Author Topic: Baby Lock Serger and Bias Attachment  (Read 4057 times)

Offline SunnyElle

• Sewing in Chicago since 1978.
    • A. Powers Design
Baby Lock Serger and Bias Attachment
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
I just watched an episode of Martha's Sewing Room and her guest used a Baby Lock serger that had a bias binder attachment on it. Not a foot...it was an attachment that screws onto the bed (like you can get for industrials).

I'm ready to jump ship!!! The Viking ship, that is, because Viking doesn't have an attachment like this for their sergers. They do have a bias foot, but I don't like it.

Does anyone have and use a Baby Lock with the attachment? It looks FANTASTIC. How much do Babylocks cost???? I wonder if I can get a job there and if the employee discounts are good.....  ;D

Arizona
 Here's a photo of it
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:25:27 PM by SunnyElle »

Offline Phoenix461

Re: Baby Lock Serger and Bias Attachment
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »
This is the bias binding attachment to the Babylock Evolution serger.  The serger is a gem of a serger.  I am ordering the bias binding attaching in the various sizes available as my Xmas gift to me.  I also sent you a PM.

Offline PattiH

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »
Umm ... Does your Viking have screw holes on the table that you use with the coverstitch?  Or do you have a coverstitch on your serger?  There are generic binders you can buy to use on sergers or even use with your sewing machine. 

http://stores.ebay.com/SHARP-SEWING-SUPPLIES/_i.html?_nkw=binder&_arm=1&_armi=BROTHER+Parts+%28Home%29&_armm=351&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fstores.ebay.com%2FSHARP-SEWING-SUPPLIES%2FBROTHER-Parts-Home-%2F_i.html%3F_nkw%3Dbinder%26_arr%3D1%26_fsub%3D312930719%26_sid%3D304381499&_sid=304381499&_rdc=1

This is the link to a company that a lot of people buy binders from.  I noticed that there is a set of five binders that look interesting.

Patti

Offline SunnyElle

• A. Powers Design
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks Phoenix, for the PM. It was really informative.

Patti,
No, there are no screw holes on the VIking 936. Or any other Viking serger (that I know of). There's a Babylock dealer in the burbs (Linda Z's), so I'm going to check out that serger. While I'm there I'll just *have* to check out the Ellisimo, too. lol. Nancy Zieman uses an Ellisimo on her show and I love how it sounds.

Arizona

ETA: Thanks for that link, Patti. I checked it out and they have some feet for my Juki industrial that I think I'm going to buy. Their prices are good!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:47:26 AM by SunnyElle »

Offline SewGraceful

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:49 AM »
You may want to look at Debbie Cook's Coverstitch Info.  She has lots of good information and comparisons of machines.  I have the Babylock Evolution.  I choose it over the Viking s25 because of all the different feet and attachments that you can get for the Babylock.  I purchased the 16 foot package with storage case and Serger Feet Workbook when I got my machine and have really enjoyed using the various feet and attachments. 

Offline SunnyElle

• A. Powers Design
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:19 AM »
Thank you for the link to Debbie Cook's website. That's a great resource!

Arizona

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
I only mention this just considering I surfed away and saw the price of the Evolution:  if you are just looking for a way to do fast bias binding and you don't mind using a regular machine, I have found the bias binding foot for my vintage Singers is a breeze.  Mine only takes inch-wide binding but I think the modern equivalents are more flexible.  And orders of magnitude less expensive.

Here's a picture of a blouse finished using this binder, with a linen strip.  It folds and sews in one operation.

My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
Very pretty finish, Elizabeth. I haven't used a bias binder in years. Maybe I should dig mine out for the next binding project. I always found it a bit fiddly, especially when going around curves. Maybe since I have more patience now, I'll enjoy playing with it some more. I have a future project in mind where the binder could play a major starring role...

Kathryn

Offline SunnyElle

• A. Powers Design
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
Thanks ejvc, however, I have a binder attachment for my Juki industrial and I use it to apply binding to wovens. It works great, which is why I want one just like it on a cover stitcher for knits. I also have an adjustable bias binder foot for my VIking and that foot works great, too, except on curves. Well, slight curves are fine, but I can't successfully use the foot for more extreme curves, especially concave curves. That may be just me, though. I really want to apply knit binding to knit necklines and think the binder attachment on a cover stitcher would be perfect. The price of the Babylock is daunting, though!! I'm thinking I'll just get a BLCS since I already have 2 overlockers and really don't need another. Maybe that will be less expensive. ??

Arizona

Offline SewGraceful

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »
I'm thinking I'll just get a BLCS since I already have 2 overlockers and really don't need another. Maybe that will be less expensive.

The BLCS is definitely cheaper than the Evolution.  I went for the Evolution because I wanted a combo machine.  All the coverstitch feet and attachments that fit the Evolution also fit the BLCS. 

Offline PattiH

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
Arizona,

BLCS is on my wish list.  I found that with the Evolve I didn't like having to switch back and forth.  I got the Janome 1000CP, but really didn't like that machine and sold it.  I have decided that I am not a Janome person.  They are great machines, but not the one for me.  Since it looks like it will be a while until I can afford the BLCS, I plan on getting the Brother 23?? coverstitch machine in February.  A lot of people seem to have it and like it and it is much more in my price range for the foreseeable future.

Patti

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
Arizona

I have the Babylock Evolution and I do have the bias attachment too but haven't got round to using it.  When I was at the Houston Quilt festival last year they were doing a special offer on a bag of assorted attachments and I went away and looked up the comparable prices back in the UK and they was such a good buy that I bought it and carried it back home to the UK in my luggage.

I do love the machine, and have used the two functions, serging and cover stitch, have actually found a few uses for the wave stitch (I didn't think I would) and use it to attach elastic to some kwick sew panties I made see here on my
blog http://psewing.blogspot.com/search?q=kwick+sew+panties so as you can see with a woolly thread it works really well.

Don't think you will be disappointed if you were to get one but the price of them does take your breath away, however I bought my first baby lock almost 25 years ago, never had it repaired, serviced etc and until I bought my new one about a year ago I was still using it and still have it now (just would need to remember how to thread it as its not as easy as the Evolution).
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
I totally would love a coverstitch with a binder. I mistook your initial purpose I think, I got it into my head that it was bias binding you wanted to do.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline karbn8ed

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
I saw that episode also and would love to be able to put bias on in one step.  It looked easy and very neat after attached.   I have a Singer Serger with 2 screw holes, would this bias attachment fit?  I've seen similar attachments on other website, but I'm hesitant to purchase. Cutex Sewing Supply out of New York (Ebay seller) has several sizes.  Has anyone done business with them?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics