• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 08:14:30 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

SWAP 2019 - Discussion

Started by indigotiger, December 28, 2018, 12:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniecan

You look so fresh in your pink, Wendy! Great fit on the pants. I like what you wrote about learning, too.

warpjr1965

Thanks for the comments gang!

I cannot for the life of me get those photos into the gallery, so I posted what I could under my thread. I added a few more just now.  I am cracking up at the faces I am making. It sums up my mood both today and yesterday, a little giddy, a little grumpy!

Eva, thanks for the comment, I actually did not move house this year, but I sure felt busy enough without that!

I love everyone's items. Luz Clara, your colors are just gorgeous!  Stephanie, I'm loving your whole collection, especially the blouses. Morzel, I really like your jeans, both pairs. Tree Frog, fabulous as usual. Aussie, your collections always are so cohesive, and Medea your summer wardrobe is perfect. Ruthie, you always put together a reliable collection, I love the teal with the Rose of the t, Lisa, love the culottes and striped T.

Did I miss anyone?  I love SWAP, and am so glad I was able to finish, and so glad so many others did too!  Also glad for all the sewers-along, and all the camaraderie.
Wendy

Lisa Laree

Quote from: warpjr1965 on May 09, 2019, 06:58:32 pmI cannot for the life of me get those photos into the gallery,

Did you join the SWAP group?  You have to do that to upload pics to the SWAP gallery.  But I know the Gallery is acting up and DL has been trying to get it to cooperate....

Morzel

I've been wearing the SWAP pieces all since end of April. Its been cold and rainy today, so I sit here with my sweater and the twill jeans - I think only a jeans and plain tshirts are non-SWAP since I finished SWAP. Yay, memadeMay!
Eva

stephaniecan

That is great, Eva. It is too cold here for mine and I caught cold, too! I am ready for the summertime. I need to make a perfect polo like yours, too!

Thanks, Wendy!!

dementedfairy

Gorgeous pics everyone!   I always love to see the different styles of photos which also show your personalities...very interesting!
I'm wearing all my non-photographed and non-entered SWAP items, and loving them all....I'm also sewing Wizard of Oz costumes like crazy, and started a sewing club at school this lunchtime.  Busy busy!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

mudcat

I extended the deadline for uploading to the gallery until tomorrow (Sat MST) since there were gallery problems and I neglected to mention the naming conventions so if anyone had problems you have one more day to remedy it.

I will add the voting post some time next week.

Lisa Laree

Naming conventions?  Did I miss something?   I mass uploaded my pics and then discovered I could not go back and add descriptions, so I put the descriptions in the notes, bu if I need to edit something I can.

mudcat

Everyone who uploads photos needs to name them with an identical SWAP name and a number, as has been done in the past. After, they will be sorted into subcategories by DL or one of the other admins. 

At this point everyone seems to be properly categorized though you might want to scroll through them.

Lisa Laree

So if they're already sorted correctly we're good?  Bless Dragon Lady for figuring it out...

Morzel

Quote from: DragonLady on May 11, 2019, 11:23:11 amAs far as I'm concerned, all the photos uploaded so far are just fine.  The convention of giving them names and numbers is to make sure they get moved to the right categories, but I've already done that for everyone so far.

Eva

Morzel

So, how do the SWAP pieces work out for you this year? Wearing them? Are those of you who did not finish end of april still sewing? And content with what you sewed up to then? How about those who dropped out because of medical issues (angelsweb, Melinda, bobbingbeth), how are you doing?

In my head I am working on my next collection, for summer vacation. We will be in the Alps, I need hiking pants. And a rain jacket.
Eva

stephaniecan

May 14, 2019, 05:12:27 am #432 Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:08:54 am by stephaniecan Reason: Oops spelling again
As always, your questions are really thoughtful, Morzel. I hope the others who dropped out because of life or health interferences are doing well.

I am also thinking of my next collection! I have a couple of ideas already.

I can't wear my garments yet as we are having an unseasonably cool spring in Florence. I have been sticking to jeans and shirts and pullovers, which is OK.

I always sew for mixed uses, so all of my garments will find a place in the rotation of my wardrobe. The red dress has already been worn to concerts and dinner. The red jacket I really made to jazz up a few outfits. I love it with jeans or casual pants when I want to feel bright and cheerful. The silk blouses I made for a combination of work and casual wear in summer as it gets very hot and humid and so the kimono sleeves make the tops airy. They can be worn to work with a jacket to protect from air con. The skirts and casual grey capris I can see being worn either dressed up or with striped tees and ballet flats when cruising around the city doing errands. Lots of options.

For next year I want to make a coat or trench and have a wonderful idea for a series of other linked garments! Fun!

Melinda_B

Quote from: Morzel on May 13, 2019, 11:38:18 pmSo, how do the SWAP pieces work out for you this year? Wearing them? Are those of you who did not finish end of april still sewing? And content with what you sewed up to then? How about those who dropped out because of medical issues (angelsweb, Melinda, bobbingbeth), how are you doing? 

I currently have my mother staying with us for ten days.  She lives on the other side of the country, so we usually only see each other for a few days at Christmas time.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   

My legs are healing well, and I'm on a graduated return to running program - which I've already managed to overdo and wear myself out.  No injuries, just a very tired body.  I underestimated how much fitness I had lost.

Winter has just started to bite here, so most of my SWAP plans are unsuitable for the cold (relative cold, it only gets to about 5°C here at it's coldest).  I'm currently in need of bottoms to wear to work, and trying not to wear trousers.  When mum leaves next week I have plans to spend the following couple of weeks restocking my work wardrobe, and probably some active wear - Jalie is releasing new patterns in the next few days.

Thanks for asking Morzel!  :heart:
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

indigotiger

QuoteSo, how do the SWAP pieces work out for you this year? Wearing them? Are those of you who did not finish end of april still sewing? And content with what you sewed up to then?
Although I didn't finish in time for actual entry into SWAP competition, the seven garments I did complete have proven to be wonderfully versatile, and all have been worn multiple times already.
1. brown corduroy pinafore - can be worn with all my blouses and most of my knit tops
2. indigo pinstripe dress - can be worn on its own or under any of my pinafores
3. brown/cream mushroom print shirt - can be worn under any of my pinafores
4. brown chambray linen blouse - can be worn under any of my pinafores
5. indigo/multicolor floral print blouse - can be worn under any of my pinafores
6. taupe/multicolor feather print knit top - can be worn under any of my pinafores
7. handknit lopi cardigan (dark/light blue) - fills the niche of midrange outer layer in blue/indigo

(I finished this one after SWAP ended, but it is definitely going to be so useful for cooler weather)
8. handknit lopi cropped pullover - The color of this is a sort of multicolor overlay on black, basically dark, with shades of teal and various other subtle colors. It reminds me of the sort of "oil-slick" colors sometimes seen on glass. It will look best with the clothing I have that has turquoise/teal as an accent, or as itself an accent garment if I am wearing all black.

I've been really focused on some major work projects ever since I returned from my trip to see my Aged Parents, but once work slows down I will be back to completing some summer dresses for myself, including the popover in marbled indigo rayon that was going to be part of this years SWAP
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Lisanne

How marvellous that there are so many entries this year   :thumbsup:
but it is going to be difficult to vote  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

warpjr1965

Thanks Morzel for starting a post-SWAP assessment!

I said this last year, and I'll say it again this year: this is the most cohesive collection I have put forward yet.  Here are the garments I have worn the most:

1. Jalie eleonores: I love these pants!  Have been worn many times already to work.
2. burda crop trousers: I love these too!  Will make another pair soon.
3. All the blue shirts: versatile for work or weekend.
4. Pink ponte skirt: Worn for Mother's day, super comfy.
5. Ivory knit sweater: also worn for Mother's day.

I have plenty of pink and blue left, and some Ivory, so I am basically planning a SWAP extension for the summer, with the main piece to be the jacket I hoped to complete for SWAP.
Wendy

luz clara

A couple of my SWAP garments are already favorites - the Issey Miyake tunic in coral wool/linen blend is perfect! Perfect color, perfect weight, and so soft and comfortable. Today I wore it over my purple Style Arc Lani tunic. It was a glowing outfit! Last night I decided to make some changes to the two tank tops I sewed for SWAP - make the necklines a bit lower and the armholes a bit bigger. It might be Fall here (Sept or Oct) til I wear my purple and coral jacket. Things are warming up. I love the purple bolero-sweater and will wear it in the mornings when it's still cool. And  I'm still auditioning the other garments. Some of them will be summer clothes. Some will be fall or all year clothes. I am still in love with the colors and the ways they go together. And I'm plotting a couple of summer dresses that won't match any of my SWAP pieces! Luz Clara

Sew Ruthie Sews

I'm wearing my ink trousers with a purchased blouse and have to say they are super comfortable.
There are from bengaline fabric which is very comfortable to wear and resists crumples.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Medea

Quote from: Morzel on May 13, 2019, 11:38:18 pmSo, how do the SWAP pieces work out for you this year? Wearing them?

I think this year's SWAP wardrobe is my all time favorite. But it is really a wardrobe for a hot summer and I've been in Sweden for a couple of weeks and now when back in Provence we have unusually cold weather. But I hope it will turn to warmer weather soon and then I'm prepared.

Until then I sew some more tops and I dream of a summer coat, maybe a trench style. I found this lovely pattern today and maybe I'll sew it.

It's Ulysses Trench from Victory Patterns.

I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

stephaniecan

Love hearing about everyone's successes this year!

Medea: That trench is lovely!

Melinda: So happy to hear you are getting back into the swing of things again. I also want to start a running program again but am waiting until my ankle feels a bit more stable. I am almost there. I have been walking up and down hills in Tuscany and getting stronger.

Lisa Laree

Well...I wore the white T from my collection today and spilled coffee on it.  Here's hoping the prewash spray gets it out!  The black pants are already wardrobe staples.  I'm taking a trip next week and expect to pack at least some of my garments; they all aren't suitable for this particular adventure but the items that are will be going.

Morzel

I think as we are no SWAP newbies we are getting better in sewing stuff that really suit our needs and styles. There will always be the one or other thing that is not going to get as much wear as the others (skirt in my wardrobe!), but in general I get the impression we know now aboit what to sew!  :thumbsup:
I am visiting my parents, in the bag: the Morris Blazer, the two polo shirts, the twill pants, the sweater. The rest of Swap needs a bit warmer temps. Well, I could have taken the seagulls...
Eva

dementedfairy

Oooh let me think
I'm wearing my brightly striped t shirts a LOT, as well as the navy trousers.
The green ones need tweaking, and I need to fractionally shorten the purple ones as they get too wet without my highest heels!
The thick navy sweater is temporarily retired until really cold weather returns.
The shirts [skulls and aurora/trees]are being worn a lot, more than I expected, although it hasn't yet been warm enough to trial the ivory silk one.
The geodesic has become a casual favourite, but I'm at work more often than not, so it isn't getting as many wears as the others...and I must find where I've put the fractal one cos I love it!
All in all, a very successful batch of sewing, and I'm loving them.  Switching gradually to warmer weather clothes now, and my favourite spring dresses are getting their annual airing...I've even risked short sleeves once or twice.
TOTALLY immersed in Oz sewing at the moment, which is huge fun.  There will be plenty of posts on my blog about that for anyone who's interested, although I have to first get pics of them being worn, then edit out the kids' faces!
MANY MANY thanks to Mudcat
Now I have to work out how to vote, I don't see a new message option right now
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

mudcat

DF,

Click on MyMessages and there should be New | Drafts in the top left side

Morzel

Yes, many thanks to mudcat!!

Dementedfairy, good to hear you sewed up a successful bunch. Had to laugh about the pant getting wet... at the bottom.

As soon as I am home again its voting time!
Eva

Morzel

My SWAP is not complete anymore... I visited my mother, and she really liked the pink polo shirt. It suited her, it fit her, I gave it to her. So now I have to pair the garments with a regular longsleeved tshirt I sewed up from the rest of the pink fabric.
Eva

Melinda_B

Quote from: Morzel on May 20, 2019, 05:35:17 amMy SWAP is not complete anymore... I visited my mother, and she really liked the pink polo shirt. It suited her, it fit her, I gave it to her. So now I have to pair the garments with a regular longsleeved tshirt I sewed up from the rest of the pink fabric. 

That sounds like my mother and I!  Funnily enough, she's the one who taught me to sew, but now rarely does.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

sewsy

Quote from: Morzel on May 20, 2019, 05:35:17 amMy SWAP is not complete anymore... I visited my mother, and she really liked the pink polo shirt. It suited her, it fit her, I gave it to her. So now I have to pair the garments with a regular longsleeved tshirt I sewed up from the rest of the pink fabric.

I love that pink polo shirt too, Morzel!!!

sharonspils

Well as you have probably figured out life did get in the way big time and my sewing time has been very hit and miss.  I did finish a lemon t-shirt and a pair of shorts but 3 garments just won't make it.

I am so impressed with everyone's output and there are some amazing pieces.  Now off to check out the gallery, I don't expect it to be easy to select only 3 winners.

treefrog

Hi Everyone,  I've fallen off the radar again.  April and May is the busiest time of the year for me and really wish I had a bit more time to keep up with all the happenings on SWAP.

Absolutely loved looking at the gallery.  Stunning work! 

Morzel

Good to hear from you, @sharonspils . Your dress was so fabulous, I was really interested in what was to come. Sorry to hear you did not get around sewing much, I do hope whatever life threw your way was not bad!

Eva

stephaniecan

Eva: I also really love your perfect polo! I can completely understand why your mom took it! I want to make a similar one.

stephaniecan

Just voted and I have to say I found it extremely challenging. I could easily have tied multiple collections for the top three spots. I think we should all feel good about the friendly and successful competition!

I really wish the weather would improve here so I can actually use my clothes...

Helen M

It was really hard to choose 3 winners this year,they were al so good, well done everyone!
Sewing in Cheshire