Author Topic: Sewing with real fur?  (Read 12199 times)

Offline jtl

Sewing with real fur?
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book or website with instructions for sewing with real fur.  I am planning to restyle several mink garments of my Mother's.  The fur is in pristine condition and there is probably enough to make three vests.  I am an experienced sewer but have never worked with fur.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Terri K

• Asheville NC USA
    • Sew Terri
Re: Sewing with real fur?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:05:05 AM »
My advice is to open up the lining - or take it out and, you'll get an idea of what they did.   Usually real furs, particularly mink are "let out" or expanded.   Since you want to re-style anyway you'll get a good education by seeing how they were made and put together.

Here's a website I found www.furs.com that provides a lot of good information on quality, origin of pelts and construction. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:19:17 AM by Terri K »
Terri K

Link to my blog Sew Terri

My Flickr Photos

Offline Surfer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:58 AM »
A thorough reference book is How to sew leather, suede and fur by Margaret B.Krohn and Phyllis W. Schwebke.

I have a hardcover edition from 1968 which is the second printing, the pictures are outdated but the information about handling , care and sewing techniques are still very valuable .
If you want to reuse old fur coats you need to check if the fur is still in a good condition. The best way to check is under the armpit, damp the leather side with a brush dipped in water and try to stretch the fur with both hands with gentle force. If the fur is still in good shape the leather side will not torn or shred.

Offline Surfer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book or website with instructions for sewing with real fur.  I am planning to restyle several mink garments of my Mother's.  The fur is in pristine condition and there is probably enough to make three vests.  I am an experienced sewer but have never worked with fur.

Thanks in advance.

I restyled an old mink coat for a client and did a blogpost  about the process

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
What a fascinating 'blog entry, Els (surfer)!  I'm going back now to read it again.  You do such marvelous work that it is a pleasure to follow along with your process.  I learn something new each time I go to your 'blog.

Kathryn

Offline mosew

• mosewz blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
I don't have any experience but my mother does (if I could just get her to post here!). I'm sure all the advice here is great, so I don't know if this will add much. My mother has made teddy bears for people out of old fur coats. She said you have to be very careful because it's essentially very fine, thin leather. Use as few stitches as possible so you have as few holes as possible. She spoke of using a 'ladder' type stitch that more joins the pieces together like butting it together, than a typical lay two sides together and turn it right side out. As someone suggested, looking inside the coat will probably give you the most information! I believe she also used a blunt needle to hand pick out any hairs that got stuck in the seam, once they're pulled out, you can't hardly find the seams.
Maureen
mosewz

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics