• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 23, 2019, 12:51:15 am

News:

To reply to a private message, you must login to the forums and use the messaging system.  If you attempt to answer the email notification, it just bounces to me.

indigotiger's Earth and Sky SWAP (comments in discussion thread)

Started by indigotiger, October 29, 2018, 02:54:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

I'm going to use the SWAP to fill in some of the gaps in my current wardrobe, so the focus this year will be on indigo and brown, since I already have four black pinafores (albeit differing styles and textures of fabric)
My inspiration image is this lovely artwork by Chad Alice Hagen which has all the colors in my palette: black to grey, dark indigo to light blue, deep chocolate brown through cafe au lait, with accents of turquoise, and cream.:
+

Since I don't actually own that artwork, I am using here at home (to guide my fabric and color choices) my Solitary Foxen handknit scarf

My two neutrals will be dark to medium indigos and browns. My accent colors will be off black shading to grey, and teal shading to turquoise. My style remains rustic, layered, and handcrafted, what I refer to as "urban fairytale". Right now my intent is to use the dark denim pinafore from my SWAP 2017 as my already sewn garment. I will likely make one more pinafore, and will mostly focus on woven tops, knit tops, and everyday dresses.

Here are some of the fabrics I pulled from the resource center to use:
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

So, looking at the fabrics I pulled from the resource center... The brown babywale corduroy is going to become a pinafore, probably in the same style as the denim jacquard pinafore I just finished last month. The dark denim pinafore I made in 2017, which has turned out to be a real wardrobe workhorse, will be my "previously sewn" garment; the two pinafores will be the "backbone" of my SWAP collection.

The printed fabrics are all going to be tops of one variety or another. The beautiful cotton knit, taupe printed with feathers in teal and other colors, will simply become one of my TNT long sleeve knit tops, (possibly with a turtleneck collar added). The dark blue floral cotton, the pale blue dotted with brown and cream horses, and the off white with little botanical drawings of mushrooms in sepia will become either variations on the TNT peplum blouse (itself a variant of my TNT everyday dress), or another simple button front blouse if I decided to go down that rabbit hole.

The indigo batik, and the indigo pinstripe are both going to become TNT everyday dresses, as there are currently NO everyday dresses in my closet at all. Because dresses don't get made from fabrics as robust as pinafores, they wear out faster, and l really need to focus on getting that part of my wardrobe replenished. The other difficulty being that I don't have a lot of dress lengths of fabric in the resource center.

The handwoven boiled wool I am hoping to turn into a cardigan jacket, by combining the woven fabric for the body and hand knitting stripey sleeves. I know darn good and well that knitting an entire cardigan would be a repeat of last year, with the one project taking up all the time and bandwidth, but just sleeves could be transit handwork... we shall see....

There are a few other possible fabrics to use in this collection. I pulled the linen textured weave, in dark blue and taupe, thinking it could be part of this. I also have the indigo/black waffle weave fabric that didn't get used last year, as well as several lengths of plain indigo linen in various shades, that were/are intended for SCA clothing, but could become a dress made in rectangular construction and hence suitable for either everyday or historical garb.

I've also been contemplating making a vest, possibly a long vest. Given how short I am, vests need to be either really cropped, or fairly long with a silhouette like the pinafore, in order to look well on me and be wearable over a pinafore and/or dress. Actually I've never actually made a long vest, although it looks well in sketches. Might be a fun addition? 

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

Quote from: mudcat on October 30, 2018, 09:35:26 pm
Indigo tiger ... you probably know I will say that you are the designer and therefore you should use your best judgement.
From my perspective something like a tie dye, thin pinstripe or subtle woven could pass for a solid because I personally would wear an obvious print with any of those if they where a good match color-wise.
So, I'm going to call my indigo pinstripe cotton and the taupe/deep indigo textured linen "solids". The pinstripe will definitely become a dress, not sure yet about the linen. In addition, I also found my shirt length of brown/cream shot linen folded up inside the black with brown stars flannel I had set aside to make a wearable muslin of one of my old button front top patterns, so the shot linen may also become part of this collection. 

One annoying thing is that the collar pattern piece for the button front shirt is missing, so I will need to get out my blue tape and copy the actual collar. Tomorrow.  Too tired tonight. That pattern started out long years ago as a flannel pyjama top! It fit so easily that I copied it and made an embellished black linen shirt-jacket, which I still have, and wear. Since it occurred to me that it might work well for a loose shirt to wear under pinafores, I'm going to attempt a wearable muslin from flannel... if it works, great, if not, it can become a bed jacket! (My plan is to spend at least some of the time between now and Boxing Day both making hopefully wearable muslins, cutting out SWAP sewing kits, and probably making up one of the dresses on my SWAP wishlist, in conjunction with CCL's Pre SWAP Dress Challenge...

indigotiger

today yielded a pleasant surprise... I was rummaging around and found a thrifted EILEEN FISHER boucle wool cardigan! It is a very dark brown/black, and basically fits me, although it is too long in the body. I am considering using it for my RTW component for SWAP, if I can figure out how best to remove about six inches from the lower torso. I guess at just under 5'2" I'm somewhat shorter than her target demographic. Cutting off the bottom would also remove the pockets, alas, but I think that the proportion of shorter jacket over my longer skirts would look better.

indigotiger

Planned garments, for now anyway... other ideas may surface, I may decide to do something with the indigo/taupe textured linen, or to make the cardigan jacket using handwoven fabric I was given as the body and handknitting the sleeves....

• INDIGO - dark denim pinafore (sewn before SWAP rules)

• INDIGO - indigo pinstripe everyday dress (sewn before December 26)

• INDIGO - subtle batik rayon popover dress

• BROWN - milk chocolate brown corduroy pinafore

• BROWN - brown/white shot cotton blouse/top

• BROWN - bittersweet chocolate wool boucle cardigan (RTW)

• PRINT - brown/cream mushroom print blouse/top

• PRINT - taupe with teal multicolor feathers knit top

• PRINT - indigo floral cotton blouse/top

• PRINT - blue horse print cotton blouse/top

• PRINT - teal batik stripe everyday dress

indigotiger

sketch of the everyday dress I will be making as my "post rules but pre SWAP" sewn garment, to be made from indigo pinstripe cotton

Also, this weekend I was given an entire duvet cover of dark indigo/white, in a sort of slubby oxford-cloth flax linen fabric which is sort of like shot cotton in that the warp is all dark and the weft is all light, so the overall color is almost grey-ish indigo. Definitely reads as a solid color. Not sure where to fit it into my plans, but I definitely want to make a dress from it!

indigotiger

Changing up my former plan somewhat, as I screwed up on the what gets sewn when, and already sewed my brown/white shot linen blouse instead of my indigo pinstripe dress. Sigh. Still going to sew the pinstripe dress, but I can't have two "sewn after the rules but before the 26th garments. Ooops!

So instead, for the preSWAP dress challenge, I am going to cut out and sew the teal batik stripe cotton dress instead of the indigo pinstripe, so that I can still include the pinstripe dress as part of my SWAP, by sewing it later on.

Also, when rummaging about in the sewing resources, I found the wool plaid pinafore I cut out for SWAP 2018, to coordinate with my Alabama Chanin cardigan, which will work well with my "earth and sky" theme. Putting that one aside as the first of my "SWAP sewing kits"

In addition, I'm going to drop the wool boucle cardigan from my RTW category, and instead sub in a brown knit turtleneck, as that will give me two different options to wear with the plaid wool pinafore.

INDIGO - dark denim pinafore (sewn before SWAP rules)
    INDIGO - indigo pinstripe everyday dress
    INDIGO - subtle batik rayon popover dress
    BROWN - milk chocolate brown corduroy pinafore
    BROWN - brown/white shot cotton blouse/top (sewn before December 26)
    BROWN - brown cotton knit turtleneck (RTW)
    PRINT - brown/cream mushroom print blouse/top
    PRINT - taupe with teal multicolor feathers knit top
    PRINT - indigo floral cotton blouse/top
    PRINT - blue horse print cotton blouse/top
    PRINT - brown/blue plaid wool pinafore

indigotiger

So far I have cut out the cream/brown mushroom print blouse, and am almost done cutting out the indigo pinstripe dress...

indigotiger

I've started knitting a wool sweater (for a different online challenge) and if I finish it in time, will include it in my SWAP.  Not sure if it will be in the indigo category, or the "print" category, since it has three different shades of blue...

indigotiger

A sadly sick Indigotiger has nothing to do but doze and daydream (well really I have lots that I ought be doing and want to be doing, but that isn't happening and will all have to be caught up later) my thoughts turn back to wardrobe planning, which is a Useful Sort of Daydreaming... It occurred to me that rather than using my denim pinafore as my "already sewn" SWAP garment, I could use the Alabama Chanin style cardigan that was my only completed object from last years SWAP. It has all the neutral colors in my wardrobe combined together. This would, of course, entail possibly making a second pinafore instead to substitute for the "previously sewn" denim pinafore. Looking at the fabric resource shelves, there is enough textured indigo/black linen, originally intended for either a jacket or an SCA garment, which would be delightful as a pinafore.

SWAP components revised:

• jacket - Alabama Chanin style brown/indigo/black cardigan (previously sewn)

• pinafore - indigo/black linen waffle weave

• pinafore - brown corduroy

• dress - everyday dress indigo pinstripe cotton/linen

• dress - popover dress indigo marble batik rayon

• blouse - brown/white linen oxford cloth (sewn before December 26)

• blouse - cream/brown mushroom print cotton

• blouse - indigo/black floral cotton lawn

• blouse - blue/brown/multicolor floral cotton lawn

• knit top - taupe/teal/multicolor feathers print cotton lycra

• leggings - brown cotton jersey

At this point I still have four garments to cut out the pieces for, and one garment that I just ordered the fabric for. Once I feel well enough, these will be cut out and put together into project kits, and I can start sewing!

indigotiger

Today, the fabric I ordered (with my gift certificate prize from the online challenge) from Harts Fabrics arrived, the Kokka cotton lawn in a blue/black abstract floral print. To me, it really reminds me of Marimekko style motifs. Like most current Japanese cotton fabrics, it has a wonderful silky hand, and will be ideal for the blouse (#8 in my SWAP plan) I intend to make from it.

I was most impressed by one particular aspect of the order, even more than how quickly it arrived... that Harts Fabrics tore the fabric along the grain. When I was growing up, and a young adult, all fabrics were parceled out that way, before the common-now practice of simply whacking off a length with shears.

How very often I carefully trimmed along a grainline of recently purchased fabric only to find that in the end, there was less actual length available than the amount I had requested, once the ends were straightened. Which is a boon to shopkeepers since now if I buy fabric, I have to routinely add at least an extra quarter yard or more in length than the pattern requires, to end up with enough. I rarely buy much fabric nowadays, preferring to first visit my own "fabric resource shelves" but I will certainly consider purchasing from Harts again!

indigotiger

Almost done with SWAP garment #3, the long sleeve knit top. Rather than simply use a line of twin needle stitching to finish the sleeve hems and neckline, a line of hand stitching adds a bit of subtle texture...
It doesn't really take that long, and makes it obvious that this is a custom garment rather than RTW. To me, this print really resonates with my "Earth and Sky" theme, in that the motifs look like feathers, and also like fallen leaves. The colors make a slightly bright accent to my usual wintertime dark indigos and browns, but will also work happily with the turquoise/teal pinafore that will eventually be a springtime (not SWAP) garment

indigotiger

Almost done with the cream/brown mushroom print blouse. Preparing the "sewing kits" ahead of time is proving really helpful, as I can do the cutting out when I am feeling like tackling it, and do the sewing when I want some fairly immediate gratification. If all goes well, I have three more garments in "kit" form, and four more yet to cut out. I'm not sure if I want to make brown jersey leggings, or yet another knit top. Probably should go for another pair of leggings, since I have more than enough knit tops at this point.

SWAP components progress report:

• ☑ jacket - Alabama Chanin style brown/indigo/black cardigan (previously sewn)

• ☐ pinafore - indigo/black linen waffle weave

• ☐ pinafore - brown corduroy

• ☐ dress - everyday dress indigo pinstripe cotton/linen

• ☐ dress - popover dress indigo marble batik rayon

• ☑ blouse - brown/white linen oxford cloth (sewn before December 26)

• ☐ blouse - cream/brown mushroom print cotton

• ☐ blouse - indigo/black floral cotton lawn

• ☐ blouse - blue/brown/multicolor floral cotton lawn

• ☑ knit top - taupe/teal/multicolor feathers print cotton lycra

• ☐ (leggings... maybe?) - brown cotton jersey

indigotiger

Today's sewing task is re-doing the cuffs on the mushroom print blouse. For some unknown reason I made an error in stitching which caused them to be about an inch too large in diameter, making the whole blouse look sort of sloppy. Once that is done (ugh, unpicking six carefully stitched seams and topstitching) I will swap out the threads in the machine and the serger to dark blue, and another whole section of SWAP sewing will be underway. Two floral blouses, two dresses, and a pinafore... whee!!

indigotiger

almost done with the indigo pinstripe everyday dress... Still need to attach and finish sleeves on the bodice, attach bodice to skirt, and bind/hem the skirt edge. Am really happy with how this is coming along, and with the engraved mother-of-pearl buttons I found. When this is done, I'll be almost halfway there - this is garment number five

indigotiger

SWAP components progress report: finished the indigo pinstripe linen dress today.

☑ jacket - Alabama Chanin style brown/indigo/black cardigan (previously sewn)

☐ pinafore - indigo/black linen waffle weave

☐ pinafore - brown corduroy

☑ dress - everyday dress indigo pinstripe cotton/linen

☐ dress - popover dress indigo marble batik rayon

☑ blouse - brown/white linen oxford cloth (sewn before December 26)

☑ blouse - cream/brown mushroom print cotton

☐ blouse - indigo/black floral cotton lawn (partially cut out)

☐ blouse - blue/brown/multicolor floral cotton lawn (cut out)

☑ knit top - taupe/teal/multicolor feathers print cotton lycra

☐ (leggings... maybe?) - brown cotton jersey

indigotiger

Each time I sew one of my TNT patterns, I try and either improve it or adapt some detail, for variety sake. In this case, the plan was to improve the lower sleeve edge, by shaping the straight bottom edge into a complex curve. Having the back of the sleeve edge longer than the inner front will keep the sleeve from hiking up so much when my arms are curved naturally, or when in use; the back of the arm measures longer than the front when in that position. This was my first time trying out this variation, and I am delighted to find that it works a treat!

indigotiger

I have been knitting away on my Sólbein cardigan (handknit, icelandic style, lopi wool) for weeks now, since the beginning of January, and it occurred to me that it could become part of my SWAP, if I substitute it for one of the planned print blouses. The colorwork is too noticeable for me to call it a solid color, but in the three shades of denim/indigo blue, it will coordinate well with my Earth and Sky SWAP. (I still plan on sewing up all the print blouses, since they are already becoming a wardrobe staple)

indigotiger

I'm feeling a bit frustrated, not with my plan, but with what to do about the final unresolved piece... As my SWAP plan stands now, I will have two cardigans, one hand knit in shades of blue and one hand stitched indigo/brown (both count as prints), two pinafores one indigo and one brown, two indigo dresses, three blouses (two count as prints), and a knit top (print #5). I need one more garment to make up the eleven. What I want to do is to make one more print blouse, using my prize fabric, but that puts me over the top for numbers of printed/patterned garments. I could make another brown jersey top, but I don't really need any more knit tops right now. Gah... I guess I should just continue ahead with the pieces I do know will be part of SWAP, and continue to mull over what options would work with the rules, the gaps in my wardrobe, and with the fabric I currently have on hand...

indigotiger

finished the indigo/multicolor floral blouse today... Cotton lawn is lovely to wear, and only a bit challenging to sew because so lightweight. I wish that my machine had a straight stitch throat plate and presser foot. Still I am really happy with how it looks. The brown buttons I salvaged when I repaired my striped vest bring out the few brown accents in the botanical print, and will help it coordinate with both the brown and denim pinafores that I have in my wardrobe as well as the two SWAP pinafores.

-  INDIGO BLUE
1.  dark denim pinafore (made prior to SWAP)
2.  pinstripe linen dress (done)
3.  handknit lopi cardigan (in process)
4.  batik rayon popover dress (cut out, not done)

-  BROWN
5.  oxford cloth linen blouse (done prior to Dec 26th)
6.  corduroy pinafore (not cut out)
7.  jersey leggings or brushed twill jacket (not cut out)

-  PRINT
8.  taupe/multicolor feather print knit top (done)
9.  brown/cream mushroom print shirt (done)
10. indigo/multicolor floral print blouse (done)
11. blue/black floral print blouse (cut out, not done)

indigotiger

Finished my handknit cardigan today... I will take photos (on me) once it is done being wet-blocked. I have very mixed feelings about it. I adore the rustic style, the colors will look fantastic with all my indigo/denim clothing, and the colorwork and the antler toggles came out just the way I envisioned them. I am, however, not entirely happy with the sizing, it is a larger looser fit than I had hoped, despite my efforts to adapt the shaping. Just as with commercial sewing pattern grading, the larger sizes are increased in all directions, which shifts the armscye area downwards. The cardigan is perfectly wearable, but will probably turn out to be a wintertime layering garment rather than the transitional season outer layer I had imagined.
For anyone interested, I've a blog post dissecting the issues with the cardigan, as well as my Ravelry project page of the whole cardigan project from start to finish...

At this point I have four more garments left to complete. Three are already cut out and just need me to keep on sewing, as they are all TNT patterns. I finally decided on what I wanted to make to fill in the final niche, this outdoor style vest in a brown brushed cotton twill - Envigado Vest. I have several fabrics that might be suitable for "wearable muslins", and with luck I may be able to sort out the pattern well enough to complete it with only a few iterations. In keeping with my intention to use the SWAP garments to learn or try new things, this vest will have not only a few new to me sewing techniques, but will be my first venture into PDF sewing patterns. I am hopeful that the local copy store can sort out HOW to print out the whole page option

-  INDIGO BLUE
3.  handknit lopi cardigan (done)
4.  batik rayon popover dress (cut out, not done)

-  BROWN
5.  oxford cloth linen blouse (done prior to Dec 26th)
6.  corduroy pinafore (cut out, not done)
7.  brushed twill vest (not cut out)

-  PRINT
8.  taupe/multicolor feather print knit top (done)
9.  brown/cream mushroom print shirt (done)
10. indigo/multicolor floral print blouse (done)
11. blue/black floral print blouse (cut out, not done)

indigotiger

Recently had an increase in the time I need to spend on my work for the next two months, with a concomitant decrease in my sewing time. At this point, I've three more SWAP pieces left to complete, two which are already cut out TNT garments. Those will be easy to sew during  small bits of spare time. If I make a pair of brown knit leggings, instead of the Envigado vest, I'll probably finish in time.

Ah, the vest... my first time buying a PDF garment pattern! I hope it does turn out to be a good fit, or at least straightforward to alter to fit, since between the pattern price and the cost of the copying I've never paid so much for a pattern. Foolish me. I didn't realise how spendy it would be to have it printed out at a copy store in large format. Still, if I can make a muslin to get a good fit, it will be a useful addition to my wardrobe.

All the SWAP garments this year are already in steady rotation in my everyday wardrobe, so whether or not I complete in time, I still feel like a winner

indigotiger

Now revised for less stress... I remembered yesterday that Mudcat said we could do no more than two handknits to include in SWAP. I've been planning to make the "Ursa" cropped pullover ever since it showed up on Instagram, and I have the perfect yarn, a deep almost black overlaid with multicolor teal/turquoise (it reads as a kind of very dark indigo)
Knitting is something I can carry along with me and work while I am riding transit, which gives me a lot of fragmentary and otherwise wasted time to create a garment. That would give me two different outer layers to wear with my SWAP.

If I plunk the pullover into my INDIGO section, and sub in a RTW turtleneck in the BROWN section instead of cropped leggings I will probably be able to find time to stitch up the one remaining sewn garment, the popover dress. Given that we are moving into warmer weather, a popover dress will be more appealing by the end of April than leggings for warmth!

Either outer layer can be worn with any of the outfits.
Either pinafore can be worn over any of the tops, blouses, or dresses
The turtleneck can be worn under any of the blouses, or the dress.
The dresses can be worn by themselves.
This kind of wardrobe interchangeability makes me very happy!

-  INDIGO BLUE
3.  handknit lopi cardigan (done)
4.  handknit lopi cropped pullover (not done)
5.  batik rayon popover dress (cut out, not done)

-  BROWN
6.  chambray linen blouse (done prior to Dec 26th)
7.  corduroy pinafore (done)
8.  Supima cotton knit turtleneck (RTW)

-  PRINT
9.  taupe/multicolor feather print knit top (done)
10.  brown/cream mushroom print shirt (done)
11. indigo/multicolor floral print blouse (done)

The other garments that have been dropped from the SWAP queue will turn up in my summer or autumn 6PACs, just as my formerly sewn garments like my Alabama Chanin cardigan from last year, my brown flannel blouse, or my batik everyday dress, also coordinate with my SWAP this year... Deciding way back to have a limited color palette was one of the best choices I have made

indigotiger

Came home last night - two weeks visiting Aged Parents, and almost a week traveling there and back again on the train. After being away from my sewing for almost a month, I'm not sure I will be able to finish on time. My pullover knitting project didn't see as much hands on time during my family visit as I had hoped, and I always forget that I am not a fast knitter at the best of times. The only way I will be able to actual make the end of April deadline is if I put away my knitting and instead stitch up two popover dresses instead of the single one I had planned for SWAP. Since I have two already mostly cut out (solid marble batik and shibori print, both rayon, both in shades of indigo) As warm weather quickly approaches, these have been sitting in my "to make" pile, and popovers are what I wear all summer, this approach makes sense, depending on how my weekend unfolds. I must say, that this year my SWAP sewing is all over the map as far as make a plan and what actually gets stitched. That said, all the SWAP garments I took with me on my trip were worn often and garnered positive comments from the family.

indigotiger

"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..."  Last night (only four days late) I finished my Dark Of Night handknit pullover. Really pleased with how it turned out... and it, like my other SWAP garments this year, will be an excellent addition to my wardrobe. There is a bit more about it on my blog post here When I finally get around to sewing up the last garments on my SWAP list, I will post the whole wardrobe set.