• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 08:23:17 pm

News:

A big Thank-You to all of you for your continuing support of Stitcher's Guild. :)

SWAP 2019 - Discussion

Started by indigotiger, December 28, 2018, 12:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Morzel

Dementedfairy, you must be right about the grading... the pattern lines don't hit you at all where they are supposed to hit. Look at the official pattern photo: the center of the sextagon should be right between your bustpoints! But, the pattern as such is a wonderful design and I really like your colour blocking! hope you will find a way to adjust. I also like your fractal top... good to have a rewarding pattern at hand!

Eva

stephaniecan

Both tops are very cool, demented fairy, even with a bit of extra length in the second one.

Eva: Love the wardrobe shaping up!

warpjr1965

Eva and Demented Fairy,  love how you both are just chugging along!  Big kudos to anyone attempting that Geodesic top, looks complex!

I don't know why I never remember how busy April is for me! Taxes, and this year the kiddo making college decisions, sheesh. I am very far behind where I hoped I would be, and no sewing in sight this week. I think though, if I can finish 2 bottoms, I'll be in good shape to complete SWAP on time.
Wendy

Sew Ruthie Sews

OK I am back in the game with a lace top in my ink colourway.
I'll finish the half made jacket next and then work on a bottom piece (probably trousers).
I had better count up what I've made so far and see how it is looking.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

Sew Ruthie Sews

Looking through my pieces I'm a bit concerned how it will all photograph, the ink is very dark blue and the dark teal is also very dark but a blue/green. I think they might all just look dark in the photos.

I remember one year making a black/green tweed skirt, a dark grey skirt and a dark green skirt and they all looked extremely similar to one another in the outfit shots.

Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Morzel

April 12, 2019, 02:46:01 am #285 Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:49:37 am by Morzel
Ruthie, the lace tshirt looks very good! I really like the arms being unlined.
I think that photographing the garments in natural light, like you did last year, brings out the colours really well. So maybe we should use a weekend day with good weather already now to photograph one or another outfit?!
Eva

Morzel

Right now, nice, blazerlike cardigans seem an appealing idea to me. I made a Morrisblazer, which I really like. It is comfortable like a cardigan, but more 'elegant'. Then I found this pattern: Schnieke Wiebke - I absolutely LOVE that blazer! Here's an example : what a great idea to use ribbing for the collar!

But when thinking about sewing it up, I realised that, even though I like such a type of garment, I would rather grab a sweater in the morning when dressing. All those beautiful blazers people wear, I feel I don't know when to wear them... I live in a not-very-warm, often windy climate, I get cold, I often want something that covers my front for warmth, and most of all - my outerwear doesn't match a blazer. Those outfits shown with the Morris or the Wiebke, they are always jeans, tshirt (yes, yes), blazer. And nothing over it. That's fine in the house, but when I go out? What would you wear over such a blazer? Any suggestions? Or maybe it is just the sort of garment I wear in the few weeks it is warm enough to not need a jacket...
Eva

CCL

Eva..just popping up to say... What about a simple vest under the jacket?

For outer wear, I have a wonderful knee length wool coat with a high wide collar that works over a blazer.  I can wear the coat with jeans or with fancier stuff.  It's rtw so I don't have a photo handy...but maybe I can track down something similar.  Probably something akin to a man's winter top coat but with some fun style.

Lisanne

Morzel - I agree with the layering problems in a moderate-to-cool climate.  I wear a 'jacket' without front fastenings in the summer.  But in the winter it's definitely either a 'pullover' top or a jacket that closes snuggly up to the neck.
Quite apart from the fact that a classic 'blazer' is too crisp a style for me. . .
Do all the wardrobe planners who ignore these needs always live in powerful central heating  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

stephaniecan

Eva: This is an interesting conundrum! Living in a very cold climate where the change from outside to inside temperature can be extreme, I do a bunch of things with blazers (which I love). One is to wear an underlayer under the shirt I wear under the blazer (could be fine silk or merino; layers are key to warmth, even thin ones). Another is to wear a fine cashmere sweater over my shirt but under the blazer. These sweaters usually have fairly fitted arms and small armscyes, so they fit neatly under the blazer. Silk can be surprisingly insulating, so I often wear a silk shirt under a fine sweater and then a blazer on top. Over a blazer, in transitional seasons, I tend to wear a boxy jacket or coat, which doesn't interfere with the shoulders of the blazer or feel too tight. Lots of options! :) A vest, as CCL suggests, is another one.

Ruthie: Glad to hear you are back to your prodigious SWAP sewing!

Morzel

Ah, CCL, a vest really is a nice idea. I visited a friend a few weeks ago, and his wife was wearing this wonderful handknitted vest with a wide bottom ribbing. I noticed back then how good it looked over a button-front shirt. But good for underneath a cardi-like blazer as well! Even though I don't really knit, I think I can do it (when reading a pattern and looking at youtube again, as I only knitted a few sweaters ever and that is a few years back...). But not before the end of SWAP... So, this gets on my to-do-list for this summervacation!
Eva

Lisanne

Tuesday will be the point at which you have 2 weeks left for SWAP.
So Good Luck to all finishers, we are really looking forward to what you have done.

Of course if you have to take the Easter weekend away from sewing, then you have already passed the '14 days to go' point.

On the other hand - if you use speedy patterns, there's plenty of time to sew a whole SWAP between now and the end of April.
You could even sew a whole SWAP over the Easter weekend  - well perhaps not if you go to church as well  ;D
https://sewingplums.wordpress.com/2019/03/02/sew-a-garment-in-less-than-3-hours-2019-patterns/
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

stephaniecan

Good suggestions, Lisanne. For my part, I am trying to balance simple with desired/planned so that I can finish. I think I probably can if I keep a reasonable momentum over the next two weeks, especially if I repeat patterns.

luz clara

You cannot see attachments on this board.good grief it's mid April. Not being an Easter celebrator I'm taking a long weekend w/my sister at the coast. And taking my sewing machine and whatever I have left. I'm going to cut out my final 3 garments today. The ones I've been waiting for - the PRINTS!

Meanwhile here is a clue to my SWAP - featuring the coral w/moth stencils tunic. I carefully took apart a vintage kimono to get strips of fabric I could use to put the tunic together!

luz clara

apparently attaching two copies of a photo does not make either one of them right way up.
Luz Clara

CCL

April 14, 2019, 01:10:13 pm #295 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:42:02 pm by CCL
Luz clara, when I click the photos, they pop out right side up!

What a beautiful jacket!   Love the matching of the lines down the front closure.  Gorgeous.

ETA:  Stephanie - wow! what great fitting pants.   And everyone - Morzel, Demented Fairy, Ruthie, CrazyQuilter, Sharon, IndigoTiger, Medea, Treefrog, Warpjr1965, Mary, Elizabeth, Melinda and anyone else I missed, good luck with your last few days of sewing.  Can't wait to see the finished collections.

stephaniecan

Thanks, CCL. I am feeling very happy that I persevered with the pants.

Luz Clara: I second CCL's comment about the nice pattern matching across the front of your pretty jacket!

I also second CCL's encouragement to everyone else. I can't wait to see everyone's collections.

I hope I can finish. I'm feeling hopeful if I can keep up the momentum!

Morzel

Uuh, Luz Clara, what a beautiful fabric!!

Dementedfairy - handsewing a blouse??!! Wow, I envy your patience. I had to do the hem of my skirt by hand and it felt like ages until I finished.

Stephaniecan - great pants! So well fitting! And really nice fabric, again.

I finished another item. I took my TNT tshirt and morphed it with a Silhouette pattern to make a poloshirt. Wearing it right now underneath my seagreen sweater!
Eva

mudcat

I've been mostly MIA and haven't kept up with the threads.  I've not sewn in forever and I've no idea when I will again thus my interest in reading about it has waned though I still make my rounds here and there. 

There are two weeks left until the deadline.  How many of you will finish? 

I will be posting the gallery instructions soon and if you have any last minute questions about the rules please ask in the Official Rules thread soon as I will be on vacation from 26Apr until 5May and will not be online.

Sew Ruthie Sews

Two weeks! I have not finished and am going away next week. However I should get some SWAP sewing time that final weekend so hopefully will be able to turn in a collection. I had better re-read the rules to make sure I'm all legal.
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK

Melinda_B

Quote from: mudcat on April 15, 2019, 07:33:17 pmThere are two weeks left until the deadline.  How many of you will finish?

I'm not going to finish, after being out of action for eight weeks with my leg surgery.  Healing well now, after going back in two weeks ago for surgical debridement of one of the incisions that became infected....

I do need to look at a wardrobe for work, for winter.  The weather has changed very suddenly here and I've just realised how few warm clothes I have this year.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

stephaniecan

Melinda: Glad to hear you are healing again. You have had a tough go!

Ruthie: Glad to hear you will likely turn in a collection.

Mudcat: Sorry to hear you have lost your interest for the time being.

I am not sure that I'll be able to finish, but I am within striking range. I'm just trying to map out what my last three garments will be and how to finish them in the next two weeks. I technically have only four garments completely done, but one more is done but the hemming, another is almost done and another will be sewn this week. Another one is half done, etc. I have a lot of projects in progress! I traced another pattern on Monday and am making adjustments but that one would also be easy to sew. I just need to get organized. I have half of the four-day Easter weekend for sewing.

crazyquilter

With four garments sewn and one nearly finished, it's looking like I'm not going to finish by the deadline.  Instead of causing me to get busy, the looming deadline seems to have had the opposite effect.  Or maybe that was spring and the busier time of year.  I do plan to keep sewing however and will add things to my thread as I finish them.

I am counting this SWAP a success even if I only get half done by the deadline.  I am sewing for myself again after many years of not doing so.  I have a TNT pattern that I really like and is easily varied.  I have a second pattern that I think I will use a lot and will work well with refashioning thrifted garments which I like to do.  I have six dresses that are in constant rotation in my wardrobe if you count the muslins, which I do as they were preparation for SWAP.

Morzel

April 17, 2019, 06:07:14 am #303 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:15:19 am by Morzel
I am finished. At least in numbers. I am still tweaking, as time permits.

Quote from: crazyquilter on April 17, 2019, 06:00:35 amI am counting this SWAP a success even if I only get half done by the deadline.  I am sewing for myself again after many years of not doing so.  I have a TNT pattern that I really like and is easily varied.  I have a second pattern that I think I will use a lot and will work well with refashioning thrifted garments which I like to do.  I have six dresses that are in constant rotation in my wardrobe if you count the muslins, which I do as they were preparation for SWAP.

That's just how it was for me the last years. Every SWAP brought a new TNT and wearable clothes, even if I didn't finish. Sucess!

Melinda - yes, focus on the clothes you need now. Good to hear everything is going well (now).

Mudcat - I hope you have a good time whilst being away End of April.

stephaniecan - keep going! Great job, sewing that much with a broken ankle during SWAP!

Ruthie - I have to reread as well - there were many clarifications that got me a bit confused. Good luck with finishing! I think we all count on you finishing. SWAP wouldn't be the same without one of your great collections.
Eva

dementedfairy

I think I'll finish, although that geodesic sweater just isn't going to work at the new shorter length, so it has to go back under the knife!  I aim to finish the silk blouse today or tomorrow, and then knock out a nice and easy T shirt and maybe some trousers [although the Oz costumes are calling VERY loudly, and soon-to-be-made Toto is yipping in my ear...]
Checkered flag in sight everyone!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

CCL

Wonderful to see those finishing their SWAPs - and those who may not finish but still have gorgeous pieces added to their wardrobes!

CrazyQuilter and Melinda - it's great that neither of you sound discouraged!  if it helps, last year even though I had no hopes of finishing on time, I kept sewing along, interrupting for other tasks, up until I think October last year before I finished 11 pieces. (Although admittedly, I never made the one thing that caused me the most difficulty in terms of finding an appropriate pattern for the fabric.) 

What's interesting to me six months later is that every piece gets worn and worn a lot.  In fact, I am pulling out the print dress since it's getting warm enough to start wearing it again.  And several of the patterns which were new to me before being included in SWAP -- the jacket, the jersey pull on pants, the turtleneck -- are now in the pile to be made up in different fabric.  I just love the way SWAP sewing makes me think about planning and following through.

Last year's Slow Sewing SWAP

treefrog

April 17, 2019, 06:15:35 pm #306 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:22:07 pm by treefrog
Eva - I'm looking forward to seeing your SWAP all together.  Your pieces look so good.    I like the Fisher blouse you made.  Interestingly, I had a McCalls pattern, very similar to this, sitting on my desk that I was considering making up.  It's definitely on the to-do pile now.  Thanks!

Stephanie - Great fit on the pants!

Melinda - Sorry to hear you had to go back for more surgery. Hope it heals quickly.  I'm glad your weather is changing.  We are still breaking heat records in my neck of the woods.

Good luck to those still sewing.  Looking forward to seeing the final collections. I'm sorry I haven't been posting much, but with the summer sads and a flare up of a back injury, I haven't felt very cheery or chatty lately.  My SWAP is finished but I haven't done the photos of the last couple of items.  What I am excited about is that I finally have a fitting bodice and sleeve sloper. 

Happy sewing everyone

warpjr1965

No sewing here.
So many things going on: vacation, work, sick dog (she's ok now), college visits and planning, taxes.
I am aiming to finish, but I am also going to be kind to myself and just finish what I can.
Wendy

stephaniecan

Eva: Just saw your blouse and polo shirt. Great! I have always wanted to have a few polo shirts for summertime but haven't made or bought any. I won't have time to do this for SWAP but you are giving me ideas for post-SWAP.

Wendy: The best thing to do is to be gentle with oneself! I plan to do the same if I find I can't quite make it this year.

boppingbeth

I don't know if I can finish.  Between the whole return to work stuff and tMy son in law who went in for emergency surgery at the end of February, it has been a really rough two months.  He spent 5 weeks in hospital, 17 of that sedated and intubated in ICU.  Two surgeries, 2 cancer lumps removed along with part of his colon.  Now comes the long healing process where we drive back and forth an hour and a half each way to help food prep every week so they can get through.  I haven't been near a sewing machine since it started.

If I do finish, it will be the two week miracle, lol. 

fzxdoc

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law, @boppingbeth . It sounds as though the whole family has been through the wringer as well, as you all provide love, help, and support. I hope he does well and that the cancer is gone for good.

Here's hoping that a bit of sewing will calm your worries and provide some much-needed stress relief.

I wish you, your family, and your son-in-law well.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Melinda_B

I keep coming back and looking at this.  Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to use a raglan sleeve pullover pattern and draft your own fractal lines?  Draw the grain line on the pattern first, so it's in all the triangles, then just draw your triangles in with the centre in the middle of the bust.  Add seam allowances, cut and sew.  It's not a fitted top with darts etc, so should be reasonable easy.  Worst case, move a dart into a seamline, for the larger busted ladies who need a dart.

Quote from: Morzel on April 08, 2019, 06:53:57 amDementedfairy, you must be right about the grading... the pattern lines don't hit you at all where they are supposed to hit. Look at the official pattern photo: the center of the sextagon should be right between your bustpoints! But, the pattern as such is a wonderful design and I really like your colour blocking! hope you will find a way to adjust. I also like your fractal top... good to have a rewarding pattern at hand!

Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

CCL

Quote from: boppingbeth on April 19, 2019, 05:45:08 amI don't know if I can finish.  Between the whole return to work stuff and tMy son in law who went in for emergency surgery at the end of February, it has been a really rough two months.  He spent 5 weeks in hospital, 17 of that sedated and intubated in ICU.  Two surgeries, 2 cancer lumps removed along with part of his colon.  Now comes the long healing process where we drive back and forth an hour and a half each way to help food prep every week so they can get through.  I haven't been near a sewing machine since it started.

If I do finish, it will be the two week miracle, lol. 

Oh no, BoppinBeth.  Sending positive energies of healing your way.

boppingbeth

Thank you.  He is getting better but it is mighty slow. 

Same for me.

dementedfairy

Quote from: Melinda_B on April 19, 2019, 06:54:14 amI keep coming back and looking at this.  Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to use a raglan sleeve pullover pattern and draft your own fractal lines?  Draw the grain line on the pattern first, so it's in all the triangles, then just draw your triangles in with the centre in the middle of the bust.  Add seam allowances, cut and sew.  It's not a fitted top with darts etc, so should be reasonable easy.  Worst case, move a dart into a seamline, for the larger busted ladies who need a dart.

No doubt- the issue is because it's modelled after a geodesic dome therefore equilateral triangles.  If you take away that restriction, it's just lines on a sweatshirt....
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...