Author Topic: Looking for Heavier Rayon/Lycra like JJill's Wearever clothing line  (Read 4238 times)

Offline barbc

I am finding I love a few pieces I have from JJill's Wearever line of clothing.  I can stand wearing them in the summer, they drape well, and they seem to wear well.  Does anyone know of a source to find the heavier weight Rayon/Lycra.  It is 95% Rayon and 5% lycra. 

I see fabrics like that for sale online, but don't know if it is the heavier weight like the clothings from JJill.  I am looking for black, but colors would be nice too.

The one caveat is that I am large and tall at at a certain price point it doesn't make sense for me to make the clothes.  So I am looking for a good price too.

I live in upstate NY but have a sister in NYC, I could also try NYC stores if someone knows it's available there.

Thanks in advance,

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
Re: Looking for Heavier Rayon/Lycra like JJill's Wearever clothing line
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
Barbc - you might want to contact the writer of this blog - Shop the NYC Garment District - http://www.shopthegarmentdistrict.com/2012/07/fashion-z-at-fit.html  She should be able to tell you where you can find the fabric you are looking for - if it's available to regular consumers.  Another person who is really great about finding specific fabric is Linda - the owner of Emmaonesock.com.

Good hunting.

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
When I have a ready-to-wear garement made in a fabric with a hand I love, I wear it or simply put it in a bag and bring it with me when shoping for a similar fabric. Maybe that would help?

For online shoping, since I'm the impatient kind, I rely on descriptions and hope for the better. I have only 1 fabric I ordered online for which I have no idea what to use it for. Even if I can't, for some reason, use it in the project I bought it for, I usually find an other one for which it's perfectly suitable. I sent once a small piece of fabric to an online store (not a chain) so they see if they carry something similar. They've been very helpful and proposed something very similar in hand and weight.

I find budgeting when fabric shoping is not a straightforward process. Since I stopped working for health reasons, my available budget for sewing slimmed down tremendously all the while my body weight expended generously due to a combination of very limited daily activity and some medication. I didn't find the yardage to change much though. The style of a garement seems to be what makes a project more expensive because of increased yardage needed, i.e. a full skirt dress with long sleeves as opposed to a more fitted one with a straight skirt. Or a car coat as opposed to an A-line full length coat.

As an exemple, 3 years ago I found a bottom-weight camel colored with thin brown pin-stripes used by a French designer priced at 45$ a meter. It's very expensive, but to die for and I simply was totally in love with it. So I scoured pants patterns until I found one that uses 1.65 meters of fabric rather than the usual 1.80 to 2 meters fabric. Once I sew that pant, I'll have a pant that cost me less than 100$ made in a fabric from a designer's house that retails theirs for above 400$. The thing is, I'm so intimidated by putting the cisors in that fabric, I have yet to sew it. ::) That's what I mean by budgeting not being a straightforward process.

I suppose this doesn't help much. :-[
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline Sandra

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
I'm on my iPad and so (for reasons beyond me), I can't copy n paste from the following page, but it has a definition of J Jill Wearever fabric.

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/artandcraft/glossary.aspx?Alpa=W

Maybe sending that info to the people that reanns recommended would help. Plus, could you clip a bit from a seam or hem allowance and send that, too? Is this the kind of fabric that Christine Jonson (sp) sells? Is it like the Chico's "travelers" line?
Sandra in Clarence NY (near Buffalo and Niagara Falls)
My blog: Making It With Help
And now I'm on Twitter @SandraCarden

Offline makeupmaven

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
Sounds like you are wanting slinky.  I find that very economical to sew with.  I use Linda MacPhee's no side seam pant pattern and I need two lengths for my larger body.  I can use what is left from the width to cut sleeves or princess panels for a top or jacket.  From about 4 yards I can get two peices, pants and long sleeve top or jacket and from 5 yards I can add a third piece, shell, maybe a short sleeve top and from 5.5 yards I can cut a skirt falling below my fat knees plus the other pieces.

BTW, Linda has great slinky, as does Emma Seabrook, but I've also bought slinky at the bargain table at Hancock and Joann.

HTH,
Gail
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:55:08 PM by makeupmaven »

Offline Karendee

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
I am also a huge fan of Wearever line by J Jill. I must say I own pants, skirts, tops, and jackets in every basic shade they have made for about 4 yrs. I also need to add that this fabric is not a slinky not anything I have ever seen on bought online or in stores. While stiff after washing, it dries in the dryer without shrinking and doesn;t wrinkle. I find the wearever full leg pants to be extremely flattering on my tall, hippy body--in the misses sizing not the tall. If anyone has a clue about this fabric, please let us know.

Karen

Online PattiH

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
Karen,

I used to have some pants like that.  They were made out of tencel.  Not the knit kind I am seeing these days, but a woven pant-weight tencel.  It is really stiff and kinda crispy when wet, but really soft and wonderful when dry.

PattiH

Offline Liz in PA

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
"Stiff when wet" is a characteristic of all rayon and tencel, knit and woven. In fact, that's one of the easiest ways to know if they are in your fabric.

I have a number of Jjill wearever pieces, and they are nice rayon/lycra, but I never thought they were especially heavy. Perhaps a bit more than some.

Offline barbc

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
Liz in PA, yes the Rayon/Lycra is heavier than the light one's I have seen in stores suitable for tops and such.  I would consider it a medium weight.  I can find Rayon/Lycra locally, but not this weight.  I am very lucky to have an excellent Local Fiber Shop near me which carries beautiful fabrics.

PattiH, Rayon and Tencil are the same fiber.  I think the processing is different and Tencil is more environmentally friendly.

Karenlee,  I am glad there are other fans.  I find myself stalking the pieces hoping to catch them on sale.  A week or two ago they had them half off and I held off of buying more.  Now I sorely wish I had!  They make great work clothes for me and the pants are long enough to fit my 6' body.  (what do petites do?!)

Gail, As other's said it is not slinky.  It seems nicer to me.  Nicer even than the acetate slinky.

Reanns, thank you for the link!  I bookmarked it for suggestions if I make the venture to NYC soon.

Zoubida, great idea to wear the item.  I will do that!

Sandra, what I find!  I am going to spend more time pouring over this glossary.  I love their fabrics, it's one reason I keep shopping at JJill  -well that and they carry a large variety of sizes.

I was hoping to find an online source.  I was also hoping someone knew where I could find this fabric if not online as a last resort I could try shopping in NYC.  Truthfully it might be hard to talk my family into shopping in NYC for fabric.  They want to do other things when we go there.

Barb

Offline Liz in PA

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »
I would contact Linda at EmmaOneSock. I don't see any 14 oz. rayon/lycras at the moment, but she has lots of 11 oz. I'll bet they would be the quality you are looking for. She does swatches, too.

http://www.emmaonesock.com/fabrics/rayonlycrajerseyel.asp

Offline jtl

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
I agree with Liz, the fact that the fabric is stiff when wet but softens in dryer and does not shrink indicates that it is rayon or at least has rayon in the blend.  I have a black LH sweater set I made from a fabric purchased from fabric.com at least 6 years ago.  Wears like iron and still looks good.  However, finding the fabric with the correct % of rayon is the challenge.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Linda's 11 oz rayon lycra is wonderful, but not thick enough for pants.  I've never ordered the 14 oz rayon lycra, but that may work.

Recently, Linda (EOS) had some rayon double knit from St John knits that is the most perfect fabric ever (IMHO).  It is thick enough for pants, but not as thick as ponte, so it's great for summer.  She had it in mocha, robins egg blue, and gray.  I know the mocha is gone, but the other two might be there.  I can't remember if it had lycra in it, I don't think so.  I believe it is 100% rayon.

ETA:  It is 95% rayon 5% spandex

Here is the link.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:10:51 PM by Janis »
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Karendee

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the good information. Since this Wearever line fits so well and is cool enough for summer and winter I really do enjoy the RTW. I have a closet full of the clothing and enjoy wearing the pants on a daily basis. But I do appreciate any great fabric like the one you showed, Janis. That is my favorite color, btw. I will purchase some immediately.

Karen

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »
You all had my curiosity peaked, and I happen to be close to a JJill, so I took a peak at the Wearever line.  I think it is a rayon double knit.  It feels very much (in weight) like the St John knit (the quality of the SJ knit is better) which is a double knit but lightweight.  I've just started seeing this type of fabric recently.  I think it's an answer to the popularity of the ponte knit, only light enough for summer.  I hope to be seeing more of this type of knit in the future.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline Sandra

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
Thanks, Janis, for doing this research on our behalf!  :)
Sandra in Clarence NY (near Buffalo and Niagara Falls)
My blog: Making It With Help
And now I'm on Twitter @SandraCarden

Offline barbc

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 12:41:45 AM »
I am not famillar with St John's knit fabric.  I always thought of St John's knit as a fairly stable double knit.  In my small town we don't have any stores that would sell St John's knit clothing, but I bet our fabric store gets fabric if they sell the mill ends wholesale.  She had some grey Eileen Fisher knit before.

I think the beauty of this knit is that it does work when it is hot out.  It travels well.  It wears well too.  I have some tops in it too and they are equally nice, but lighter weight.

I read though the Ponte thread again and this fabric is different;  I think that RPL is heavier and more suited to colder weather.  I get steamy wearing cotton/lycra t-shirts I don't think I could wear RPL unless there was a chill in the air.

I did go to the local fabric shop today.  Zoubida, I forgot to wear the pants!  Figures.  Anyway I told the owner about my search for the fabric.  I told her I would bring some in for her to see then if she finds it.....  I did buy some black cotton/lycra double knit to make a pair of pants.

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
I did go to the local fabric shop today.  Zoubida, I forgot to wear the pants!  Figures.  Anyway I told the owner about my search for the fabric.  I told her I would bring some in for her to see then if she finds it.....  I did buy some black cotton/lycra double knit to make a pair of pants.

Hahaha!!! It's classic that I forget to wear what I need to find a similar fabric.

I just spent a good 20 minutes browsing Emma One Sock online store. As said before in this thread, I think you would have good chances to find what you need there. If you can spare the shipping, why not send her the pant so she sends it back with swatches she considers suitable? Or maybe a clipping from the hem or other seam allowance? If you like that kind of fabric so much, the shipping back and forth could qualify as a good investment.
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
That Wearever fabric sounds wonderful for versatility, durability
and travel.   

Janis, thanks for the info on the weight factor of the fabric... very
helpful.  I'll sure be looking for some and asking the weight
now that I know the parameters.

If Emmaonesock checks in with this site, she'll hopefully stock more
of the 14 oz. post haste.  It's sold out now but she has stocked it.

http://www.emmaonesock.com/fabrics/rayonlycrajerseyfo.asp

Did a search and found this from Zoelee's Fabric's (you have to scroll
down on the site to this item)

Black Lycra Jersey
Item #: 216

60" wide 55%cotton 35%polyester 10% lycra. Black lycra Jersey --a wonderful
weight Jersey 14.0 oz, drapes well. The Fajita Skirt from LJ Designs is a flirty
skirt and easy to make.
Unit Price: USD 13.98

http://www.zoelees.com/products/Fashion_Lycra_Knits.htm#

Found a 14.80 oz cotton/spandex knit that looks interesting,  It's a mother/
daughter organic fabrics supplier in Asheville, NC.  They also swatch.  This
comes in 4 colors.

North Carolina Natural Double Knit

Item #4175
Content: 95% Organic Cotton/5% Spandex
14.60 oz/linear yd; 51.00" wide
http://www.nearseanaturals.com/item.php?id=4177

About them (interesting): 
http://www.nearseanaturals.com/index.php?page=about

Of course you can see the knit texture, and they don't have that smooth
RPL surface, but I've had a pair of Liz Claiborne cotton knit slacks that just
won't wear out, and they have surprisingly great drape.  With the addition
of spandex, I know they'd recover better than just the pure cotton. These
need to be washed after a couple of wears for recovery, but they're great.

~Joy~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Karendee

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I agree, Janis, that the St. John's knit is a perfect quality in every way. I have a couple of RTW St. John's pants suits in a dressier knit that is just beautiful, but the price difference makes the J Jill a fabric I can wear everyday while not the St. John's. The pants at J Jill's wearever are $79.00 I think and I often get them on a 15-30% off. I won't even tell you how many black pr. I own, for I have been wearing them for yrs. And for each birthday, each of my sisters adds a pr. to my stash. My favorite thing about the knit is the wearability, for my oldest pr. looks just as pristine as my newer ones.

But for other pants and garments, the St. John's fabrics can't be beat for that price. LOL, and I did purchase the seamist St. John's fabric you mentioned. It looks beautiful.

Karen

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Karen, glad I could enable you, lol.  I've been eying that seamist myself.  I also discovered it comes in a denim blue that reverses to a gray/blue stripe.  Hmmmm, the devil is back on my shoulder >:D

My Blog

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »
Ooops, sorry the Emmaonesock info was inactive.  Here's the cached version
of that page that's active for me now.

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=14+oz+rayon+lycra+fabric&fr=moz35&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=14+oz+rayon+lycra+fabric&d=4988497739648121&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=678aa74a,c86ca37e&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=EqR5MlVBB4AQKb0mwrCVHg--

The rayon and lycra percentages for this fabric are 90 and 10.

~Joy~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Kuby

• Kuby's Korner
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:59 AM »
MoreJoy, thanks for these great links!

Karen Dee, thanks for sharing the info about Wearever fabric.

Janis, the info about the weights is going to prove very helpful.

Offline barbc

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »
Thank you everyone!  I can see I am going to have to try some online suppliers.  You guys are great at pointing out the good stuff.  My credit card thanks you too ;-)

I am checking my local fabric shop first because she gets beautiful fabrics, the prices are good, and no shipping (!!!).  I am lucky we have a local fabric shop with cotton knits, rayon knits, and wool knits in addition to silks, linens, and wovens.  I am hoping she can find fabric like the Wearever fabric too.  Our town needs to support her and keep it running. 

I am going to try the cotton/lycra I bought the other day and see how that works for me.  I will also keep in mind a trip to NYC and Mood fabrics.

I am looking forward to making new clothes in simple styles and beautiful fabrics.  Pouring over my Burda's and Ottobre's now.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Kuby, you're more than welcome.

Karendee

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics