• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 15, 2019, 06:22:38 pm

News:

Remember: to view and/or participate in The Fray you must join the group.  Click on your name in the upper left, then choose "group membership" from the links on the popup.  Find "The Fray Sewing Competition" and click "Join Group".

Grasshopper's Autumn Rain SWAP (comments in main discussion thread please)

Started by Grasshopper, November 13, 2018, 10:49:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grasshopper

After much internal debate, I finally decided to join in the fun this year.  Some goals I have are:

• Sew business casual workwear.

• Use a lot of stash fabric.

• Focus on patterns with vintage styling and details.  I am feeling a renewed love for 1940s silhouettes.

• Maybe incorporate an orphan item from my closet as the RTW item and build the wardrobe around it so I have things to wear with it?  I think this would be a great idea.

Here is my inspiration photo.

Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Grasshopper

Using the palette generator, I came up with the following:

I am really liking what I see here.  There are easy options for neutrals such as navy, denim, teal, taupe gray, parchment, cocoa, cognac, and chocolate.  And there is also a lot of nice, bright color!

I am thinking of using teal and cognac as my two neutrals.  Given my desire for a vintage look and also the fact that Simplicity 3688 (aside from the blouse pattern) is a TNT pattern for me, I know I want to make the following:

Cognac Pinstripe (in stash)

Cognac pinstripe 40s trousers (Simplicity 3688)
Cognac pinstripe blazer (Simplicity 3688)
Cognac pinstripe skirt (Simplicity 3688)

Teal

Teal 40s trousers (Simplicity 3688)
Teal blazer (Simplicity 3688)
Teal skirt (Simplicity 3688)

Yes, it's a lot of repeat, but they're patterns I won't have to do a lot of fitting on and the silhouettes all work together.

Accents

Golden Yellow blouse (Simplicity 8445)

The rest is TBD.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Grasshopper

While out shopping with my daughter so that she could spend her birthday money, I ran across this scarf:

I liked it because it contains a lot of the colors that are in the Autumn Rain still life above, but it also features a taupe gray background and would allow me to sew up more of my stash, which is a big motivator for me.  Here is the color palette for it:

With this scarf as my inspiration piece, I could work with the following two neutrals:  taupe gray and cognac.  This matches up with fabrics in my stash:  taupe gray moleskin, taupe gray wide wale corduroy, cognac pinstripe suiting.

Then, I could work with the print/accents of cognac/gray floral crepe, golden yellow, rust, and teal.  Thinking along these lines:

Core of 9 Items

Required - Neutral 1:  Taupe Gray Moleskin 40s Blazer (Simplicity 3688 - Sewn prior to October 28, 2018)
Required - Neutral 2:  Cognac Pinstripe 40s Blazer (Simplicity 4548)
Required - Neutral 1 or 2:  Taupe Gray 40s Skirt (Simplicity 3688)
Required - Neutral 1 or 2:  Cognac Pinstripe 40s Trousers (Simplicity 3688)
Required - Accent or Print:  Golden Yellow Blouse (Pattern TBD)
Neutral, Accent, or Print:  Cognac Pinstripe 40s Skirt (Simplicity 4548)
Neutral, Accent, or Print:  Teal Top or Blouse (Pattern TBD)
Neutral, Accent, or Print:  Rust Top or Blouse (Pattern TBD or RTW)
Neutral, Accent, or Print:  Cognac/Gray Floral Crepe 40s Blouse (Pattern TBD)

2 Wildcards

Wildcard 1:  Cognac/Gray Floral Crepe 40s Dress (Butterick 5281)
Wildcard 2:  Taupe Gray 40s Trousers (Simplicity 3688)
Lyneisa

Grasshopper

Here's Simplicity 4548:

Lyneisa

Grasshopper

Been having a bit of a rethink...  I've spent the last few days going through my closet and assessing what I have. 

1.  Although I love winter clothes, I really need more warm weather clothing given that the warm season where I live spans from late February until late October and even in winter warm days can be quite common.
2.  Given #1, it seems a bit ridiculous for me to be storing clothing seasonally.  I would like to cull and reduce such that all of my clothes fit comfortably in my closet space, making it easy for me to dress for both the 70F today and the 30F tomorrow after the cold front blows through.
3.  By the time SWAP is over, I am going to be wanting and needing to wear warm-weather clothing.
4.  I desperately need neutral pieces in colors like navy, ivory, beige, and light gray.  I have loads of accent pieces in warm, sunny brights that suit my complexion really well, but I need neutral pieces to tie them all together, plus a few print pieces.  Neutrals are my nemesis.
5.  I think I know where I need to go with sewing plans, but finding an inspiration piece to fit with this year's SWAP rules that allows forces me to focus on sewing boring neutral pieces may prove problematic.
Lyneisa

Grasshopper

More thinking and pondering...

I am still exploring what I have and thinking about where I really want to go with this SWAP.  Ultimately, the point is to sew clothes that I really need AND love to wear, that really reflect what I like.  I can get so caught up in the possibilities and go down the rabbit hole with planning a collection, sew up some of it, and then realize that I don't actually like the clothes that much.  This time around, I am really trying to be thoughtful and I really want to sew things that will work with what I already have.  Ruthie's comment about having darker hair and preferring darker neutrals made me think about myself and the reality is that I prefer lighter neutrals since I have blonde hair and fair ivory skin.  Colors like pale gray, ivory, beige, and tan get a lot of use in my wardrobe, so I am continuing with the idea of using the taupe gray as one of my neutrals and perhaps beige or tan as the other one. 

Lyneisa

Grasshopper

2019 has already become about reducing overwhelm, decluttering, and getting projects finished.  I just finished two knitting projects that have been languishing for too long and have done some closet clean out.  I am also in the mindset of using what I have and not spending a lot of extra money.  I think I am going to take the advice of so many in this lovely sewing community and just start with something.  I know there are certain fabrics in my stash that I have specific plans for, so I am going to choose some of those projects and move forward.  We'll see at the end if I have the pieces to put together in a collection that meets the SWAP criteria.

I have the previously sewn (2014, I think) taupe gray moleskin blazer that I am considering my first piece.  I will be sewing up a pair of trousers using Simplicity 8056 in the same fabric to make a pantsuit.  I thought about making the 40s style trousers, but in the end, I decided to go with the more modern pattern as it fits me well and I've worked out fit issues through two previous makes of it.

The next piece I will be looking at is a peach/gray floral chiffon shell that has been cut out (for I don't know how long) from an old skirt.  I didn't have enough fabric to cut the facings, though, so I will probably buy some peach georgette and create a lining.  This all depends on whether the top will still fit.

So, that's enough planning for now.  I'm off to finish putting away the remainder of Christmas decor and go grocery shopping.  Perhaps I will be able to start sewing up that peach shell this evening.
Lyneisa

Grasshopper

Sometimes it is hard to find time to squeeze in that sewing!  Had to alter a shirt and skirt for an emergency event for my daughter for Tuesday but still managed to sew up the peach shell.  I'm glad to say that by using smaller seam allowances it fit!  Yippee!  Now I can order the georgette to line it.  Plan to get the trousers cut out and work on sewing them up tomorrow.
Lyneisa