• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 23, 2019, 05:32:40 pm

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Lillie's Not So Basic Basics

Started by LillieT, January 03, 2019, 09:31:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LillieT

When Lillie said, "Aren't you at least going to look at the rules?"  "Doesn't mean you are going to participate again, just look and see what the rules are, will be fun."  Of course, Lillie knew that if I looked I would want her to at least throw together a quick plan, assuming the rules were compatible with what I had on hand and what I needed.

So, after conferring with Lillie and looking at the rules she came up with this tentative plan. 

Neutral #1 - Indigo
Neutral #2 - Grey
Accents - Turquoise, Purple and Orange.
The garments would be as follows:
Neutral #1
1.   Lt. Indigo linen jacket (already made from self-drafted pattern)
2.   Jeans, stretch denim using Silhouettes Lana Jean pattern
3.   Indigo challis button down shirt, Seamworks Rachel
Neutral #2
1.   Slim Pants, med. Grey ponte' - CJ Patterns Perfect Skinny Pants
2.   Pencil skirt, med Grey ponte' - CJ Patterns Basewear Two, modified to add pockets like the Perfect Skinny Pants
3.   Tee shirt with turquoise/purple/orange graphic stenciled on front - Dk Grey cotton jersey (Could be considered accent?)
4.   Cardigan - Grey wool, machine knit from self-drafted pattern
Accent - Turquoise long sleeve tee shirt with crochet yoke - upcycled from thrift store XXL tee shirt
Accent - Turquoise/Purple plaid shirt - Seamworks Rachel
Accent - Floral Jersey with Turquoise/Purple and Orange on white ground - self-drafted cowl neck tee shirt
Wildcard - Patchwork skirt using scraps from the above garments.

Ok, we have a plan, now the small problem of the "Inspiration".  Since the "inspiration" came from what was available, with a few additions, I thought, no problem, I'll just weave a wall weaving using the chosen colors.  However, I neglected to look at the rules again and see the addendum stating things made as an "inspiration" needed to be completed and posted prior to 12/26.  Alas!! It is now 12/28 - what to do?  I thought, just pull out, after all, I hadn't really started.  Lillie threw a fit, complaining that she has gone to all that work to design the plan, and I needed to figure it out.
So -  I half-heartedly looked for an inspiration photo or graphic whining all the way.  Fortunately, some fellow SWAP sewists took pity on me and come up with several awesome photos.

After looking at all of them I decided to go with Indigotiger's suggestion.

Apology for the size, I don't remember how to size it down.

I haven't uploaded it to a palette generator, that was one of the things that was stopping me in finding my own ispiration photo, every time I found something somewhat suitable, when I run it through the palette generator the main color that was found was a burgundy, which is not included in the plan, nor likely to be as it is not the most flattering color for me.  So there you have it, Lillie's plan, Indigotiger's awesome "inspiration" contribution and my rambling.

LillieT

Sewing With A Plan - Maybe should say Sewing With A Constantly Evolving Plan.  Lillie's carefully laid out plan is great on paper.  However, when I went to cut out the plaid button down shirt I discovered I didn't have enough yardage.  And just previous to that discovery, I logged onto Seamworks to print off the Rachel pattern for the button down shirt and Lillie suggested to have a look at this month's ezine.  While scrolling through the articles I came across the outfits they had staged with the current new dress pattern.  In one of the outfits they used a coat/cardigan (coatigan) named Jill that Lillie couldn't remember seeing before, so of course, we did some research and Lillie decided that Jill would be perfect  in the SWAP and before I knew it she found some wool/acrylic grey fabric at Denver Fabrics that should suit Jill just fine.  The fabric is a dark grey with flecks of turquoise and other colors in it.  I haven't received the fabric yet, hoping to see it any day. 
Continuing to scroll through the Seamworks ezine, I came to a list of online fabric stores and the name of one of them jumped out at me, Merritt Makes.  My maiden name was Merritt, so it piqued my interest.  Looking over the Merritt Makes website I came across a pattern that Merritt (one of the owners) was hoping to make in the near future - Geodesic by Blue Prints http://www.blueprintsforsewing.com/shop/geodesic-pdf.  Lillie was immediately intrigued and started figuring out which garment she could replace with a Geodesic. 
I had to make a 4 hour round trip to Boise last week for medical appointments.  Typically,  I do the driving and Lillie does the thinking.  While doing the thinking Lillie decided we could substitute the Geodesic for the stenciled tee shirt and use Alabama Chanin techniques to construct it.  OK, sounds like it would work, that is, be a lot of work.
I often have a little extra time between appointments and usually visit thrift stores.  This visit was no different and browsing through a thrift store I discovered a brand new man's L grey wool merino sweater for $5.  Then, on the way home, Lillie had lots of time to think because I ran into a nasty snow storm and took forever to get home - she decided we could cut up the wool sweater using the Geodesic pattern and then crochet it back together, using a crocheted motif for the center triangle in the front. 
Lillie was so excited about that project that it is already finished.  I will post pics soon, hopefully. 
The grey ponte' pants are completed and so is the turquoise tee shirt with a crocheted yoke.  I will try to get pics of these as well as the previously sewn linen jacket. 
Lillie is still debating about what to do about the plaid button down shirt, she really had her heart set on it, choosing the accent colors partly from that fabric.  I have to go to Boise again Tues, will check Joanns and Hobby Lobby to see if I can find a suitable replacement.