Author Topic: Making clothes for Build-a-Bear teddies?  (Read 14026 times)

Offline JaneStitcher

• My blog: Cut the Scraps!
Making clothes for Build-a-Bear teddies?
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Does anyone know what size doll patterns I can use to make clothes for the Build-a-Bear standard teddy bears?

Thanks.

Jane

Offline kjh9835

Re: Making clothes for Build-a-Bear teddies?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:24 AM »
Don't know about doll patterns but preemie infant clothing might work.

I used a Cinderella BAB dress that I took apart to make a pattern and made dresses for the twins to wear home from the hospital in 2010. I had to alter (reduce) the neck size since bear necks were way big but the dresses did fit. I made them from leftover fabric from the bridesmaid dresses from their parents wedding the year before.

If nothing else, buy a set and use them as template/patterns for more clothes? You can't really go by height because the bears are fatter/fluffier than most dolls are.

Kathy

Offline famorose

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
Jane Stitcher,

The only bear pattern I could ever find was Butterick 3683, sold on eBay & other similar vwebsites. It's for the 17" Build-A Bear. Includes a front buttoned shirt with peter pan collar; pants with a buttoned waist band & a nightshirt. It's basic enough to make other garments too, such as changing the collar to a mandarin type or using a back closure & making the pants more simple using a fold over waist & elastic to fit. I've done a jacket, overalls, winter long coat, etc. all from that pattern.
I can't check to see if it's still available. Internet connection is iffy where I am now & I won't be back home for another few weeks. Hope you can find the pattern.
FranA.

Offline JaneStitcher

• My blog: Cut the Scraps!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I looked at some Build-a-Bear (I'll just say BB) clothes and I think any doll clothes that would fit a round-tummy baby doll of the same height should work, with the exception of leaving room for the tail  :D.  I have the bear and don't need a pattern for it, just the bear's clothing. It's so expensive to buy the official clothing from the shop, but all my grand-children have them (the bears) and could use more clothes, so I'm still looking for some patterns.

Thanks again.

Jane

Offline Lorilw

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
I just opened my new website "Bear Wear Patterns" (bearwearpatterns.com)  Currently I have 3 patterns for Build-A-Bear clothes.  I will be adding more soon.  This website is exclusively for patterns for Build-A-Bear clothes.  Please visit my website.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
I hope I am not breaking any rules and maybe I am posting in the wrong area of the message board but i have 4 Build a Bear voice boxs, you can record your voice and then insert in the bear/doll-price was 8.00 each...I am willing to sell 4.00 each if someone has a need for them.

Dee,

I am moving your post to a new thread in the Auction/Yardsale area.  Take a look at the thread titled "Please read this thread before posting items for sale," to see if you want to edit your post.

Thanks!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline msplantladi

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks so much Lisa :)
Do what makes you happy life is to short not to.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
My granddaughter got a Build a Bear for her last birthday and I decided making clothes for it would be a perfect Christmas gift.  I looked online for patterns, but the only ones I found seemed pretty expensive since I was only planning a few outfits.  I traced around her bear and pestered an online friend who collects BABs for measurements.  Then last Thursday I finally got a bright idea while in the thrift store.  I borrowed a tape measure and found  a couple of $1 bears that I thought might work for a fitting model.  When I got home one of them perfectly fit the tracing and measurements. I got more done Friday and Saturday once I had a model than I had in three weeks.

Ready to wrap by Crazyquilter, on Flickr

I cut the t-shirt by tracing one her sister's BAB was wearing. I had to narrow it twice, but I think I've got it now. The leggings I cut from a pair of 12 month leggings, shrinking as necessary.

My big success were the shoes! You can't see them well here, but I think they are adorable. I used a free baby shoe pattern that I widened by an inch. They match the hair bows.

The stack on the rigtht are mostly leggings for my grandtwins. All this stuff except the red skirt was made from recycled t-shirts and an old denim shirt.

This is my first real success sewing with knits. I love my new serger!

Here's a shot of everything I made for the bear.

Ready to wrap the Build a Bear clothes by Crazyquilter, on Flickr

And one of the real Build a Bear AKA Cookie Dough wearing one of the outfits.

Cookie Dough in her new clothes by Crazyquilter, on Flickr

Offline msplantladi

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
oh I think you did a great job and I am sure your GD thought so too.
Do what makes you happy life is to short not to.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
Thank you!  I think she really liked the present.  She was most impressed though with the high heels that I ordered from BAB.  She's used to Grandma making clothes for her stuffed animals.  She didn't know I had access to real BAB stuff.

Offline sewingmama

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
I am not sure if you can still buy them but, I use Cabbage Patch Clothes from when my older daughters were young You need to adjust for the tail but other than that they work perfectly:)

Offline genniewren

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
Try looking for Baby Born patterns. I have a swedish book of doll clothes that claims the full size Baby Born clothing will fit the Build A Bears/Teddy Bear Workshop bears.

Look at Wolly Online. She has some free Baby Born patterns that might work for you - even if you need to resize slightly. Some of her patterns are not in English and you do have to trace the pieces from the print out as she overlays them to save paper!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics