Author Topic: I bought a Bernina 930- what do the presser feet look like?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline dwoodbury

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
I bought a Bernina 930- what do the presser feet look like?
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
I am confused about the correct presser feet. My machine, which I purchased recently, came with several different types of feet.  Some have 2 tabs on the sides, others have only one. The bernina reps give all kinds of conflicting info, but usually end saying I should give up and buy a new bernina.  Surely someone out there can tell me which feet do go with the machine. I would appreciate any help I can get!  Thank you in advance!

Offline Pina

Re: I bought a Bernina 930- what do the presser feet look like?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:57:27 AM »
Welcome to Stitcher's Guild,dwoodbury !   :)

Some of our members own Bernina 930s,they can give you more and better information than I can.

I own three other vintage Bernina models.As far as I know all the old style Bernina presser feet fit on the 930.
Unfortunately,some of the old style presser feet don't have any numbers.Here is a Bernina presser foot guide with pictures and numbers for newer sewing machine models,so you can see the difference when you compare them to the presser feet you own.Some dealers don't carry old style presser feet anymore.One has to look for used old style presser feet online or find a dealer who still has some.

New style Bernina presser feet have a cut out and are square.Old style Bernina presser feet don't have a cut out and are rounded.

There are generic Bernina low shank presser foot adapters available online to use with some other brand presser feet,in case you have some feet from another brand.Not all the adapters fit on some Bernina models though,even if it says on the package - for all Bernina models up to model 1630,(ask me how I know).

The bernina reps give all kinds of conflicting info, but usually end saying I should give up and buy a new bernina.

I think,people who say something like that are not very helpful or knowledgeable.They are only interested in selling brand new machines.If someone said that to me I would ask myself if that person even gives good customer support after buying a new machine at that dealer's place.

I think I bookmarked an old style Bernina presser foot reference chart.My eyes are too sore to search for it right now.Maybe another member has that chart too and can post it for you in the meantime.  ;)

Edited to add,
Here is one Bernina presser foot chart with old style presser foot numbers in parentheses,no pictures.I have another pdf chart I can't post here.It has foot numbers and order part numbers for some of the old style presser feet,if someone still sells new old style Bernina Presser feet.

I forgot to ask,do you have a Bernina 930 manual ? There are pictures and names of the 10 presser feet that came with the machine when new in the manual.If you don't have a manual,you can download a pdf copy for free from the Bernina site.
The Bernina 930 originally came with 10 presser feet.# 000,# 007,#016,#030,#145,#285,#419,#452,#470 and #560.If you have presser feet with other numbers,you can look them up on the chart I posted.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:16:03 AM by Pina »

Offline peter

• SoCal, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:33 AM »
I have some feet from my 830 that also have either one tab or two.  The older feet have one tab and the new two.  They should both be compatible with your machine.  I believe the newer Berninas have two prongs that clamp the feet.  As long as the foot is secure on your machine you're in good shape. 

Oh those dealers.  I avoid them as much as possible myself.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

The Dalai Lama

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »
. The bernina reps give all kinds of conflicting info, but usually end saying I should give up and buy a new bernina. 

LOL...this may be a special Bernina thing. I get the same sales pitch from my Bernina dealers. I go in to buy a spool of white thread...and they tell me I need to buy a new machine. The store employees must be trained that way. It's totally annoying.

Offline Elona

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »
In case no one else has posted it, here's a link to a visual of the difference between the 'old style' Bernina feet (for my 830 and 930) and the 'new' feet, at least as far as the way they will or will not fit on your machine:

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bernina-sewing-machine-presser-feet.aspx

Offline peter

• SoCal, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
Thanks Elona.  Interesting.  Here's a photo I just took of feet for my 180 and 830.  From left to right, new/old/ancient.
You can see the 1 tab vs 2 tabs on the post. 

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

The Dalai Lama

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
I have a 40 year old 730 and a 180.  The feet with the black label fit the older machines.  Can you take an existing foot with you when you make your purchase?
Lynne

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
PS don't give up, as the old Berninas run really well, I wouldn't part with mine for anything.
Lynne

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
PPS I just run up to my sewing room and experimented with feet.
Some of the new Bernina feet will fit on an old Bernina. However if you slowly turn the handwheel you will find that the needle will hit the foot rather than the throat plate.
Let me know if I can help any more.
Lynne

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »
I have a 930 that was built in 1985 and have not had a problem getting feet.  I bought mine used on eBay and it came with maybe eight feet in a foot box, a manual, and a carrying case.  When I have purchased new feet, I specify old style and have not had a problem with the dealer.  Until last year my old style feet fit on the school machines but those were replaced with newer machines.  My 930 is my everyday machine and the feet used most are the 000 foot, buttonhole foot, zipper foot and edgestitcher foot.  I just bought a piping foot and last year bought a felling foot.  The only thing I don't like about the machine is the "needle up" feature.  The 930s younger than mine had a feature where you could put the needle back down by tapping the pedal in a certain way but I must manually use the hand wheel.  If I had the space I would upgrade to their semi-industrial, the 950.  We have an old one at school and it's a lot of fun.  Just like my machine - on steroids.

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:23:17 AM »
My wife has a Bernina 930N made between 84 and 87 according to the Bernina Customer Service folks.   She has the foot and accessory box as well as all the goodies.   She's misplaced ( if she even got it ) the owners manual though.   I have it downloaded to our hard drive curtsey of Bernina CS.

The also gave me a chart with the old foot numbers crossed to the new equivalent current numbers.  But they didn't tell me if the new ones would fit.   
There are a couple new style presser feet my wife wants and were trying to find out if just maybe they'd work on the 930.

Joe
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
Joe, you need to specifically tell your Bernina people what machine it's going to be going on.  If you get a good sales clerk you should have no problem.  I have purchased two or three feet for my 930 and the clerk had to hunt for the right one.   Bernina publishes two books on their accessory feet and the sales clerk referred to them when she was looking for what I wanted.

The new feet are not interchangeable with the 1980's Berninas so you should be looking for an older foot that does the same thing or maybe an adapter that will fit your wife's machine and accept the new foot.  At least I think there is an adapter.  Ask them or ask on the Bernina site for sure.

Offline Pina

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
The also gave me a chart with the old foot numbers crossed to the new equivalent current numbers.  But they didn't tell me if the new ones would fit.   
There are a couple new style presser feet my wife wants and were trying to find out if just maybe they'd work on the 930.
Joe

If you scroll up a bit,Elona posted a link with good presser foot information.

New style Bernina presser feet have a cut out and are square.Old style Bernina presser feet don't have a cut out and are rounded.  ;)

Offline J Miller

• Sewing Machine junkie :D
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:50:14 AM »
theresa in tucson,
To my knowledge there is only one Bernina service place here in Springfield.  The other place has some current feet and accessories but nothing for the older machines.    My wife has said she's going to talk to the service shop and see what he has or can get.

As for an adapter, we found she already has one.   It adapts the Bernina to use generic or Singer type presser feet.    It came attached to walking foot attachment she got somewhere.   We are going to pool all the specialty feet we have and see if it and the generic feet will work properly or not.   I'm so not holding my breath.

Pina,

Yes I did see the link Elona posted.  Matter of fact I sent it to my wife who drooled over the goodies.
She's already got a shopping list started.

Joe
Love the old iron and wood machines.  They're solid and reliable.   
Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Offline granmomus

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
. The bernina reps give all kinds of conflicting info, but usually end saying I should give up and buy a new bernina. 

LOL...this may be a special Bernina thing. I get the same sales pitch from my Bernina dealers.
LOL, I don't have that model but know a couple of people who do, & what I have read & heard that model is the ultimate in Bernina's, the best one ever made, it has a cult following. If I ever find an affordable one I'll grab it. Probably the Bernina reps telling you to give up are hoping you'll trade it in for them to have.
Maire

eta: missing opening quote tag  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:15:23 AM by Lisa »

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
Gran, I bought mine several years ago on e-bay after reading a review Claire Kennedy had done on her first "good" machine, the 930 her aunt and mother had purchased for her when she decided to get serious about sewing.  I'm so happy I did as it is my everyday machine.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics