Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php/topic,124.0.html

Author Topic: Machine Sewing Tips  (Read 8429 times)

Judith

• Paid Member
Re: Machine Sewing Tips
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »

Sewsy That is an excellent tip on knotting new thread to old. It works! Thank you so much
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Marniesews

• Bedfordshire, UK
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »

If you fix a safety pin over your spool pin and thread through the hole on the end, you'll improve the thread path into the machine too, without this it can offset the tension somewhat.
Pfaffs, Berninas and Jukis - so much fun! If only I had time I might stick some rhinestones on them that have fallen off the dresses! :D

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 08:07:46 AM »

Clever idea, Marnie!  Thanks. :)

BinMi, let us know how your thread-breaking problem gets resolved. It must be frustrating indeed.

FWIW, I sew with 4 different thread brands on my Janome 500E and have no problem. None are Coats and Clark, though, that I can recall. Also, I also use Robison Anton bobbin thread at times and don't need to change the bobbin case.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Marniesews

• Bedfordshire, UK
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »

Not my original idea  ;) but I've used it and it works well.
Pfaffs, Berninas and Jukis - so much fun! If only I had time I might stick some rhinestones on them that have fallen off the dresses! :D

BinMI

• Paid Member
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:59 PM »

I went to my dealer today, and he threaded the machine and embroidered with his thread as well as mine, no problems. Then he watched me thread the machine. I was threading it correctly, except he recommended that I thread the machine two handed. One hand holds slight tension at the spool, while the other hand threads the machine. It is humbling to say this but I had no clue, but It totally works now! He said you are suppose to do this with all machines. He was so nice and tactful.

He did ask me if I had changed needles, thanks to TNT I had.

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 02:08:00 AM »

I'm glad that you don't have to be without your machine, and I'm glad you don't need to replace your embroidery thread!
I have no idea if I thread my machines two handed or not- I'm going to have to check. That's a great tip.

warpjr1965

• Paid Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 02:19:33 AM »

I needed to re-cut and shape a neckline today, and found this nice video tutorial that was very helpful!

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits
Wendy

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 04:45:27 AM »

I thread all of my machines two-handed.  That way I'm sure that the thread is seated properly in between the tension discs. 

I'm so happy that you found the problem, BinMi. Now you can begin to enjoy that gem of a machine.

Kathryn

LyndaC

• Paid Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »

Margaret Islander has a post?  Does she have a web site?  Would someone please tell me?

BinMI

• Paid Member
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »

Pina

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »

I thread all of my machines two-handed.  That way I'm sure that the thread is seated properly in between the tension discs. 

I'm so happy that you found the problem, BinMi. Now you can begin to enjoy that gem of a machine.

Kathryn

Kathryn,I always threaded my machines two-handed too.  ;D

Before I thread a sewing machine I raise the presser foot up as high as it can go. It opens up the tension discs. When I thread through the takeup lever I hold one finger on the thread on top of the machine. With my old sergers I move the thread up and down while threading,that way I can make sure the thread is seated well between the serger tension discs.

When I wind bobbins I wind them at medium speed,not as fast as the machine can go.Bobbin thread can stretch when wound too fast. On one old Air Elna was a rabbit next to the speed slider.In the manual I read to wind bobbins at medium speed. And on some old(er) machines I place my finger on the thread on top of the machine to wind tighter bobbins,or sometimes guide the thread with two fingers to wind even bobbins. I find when bobbins are wound tighter and evenly my machines can sew much nicer looking stitches.

I wind most of my different brand bobbins on an old Bernina 811 I bought for $ 10,the foot control parts were in a brown paper bag.  ;D  I adjusted the foot pressure on that Bernina inside with a screw driver and only sew satin stitches with it now.  ;D 

Last but not least,I use the spool cap(s) that came originally with my old and newer machines. If old machine I find came once with a spool cap and it's missing I buy a new spool cap. There is a reason some sewing machines need a spool cap,otherwise there can be problems with the stitches. How thread we buy is wound and comes off spools or cones is important too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:16:07 PM by Pina »

Syndi

• Paid Member
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »

I needed to re-cut and shape a neckline today, and found this nice video tutorial that was very helpful!

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits
Thank you for sharing this link, warpjr!  I'm trying to work on sewing knits and this will really help!

Marni- thanks for that tip.....great idea!

fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »

Pina, you make a good point about making sure the presser foot is raised when threading the machine. It's so second nature to me to do that as well as to thread two-handed, that I didn't give it a thought until BinMi mentioned that it was possibly the cause of the thread breaking on her machine. That's a good lesson for me to pay attention to what I do when I do it and not go on autopilot mode when doing things I've always done. :)

Ditto for winding bobbins at a slower speed. Louise Cutting, as I recall, mentions that often as well.

Kathryn

P.S. Remember that excellent video that someone posted (I bet it was you :) ) about how thread comes off differently for cones vs. spools? That was an eye opener for me.

Pina

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 12:46:32 PM »

The paper trick..........When you’re finished, bend the paper along the stitch line, then tear the paper away from both sides to reveal - a nice even seam.

Sewing Seams That Look Like Flatlock..............We can create a similar look using regular sewing machines! You’ll often see a type of stitching called flatlock used on leggings and yoga pants. What is a flatlock? On athletic apparel, it’s a type of seam that is sewn on a special machine. It looks similar to serging with its multiple threads, but it’s sewn with one edge overlapped on top of the other.

Adding Machine Paper Foundation Piecing.

Karen

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »

What a great thread! How'd I miss this?! I love machine talk!
I love fine pins too, and am now realizing I'm certain I bought those blue/yellow head patchwork pins and have no idea where they are. I must have packaged them with a UFO to continue with same pins. Hmm.
Karen

Pina

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »

Seam Puckering.......
Test to identify
Carefully cut and remove the stitches in a short length of the seam, after first checking for the tension pucker. If both faces of the seam revert to a smooth surface, structural jamming has occurred.

KarenDee

• Paid Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »

Pina, thanks so much for all this wonderful information. Somehow I had missed this thread but today enjoyed it from the beginning. I really liked the scrap quilts made on adding machine paper tape. Thanks for your generosity.

Karendee

Pina

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

Serger tip......to remove 3-thread serger stitches unravel the chain tail end. Look for the shortest thread,it’s a needle thread.Pull the needle thread,all the other threads will fall off.

annenet

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

Pina, that's one of my favorite tricks!

Pina

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »

Fun picture tutorial.  ;) How to Distress Your Denim. "Thinking about making something out of denim? Looking for a way to make your denim stand out? Why not DIY distress your denim? Now I know what you’re thinking, “distressing is for young adults not for me”. Not true, distressing used on a different scales can be for all ages. I’m going to show you how to add a DIY distressed look to your denim. You can use this technique on jeans you already own or that pair of Jeans you’ve been dying to make. You probably already have all the tools you need to make this happen."

For decades I mended ripped men's jeans,now I see distressed jeans every time I leave home. Look at the price of a brand new pair of distressed jeans here.   ;D I wish I would have known then the ripped distressed jeans look is "in".Click on picture to enlarge.

morejoy

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »

This thread is an awesome resource, for those who've not scanned it .. so many great
tips and great information.  Hope everyone checks it out. Thanks, all, for your great input
and really helpful tips and refreshers.

I'll re-post a favorite serger video.. previous link resides at the old site, can get forgotten
over time (I need refreshers a lot ;), and for the new members.

Serger. How to: Curves and Corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32AaSlBXAw

Her: How to Sew Bias Binding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI5Yopj68Z8

I could listen to her for hours .. adore the accent.
She has 2 pages of videos:  https://www.youtube.com/user/SewbizAus/videos

~Joy~

Elephun

• Paid Member
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »

That serger video is good, Joy!

The bias binding video makes me want to use my knee lift. She makes it look so easy to manipulate that bias binding with both of her hands (not worried about lifting the presser foot with one of them).
The arm on my chair interferes with the knee lift, so I just took them off. I'll give it a go- see if I can coordinate my knee and my hands.  ;D

theresa in tucson

• Paid Member
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »

Nice, but I'm still in the camp of mending the knees when they blow out but that's my age and circumstances (2nd oldest child in an 8-child family) talking.

Pina

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »

For several years I volunteered to make cat cage comforters for a local area cat shelter. Since then cats don’t live in wire cages anymore.

At another shelter cats live in a cage free environment. I don’t sew much anymore and was thinking of donating many yards of different soft cat cage comforter material and other material,including 3 yards faux fur. We have over 12 inches snow. I like this "no mess" Brother faux fur jacket tutorial.

In the videos,designer Laura of Trash to Couture shows you how to make a faux fur jacket. Including go-to tips for working with this textile, from cutting, pattern design, construction, and finishing. YouTube video - DIY Faux Fur Jacket Part 1.   YouTube video - DIY Faux Fur Jacket Part 2.

Pina

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »

This thread is an awesome resource, for those who've not scanned it .. so many great
tips and great information.  Hope everyone checks it out. Thanks, all, for your great input
and really helpful tips and refreshers.

I'll re-post a favorite serger video.. previous link resides at the old site, can get forgotten
over time (I need refreshers a lot ;), and for the new members.

Serger. How to: Curves and Corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32AaSlBXAw

I could listen to her for hours .. adore the accent.
She has 2 pages of videos:  https://www.youtube.com/user/SewbizAus/videos

~Joy~

Joy,thank you very much for sharing the - Using Your Overlocker / Serger. How to:....... video tutorials !  :) :)
I watched the How to: Curves and Corners video several times over the years.  ;)

Google book preview – More Polar Fleece Adventures by Nancy Cornwell, blanket stitching starts on page 127..............A blanket stitch edge finish can be applied to vest edges,shawl collars and more. One can “cheat” and do a mock blanket stitch on a serger.  ;D

YouTube video - Serger Tip Clip 14: The Serger Blanket Stitch with two threads. My sergers are 3/4 thread sergers and can't do a 2 thread "mock" blanket stitch.

Mock Blanket Stitches with your Serger instructions........... 3 Thread Version and 2 Thread Version:...
These stitches work best with firm medium to heavier weight fabric (e.g. polar fleece). – Not a stitch to try late at night, but it makes a lovely edge stitch. Depending on your fabric you may want to fold under the edge about 3/8ths of an inch. Serge slowly. – Test Test Test.

Nancy Zieman - 3-thread serger blanket stitch.         2-thread serger blanket stitch.

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here