• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 22, 2019, 12:33:59 pm

News:

A big Thank-You to all of you for your continuing support of Stitcher's Guild. :)

Warpjr1965 Start with a coat SWAP (comments in Discussion Thread)

Started by warpjr1965, October 30, 2018, 07:47:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warpjr1965

I've had a harder time than I thought on this. I originally planned on using a scarf, but the color palette was too limited. I looked through some photos for inspiration, but I need to work mainly from stash, as usual, and none of them were quite right. Then I started looking through the fabric stash.

I think I have picked out an inspiration piece. This fabric (the top one):

IMG_1290 by wendyr, on Flickr

May be destined to become a fall coat, or long vest.  There are a lot of background colors to choose from, which should make pulling something cohesive together relatively easy, I hope. The purple below it may also become part of SWAP, unless it lands in CCL's dress challenge first. :)  I'll have to play around in the coming weeks to see what I have that would work. We'll see. Have made no specific plans yet.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Notes for myself:
I have firmed up the black wool as the base/inspiration for SWAP.
The purple  will do double duty as a Dress for CCL's challenge, and should be able to make an appearance for SWAP as well.
I've bought a lovely pink ponte from JoAnn Fabrics, which will likely become a pair of pants.

That's all I've got. I don't think I'll get through this SWAP without purchasing more fabric, we'll see.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Well, I should have named my SWAP "start with a dress" cause that is what i made first, rather than the coat.

No Pics yet, as the dress is part of CCLs challenge. I am pretty sure it will land here too. I've used a purple rayon jersey and finished up a dress I've had my eye on for a while: NL 6525, the cowl version with the ruffle hem. The jersey is so swingy that I've left the hem raw, I didn't want anything weighing it down.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Here is a picture of the first item, a wrap using KS 4031 and the inspiration fabric. Like Ruthie, I think this is destined to be a wildcard.

K4031_02 by wendyr, on Flickr

K4031_06 by wendyr, on Flickr

I should be able to cut the fashion fabric today.
Wendy

warpjr1965

January 02, 2019, 09:09:59 pm #4 Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:14:52 am by warpjr1965 Reason: updating SWAP plans
FINAL EDIT for SWAP

Black
  • Wool wrap/inspiration item DONE
  • previously made black skirt DONE

Pink
  • ponte skirt Started
  • Jalie eleonore DONE

Blue
  • Wanderlust T DONE
  • Plantain T DONE
  • Swing T DONE
  • Cropped jeans Burda in process

Ivory
  • Jalie 2805 DONE
  • Raglan T

Print
  • Floral print: cowl shirt almost done!
  • floral print: swing tee or tank, shirt no 1

Wendy

warpjr1965

OK, the Wrap needs snaps.

I've started on the Blue Items, but instead of making anything I've listed I made two Knit T-shirts instead. They are still blue though. :)

I did manage to get a white Jalie 2805 Tshirt cut out as planned.
Wendy

warpjr1965

A week later and I'm stalled. A cold has knocked me down.  I've looked at the plan above and I still like it. Hoping to finish the tops that I've already started, and get going on the Pink Eleanores. I'll have to grade them out, or perhaps really I need to re-print and tape the PDF, ugh. I'll try on the last pair I made first, before I cut either paper or fabric. I think the Pink ponte has more stretch than the last pair I made out of stretch denim, so that will make a difference.

ETA: Maybe I'll sew up the SA Barbs instead? Haven't made them in a few years, but they are more forgiving than either the Elles or the Jalie Eleonores. Hmm.
Wendy

warpjr1965

OOH! Just realized that maybe I could do a color blocked T with remnants from the blue rayon and the ivory rayon. Plans may need to change!!
Wendy

warpjr1965

Update for me to keep me organized:

• Finish bursa jeans
  • Baste pink eleanores
  • Decide and cut black denim
Wendy

warpjr1965

OK I REALLY want to finish SWAP.
I always underestimate April busy-ness.
I think also I tend to look at projects as tasks that have to get done.
So, for the next 2 weeks all my sewing projects are things that I WANT to get done!
Wendy

warpjr1965

Ok, quick motivation post, no pics.
Halfway through with the Jalie jeans, aiming to finish tonight.
Tomorrow, I'll cut 1-2 more projects, hoping to sew them bit by bit in the week after work. Update tomorrow.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Still slowly working away on things. Pink skirt is nearly done, I ran out of thread. Got started on a print top, I hope to have that done by the weekend, then I'll have to kick it into gear if I want to finish. It's iffy this year, we'll see what happens!
Wendy

warpjr1965

I've gotten some basic photos taken, will take some outfit shots tonight and post them in the gallery.

Analysis:
# of patterns sewn:9
# of new patterns sewn: 4
New techniques: working with bias, invisible side zip, tissue fitting pants (huge!)

I love that I keep learning all the time. I feel very confident with the Jalie Eleonore fit with ponte, and know that with less stretchy fabric I'll have to size up. I better understand some of the tweaks I need to make with pants, and will be more ready to tackle another woven pant next year. I also realize that I prefer a firm knit for my t-shirts, and will make this change next year too.
Wendy

warpjr1965

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Jalie 2805, Kwik Sew poncho, Eleonore jeans.

Rayon tee layered over Jalie jeans.

Plantain Tee with Butterick Skirt.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Vogue 6009 with Burda trousers.
Blue Wanderlust Tee with Eleonore jeans
Wendy

warpjr1965

Pink skirt with Jalie 2805
Wendy

warpjr1965

Here are all the garments:

Ivory Rayon Jalie 2805
Pink ponte Jalie Eleonore jeans
Pink ponte Butterick skirt
Blue rayon swing T
Ivory Knit Shirt no. 1
Kwik Sew poncho (inspiration fabric)
Blue denim Burda wide leg pants
Rayon floral shirt no. 1
Blue Rayon wander lust tee
Blue rayon Plantain Tee
Rayon floral Vogue 6009
Wendy

warpjr1965

Burda jeans with Floral shirt no. 1 and Ivory knit shirt no. 1
Wendy