• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 07:06:33 pm

News:

To access all of our great topics, and use all the terrific features of our forum, it is now necessary to purchase a subscription. 
Visit this thread: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,1849 For more information
If you should have any trouble, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

SWAP 2019 Official Rules

Started by mudcat, October 28, 2018, 11:47:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

Dawn - I cannot speak for Mudcat, in reply to your questions about refashioning garments and using their fabric, or about recutting the edge of a cardigan and crocheting an edge onto it, or about your question on making a dress from a mixture of different fabrics and overdyeing it... I do think that Mudcat has already clarified the "accent color" question though. 

I was originally confused about the accent color and/or print fabric aspect of this SWAP, and some of my earlier "possible/example" plans are incorrect. In the edited rules Mudcat states:
QuoteAdd 1-5 accents and/or prints that will work with your inspiration piece (ie: not clash)... [and later on]
Note that accents fabric must be the same (so not two different fabrics of the same accent color)
So, in addition to whatever two neutral colors are chosen, you get not more than a total of five other prints/accent colors. Each accent color of a particular fabric counts as one of the five, so if I have, for example, a red corduroy pinafore, and a red knit top, that counts as TWO of the five, not one, since that example uses two different fabrics, but if the same imaginary red knit was used both for a sleeveless top and a cardigan (to make a twinset), that would count as ONE of the five prints/accents.

I have been thinking of it now as we get two neutral colors of our choice, which can be of various fabrics/textures, and up to five additional fabrics which can be either solid colors, or prints. The only way that there would be more than five garments in the "additional" category is if more than one of the garments is made from the same fabric.

The overarching concept, as I understand it, is to create a SWAP collection that has internal cohesion, that looks like it all belongs together, and repetition of color and fabric help with that, as does choosing colors that all come from a single inspirational image. This is designed to have as the result a collection of garments that all work together, rather than a collection of garments that all just happen to be in the same closet, which is after all, the whole purpose of the Sewing With A Plan concept. Every day when I head for my wardrobe to get dressed, I am pleased that years ago I began following this idea in my sewing life, and my closet and dresser are full of clothes that I can basically mix and match, depending on the season, since they all have a cohesive group of colors and styles.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

M lambie

December 09, 2018, 12:22:44 pm #71 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:10:08 pm by M lambie
[Sorry, major edits to this post, apologies if you read the first version!]

Okay, wow, I thought I had actually understood the rules by this point! But no. Thanks Dawn for your question and indigotiger for your reply. For the rules being seemingly short and sweet, you really have to pay attention to get it right! (Or maybe it's just me. :-[)

So, our two neutrals can be multiple fabrics in varying textures, etc., right? So even if I use four different black fabrics, those four fabrics still represent just ONE neutral (black). But when I choose my accent color(s), if I use two different red fabrics, they will count as TWO accents? Scratching my head in confusion LOL. I don't think this will make any huge difference in my planning, but I really want to be sure I have it right before I get sewing.

ETA: Dawn, I really hope that you can make the rules work for your plan because I would be so excited to see your collection! :)

ETA#2: OK, I just looked at the rules again and I have no idea how I overlooked it, but the bit about accent colors/fabrics is actually quite clear. I don't know how my brain managed to twist it around except, as mentioned above, the fact that neutral colors/fabrics get counted one way and accent colors/fabrics get counted a completely different way (which obviously totally confuses me LOL).

mudcat

Well the rule maker confused her self so don't feel too bad.  :-[

While using fabric from thrifted garments or your own garments that no longer work for you that's fine.  There are no rules regarding where your fabric comes from.  However, I'm not quite understanding this "I would use the basic shell, recutting the shape of the fronts and bottom and adding several rows of crochet around the cut portions." 

If you cut a new piece completely from the old piece and add crochet to it I would consider that new garment with embellishment.  However, if you are using the existing top but just reshaping part of it I think that would be outside of the spirit of the rules as all garments should be made from "yardage" regardless of whether it's odd shaped from old garments or new regular yardage off of a roll.

crazyquilter

Thank you, Alison.  Your examples helped.

Thanks, mudcat for your answer.  I would need to use the refashioned cardigan as the RTW then.  It sounds like the leggings from knit shirts would be fine.  I guess the dress made from various fabrics and overdyed would have to be in one of my neutral colors.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mary.  I'll have to give it some more thought and look at my resources.

Dawn

luz clara

Hi everyone

Even though I have not completely figured out how my fabrics match the SWAP rules for 2019, I'm in.

I just posted my inspiration photo and my "star" fabric featuring both of my neutrals - rosy coral and dark slate-y purple!

Luz Clara

warpjr1965

Quote from: mudcat on October 28, 2018, 11:47:34 pm

Rules

One garment may be started on 29 October 2018 and completed prior to 26 December 2018

Addendum: If you make your own inspiration piece it must be completed, photographed and posted prior to 26 Decomeber 2018
: black pants and top with print #1 cardigan,  black pants with print #2 top, olive pants with print #3 top, olive pants with mustard top, etc

So just re-reading this: I take this to mean that I can only sew ONE garment prior to SWAP, and that if I am using fabric as my inspiration piece and intending it to be used in SWAP that uses up my pre-SWAP allotment, yes?

Means my dress does not do double duty after all, and that I need to get cracking on my poncho!
Wendy

indigotiger

Wendy - I think that the comment about completing the "inspiration piece" prior to Dec 26 was in reference to someone who asked if, instead of using a photo, or a piece of multicolor fabric, etc, if they could hand paint a scarf in their desired color scheme. The inspiration piece is the something that we are each using for choosing a coordinated group of colors.

If you have a fabric that is your inspiration, then you just need to have posted an image of the fabric prior to Dec 26; even if that fabric is going to be then used in your SWAP, you don't need to have sewn up the garment from it already.  We are allowed to have only two self-made garments finished before SWAP - if we have one in our wardrobe already, that was made prior to the announcement of the rules in October, we can include that, and then we are allowed to make one garment for SWAP after the rules are announced and before the start of SWAP sewing on the 26th.  (For example, I am going to include in my own SWAP the indigo denim jumper I made in 2017, and the brown/white shot linen blouse I made at the beginning of December)

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

warpjr1965

Quote from: indigotiger on December 22, 2018, 11:23:56 am
Wendy - I think that the comment about completing the "inspiration piece" prior to Dec 26 was in reference to someone who asked if, instead of using a photo, or a piece of multicolor fabric, etc, if they could hand paint a scarf in their desired color scheme. The inspiration piece is the something that we are each using for choosing a coordinated group of colors.

Phew, Indigo, I am sure this is correct. Thanks for that. I'll still cut out my wrap this weekend in case I need to sew it up quickly!
Wendy

mudcat

indigotiger is correct. 

If you aren't making your own inspiration piece you don't have to photograph it prior to the 26th.  That rule was specific to someone painting a scarf or other creative endeavor. 

Sew Ruthie Sews

So as I have teal on the machines it would make sense to make any other teal pieces next, however I am really confused as I just re-read the rules and saw
QuoteNote that accents fabric must be the same (so not two different fabrics of the same accent color)

This raises two questions
1 Is my coat illegal already as it uses three fabrics, two of which are teal.
2 Having made a teal wool coat does this mean I can't make a teal jersey top, or teal suiting trousers?
Ruthie in Derbyshire UK
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/

angelsweb

I can't copy the quote, but in an earlier post, mudcat wrote that combining fabrics was okay. So I would take that to mean your coat is fine as a part of SWAP. The overall effect is of a teal coat.

It seems that you could have more than one item in teal, but if they were different fabrics, they should each count as a separate accent piece, i.e., one of the five.

Hope this is right, as I'm planning more than one teal fabric, unless I count teal as one of my two neutrals.

Angelia

Quote from: Sew Ruthie Sews on December 25, 2018, 03:29:50 pm
So as I have teal on the machines it would make sense to make any other teal pieces next, however I am really confused as I just re-read the rules and saw
QuoteNote that accents fabric must be the same (so not two different fabrics of the same accent color)

This raises two questions
1 Is my coat illegal already as it uses three fabrics, two of which are teal.
2 Having made a teal wool coat does this mean I can't make a teal jersey top, or teal suiting trousers?

warpjr1965

Ruthie my apologies for replying on your thread and not here. I believe Angelia is correct in her interpretation of the rules.
Wendy

mudcat

As long as you don't exceed more than five pieces of fabric for your 1-5 non-neutral pieces you should be fine.  Based on how your current swap is listed it looks like you won't exceed the five.

You can use as many shades/types of fabric as you want for your two neutral colors.  The primary point of this is if you make a lot of pieces from neutrals it's quite likely the average person won't have enough yardage to make multiple garments and plus you may want a mix of woven and knit.  I personally prefer my tops be knit but for skirts I'm good either way.

LillieT

Shoot, Lillie had talked me into jumping into SWAP again this year, but I didn't see the addendum stating inspiration pieces must be posted prior to Dec. 26 and obviously have missed that deadline. 
Oh well, I will make my 11 garments anyway as I do need most of the items.  Next year I shall try to pay better attention.

warpjr1965

LilieT I think you are fine to join. That addendum was referencing those who wanted to actually make their inspiration piece ie: paint a scarf or fabric. that piece needed to be finished prior to the start of SWAP
not woven by me. 

I had a similar question a few days ago, see Mudcat's and Indigotiger's responses above, again I think you are fine!  :)
Wendy

mudcat

as warpjr states, if you were doing your own inspiration piece (painting a silk scarf for example) it needed to be completed prior to the official start date.  But you can of course choose an existing piece after the start date.

LillieT

Thank you for your quick response.  The problem is, my inspiration is in my head (or Lillie's).  I have fabrics that I had already purchased with the idea of them becoming the base for my spring wardrobe.  I already have several clothes that will coordinate and compliment my planned clothes. 
So.......... lacking a tangible inspiration piece I wove a wall piece using the colors from my "inspiration".  I could have posted a picture of it prior to 12/26, but didn't realize it was necessary. 
It seems a bit silly to Lillie to create something for the sole purpose of illustrating the already planned palette.  However, I did do that, it is a nice piece, but the only reason for it's existence is to fulfill the rules of this year's SWAP.  I have spent a great deal of time browsing art and photographs online hoping to find the perfect "inspiration" for my already planned palette.  The colors I have chosen are denim blue, gray, and turquoise with touches of purple and orange.  The first three colors often show up together, it is my other accent colors that are the problem, unless I can find a stormy seascape with purple and orange flowers that is. 
Maybe I'm overthinking this, I don't know.  At any rate, I suspect I cannot enter this year's SWAP and still meet the criteria. 

angelsweb

Quote from: LillieT on December 31, 2018, 07:27:59 am
  I have spent a great deal of time browsing art and photographs online hoping to find the perfect "inspiration" for my already planned palette.  The colors I have chosen are denim blue, gray, and turquoise with touches of purple and orange.  The first three colors often show up together, it is my other accent colors that are the problem, unless I can find a stormy seascape with purple and orange flowers that is. 
Maybe I'm overthinking this, I don't know.  At any rate, I suspect I cannot enter this year's SWAP and still meet the criteria.

Try looking for a sunset seascape. Those colors sound like sunset colors to me.

Towanda

Lillie T

Will this work? I did a Bing search and came up with this image.
Quote from: LillieT on December 31, 2018, 07:27:59 am
I have spent a great deal of time browsing art and photographs online hoping to find the perfect "inspiration" for my already planned palette.  The colors I have chosen are denim blue, gray, and turquoise with touches of purple and orange.  The first three colors often show up together, it is my other accent colors that are the problem, unless I can find a stormy seascape with purple and orange flowers that is. 

I see gray and possibly purple or dark blue in the upper left corner. Denim, turquoise and orange stripes are there. What do you think? This was fun

angelsweb

LillieT, could I recommend a photographer to you? Bryan Abeling in Des Moines, Iowa, has some beautiful photos that might work for your inspiration piece ...

https://abelingphoto.smugmug.com/browse

Here are a couple of examples

indigotiger

Lillie -  This image, though not of a stormy sea, has all the colors you mention: grey, denim blue, turquoise, orange, and purple

sharonspils

LillieT I started off with fabric which now I have started sewing is not working for me and then I remembered that my friend said my fabric inspiration looks like a Klimt painting and she was correct, I found an art piece that speaks to me which will cover all my colours  :)

angelsweb, Towanda and Indigotiger have all come up with some very different inspiration pictures.

sharonspils

luz clara I love your thought process and best of all making a wardrobe that wil work for you.

Melinda_B

I'm writing up my grid with drawings and ideas - quick clarification needed.  Do we have to do two wildcards?

I'm looking at having:

Grey Neutral - pants, skirt, cardigan - 3 garments

Blue Neutral - Jacket, skirt, pants/jeans - 3 garments

Print tops x 3 - 3 garments

Solid tops x 2 - 2 garments

That gives me a total of 11 garments.

Or I am considering a print skirt that would work with the solid tops - that could be considered a wildcard (and dropping one of the print tops so as to stay within the 1-5 accent or print requirement)

Basically I'm asking if the wildcards are required, or can they be garments that work with the rest of the core?
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

LillieT

Angelesweb, Towanda, and Indigotiger, thank you so much for the great "inspiration" photos!  Lillie said I was not only over thinking it but was being a bit pigheaded. I really like all of them, and have decided to use Indigotiger's suggestion.
I am out of town right now, will be home tomorrow and will post my plans then.
Thanks everyone for your help! It is much appreciated!

indigotiger

I've started knitting a wool sweater, and am not sure if it belongs in the "indigo" category or the "print" category, since it is three different shades of indigo denim blue. I suspect it needs to be a "print", since it doesn't read as solid color?

mudcat

Would you wear it as a neutral with prints? 

luz clara

that gorgeous sweater is going to be in a category of its own, too fabulous to pin down!!

Luz Clara

indigotiger

Mudcat asked:
QuoteWould you wear it as a neutral with prints? 

I would, but then my aesthetic is more Koos Van Den Akker than Eileen Fisher...  My pinafores are mostly solid colors, some with applique, or bands of pieced or block printed trim. My knit tops, dresses, and blouses are mostly patterned in small scale prints or stripes. My few current cardigans and jackets are either handknit with colorwork designs, or heavily decorated. I have been sort of thinking of this cardigan as being dark blue, with neckline and cuff decorations, rather than an overall patterning. (I am leaving off the waistline decoration called for in the pattern, since my waist needs no additional attention thank you very much!

I chose this because I don't have any outerwear in the indigo/blue range at all, and I will certainly wear it with a printed dress in the same color family, or with one of my denim pinafores and a printed top.  Hopefully the question and answer will remain relevant, since I am assuming that I will be able to finish the sweater in a timely way (I am not a fast knitter)

mudcat

Well, you are still the designer so I think you have an answer.  ;D

LillieT

Indigotiger, I think it will depend on whether you are knitting stripes or a pattern.  Stripes could come off as a gradient solid, but a design would probably look like a print.
Also, the photo you suggested - is that taken in Portland?  It is beautiful. 
Again, thank all of you for taking the time to help me out.  Lillie is ecstatic. 

indigotiger

LillieT - definitely not Portland. . Just a photo I found doing an online search using the colors you wanted.

crazyquilter

Question -  I don't think we've discussed adding trim in a different color.  I'm assuming that is OK, but thought I'd better ask before I disqualify my second garment.  I'm thinking of a 1" strip of narrow print, like a ribbon trim, but have also wondered about embroidery and other trims.

mudcat

crazyquilter

Thanks for the quick answer, Mudcat.

Dawn