Author Topic: Pfaff Creative Vision 4.0 problems  (Read 4079 times)

Offline thequiltedbead

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Pfaff Creative Vision 4.0 problems
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:33:33 AM »
Hi Im a newbie in here but have been quilting for quite some time.  A couple of years ago I made a huge mistake and sold my Bernina Aurora 440E.  Was sold a bill of goods on the Pfaff.

Here is my trouble....I am trying to freemotion quilt a flannel quilt.  Both the top and the backing are flannel.  It just wont do it.  I have tried everything.  changing needles, threads, cleaning the machine.  It skips stitches and then the thread breaks.  Does anyone have any experience with flannel and pfaffs?

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
Leslie

Offline Meg

Re: Pfaff Creative Vision 4.0 problems
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
Leslie,
I have a Pfaff QE4.0, have never tried quilting with flannel, but may have a thought or two about your issue.  First, welcome to this board.  There are lots of people to help and inspire!
I've found that if the thread is breaking there's a problem with how it's threaded or how the thread is coming off the spool. Please accept apologies if this is too basic:  Clip the thread (between the spool and the tension discs), pull the thread out through the needle.  Check the orientation of the spool:  Hold the spool in the right hand, and with the left fingers take thread off the spool, about 18" or so.  Bring your hands together so the thread dangles down; if the thread makes a "U", that's the orientation the spool should sit in.  If the thread twists, it'll cause problems later on.  Turn the spool around (180 degrees) and the twist will disappear.  Thread the machine (presser foot up).  Re-set the bobbin.

Sometimes I find that I need to put the thread in a coffee cup on the table behind the machine, bringing the thread up and over the top of the machine.  This will help prevent thread from catching on rough spots on the edge of the spool.

Did you remember to set the machine to 'free motion quilting', and are you using the clear FMQ/darning foot?

I hope this helps!  Have a great day.  Meg

Offline thequiltedbead

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »
Argh had my post all typed out and my laptop ate it!  here it goes again.

The thread I was using was Aurafil 30 wt.  good quality cotton thread  I had it on the embroidery thread holder with the thread loops extended about 6-8".  Also tried it with the thread spooling off the spool horizontally.  No difference.  I have tried cotton, silk, polyester, waxed cotton.  I have also tried 3 different needles.  all topstitch, 80, 90, 100.  Brand new needles.  Upon closer inspection, it seems that the needles are grabbing onto the fabric and pulling it up on the upstroke.  I dont know if this is new or not.  Never paid that close attention to it. 

The machine is set up for freemotion with the appropriate foot.  now comes the creepy part.... take a look at the video.  This happens after I push the needle down button during the process of bringing up the bobbin thread to the top.  I am not touching the machine at all during this and the foot pedal is free and clear.  http://www.twitvid.com/Y6CBO 

I havent done much quilting lately and come to think of it, I dont know if I have really ever sucessfully (without pulling my hair out) quilted a top on this machine. 

Was wracking my brains trying to figure out how I could afford the Bernina 820 (keeping the pfaff for embroidery) but now I'm hearing horror stories about them.

I equate this to another holy grail quest...I also do flameworking or lampworking.  Making glass beads on a torch.  The holy grail there is the perfect clear glass that is compatible with other glass.  In quilting its a machine with even stitches and a long throat.  Shouldnt be too hard huh? 

I have one other top to quilt.  This one is batiks top and backing.  Lets see if I have troubles with that.  You may hear me scream.
Thanks again
Leslie

Offline Pina

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »
Hi Leslie,welcome to Stitcher's Guild !  :)
I hope someone can help you with your Pfaff Creative Vision 4.0 quilting problems ! In case you don't have the free Pfaff Creative Vision pdf techniques book,you can download it here.It has a free-motion sewing section starting on page 6.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
Hi Leslie, welcome to Stitcher's Guild. I hope someone can address the problems you are having and find an immediate solution. From what you describe, though, it sounds as though your Pfaff may eventually need a trip to the Pfaff sewing repair shop just to check to be sure that everything is tweaked properly.

Here is some info that we like to give to our new posters to help you get around the site a bit more easily:

1.   Visit the “Are You New?” topic by clicking here:  Are you new? 

2.   Learn about the forum rules by clicking here: Forum decorum...FAQs

3.   Play in the Sandbox by clicking here : Sandbox .  There you can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight (like posting photos or creating your avatar) without affecting any of the other active topics.  It’s truly a “no worries” place to play and learn.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of us four site administrators or the site moderator.  One or the other of us is almost always around.  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright red or bright blue.  You can always send us a private message at any time if you need help.

Have fun looking through the site. Come back and post often! :)

Kathryn

Offline thequiltedbead

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »
Ok getting closer to resolution.  Changed the foot and quilting to spring foot.  Still having tension problems, (upper thread is pulling bobbin up) but at least no more skipped stitches.  I even managed to do a test piece on the flannel.  For now, my tension problems will be resolved by using same thread up top and in bobbin.  Not ideal but will let me get these two tops finished.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I appreciate the help.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »
Oh, it's so nice to hear that your problem is nearly solved and that you can get your projects done, Leslie. Have fun finishing up. :)

Kathryn

Offline LauraM

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:18 AM »
If the bobbin thread is pulling to the top, you might try lowering your top tension a 1/2 number at a time to see if that corrects the problem.  You said you were using 30wt aurofil thread - you really need to use that in the bobbin as well.  If you were using 30wt on top and 50wt on bottom, that could have caused some of your problems.  As 30wt thread is thicker than 50wt you should be using a size 14 needle also.  The needle pulling the fabric on the upstroke would indicate to me that the needle is too fine for the thread/fabric, or that it has a burr on it.  Sometimes you can get a "bad" package of needles.  Pushing the needle down button is to start the machine stitching automatically - I would use the handwheel to pick up the bobbin thread for the first couple stitches.

Hope this helps and you get your projects finished soon....

Laura
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics