Author Topic: Paco Peralta Patterns  (Read 24403 times)

Offline Kiwi_Jenn

Re: Paco Peralta Patterns
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
Deb - I got the 10% refunded after I purchased, so it ended up as $30.40 for the set.  I think he may have a coupon code up for the 10% off, but I didn't notice it until after I checked out.

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
I read the last 2 posts and kept thinking 'why did my Perfect Outfit set of patterns cost more than $38?  So I went back to my PayPal order to check and realized none of you are including the additional $16 shipping charge for the patterns. 

And yes, I immediately got a $7.60 discount refund once I had placed my order.  Did have to enter the word "Couture" in the Keycode box.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
I got my pattern package today. I'm impressed...these patterns are immaculately drafted. On super nice architectural vellum. No way am I cutting into these babies! I don't really have time at the moment to get these out and give them the test. But I had to open the envelopes and take a quick look.

One thing I saw right off, is that his centimeter/inch sizing is a bit wonky. (I use both, and go back and forth...unique to me, most likely.) There is so much ease in the jacket that the end result won't matter much...but it's worth looking at. The medium jacket is sized for 32 to 36 inch bust. If you compare that to the centimeter sizing, it should be more like 30 1/2 inches to 37 1/2 inch bust.

Length is interesting, too. The short skirt length is just about the same as what Peggy Sager's uses for her calf-length for my height. The long length would hit me about ankle length, and I'm 5 feet 3 in. tall. I'd add about 5cm (2 inch) to make this "long"...if you were tall, I think you'd need to add a fair amount of length. (I need to double check all this...I did it fast because I really need to be finishing other sewing...)

I also think his patterns are made for wispy little Spanish girls! Since I'm not wispy, nor Spanish, I tried this on DD...who care wear a US size 4. She would take a small waist and a large hip...in the skirt.

These aren't really complaints...just observations. For example, he has a few tiny little mistakes with the English, but the result is personal and charming. I can't wait to use these...I'm making the skirt first.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
Bessie, thank you for the information. It's fun to learn about Paco's patterns, and the size measurements are good to know.

I have the Draped Top pattern which I am eager to sew in both a knit and a woven once I finally emerge from WeddingGownSewingLand. I absolutely loved the knit Draped Top made by Ann Steeves (silk knit):

and the woven Draped Top made by ahearta (4-ply silk):

(These photos were previously posted on this same topic; I'm just reposting them here for comparison and inspiration.)

As I recall, you bought the 3 pack of his patterns, so I look forward to your report on the making of all three pieces. It will be an outstanding ensemble, I'm thinking. :)

Kathryn
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:51:36 AM by fzxdoc »

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2012, 03:08:21 AM »
Bessiecrocker,  I would be lost with that skirt pattern. How can a size 4 US possible need a large in the hips.  I am a size 10-12 which means I would need a XXXXL.   Hopefully the patterns contain a huge range of sizes. 

Deb 
Deb

Living in Northwest Missouri

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
I have not been able to figure out whether the patterns are single sized or multi-sized.  In other words, do the S, M, L, etc come in one or do you have to order each size individually?

Thanks,
Karleene

Offline jem

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
They come in onepattern at least thecowl neck did

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Both patterns I have included all sizes.

Offline Gorgeous Things

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Gorgeous Fabrics
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
All the patterns I have from Paco are multi-sized

HTH
Proud sponsor of Stitchers Guild!
My store: http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/
My blog: http://blog.gorgeousfabrics.com/

Offline Sewshopper

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Thanks, I love that cowl.

Karleene

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
The skirt is multi-sized...from small 24.5 inch waist to XL 34 inch waist
                                               small 34 inch hips to XL 43 in. hips

The metric and non-metric info is consistant. PP's (brief) instructions indicate that you can easily trace the pattern and use whichever combination you need to get the right fit.       

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
I made up a muslin of the Chinese Jacket which I'm really happy with! Cut according to my bust size, no alterations needed. There are subtle things about this pattern that I hadn't noticed when ordering - like the shaping of the hem. Next version will be in more of a luxury fabric and will follow the original more closely. I left off the lining, bound buttonholes, and the special button technique that gives an effect like Chinese Knots.

This one will probably get worn mostly as a top. I wrote a really gushy blog post about this, because I like it so much and really enjoyed making it as well. Makes me want to revisit Paco's other patterns. I only muslined the drape-front top, and want to make a nice version or two of that. And I wanted to adapt the T coat to work as an oversized top.

The Chinese Jacket:

If the fabric looks a little odd, it's because several years ago I though it was too contrasty and decided to overdye it. Not sure now it was the right decision, but it doesn't stop me from really liking this garment.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
Robyn - I commented on your blog but it's worth commenting again.  Your jacket is stunning.  I can't believe I missed that pattern.  Yes, of course, it's already ordered!! ;D ;D  I've not made the draped top of the T coat yet.  You need to slow up - I'm having trouble keeping up with you.

Your choice of fabric for this 'muslin' was great - Looks good on you.  I'll hope I can do 'out of the box' also.  Thanks for posting.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Robyn, I love the color of your new blouse.  It looks so bright and rich on my monitor at least.  Pattern lines are lovely!
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Online sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2012, 04:27:48 AM »
Robyn It's really stunning!

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »
I've made a few of Paco's patterns - half-circle skirt (4 times), draped top (6 times), Unique coat (2 times) and the tennis skirt once. I made the Unique coat in a faux fur and left it unlined: the second time was in shetland wool and I bagged the lining. I lengthened the sleeves and the body for the wool version and added patch pockets rather than the in-seam ones. What I like about the designs is the apparent simplicity but there are a few tricks hidden in the cutting and construction. I'm a UK 14 and usually cut between the M and L lines on the pattern. Just remember there are no written instructions so the internet and blogs are always helpful.

Ruth
http://sewruth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/paco-for-weekend.html

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
I just finished a muslin version of the half-circle skirt for DD. (Took forever for a simple skirt due to "life, etc.") Don't wait for a photo unless I hold a gun to DD.  >:D Also, the fabric was a bit of left over black crepe, so you wouldn't see much.

This is a wonderful pattern...I thought it was a bit stupid to pay money for a circle skirt pattern...but this is very nice! It fits closely through the hips then flares at the hem. Very flattering. Swing-y but doesn't make you look like you're wearing a 50s poodle skirt.

The only instructions that come with the skirt is the fabric requirement: 1.5 meters. I had exactly 1.49 meters. When I laid it out, I thought "no way!, I really need 2 meters for this." But, because of PP's note I had a bit of a think, and figured out how to do it...(no pattern layout included)...and you can get this out of 1.5 meters. Exactly! No waste cutting. Don't change the length! The length is clever...it uses the fabric very efficiently and would give a knee to calf length skirt on anyone from circa 5ft8 to 5ft.  The hem allowance is included...you have to figure that out yourself, too. 

Pattern paper, too, is super nice. I had the pattern laid out on the floor and wet dog thought it was her bed. This is solid paper...it survived the dog!

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Ruth and Bessie, you've both hit on what makes these patterns special to me. The styles are all apparently simple, but there is lots of finesse in the cut. I've heard rumors of a plus-size top that he'll be releasing next. Since I always have to use his largest size, I'm pretty sure the new top will work for me, too.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
Just received a notice from Etsy that Paco has 2 new patterns out and 15% off all patterns thru the end of Oct - coupon code is OCTOBER
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
Paco has sent me the two new patterns to 'test'. They arrived today and now I'm really nervous.
Should I buy new fabrics to do them justice? I was looking at Linton tweed at 22/m last night....
Should I stop what I'm in the middle of and start these?
What if I make a mess of them?
Good grief I'm under pressure here

Ruth

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
When I read the first sentence I thought - oh, lucky you - then in reading the whole post - yes, I'd have the same thoughts and questions.  Not much help except to say - I'd love to see pics of the finished garments.  I'm not a skirt/dress person - the top looked "interesting" but not something I'd wear.  I still need to make the cowl top and the coolie jacket.  If Robyn doesn't make anymore Paco's for a while I might get "caught up" ;D ;D  Good luck in whatever you decide.

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
I just looked at Paco's patterns on Esty and although the patterns prices are reasonable it showed that the shipping cost was $16 per pattern and no discount for multiple patterns.  Is that correct? 

Deb
Deb

Living in Northwest Missouri

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
Has anyone made this tunic as a dress?

I think it could be stunning...or it could be oversized and look awful on me.  It has dropped shoulders, which is okay if the overall fit is right, but if it is oversized it will drown me out.  Anyone tried this?
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Deb, I don't remember what I paid for shipping, and have only bought one pattern at a time, but considering they're coming from Spain, I didn't think it was too high. It does make them expensive patterns when you add it all up. To me, they are worth it for a style I like.

I'm not a skirt girl but want to give the new top a whirl.

Janis, I've only gotten as far as picking out fabric for the tunic. To me, it already looks like a dress in the photo - it's a long, long tunic!

Ruth, I vote that you drop everything and make the patterns right away. You don't have anything else pressing to do, do you? :-)  And be sure to show us pictures!

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
Got a lot of sewing completed over the last few days and one of the items is Paco's Apron skirt. Easy and yet so unique. I can't believe how well this fits and the pattern pieces went together perfectly.
More details you know where...

http://sewruth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/pacos-apron-skirt.html

Ruth

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
Ruth I love the skirt - looks very nice on.  I just read your blog and looked at your Paco things.  I really need to dig out my 'unique jacket' and wear it - with my jeans.  I just don't wear it.  I love what you've done with his patterns.  Thanks for posting.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »
Ruth, you look super cute in that skirt! I enjoyed looking at the rest of your Paco collection, too. Seeing your drape-front tops made me think how nice that pattern would look in the Radience silk/cotton blend. I used that fabric once before for a totally incompatible style. The body would need to be underlined, as Ann did hers. You also have me longing for the Unique Jacket.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Ruth, your PP apron skirt really turned out nice. Is the apron a complete separate piece, lined? I can barely make out its impression from your 'blog photos, which is why I ask the question. It looks like a very subtle addition to a pencil skirt. Not that that is a bad thing--in fact, it's very clever, IMO, to give the conventional pencil skirt a bit of a twist.

Kathrym

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
Sorry Kathryn, I did answer your question but the server chewed it up! the apron piece is separate and joined to the 'frame' that forms the whole front of the skirt. I don't know why my camera is taking such poor quality photos recently I suspect teenage son has been 'fiddling'.

Ruth

Offline Ruth F

• sewruth
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
I've just finished the new Paco Peralta Pattern the Treky Top- head on over to http://sewruth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/beam-me-up-scotty.html
to see the results.

Yet another one I can recommend. I know it doesn't look the most brilliant top in the world I can assure you it is both beautiful to wear and make.

Ruth

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2012, 02:51:52 AM »
Ruth, nice looking top.  I just read your blog.  Nice looking fabric.  Makes a really nice outfit.  And I love the untique jacket in the faux fur.  AND , I'm using my unique jacket as my go to 'coat' until the weather turns real cold!  Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
RuthF, you forgot the most important feature! That is a really flattering and sliming outfit. Wow. Maybe I missed this on your blog...but did you cut the cuff edges of the sleeves out of contrast fabric, or is that how the pattern is made? (or is it simply how it looks in the photo?) Meaning you could cut this out of smaller bits of fabric.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
The whole outfit is so elegant, Ruth! I passed on the trekky top because of the neckline, but it looks lovely scooped a little more the way you did. So I might have to reconsider.

Offline andib

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
Ruth, your outfit is FAB!  I just wonder how those pattern would look on me, as I am a bit fluffy.  I am sure i would need to re-size them, but that is something I am used to.  Love, love, love those paco designs.

Offline Sandra

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
Ruth, thanks so much for the link to your blog post about this beautiful Treky Top. I commented on your blog but forgot to mention how much I like how you scooped the neck in front. I'd do that, too.
Sandra in Clarence NY (near Buffalo and Niagara Falls)
My blog: Making It With Help
And now I'm on Twitter @SandraCarden

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics