• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
December 13, 2019, 06:44:08 pm

News:

If you have any trouble, or anything doesn't seem to be working properly, email DragonLady: dl@artisanssquare.com for assistance.

Suggestions to add to an ultimate SAD (Scissors Addiction Disorder) gift

Started by GuerraStelle, November 15, 2019, 05:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuerraStelle

So I'm putting together an ultimate Kai scissors gift basket for my wife, but I'm curious what other high quality "essential accessories" besides rotary cutters that I might add? Any other awesome items or storage solutions that you might suggest? Thanks!

This is the list of what is going in the gift basket, which has continued to grow thanks to your inputs, and a lot of articles on great sewing gadgets. Thank you!

SCISSORS / SHEARS
Kai 5100SER  4 in. Micro-Serrated Scissors
Kai 5100B-P. 4 in. Blunt Tip, Bent Handle Scissors
Kai 5100C:   4 in. Needle Craft (Curved Tip) Scissors
Kai 7100,    4 1/4 in. Professional Scissors
Kai 5130:    5 in. Double Curve Scissors
Kai N3160.  6 1/4 in. Paper Scissors
Kai 7170,    6 2/3 in. Professional Scissors
Kai 7205,    8 in. Professional Shears
Kai 5350.    9 in. Pinking Shears
Kai 7230SE,  9 in. Serrated Professional Shears
Kai 7250SL, 10 in. Professional Shears (Slim-Line Version)
Kai 7300,   12 in. Professional Shears

P.S. as of today, KaiScissors.com not only provides free shipping But 25% off your order with the code, "THANKS"

ACCESSORIES
Bobbin Buddies ~ Set of 20
Clover 490/NV Hera Marker
Clover 2-Type Bodkin - 4001
Clover Chalker
Crafters Workshop TrueCut Non-Slip Ruler Grips, 30/Pkg
Curve Runner - 8 in.
Curve Runner - 12 in.
Dritz 607 Fabric Pattern Weights, 4-Count
Dritz 647 Loop Turner
Dritz 673-60 Dual Purpose Marking Pen, Blue & Purple
Dritz 694 Marking Pen, Disappearing Ink, Extra Fine Point, Purple
Dritz 796 Quick Turn
Dritz 915 Jean-A-Ma-Jig
Jaybird Hex N More Ruler
Kai KSR Seam Remover
Kai 5125 Thread Snips
Magnetic Pin Holder
Magnetic Pin Wand (2x)
That Purple Thang (2-Pack)

CCL

Hi GuerraStella - I assume you are thinking about a couple of Kai scissors? I just checked  their site for ideas.  I have the professional 7250L (for lefties) and they are hands down the best scissors I have had - including Ginghers.  I also have the 4 inch 5130DC curved edge embroidery scissors when I need to snip just a thread or two and the 5 1/2 inch (N5135) embroidery scissors which I use for tricky cutting.  I find these make a great set for me. 

A seam ripper is also a great tool, I like the Clover one that you can get most places, this one at Joanns.  Speaking of Clover, she might also like a good chalker if she doesn't have one here's one at WaWak which has lots of sewing supplies.  I couldn't quickly find my favorite which is a Clover Chalker (I have but don't like my Dritz one) on line.

If you are also getting the rotary cutter - does she have a cutting mat to use it on?  Maybe a see through grid ruler - they come in 3 inch widths and larger here's one at Joann's but you can find an assortment at lots of stores and Amazon - one brand is omnigrid.

Another accessory I got as a gift for a friend is a magnetic pin holder - she just told me she loves it.  I love mine too.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head, but I am sure others will chime in with better ideas!  Good luck, what a thoughtful gift!

GuerraStelle

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

fzxdoc

Wow, what an amazing gift for your wife. She'll have every cutting and snipping need covered.

What a good husband you are. :)

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

sdBev

GuerraStelle
Thats a great list that every stitcher would love to receive.  My only suggestion is not a cutting tool. It is a measuring tool called the Curve Runner. It looks like a plastic pizza cutter. The wheel measures by rolling. Its the best tool Ive ever used for measuring curves, works on straight lines too. Ive got and use both sizes.

GuerraStelle

Thanks for all these suggestions! The gift basket continues to grow and I'm sure she will be floored when she sees it

sewsy

What a lucky wife! How very thoughtful of you to do this for her. I didn't see Kai embroidery scissors (I refer to them as "tailors points"). I absolutely LOVE mine. Sharp all the way to the tip. Indispensable sewing room tool.

GuerraStelle

Hi sewsy,
When I talked to a representative at Kai, she suggested that the 4 1/4 in. Scissors would suffice for embroidery needs. Do you think The 5 1/2 in. embroidery scissors is needed when I have the 4 1/4 and 6 2/3 in pairs? They all have the same design and appearance from what I can see
Thanks!

sewsy

Quote from: GuerraStelle on November 16, 2019, 10:36:57 amHi sewsy,
When I talked to a representative at Kai, she suggested that the 4 1/4 in. Scissors would suffice for embroidery needs. Do you think The 5 1/2 in. embroidery scissors is needed when I have the 4 1/4 and 6 2/3 in pairs? They all have the same design and appearance from what I can see
Thanks!

I think that if you've got the 4.25" scissors, you're good. If your dear wife needs anything more, she'll let you know. I think that what you're doing is so thoughtful. What a wonderful spouse you are! My compliments.