Author Topic: Bernina minimatic 707  (Read 5325 times)

Offline fishfrienddiver

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Bernina minimatic 707
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
Hi,
I am a sewing novice and am looking at buying a Bernina minimatic 707 from craigslist. Is 250 a good price for the machine? Is this a good machine for beginners.
Thanks for your help.
Jay

Offline Merl

• "
Re: Bernina minimatic 707
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:34:37 AM »
Hi, Jay. Welcome to Stitchers Guild !
Making a quick search for the machine, it looks like it would be a good machine for a beginning sewer.
Berninas have a good reputation as a high quality machine and hold their value because of it.
Just because I might think  $250. is a lot doesn't mean the machine isn't worth it.
Looking at the features the machine has to offer by way of stitches, free arm and a huge selection of feet, I would say it is probably a good deal for you if the machine works and is complete.
Keep in mind that parts for a Bernina are expensive. I have a Bernina 830 Record form the 70's that has a bad foot pedal. At $150. for a replacement, I'll have to take it apart and fix it myself or replace it with something else.
Bear in mind to that just because this is an older, all metal machine doesn't mean it will do "heavy duty" or "industrial" work.
The machine you are looking at is just a good quality home sewing machine and would be a good choice if you intend to stay with sewing.
If you try sewing for a while and decide not to pursue it further, you could probably resell the machine for what you paid for it as long as you take care of it.
Learning some basic sewing machine maintenance will be absolutely necessary for this machine as well.
Older machines like this are made to be taken care of with regular cleaning and oiling before and after use and, probably an annual service either by a qualified technician or you, if you know how.
$ 250. is probably as good a price as you will find, depending on what the machine might come with.
Knowing what I know now about older sewing machines, I have to say I would spend the $250. on this Bernina rather than the $180 we spent on the EroPro "Shark" that we got for an entry level sewing machine.
Good luck to you !

Offline babydoll

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
I am coming late to this request for information so sorry about this.

I have a bernina 707 that i bought from the sale rooms.   It came in a cream coloured plastic carry case and looked as though it had never been used.  it had a green plastic box with bobbins, quick unpick, oil, 4 feet - an embroidery foot, an edgestitching/blind stitch foot, a satin stitch foot, a zipper foot and the ordinary zig zag/universal  foot was on the machine.

it didn't have the instruction booklet but this was available on the bernina usa website to download and this is what i did.  neither did it have the foot pedal and the electric cord - both available separately for lots of money from bernina.     It did have the bobbin case and 4 bobbins with it.   

I enjoy sewing on my 707 - it does a lovely satin stitch and is the machine i am currently using.    It isn't quiet though but i don't mind this. 

I would have preferred an old  830 or one of the newer 1350 bernina machines for me but i bought it initially for my mother to go quilting.
it is not as portable as a singer featherweight  - the bernina weighs a ton.

If you go to look at the machine take your own thread and a needle and fabric to sew on - some of the older machines haven't been used for years and the needle is damaged and the thread rotten.   

As to whether it is worth $250 it depends on so many variables:   how many feet are included, is the instruction book with it, is the bobbin still with the machine, is the foot pedal and electricity cord included?   Each foot costs not less than 15 here in England and some of them cost a great deal more.   Instruction books, bobbins, and foot pedals and cords are also expensive.

Good luck.

Ruth

Offline lilchief

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
*bump* :)

I have a Bernina 707 in good condition but with one damaged part (arrgh!!). It's the wheel that drives the sewing machine that the motor belt is attached to. Does anyone know where to find one? Does anyone have one laying around?

Two other questions, does anyonw here know if it handles #69 thread? How many layers of nylon, 800 Cordura, 1000 Curdura and binding tape can it handle with the motor driving the machine? From the pictures in the manual and what I've read on the web, the machine is mostly for normal cotton fabric. But can it handle heavier materials? :)

Thank you for all the input! :D

Offline Pina

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
From the pictures in the manual and what I've read on the web, the machine is mostly for normal cotton fabric. But can it handle heavier materials? :)

Thank you for all the input! :D

Hi,here is a free Bernina 707 / 717 pdf instruction manual,(the pictures are not very good),you may want to download and read up on what type of material the machine can handle.The old Berninas are good garment sewing machines ! The presser foot lifts up to about 7 mm,(or one can fit 4 quarters under the presser foot  :D ).There has to be a bit of space left under the presser foot so the feed dogs can move up and down to transport the material on their own.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

I have a Bernina 707 in good condition but with one damaged part (arrgh!!). It's the wheel that drives the sewing machine that the motor belt is attached to. Does anyone know where to find one?

Do you have a part number? I may know where to find one...no promises.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics