Author Topic: What materials to use for iron board cover/padding?  (Read 12591 times)

Offline andib

What materials to use for iron board cover/padding?
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »
I am going to make an ironing board cover and pad, b/c I don't like the quality of what is available locally.  What do you recommend for the padding and cover materials.  I have used both cotton and Quik silver covers and each has pros and cons.  I would love to hear your experiences!

Offline Susan in Miami

Re: What materials to use for iron board cover/padding?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
Hi Andib,

I love a lot of steam when I am sewing and pressing, the silver covers just don't work well with a lot of steam, it bounces back at me. I am happiest with a heavy cotton cover. I read somewhere to use a wool blanket for padding. I do not have an old blanket so I opted for a very heavy old cotton towel, more like a bath sheet, and it works like a charm. Let us know what you wind up with.

Susan
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:04:51 AM by Susan in Miami »

Offline andib

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »
It is interesting that you had the same issue with the quik silver...I have two boards, and the one with the cotton cover has rusted b/c of the steam, but the one with the reflective fabric has not. I used the last nice day of the summer to scrape and repaint the rusted one, as it is a better board, and is more sturdy.

Do you find the towel spongy, or is it pretty smooth for ironing as well as pressing?

Offline Susan in Miami

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:45 AM »
I find that the towel is smooth and I totally forget it is there; but, when I remove it, the lack of padding is definately noticeable.

Susan

Offline Ann C

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
I am one who has used old wool blankets (army blankets work best - thick, heavy and felted from washing).  I have two pressing surfaces I've used these on and they couldn't be better.  I cover them with heavy cotton drill (a utility fabric that can be found at JoAnn's - you'll probably have to ask for it).  They say that if you use the silver ones when tryng to fuse, the heat will be too much and your fusing may not be satisfactory.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
I too use old wool blankets as padding and cotton as a covering.  Until recently I used old cotton sheets, but my supply has run out; my current covering is heavy calico.

I did try one of the silver coated ones, once, but it blasted the steam back at me - quite frightening at the time - so I went back to blankets...

Offline andib

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks to all for your input!  I have a large piece of wool I can use for the padding, and some tightly woven (ugly) cotton I can use for the cover.

Ann C., I never thought about the fusing...the current silver coated board I use for ironing, and the cotton covered one is in my sewing room for pressing, so I never noticed!  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
I did a "re pad" recently and didn't have any wool available. Although, I'm thinking I should have tried the thrift shop for some old army blankets.

I ended up trying a couple of commercially available "ironing board felt pads".  The Rowenta brand was OK, but not wide enough for my extra wide board. The Barbantia brand was nicer, thicker and wider. I'm quite happy with it. This is from Amazon.com, price about $16.

Offline Kuby

• Kuby's Korner
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
I have one of those silicon covers (the company name escapes me but they are at all of the shows) I'm able to press shirts with button side down. I love it and hate it in some ways. I love that I can use lower heat and it steams very well. I hate the fact that it's so slippery. You can get a muslin cover for the cover that will supposedly stop the slippage.

Kuby

Offline Betboyd

• Bboydshouse
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »
I have some old wool blankets, good to hear they are good for padding, I dont use them on my beds ,can't stand wool to touch me.  I just removed my old cover yesterday , and was trying to decide what to replace with.  The bad is not that bad,  I used a old quilted cotton matteress cover last time for padding..but ,the wool blanket sounds better...

Offline TwistedBobbins

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:43 AM »
I made a pattern for my board, and used 2 layers of warm/natural quilt batting and then used a remmant of wide quilt backing cotton satteen with a drawstring on it.

Offline Neha smith

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »
I use old heavy cotton towel. Works best for me! :)
It creates a good quality of padding for your iron board.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
I like a new ironing board cover and make them frequently from those big ol' pieces you sometimes end up with. This is one time when grain isn't really an issue during use.  There's a thin layer of batting down towards the bottom, but I must have 10 covers on top.  It's getting nice and cushy.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
I'm with Bev.  I never taken a cover/pad set off...I just keep adding new ones.  Makes the edge of the board beautifully rounded which allows me to use it for shaping. ;) ;D

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
How do you manage to keep adding new ones without taking old ones off??  The new ones just don't seem to be as big as the old ones and I have a hard time keeping the newer one on.  It fits okay as long as it's the only one on there.  I do have an old ironing board, though.  I've had it for 32 years, so maybe it's just the size of it??
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
How do you manage to keep adding new ones without taking old ones off??  The new ones just don't seem to be as big as the old ones and I have a hard time keeping the newer one on.  It fits okay as long as it's the only one on there.  I do have an old ironing board, though.  I've had it for 32 years, so maybe it's just the size of it??
Short answer: Franken pattern and elastic.
Long Answer: On the floor, I flipped the ironing board upside down on some of that paper interfacing and traced the outline of my ironing board.  Put the ironing board back in it's place and moved the interfacing to my cutting table (cutting table is much easier on my back.)  At the cutting table I added  3.5" to the outline of my ironing board i.e. my "new perimeter".  The first time I wasn't sure how this would work and didn't want to invest a lot of effort into a "muslin" for an ironing board.  So I dug through the elastic stash and found a clear 3/8" elastic about 3/4" the length of the "new perimeter".  I set the serger stitch length at 5, quartered the elastic just like doing a waistband and I serged the elastic along the "new perimeter".  Got to tell you, this was the easiest time I've ever put a cover on an ironing board. No fiddling with pulling cords that pull away from the cover if I'm too enthusiastic.

I'm dumbfounded, but I've never had to alter my pattern or procedure a bit.  I just keep cutting new covers and serging elastic to the edge.  I'm sure the elastic could be zig-zag in place if a serger is not available. I have had to pin (with safety pins) some of my covers to the previous covers.  (Knits want to stretch and move.)  But otherwise, I either think "this cover is getting yucky" or "this would make a great cover" + 30 minutes and I've got a NEW cover! :confettitoss:

Offline becksnyc

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
I like old cotton bed pads for the padding, but a wool blanket is probably easier to find.  I wonder which wicks moisture away better?  (I already googled it, and didn't find a definitive answer....yet.)
I used those silver pads for years, and while they are great for production work (you can slide garments easily on & off the board), they do tend to reflect moisture back up to the fabric.  Fine if you have an iron that toggles between steam and dry, like a gravity-fed iron.  Not so good for typical home iron.
Cotton duck is best for tailoring, IMHO, but many of my co-workers made board covers from upholstery weight cottons.  Polished cotton was slick and absorbent.  Fun to experiment.
I'm with sdBev on the elastic board covers.  I do exactly what she does.  The padding condenses with use, so adding another layer just makes the board better.
Becks

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
Okay fine!  So I've been really lazy and I've purchased maybe 2 covers for mine...or has it really been only 1 new cover...in the 32 years that I've have my board.  It has to get really, really grungy and cut up....okay, so if we're admitting things here...I sometimes cut my strip pieced segments apart and I slip every so often, the cover gets nicks and the nicks get bigger over time.  :-[    Now I remember, I've purchased 2 covers.  One had a draw string and this one has an elastic.  The elastic one seems better, still kind of jumps off the edge every so often, but the padding is really good and it was one of the cheaper ones with a very non-offensive print.  I like that.

I do not have a serger, I'm still learning to be friends with my zig zag stitch.  I'm a quilter for the most part and don't need to use anything other than a straight stitch for the most part.  I suppose if really had to, I could follow those directions and actually make my own.  Not real sure about what you mean regarding "quartered the elastic just like doing a waistband".  I don't do garment sewing.  What kind of interfacing?  I wouldn't use any padding?  Just my old cover, right?  I don't really need a cover right now, but I'd like to make notes and pin them to my bulletin board for future reference.
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics