• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 09, 2019, 12:34:43 am

News:

Feeling a little lost here on the "Reloaded" board?  All the old threads are still available on SG Classic, including the ever popular "Forum Decorum" thread; a huge variety of mini tutorials and how-tos for making SG's format work for you.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/board,45.0.html

Demented Fairy's Peacock/Cabbage SWAP

Started by dementedfairy, January 13, 2019, 07:06:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dementedfairy

After the glut of black/red/grey sewing for last year's SWAP, I jumped into a new colour theme for The Sewing Place's 'Sewing With a Kind of Plan', or Swakop.  I used colour inspiration there too, with these images being the ones which got me going

Nice huh?
I soon started adding in purple though

And I'm having  a whale of a time with this combination, mixing and matching my new working wardrobe for maximum effect....so off I go in search of colour inspiration images
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

dementedfairy

And here we go!  Do I have to pick one, as they are all so very similar?

Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

dementedfairy

So it would need to extend the wardrobe I'm already enjoying in these colourways, like these items

dementedfairy

And so it begins...sort of lol
I haven't actually PLANNED anything, but I know I need more T shirts, and/or simple button-through shirts, and/or shell tops
My wardrobe is nice and full, and versatile, but there are still gaps, some seasonal- I have little warm weather clothing that isn't totally casual, which was OK up til last summer, but this year I'm back in school so need some stuff for that, thinking ahead.
I have NO jumpers/sweaters/pullovers that aren't lightweight jersey, and basically T shirts
I have no decent/smart woven trousers, although I have several patterns.  Most of my recent attempts at wide leg trousers have been fails, so I need to go back to straight or bootcut- skinny is not a good look when you are an apple on cocktail sticks.
I'd already indulged in some yardage after Xmas, and I was determined not to buy more...but I have slipped.
Here's a blog post with my fabric pics so far.
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2019/01/20/proud-as-a-peacock-swap-2019/

dementedfairy

January 25, 2019, 11:55:56 am #4 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:26:19 am by dementedfairy
I got the fabrics for my winter coat way before SWAP, and it isn't anywhere near my colour scheme, but I love this so much I thought I'd share what I'll be wearing over the top of my SWAP collection right through the rest of the winter.
I indulged in some pricey [£45/m] 100% cashmere, and mock astrakhan, to make McCall's 7848.  A full-length, zip fronted beauty was finished off on Tuesday evening with several hours of hand hemming, and has been christened with playground duty.  It passed the test with flying colours, and is lifting my mood admirably.

Blog post here
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2019/01/25/cashing-in-cashmere-coat-5/

And a teaser pic

dementedfairy

I think I was having a senior moment the other day- I googled 'ornamental cabbages' for my image, so that's what I saw when it popped up...then I realised it's ruddy succulents.  Grrrr.  AND I searched some more and found that all those colours were artificially applied to the plants in question.
Irked, I re-googled, and re-paletted, and I'm even happier with the results:

I was delighted to see that I can happily wear everything there [and even source loads from stash] EXCEPT for the final three drab neutrals.  They would just suck the life out of me, so let's pretend they're not there at all!

Now, which to select as my 'neutrals'?

Having recently got over my horror of navy [it was my school uniform colour, FORTY ONE years ago...I bear a grudge] I think that could be one.  I tend towards black as my fall back neutral, but by the time this collection is complete, we should be into spring, so I could veer towards something lighter.  Or the greens?  My favourite colour, very spring appropriate...

I think I may just go with the flow and see what transpires.

I have been binging on patterns over the last few years, and although I'm pretty fast at making up things when I buy them, I do seem to have a backlog waiting in the wings.

So, this is the year I plan to clear that backlog.  I may use TNTs for some things, like simple well-tried tops, but otherwise it will be new patterns all the way.  Anything I haven't used by the end of this year, other than perhaps costume or seasonal patterns, will need to GO.  Charity shop or swop...does this make 2019 the op-shop swap SWAP? :)) :)) :))

dementedfairy

February 20, 2019, 09:37:11 am #6 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:41:21 am by dementedfairy
Finally I'm off the starting blocks!  So many lovely fabrics, so many fabulous patterns...and I've been sitting doing nothing at all.
Trousers being the most urgently needed wardrobe item, that's where I jumped in...and promptly messed up.  Version 1 of my purple passion pants was so bad I didn't take pics, but I unpicked and returned to the arena, and I'm happy with the final result. 
Greenstyle Creations, 'Chelsea' flares in a  nice quality purple ponte.  Very deep elasticated waistband, and cute tulip back pockets.  I like 'em a lot!
Two blog posts  Here
  and here
Teaser pic

dementedfairy

Item #2, StyleArc 'Linda' straight leg trousers in navy ponte.  I added pockets, but otherwise straight out of the pack.
Blogged here
Teaser pic

dementedfairy

Item #3 [about time eh?]
Butterick 6248 in  a very thick and cosy boiled lambswool/acrylic knit, almost a chenille finish.  It is a simple make, but the thickness of the fabric gave me a little bit of grief, breaking a needle and jamming the overlocker.  I like it though, after years of not being able to wear jumpers [post menopause central heating] I'm finally able to wear them occasionally.  Hurrah! :applause2:
Blog post here
And a teaser pic

dementedfairy

I got sidetracked making a costume for World Book Day [on the blog if you want  a peep]
And now I'm ALMOST back on track, but my MOB dress for August is calling, and the silk samples arrived this week.  I need to choose three out of 6, which makes TWENTY combinations [and they are all in my SWAP choice so I don't feel bad about getting distracted here, maybe it will be a wildcard?]
I would appreciate any feedback on the blog re the est combinations
Here is the sample of all 6 just to tease you

And the blog post with all 20 options pictured is here Please help a confused Fairy!

dementedfairy

FINALLY garment #4.  NO more side tracks or I have no chance of getting this done in time!
Style Arc 'Victoria' blouse, in a teal viscose twill, with small black 'knot' buttons.  The print unfortunately hides the style lines but I'm happy with this, although I think I will definitely shorten it.  Seen here with the 'Linda' trousers in navy.
More here on the blog, plus lots more pictures

Teaser: 
Very wrinkly as I'd been wearing it all day with a cardigan!

dementedfairy

Still going very slowly, but it's nearly Easter break so I'll be able to zoom on then.
#5, McCall's 6436 shirt in skull print chambray.  Easy, comfortable and fun. Like me!
Blog post here

Teaser pic

dementedfairy

No sewing yet this weekend, but I have got four more garments cut out:
Geodesic sweater in ponte remnants from various other makes
Alabama Chanin Fractal top, ditto
Another M6436 shirt in a fun green/blue tree print
Another Style Arc Victoria shirt in ivory silk satin- very fine and slippery, and I've had to cut double layers to make it even halfway decent.  This might be a royal PITA but time will tell

Once those are done, I'll have 9.  I have some bottle green ponte on the way to make some more trousers, and a few possible options for item 11.  I may yet make it!

dementedfairy

After all the cutting out, a nice fast sew.  New Look 6735, tried and tested T shirt pattern with a  nice curved back seam.  Frumble fabrics stripe jersey, lovely quality with lots of stretch. Yay!
Shown here after  a day at work

Blog post and more pics here

dementedfairy

And here's a teaser of the geodesic sweater...

dementedfairy

The geodesic is done...but now I have to unpick it and re-do quite a lot.  Why?  Because [I'm guessing] the designer may have designed it for say, a 36" bust, then just scaled up all those equilateral triangles to fit larger sizes.  ALL of them.  By my calculations, assuming the original was 36" bust, and drafted for an average 5'5" height, the increase in size to produce a 44" bust [me] means I need to be be 6'7".  I'm 5'3".
IT'S LOOOONNNNGGGGGGG

Sigh.
The colours look good, but now I need to go unpick loads of overlocking and topstitching.

BUM

dementedfairy

I couldn't face all that ubpicking without a treat first, so I ploughed on with the Fractal top from Alabama Chanin.
This is also made up of all those odd shaped remnants, and is a great design for using up oddments [and obviously, colour blocking]
I didn't fancy the full AC treatment, so I stitched normal seams, stretching the fabric a little, then did some hand stitching in a toning shade to highlight all the seams.  A good compromise as I've got it all done this afternoon.
Geodesic top in remnants of purple and dark blue knits, including velvet and ribbed textures.  I think this will become a favourite!

And [until I get the alterations done]...the very very looooong Geodesic

dementedfairy

And another McCall's 6436 shirt, this time with the wonderful tower placket from Folkwear's Frontier shirt pattern- much nicer than a narrow hemmed slit opening!
Blog post here

And teaser pic

That's 9 if I manage to fix the geodesic top.

I have another Style Arc Victoria blouse cut out in ivory silk satin, which something is telling me to hand sew.  Ha!  Why not, it's only time? 
Also cut out, a moss green zip front pinafore dress.
I also got some more of that lovely stripe jersey in a different colourway to make another t-shirt, and that will be enough.  It's nearly Easter break though, so apart from sewing Toto and 8 or 9 Munchkin costumes, I could still make some other bits to chop and change...I got some beautiful dark green ponte for some more trousers.  Flares or straight leg?  Dunno yet...

dementedfairy

dementedfairy

Yesterday I took a deep breath and removed the entire lower section from the geodesic sweater, tweaked the neckline and replaced both bands.  The unpicking took HOURS [or felt like it lol]
It's much improved, but now [of course] just a smidge too short, so it will be fine with high waisted trousers, not otherwise. Sigh.
I may have to dive in again and put on a double width bottom band.  If I can gather the nerve.
Meanwhile, I also started hand sewing the ivory silk satin blouse, which will probably be easier than trying to get it through the mas=chine without undue stretching and damage.  I hope.
Also on the table ready to sew is a zip fornt dress in a soft moss green velvety fabric, and a small heap of things to cut out next:
A shirt for the missus
A beautiful 'Toto' doglet for the school play
Another stripey T shirt probably for SWAP

So many other distractions are calling me, including a toile for my MOB dress, 9 Munchkin costumes, and four witches...sigh.
Time to roll my sleeves up and make this Easter fortnight productive!

dementedfairy

Ivory silk shirt is finally done- not without drama [blog post soon]
So then I whizzed up another stripey T shirt,  with only minor fuss, [and also started the Toto doglet].

I need to make a new bottom band for the geodesic, and either finish the green velvet pinafore dress or make some more trousers in a  nice forest green ponte.

Close to finishing!

dementedfairy

Geodesic sweater is revamped, and will now be wearable without tugging or fussing with the length.
Blog post and more pics here

dementedfairy

ALSO
Pink/blue striped T shirt, another New Look 6735 in premium cotton/lycra from Frumble Fabrics.  ALMOST no fuss lol
Love it!
Blog post here

dementedfairy

Style Arc Victoria, hand stitched in ivory silk satin.  I love it!
Blog post here

dementedfairy

Green ponte trousers got cut out this morning and whizzed up this evening.  No fuss apart from having to partially unpick the waistband as I hadn't caught all layers in cleanly.  Then for some reason, bearing in mind I've made these trousers up multiple times, I had to take them in down the side seams after thinking I was finished.  Stretch fabrics are so unpredictable!
While I was cutting, I also cut out  another Style Arc Halle skirt, which I will stitch up tomorrow.
Altogether, I have more than the 11 required, but have probably stretched the number of fabrics rule, so will need to play about to see how they work.  I know everything works with everything else, so it's a win for my wardrobe in any case!