Author Topic: Ratings on entry/low end European sewing machines  (Read 2803 times)

Offline bessiecrocker

Ratings on entry/low end European sewing machines
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
I recently saw a German Consumer Reports type test of entry/mid-low end sewing machines marketed in Europe. If you read German and want to pay 2 you can get the full report here: Eurotest

These models were tested:
    * Brother Innov-is 30
    * Bernina bernette 25
    * W6 N 3300
    * Janome 2160DC
    * Privileg Pro Comfort 61017E
    * PFAFF Hobby 1132
    * Toyota Eco 26A
    * Naumann 83A0
    * AEG NM1714
    * Juki HZL-35Z
    * Singer Modell 2250
    * Tristar SM 6000

There are 5 computerized machines. At the top, rated  "Very Good", was the Brother Innov-is 30, and just below was the Bernina bernette 25 (a bit more expensive.) The Bernina had the most programable stitches: 155.

Seven machines were mechanical, four were rated "Good" ...best was the Pfaff Hobby 1132 (good, even stitch quality), with the AEG NM 1714 next (much much cheaper!).  At the bottom of the test ratings ("Adequate") was the Tristar SM 6000, but it is super cheap, half the price of the AEG model.

I only have a summary so can only give you the highlights.

Offline granmomus

Re: Ratings on entry/low end European sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
A couple of years ago Consumer Reports magazine (American) did a similiar test, the Brother In-novis 30 came out the most recommended, best rated also. I don't remember the rest of the results.

Offline Pina

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
Bessie,the W6 N 3300 sewing machine is made by Janome,as are all the other W6 sewing machines and the serger.

W stands for Wertarbeit,they don't manufacture their own machines.It's an online sewing machine dealer company with badged Janome sewing machines,similar like Sears' Kenmores.W6 gives 10 years warranty on their badged sewing machines and the serger ! Free manuals can be downloaded at their site too. I think all of the other sewing machine manufacturers and or dealers should provide access to free manuals too !  ;)

Offline PattiH

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
Most Brother manuals are online.

http://www.brother-usa.com/manuals/default.aspx?PGID=3

You just have to put in your model.

PattiH

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
I really think Brother has great value for money, and also they are a standard low shank so it is very easy to get feet - most vintage singer feet and buttonholes, all available for a song, will fit, and the modern ones are also very inexpensive.  I bought a computerised brother in 2000, it's now got an issue with the control panel, but I have to admit I have never had it serviced,
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics