Author Topic: What to wear at wedding reception?  (Read 9311 times)

Offline CassandraW

What to wear at wedding reception?
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
I've been invited to an evening wedding reception and don't have a clue what to wear.  I'm "old school" and was raised to never wear any dark colors to a wedding, but I know times have changed.  What is appropriate now?  Do I wear a spring color or do I treat this like a black tie event?  Help - I'm so confused! 

Zalin

Re: What to wear at wedding reception?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »
This is tricky, isn't it? I hope someone with more experience comes along and has a better answer for you.

In the meantime, I will tell you that I was surprised (I think I've mentioned this before) at the last evening wedding reception I went to most women wore something with black in it. I don't know if black is just a popular clothing color now or if everyone just prefers it. Most were in dresses. I wore a pantsuit because I don't like dresses. And I wore blue. I am a friend of the groom's mother and I simply asked what color the wedding colors were. I showed up at a wedding once wearing the same colors as the wedding party. Awkward!  :laugh:

Maybe that's why so much black. Maybe nobody wanted to match the wedding party. You have to be careful of that now, though, because a lot of weddings are black, white, red (or some other color) themed.

Here is what I know for sure. Nobody and I mean nobody cared about what I wore. It was all about the bride and groom and that they were having fun. I wouldn't have shown up in jeans and a t-shirt, but you know what I'm saying.

Offline Spudwyfe

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
The time and place of the event can help -- for example, an afternoon wedding and reception is less formal than an evening one, an outdoor wedding and reception less formal than an indoor one (usually).  If still in doubt, contact the mother of the bride or groom to ask about how causal/formal the event will be and as Zalin mentioned, what colors to avoid.  There is nothing wrong with being appropriately dressed for the occasion and unfortunately, so very many people these days don't even make the effort.

Hope this helps!

Spud

Offline subversivesewer

• Someday I will figure this sewing thing out!
    • Crafty Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
I've been to a couple weddings over the past 2 years.  Boy, there is a variety!  The 'no black' rule is definitely over.  Some unfortunate souls also think the 'no white' rule is also over.  Ugh!  It seems that a nice cocktail dress is the best way to go.  A cotton dress is good for a daytime wedding, especially if it's not a formal one.  Almost no female wears pants.  For entertainment, here's a list of fashion faux pas I saw at a wedding I attended 2 weeks ago:
crocs
leggings worn as pants
very visible bra
beach coverup worn as dress
recycled bridesmaid dress from another wedding
short, tight dress better suited for clubbing
Nikki- Palmetto, FL
Former PR member known as candyo

http://craftycitizen.wordpress.com
Instagram: orangeblossompr

We can't do better unless we know what needs improvement.  I welcome all feedback!

Zalin

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
Here's a thread from a couple of years ago where there was a discussion of what to wear to weddings. It's kind of interesting.

What to wear to a wedding

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
I'm going to my grandniece's wedding, late July in Texas.  Outdoors in the evening.  I plan to wear something similar to this:    in a really pretty cotton floral.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
That's a really flattering dress, Carole, and I like all of the seaming which would help with the fit.I had to sleuth out the pattern number, and am happy to learn that it is Butterick 5745.

Kathryn

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
I'm no help here but agree with asking the MOB or MOG for assistance. I will be the MOB in May, when DD is getting married.  Bridesmaids will be in red, groom and his party in black, MOG in a Blue and I am wearing my LBD with a colored pashmina. It's an afternoon indoor outdoor affair (depending on mother nature), she LOVES my dress and that's all I care about. I've had a couple of calls already and I am telling them that "Sunday" attire would be great but if they show up in jeans and flip flops, they won't be kicked out :)

Jodi

Offline lydia

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
I live in mortal fear of a wedding invitation.  The last I attended was for a customer of mine.  I remodeled her dress and we became friends for the moment.  On to the wedding.....I wore a turquoise twinset and off white silk gabardine  One Seams.  There was everything there from jeans to some sort of a prom dress.  One person even carried a Coke container into the sanctuary.  Where was the wedding coordinator???  Anyway, wedding went off w/o a hitch, I lost track of the girl, but the memories linger on!  Oh, the ceremony was late afternoon and I wore a darling straw hat, nifty jewelry and some nice sandals. 
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics