoping that there will be a way to intersect that with whatever the rules turn out to be. There are some gaps in my current wardrobe that it would be good to take care of, (and sort of cogitating if I want to volunteer to be the coordinator? which would be one way to get rules I could work with ::) )
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

CCL

Quote from: indigotiger on October 07, 2019, 04:10:30 pm(and sort of cogitating if I want to volunteer to be the coordinator? which would be one way to get rules I could work with ::) )

That would lovely!

warpjr1965

So excited for SWAP!  I have a number of ideas, and things I could add to a SWAP plan. Indigotiger I think it would be fabulous to have you as coordinator, if you choose to put your hat in the ring.

I loved the last few years with Mudcat, (are you considering volunteering again?)

I don't want to get too far ahead in my planning or expectations until I know the rules, but I have 4 very specific garments i'd like to add to my wardrobe. 3 would be new to me and would definitely stretch me!
Wendy

Joyce P

I've just started thinking about SWAP, too. Keep in mind that "thinking about" is usually the extent of my participation  :embarassed: BUT... I have an ASG neighborhood group meeting coming up on Monday, and I'm the facilitator. I try to throw a topic out there for initial discussion and this month it's going to be our very on SG SWAP. I'll include other sew-alongs, contests, and the like, but SWAP is the focus. I'll use 2019 as the example.

Indigotiger, I think you would be an awesome coordinator. As a long-time participant, you have a feel for what's involved and I think that's important. Mudcat had that experience, too, and gets a big THANK YOU from me for her service.

indigotiger

so, I'm going to be SWAP coordinator, and I have some ideas about how I want to structure this upcoming SWAP. I am curious to hear what people have been wishing for as far as future SWAP's...

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Melinda_B

Quote from: Joyce P on October 08, 2019, 03:34:33 pmI've just started thinking about SWAP, too. Keep in mind that "thinking about" is usually the extent of my participation  :embarassed:

I usually get to the planning stage, but something always seems to happen to derail.  Although to be honest, I haven't done much sewing at all this year.  Some running shorts, and that's it.  Unfortunately I've kept right on buying fabric though.....
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Sew Ruthie Sews

@indigotiger well done for stepping up as the SWAP coordinator.

I've carried on doing my 6PAC+ sewing the whole time anyway. I mostly wear three pieces, top, trousers and layer (with a coat on the top for 8 months of the year).
I found the year we had to have 2 neutrals quite hard as my 'formula' is one dark neutral and one (or two colours) in an outfit. I also like to wear coloured neutrals like dark teal, dark purple etc

I've moved jobs within the same company and now have less need for suits etc as I don't go to meetings much in person. I've made a small effort to have some dressy garments for weddings and so on, and continue to need black for choir performances.

My clothing cupboard and fabric cupboard are both stuffed. Though I have noticed some of my favourite basics have got quite tired and need to be replaced. And work, casual and dressy clothes are all mixed up with different seasons - a good wardrobe sort out would be helpful.

I have settled more on a colour scheme set that I use over and over - navy, teal, sage, brown, burgundy,  eggplant, soft pinks

So I suppose a set of SWAP rules that is
- not too complicated
- doesn't have requirements to sew something I won't wear
- gives a collection/wardrobe feeling that works with my personal style, colouring and life
- pushes me a bit in an area without being Too Hard

for me sewing is fun and having my own sewn clothing is an important expression of who I am. So I want to enhance that and have gentle encouragement to stretch slightly with it being another stressor in life.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

warpjr1965

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on October 09, 2019, 11:03:09 amSo I suppose a set of SWAP rules that is
- not too complicated
- doesn't have requirements to sew something I won't wear
- gives a collection/wardrobe feeling that works with my personal style, colouring and life
- pushes me a bit in an area without being Too Hard

for me sewing is fun and having my own sewn clothing is an important expression of who I am. So I want to enhance that and have gentle encouragement to stretch slightly with it being another stressor in life.

Yes! I agree with this sentiment. I would like some sort of requirement for a new technique, pattern, or fabric perhaps. Also some nod to creativity, although I'd have to think about what that might mean as sewing is already a creative endeavor.

I do like the idea of a group of like items, or even a uniform concept.

I don't particularly like color requirements either, so last year's inspiration starting point was a tough one for me. (although it was actually one of my better collections!)
Wendy

indigotiger

I just listened to this "Sewing With Threads" podcast while I was washing up the dishes here at Acorn Cottage... They interview Nancy Nix-Rice on the topic of "Create a Wardrobe That Works for You" and found it to have a number of hints and concepts, particularly about choosing color and prints, that might be be useful to anyone planning a SWAP.

sharonspils

I listened to that podcast the other morning as well indigotiger and I agree about the hints and concepts.  I need to shop my stash for a print and see what I can come up with.  I thought I had a good print already but after a couple of washes it looks like it has been worn for years  >:(

As usual my wardrobe is pretty bare and a lot of my tops need replacing as the spandex is not there any more for my winter tops and summer tops just didn't get started last year. 

I'm not too sure about a not to creativity as you said that is sewing in itself.

I am really looking forward to the rules this year as I hope to have the time to sew along this year.

MsSindy

Yeah for SWAP 2020!  I usually am able to get a couple of things in my plan sewn, but the number of garments is a lot to sew... unless you're just doing simple items or TNTs.  Work and travel look like they will cooperate this year so I should be able to participate fully.  Here's some of the rules I might like:
 - Pull something from your existing wardrobe
 - 1 item could be an accessory (scarf, bag, belt, necklace, brooch, gloves, hat, dickie, removable collars) - this lightens the load on the # of garments, but still adds something to pull an outfit together
 - try a new technique or embellishment might be fun
 - I can easily use skirts/dresses/tops/outer-layers, so they all work for me, no preference

So excited for this!

Helen M

Looking forward to seeing the rules, I don't participate but you never know I might try to play along and see this time. Love reading everyone's plans!
Sewing in Cheshire

Grasshopper

October 10, 2019, 12:08:09 pm #12 Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:31:41 pm by Grasshopper
@indigotiger, I am so glad you volunteered to be coordinator this year!

I've been thinking about SWAP 2020 for months now, so I was excited to pop over here today and see that the discussion has started.  For me, I tend to prefer dressing in a formula of neutral/print/color or neutral/color 1/color 2.  My work and home lives can both be casual, although I try to dress up my jeans at work with pretty blouses and heels.  And I wear dressier clothing to church.  Though I have never completed a SWAP, the one year I was able to put together a plan of patterns and fabric that actually worked together easily was SWAP 2017, so I need to go back and review that year's rules for why that was the case.  Usually if I am restricted on number of prints, fabrics, or colors, I start feeling very antsy and can't successfully move forward, but I do think a cohesive color scheme is necessary.  I liked the inspiration piece idea last year, but I also like the idea of using a Style Recipe, as Imogen Lamport advises, so something like that might be fun.  I would prefer some flexibility in the number of each type of garment to make (tops, bottoms, outer/layers) and I also would like the ability to make a dress (most likely a silhouette that I could choose to wear a top under or not, like a jumper or pinafore).

With my job, parenting a teenager, and building a homestead taking the majority of my energy, I am in favor of simple this year... simple rules and simple patterns (ideally repeated for TNT value).  Otherwise, it just won't get done.  Stretching myself by adding some different embellishment to a garment or two or maybe sewing one lined, tailored item is doable, but that's really about as far as I feel like going in stretching myself right now.  I love to sew, and especially lined, tailored garments, but I don't think I can fit it in to the schedule this year.

I don't envy the difficulty you may incur trying to incorporate everyone's different wants, needs, and preferences, but I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

treefrog

October 10, 2019, 04:56:16 pm #13 Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:07:52 pm by treefrog
Thanks @indigotiger for ptting your hand up to run the SWAP.  I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas.  I hope to listen to the podcast today; always interesting to see how other people put a wardrobe together.

If I could put in one wish, it would be to allow for hot climates.  This summer is looking like another shocker.

indigotiger

QuoteIt would be great to have the time to make muslins

I want to remind everyone who may be considering SWAP that it is always appropriate to do sewing-related prep prior to the actual start date, and that includes muslins. Do you have a garment that you have been hoping to include? If so, why not use the time prior to Dec 26th to work on turning that pattern into a TNT, and solve the difficulties ahead of time...

Lisa Laree

October 10, 2019, 07:02:10 pm #15 Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:09:05 pm by Lisa Laree
I never know how a year will go...sometimes I have time to participate, and sometimes there's just too much else on the plate.  But I'll throw this out...the whole point of SWAP, at least in the original Australian Stitches concept, was to plan and prep and then make a 13 piece capsule wardrobe in a couple of solid weekends of sewing.  We don't all have free weekends, so sometimes that stretches out, but I would still like to see the SWAP concept of doing a serious wardrobe boost by making basic TNT's in a concentrated bit of sewing...however that works for each person.  If we have someone who has LOTS of sewing time and can make a handsewn french jacket as part of their wardrobe, that's fantastic, but that's really not the point of SWAP, and we're comparing apples to oranges when we look at the couture wardrobe vs. the assembly line sewn wardrobe laid out by the original SWAP concept. Not sure what would be the best way to bridge that gap might be...

ETA...Thanks for taking on the challenge, Indigotiger!  You always have great comments on wardrobe sewing; looking forward to what you come up with!

indigotiger

For those of you who may be curious about the original "SWAP", it was based on an article "The Perfect Wardrobe" by Lynn Cook, in Australian Stitches magazine. Julie Timmel dubbed it "Sewing with a Plan" and sponsored the first few contests. SWAP then migrated over here, and has been a fixture every year since. Here is a link via The Wayback Machine to an article by Julie Timmel that references a lot of material about the original concept.

and, while looking that information up, I also found this article which talks about making a six piece wardrobe in a weekend!

I intend to keep sharing links here that may inspire someone, even if the styles and combinations are not to my personal taste. My own goal is to create a set of rules for the 2020 SWAP (which I have provisionally named "Your Perfect Vison", because "20-20") that will work both for those who prefer to sew and wear something similar to the original concept (very simple clothing using a minimum number of patterns and fabrics), as well as those who have a more elaborate or idiosyncratic approach to their wardrobe sewing.

After all, I just couldn't be okay with designing a SWAP where I myself would be disqualified by reason of my beloved pinafores! I will be continuing to think about how best to structure the 2020 rules, and I really appreciate the comments about what people find to be important to them, and what concerns they may have.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Lisa's made it even harder! The original SWAP was only 11 pieces (not 13) but they were specific
From the link Indigotiger provided.
QuoteStage One - make 11 garments. These are: 2 pairs of pants; 2 skirts, one in a solid colour, one in a print or check; 2 simple tops, one solid, one in the above print; 4 tops, in colours which coordinate with the solids; 1 simple cardigan jacket in a solid colour.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Joyce P

Thanks, indigotiger, for stepping forward and for leading this discussion.

Things I would/have liked for a SWAP:
  • unifying theme for color choices
  • using/developing TNT patterns
  • trying something new, such as a new type of fabric

At the moment, I'm inspired by today's (Oct 11) Vivienne Files. I "need" to plan a travel/family get-together wardrobe for the Christmas holidays and want to use this format for it. If it fits into a SWAP, so much the better. The "unifying theme" would be dark grey neutrals. The TNT might be knit t-shirt tops. Trying something new might be sewing velvet, or replicating the lovely Eileen Fisher coat in a more modestly priced fabric ;-) I need an "Oregon winter" coat anyway, and our holiday travel is to Georgia - so no heavy-duty coating/construction is required.

I also appreciate the thought behind the original SWAP, which was a "quick sew" approach. Thankfully, we will have more time!

Love these start-up discussions - everything's possible!!

ETA: I really like your provisional title of "Your Perfect Vision"!!

indigotiger

Joyce mentioned one of my favorite online resources:
Quote...inspired by today's (Oct 11) Vivienne Files.
I follow that blog, because although I don't wear the styles that Janice shows, her ability to find inspiration in a variety of ways, create beautiful and uncommon color schemes, and put together extremely wearable wardrobe capsules is brilliant and worth emulating. I noticed, as well, that the post today would be a good example of a theoretical SWAP, since it has eleven garments! For anyone seeking SWAP ideas, spending some time wandering around "The Vivienne Files" blog would be a valuable excursion

Lisanne

October 12, 2019, 03:21:21 am #20 Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:12:31 am by Lisanne
For those of you who, like me, prefer reading to listening to podcasts, Nancy Nix-Rice has a whole lot of good blog posts.  They also have good photos, which make the points very clearly.   See menu on right for links to her wardrobe plans (she even has posts with suggested patterns)
https://www.nancynixrice.com/color-consultation/
For videos - she has a class at Craftsy-Bluprint, and a DVD at Palmer-Pletsch, as well as a book 'Looking Good'.

At the moment I'm very much into starting with one basic pattern and thinking up many variations - and that has been my plan for at least the last couple of years.  But as usual, as I take a couple of months to make a 3-hour garment, I'm unlikely to take part in SWAP  :D
Well, perhaps things would speed up if I didn't always find myself doing some pattern work and trying out a new technique. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

warpjr1965

Such good stuff!

DD and I coincidentally have been reviewing our wardrobe, inspired by this podcast episode http://lovetosewpodcast.com/episodes/episode-108-create-your-dream-wardrobe/ .

It is similar of course to the Wardrobe Architect series https://blog.colettehq.com/wardrobe-architect. It was super fun to do with DD, and very helpful.  I understand why I struggle with SWAP plans. I have multiple different style personalities, partially born out by the very specific needs of my job, combined with my love of creative dressing and desire for comfort.

So whatever the rules are, I will have to resist the urge to "do it all" and stick with one unifying theme, which will probably include a few crossover items (basic pants, layering tees.)
Wendy

CCL

October 12, 2019, 01:02:39 pm #22 Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 02:49:54 pm by CCL
I probably have nothing to add of significance to the discussion.

I have completed three SWAPs.  The first one I tried to make the deadline and did so, but I must confess that there is only one garment from it that I continue to wear.  The second SWAP was devoted to clothes for Better Half and it took me two years to finish, but I am most proud of that set.  He wears everything from it, except the first pair of trousers which I admit weren't very good.  My third SWAP was loads of fun and took a year to complete.  So I definitely do not fit into the "sew a SWAP within a weekend" nor within the purpose of the original SWAPs. But that's okay - I am really mostly on the sidelines anyway!

That being said, what I enjoy the most is the camaraderie of having a bunch of sewing friends on a similar journey with whom I get to chatter and think about patterns, techniques and fabric.  So anything IndigoTiger you come up with is fine by me.  I enjoy the puzzle aspect that lets me organize projects/ fabrics that I want to do/use anyway.  I know that whatever you design will inspire me.

Plus I never really "enter" since I think I will always belong in the Slow Sewing SWAP category - which is just okydoky with me.

indigotiger

CCL wrote:
QuoteI think I will always belong in the Slow Sewing SWAP category - which is just okydoky with me.
... most years, that is me as well. While most all of my sewing is sewn-with-a-plan, I have only occasionally managed to complete a SWAP in the allotted time frame. For me it is more important that my clothing please me, suit my style, and integrate with my already existing garments than that I make a certain number of clothes in a particular time frame. And along the way over the years, I've learned more about what I actually wear, as opposed to what fits a SWAP requirement but stays in the closet or dresser drawers (multiple tee shirts I am looking at you, well actually not, since they never were worn and ended up in the giveaway pile) But, like CCL,
Quotewhat I enjoy the most is the camaraderie of having a bunch of sewing friends on a similar journey with whom I get to chatter and think about patterns, techniques and fabric

My hope is to come up with rules that will not leave anyone sewing wardrobe items just for SWAP that they never subsequently wear, that we all have fun and learn things along the journey, and that those who officially join and those who play along will all find what we do here to be useful

sharonspils

Well said indigotiger and I look forward to seeing what you have in mind for the Perfect Vision SWAP.

treefrog

I love your reasoning @indigotiger.  I'm looking forward to seeing your vision for the SWAP

Towanda

Quote from: indigotiger on October 12, 2019, 01:20:46 pmCCL wrote:
Quote from: undefinedI think I will always belong in the Slow Sewing SWAP category - which is just okydoky with me.
... most years, that is me as well. While most all of my sewing is sewn-with-a-plan, I have only occasionally managed to complete a SWAP in the allotted time frame. For me it is more important that my clothing please me, suit my style, and integrate with my already existing garments than that I make a certain number of clothes in a particular time frame. And along the way over the years, I've learned more about what I actually wear, as opposed to what fits a SWAP requirement but stays in the closet or dresser drawers (multiple tee shirts I am looking at you, well actually not, since they never were worn and ended up in the giveaway pile) But, like CCL,
Quote from: undefinedwhat I enjoy the most is the camaraderie of having a bunch of sewing friends on a similar journey with whom I get to chatter and think about patterns, techniques and fabric

My hope is to come up with rules that will not leave anyone sewing wardrobe items just for SWAP that they never subsequently wear, that we all have fun and learn things along the journey, and that those who officially join and those who play along will all find what we do here to be useful

I love your thought process.

I never finish because I get distracted by sewing other garments and run out of time. I did finish my collection last year several months later. I got hung up on finding a print that I liked. By the time, I found a print, I was out of time. I wore almost everything that I made. A couple of garments didn't work because they needed a better coordinating garment. I did learn that I need to work on making the collection more cohesive. My first goal is to spend more time planning.

I do have a question - is it possible for the swap to run longer? This would allow time for sewing disasters, changes in plans, slow sewing, etc. What does everyone think about more time?

Melinda_B

Quote from: Towanda on October 12, 2019, 09:38:17 pmI do have a question - is it possible for the swap to run longer? This would allow time for sewing disasters, changes in plans, slow sewing, etc. What does everyone think about more time?

Honestly, I don't think it would make a difference.  Things will still happen to delay people.  And anything that runs for too long has the risk of participants being bored and fading away.  Three months, with the allowance to do all the prep work beforehand, is quite a long time.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

warpjr1965

Quote from: Melinda_B on October 13, 2019, 05:31:54 am
Quote from: Towanda on October 12, 2019, 09:38:17 pmI do have a question - is it possible for the swap to run longer? This would allow time for sewing disasters, changes in plans, slow sewing, etc. What does everyone think about more time?

Honestly, I don't think it would make a difference.  Things will still happen to delay people.  And anything that runs for too long has the risk of participants being bored and fading away.  Three months, with the allowance to do all the prep work beforehand, is quite a long time.

I have to say I agree with Melinda. By the time April rolls around I need a break from sewing.  Maybe anyone who has joined but needs more time could then post over in the Slow Swap topic? And if there is interest there, a later deadline could be proposed, and a second round of voting? I do love seeing the finished collections in the Gallery, more would be lovely :)
Wendy

indigotiger

Towanda asked:
QuoteI do have a question - is it possible for the swap to run longer? This would allow time for sewing disasters, changes in plans, slow sewing, etc. What does everyone think about more time?
while I appreciate your concern about wishing for more time (and I myself have completed less than half of the SWAP years I started) I am not intending to extend the SWAP timeline this year.

To me, ideally SWAP starts when first thinking and deciding that it will be an option that year, which happens at the beginning of October. That is when I start looking at my current wardrobe, thinking about what gaps may need to be filled, what garments are worn out and need replaced, and what if any entirely new type of garment may get added to my theoretical queue. I make lists, check my TNT patterns, and maybe peruse possible commercial patterns or think if I have any RTW garments I might want to copy. Bear in mind that I would be planning this kind of wardrobe sewing even if there was no SWAP, but that doing this kind of wardrobe assessment is a valuable way of preparing for SWAP. That way, when the rules are announced in late October or early November it is easier to figure out if my wardrobe needs will also fit into the SWAP template.

For the next two months, from the announcement of the rules to the "start official sewing" on December 26, is the time to gather needed materials, decide what previously sewn garment will suit the SWAP, cut out and prep as many "sewing kits*" as I can, make any trial muslins if I am using a new design, and sew one garment for SWAP. By December 26 I will have two of the eleven garments done (and hopefully photographed), and everything else ready to sew. There are then a little more than 4 more months in which to sew, the remaining week of December, then all of January, February, March, and April, when SWAP sewing closes on April 30. 

Devoting over half a year to this process seems like a good compromise to me, some of us are speedy stitchers, and others are slow. I myself am more in the slow camp, but I also know that as your moderator I will need to be online and present here much more frequently that my usual sporadic attendance, and I cannot commit to more than seven months! I hope that everyone who wants to join in will be able to feel like their sewing is a success, whether or not they end up with eleven finished pieces. The Slow Sewing SWAP is a good place to continue to connect with others even after the end date here on this thread, so that the fun need not end on April 30th.

* I have found that preparing my fabric, cutting out my pattern pieces, gathering all needed notions including the pattern and instructions, and putting all that in a bag as a "sewing kit", has really helped my productivity. I sometimes have a whole row of future garments patiently waiting in their respective bags. Personally, I am not at all fond of the cutting out part of sewing, so if I can do that when I feel motivated when I have the energy, and then have everything needed waiting for me, when I sit down to sew it is like opening a present

Susan in Saint John

Quote from: CCL on October 07, 2019, 04:55:12 pm
Quote from: indigotiger on October 07, 2019, 04:10:30 pm(and sort of cogitating if I want to volunteer to be the coordinator? which would be one way to get rules I could work with ::) )

That would lovely!

I agree.

Joyce P

Indigotiger, that was an excellent summary of the SWAP process. I love the idea of making kits after the fitting process is completed. I think that's one way to avoid "wandering into the weeds" and losing one's focus - at least it would be for me. And anyone else who likes to chase the next shiny object  ::)

Susan in Saint John

I remember the first SWAP I tried which was basically 4 bottoms, 6 tops that went with all the bottoms, and a jacket that went with everything.  I was overwhelmed coordinating the fabrics to say nothing of the style lines of the garments.  One year, the rules called for using a wardrobe pattern because that certainly simplifies coordinating the style lines of the garments. 

That said, a SWAP that conforms to those rules is a very useful addition to your closet.  Imagine packing for a several week long trip in a carry on suitcase --- well maybe something a bit bigger than that but definitely something that a little old lady can handle on her own getting on and off trains, through airports, etc.

It certainly takes time to assemble/acquire the fabrics which will play together nicely in a SWAP.  I am trying to develop TNT patterns for various garment types.  I need to muslin each new pattern and probably move on to make a wearable test garment before I'm ready to cut into my carefully curated SWAP fabric.

I don't think I'd do well preparing kits of cut out garments ready for sewing.  Unless I wrote myself copious notes I'd forget what I was thinking and by the time I got to sewing I might have changed my mind about some aspect of the garment.  Working in a series seems to be helpful for me.

Just thinking out loud here, I think my most productive approach to SWAP would be to start with a basic sleeved top pattern such as Montrose which would be sewn in a number of variations.  I did that quite successfully with the Springfield Top this summer.  For bottoms, I'd start with a basic trouser and go through the same process.  The top pattern might morph into a jacket or over layer. Or, if time permits, I might try a new jacket pattern or use my TNT shoulder princess pattern.  In the end, I'd have 2 more TNT patterns with variations and ideally 11 pieces that made packing for a trip easy.

Melinda_B

Indigotiger, is there an actual date that the rules are posted?  Or just sometime between now and December?  Bearing in mind that no matter how clear you think they are, we'll pick them to pieces and interpret them in ways you could never conceive of!  I say that with great humour, as I've often thought rules were obvious, and then had someone question them.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

sewsy

Quote from: Joyce P on October 13, 2019, 03:17:04 pmIndigotiger, that was an excellent summary of the SWAP process. I love the idea of making kits after the fitting process is completed. I think that's one way to avoid "wandering into the weeds" and losing one's focus - at least it would be for me. And anyone else who likes to chase the next shiny object  ::)

Indigotiger, I feel the same as Joyce. And, thanks to Towanda for asking the question which generated the response. I won't participate officially, but I think that this time I'll be sewing on the sidelines! Love everything that you've posted and being able to read your thought processes. Thanks also for the links as to the beginnings of SWAP.

I'm so enjoying this discussion.